***Petition: PJ, Please Play A Tragically Hip Song In Ottawa***

Comments

• NWOntario said:
    Arkells covered "Poets" at their Kingston show back in April. Max is obviously a very different vocalist than Ed, but they did a really good job of it. I don't think the Hip's necessarily the easiest band to cover, but this song suited them perfectly. (Also, now that the Hip aren't touring, I've started seeing a lot of Arkells shows, which is a surprise, but there you have it! They rule.)
    They also covered music at work when my work had them for a private gig recently
  • Always had a crush on Emma lovewell and that grew even more today. Did her tragically hip afo ride. Bump
  • BenToadBenToad Posts: 39
    I can fo sure hear Ed's voice lending itself to Bobcaygeon, and Wheat Kings in a slower acoustic set.  I also think it might go well with Scared, So Hard Done By, and Grace Too.  
    Maybe they could even just have a few members of the band Jam with them at the end of the show like they did with Donna Grantis the last time they were in Toronto.
    Is there any Hip songs that would work as an intro / outro to any Pearl Jam songs like they have done with other covers, or even some of their own songs that don't get much full play?

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    Pretty please!!
  • You know guys - if you wanna practice the hip song in Québec City just to make sure it works, I won't mind.

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Hump bump
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    since I'm no longer going to Ottawa, should I change it to "one of the canadian shows"?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 783
    since I'm no longer going to Ottawa, should I change it to "one of the canadian shows"?
    While I'm going to Ott, Ham and TO...I think a Hip tune in Ottawa makes most sense.  So, respectfully....no. :smile:
    Barrie - '98
    Toronto - '96, '00, '03, '05, '06, '16, '20, '22
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
    Hip Bump!
  • It’s august and this thread hasn’t had a bump since mid-July. 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Please. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,396
    The Tea Party pulled out Bobcageon last night
    that's me front curly Hair on the rail n a shirt I thought ud like, Hugh!
  • PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    Great idea.  Courage or wheat kings would be awesome.  

I still remember this.  Awesome gesture from pearl jam.  

tish said:
    The Tea Party pulled out Bobcageon last night
    that's me front curly Hair on the rail n a shirt I thought ud like, Hugh!
    nice!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 894
    Would be epic
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
    I hope it happens. 
  • KS35116KS35116 Posts: 17
    I'll sign this petition. It would be a wonderful way to close the circle on the band's obvious affinity and respect for Gord and the Hip. I like all of the suggestions so far but have to think Bobcaygeon would be the obvious choice for a host of reasons (emotional resonance, Ed's register, lots of space to jam). 
  • Getting closer bump
    Hope this happens.
    Please 

• PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    The place will erupt if they do this.  

• Highly unlikely but would be boss... 
    Highly unlikely but would be boss... 

Boss indeed!
    Please and thank you bump!

• WaitnSince67WaitnSince67 Milton, Ontario Canada Posts: 79
    Been thinking of this for such a long time. All the song suggestions have been great. I think they would do a great job covering On The Verge. 
    Washington, DC (June 14, 1998)
    Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018)
    Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018)
  • LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 783
    The Woodstock '99 thread had me reminiscing about the Hip's set there.  Good times.

Full vid here: https://youtu.be/I1dzWR3ghcA
    Barrie - '98
    Toronto - '96, '00, '03, '05, '06, '16, '20, '22
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
    edited August 2022
    LaFleur said:
    The Woodstock '99 thread had me reminiscing about the Hip's set there.  Good times.

Everytime you see a Canadian flag in the documentary, you know exactly why it's there. 

JimmyV said:
    LaFleur said:

Everytime you see a Canadian flag in the documentary, you know exactly why it's there. 
    thought the same thing when there was a 2 second clip of the stage from behind the crowd and I saw about 4 canadain flags waving and I knew the Hip's set must have been next up
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    JimmyV said:
    LaFleur said:

Saw the Hip in the 90s at a small theater on LI, not knowing too much about them in these early internet days, outside of the few albums I had and that they were Canadian so maybe I'd see a few Canadians

Never forget driving thru the muni lot in the village before the show, almost no NY plates and tons from Ontario.  

Outside the theater the village was quiet but inside the 500 seat venue,  Canadian flags everywhere and the place was packed and on fire. Just one of those nights...