*** Pearl Jam London, UK Fanviews 7/8/22 ***

13»

Comments

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    edited July 2022
    You mention Anthony  the  Australian  guy. 
    I have a small story . I too managed  to have a massive headache  all day took all manner of pills to try keep it away. As the  set unfolded i loved the tempo, crowd were nice which  isnt a guarantee in london outdoors in the summer.
    Anyway i need to find antony.  He was with my dear friends  ewa and Keith in front of jeff and mike with you  pap. 
    Ive never  met antony when the show finished i waited to see them.  Over they came with Anthony.  (5 mins before i watched jeff throw his sweatband  as i always do) .
    Well antony walked ahead of ewa and said to me i want YOU  to have this i heard a lot about your  journey through out the years whilst in the line with ewa!
    In the past ive passed drum sticks to others and i passed picks to 3 people  around me . Kids, first time goers. I always do.
    This  guy blew my fuckin mind . I cried a little as i do. A lot.
    I said i can't  take it. But he held my wrist and looked in my eyes and said take it. I want you to have it. I know yoh will cherish  it. 

Nice! What a gent! :smiley:
    When did Jeff throw his sweatband though? I don't seem to recollect that. London was indeed a bit of a blur...
    Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    When they bowed at the  end. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -

^ The Angry Elephant (Thanks Anthony from Australia for pointing that out to me!) :smiley:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    When they bowed at the  end. 
    You're right. How you like my pics?
    Wonderful  i have a few  my good lady took. Night  2
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    The song that stands out most for me from both nights is Quick Escape. It was just so powerful and such a great live track. It’s my anthem for the two nights I did at Hyde Park. And what a glorious two nights it was! 
    rustedsigns
    Sad i missed quick escape. My fav with whoever said feom gigaton.Which should be played way more.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• UKBgirlUKBgirl UK Posts: 99
    Taken me a while to be able to do this - I'm still reeling from my first time seeing PJ!

For a first show we managed to be two back from front rail on the aisle rail Stones side.

The intro was a great touch and I managed to get a video of the guys coming on stage.  Hearing those first chords of Betterman (not even a particular personal favourite) gave me chills.

It definitely didn't feel like a festival set, some really good deep cuts.  

It was my daughter's (14) first big gig and we had mostly positive experiences - she made eye contact and got a wave from Mike!  Also shout out to the two guys who made a mini barrier round her when she needed a sit down breather after the Pixies. 

Unfortunately at the encore an off her face woman appeared beside us and almost knocked my kid flying several times before I managed to get between them and play the part of brick wall.  Not enough to spoil what was an amazing experience and didn't put us off going back for Night 2.
  • lyears1lyears1 Manchester, UK Posts: 21
    Probably would rank that in the bottom half of the 6 PJ gigs I have seen. Still great but not quite as good as some I've seen, I think Leeds 2014 permanently spoiled me though!

Finally got the holy grail song of Light Years and it was superb. Together with the emotional dedication to Donna it was quite a moment.
    Breath, Save You, and In Hiding were a great treat too. The band still sound great even as they are getting a bit older now.

Was surprised actually at the amount of deep cuts they played, given it was effectively a festival crowd. I was in 10C and was surprised that the fans around me didn't bring more energy, though I've heard that you could pay extra on that day to get into the front section? Maybe not as many diehards with me who knew all the songs.

I was disappointed that the band were around 20 minutes late on. Given Pixies finished at 7, 50 mins should have been plenty of time to set up. A shame we lost a few songs from the setlist because of it.

I find myself comparing the gig to Hyde Park 2010. Maybe there is some bias there because it was my first PJ gig, but I personally enjoyed that more.

London 25/06/10 - Manchester 20/06/12 - Leeds 08/07/14 - London 18/06/18 - London 17/07/18 - London 08/07/22
  • Planet of SoundPlanet of Sound UK Posts: 293
    edited July 2022
    Friday was a great day!  

Firstly, I enjoyed Cat Power, solid set.  I absolutely love the Pixies and it was a joy to hear those songs for the first time in a long time!  Mr Grieves reminded me of my late stepfather Mr Tony Grieves and that was special.  Loved the UK surf Wave of Mutilation and had a nice small group of Pixies fans around me.

This was my first PJ show since Berlin 2012 so was a fair while coming for shows 11 and 12.  This meant I hadn’t heard any of the hits for years, so enjoyed all of them.  Low Light was glorious, Light Years was of course emotional, as was Unthought Known, Daughter and Indifference.  Quick Escape also great.  Lovely group of people around me, whose names I barely remember, but certainly the family near me had the young Kai at his first ever show.

Lastly, who could forget the legend of Santa in the crowd?!

Voice totally gone after screaming to Pixies and PJ, somehow I then ventured on to the 2nd night…
    I had never heard or seen Cat Power before. Her set was great! 
    rustedsigns

rustedsigns

London Night 1 was unforgettable for me too. Fondest memories of Hyde Park. 
    rustedsigns
    I just started listening to this boot. 

Wow! Just brilliant! 
    rustedsigns
  • CloudDog23CloudDog23 Posts: 147
    A very emotional listen for me.  I was worried that *my* band, the one I am more emotionally invested in than anything that isn't family, would be a let down, what with the stories of shorter sets and the reasons for that, plus I'd just seen Billie Eilish and Twenty One Pilots who were both put on excellent shows from humans at the peak of their physical powers, and still at the top of the Sean Connery Trainspotting downward curve.

Listening back confirmed that the shorter sets meant they were more focused less meandering and, having two nights to play with, could spread the set-list out.  On paper night 2 has more of the hits, but on multiple listens, night 1 has that special something that Eddie commented on and it just edges it for me.

2000/05/29 Wembley Arena, London, UK
    2006/04/20 The Astoria, London, UK
    2006/08/29 Gelredome, Arnhem, Netherlands
    2007/06/18 Wembley Arena, London, UK
    2009/08/18 O2 Arena, London, UK
    2010/06/25 Hyde Park, London, UK
    2012/06/20 MEN Arena, Manchester, UK
    2012/07/30 Hammersmith Odeon, UK (Eddie Vedder solo show)
    2013/02/10 O2 Academy Islington, UK (Brad)
    2013/09/19 O2 Academy Brixton, UK (Soundgarden)
    2014/07/08 first direct Arena, Leeds, UK
    2014/07/11 MK Bowl, Milton Keynes, UK
    2017/06/06 Hammersmith Odeon, UK (Eddie Vedder solo show)
    2018/07/17 O2 Arena, London, UK
    2022/07/08 Hyde Park, London, UK
    2022/07/09 Hyde Park, London, UK
    A very emotional listen for me.  I was worried that *my* band, the one I am more emotionally invested in than anything that isn't family, would be a let down, what with the stories of shorter sets and the reasons for that, plus I'd just seen Billie Eilish and Twenty One Pilots who were both put on excellent shows from humans at the peak of their physical powers, and still at the top of the Sean Connery Trainspotting downward curve.

Listening back confirmed that the shorter sets meant they were more focused less meandering and, having two nights to play with, could spread the set-list out.  On paper night 2 has more of the hits, but on multiple listens, night 1 has that special something that Eddie commented on and it just edges it for me.
    Night 1 had that special something for me too. The run from Save You to Light Years is just so powerful. 

rustedsigns