The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Wobbie said:
    Gallo to the Dodgers...he's gonna hit a big world series home run against the Yankees, isn't he?
    he’ll be released by then.

plus, no WS for d**gers.
    Since Gallo trade

Dodgers 6-0
    Yankees 1-5
    igotid88 said:
    Not sure if I heard the stats correctly. But since the sticky stuff ban, Cole is 13-10 with a 3.89 e.r.a. . Basically who he was in Pittsburgh 
    I don't think his record is even that good.

I do know that his spin rotation is a fraction of what it used to be.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    edited August 2022
    igotid88 said:
    Not sure if I heard the stats correctly. But since the sticky stuff ban, Cole is 13-10 with a 3.89 e.r.a. . Basically who he was in Pittsburgh 
    I don't think his record is even that good.

I do know that his spin rotation is a fraction of what it used to be.
    What did they do in Houston? I don't think Verlander would be doing what he's doing if the Yankees had signed him
    I miss igotid88
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I glanced at his spin rate and it actually isn’t down that much. 2019 was far and away his best but this year and last I think are his 2nd and 3rd best and still well above average…at least for the 4 seamer 
    I glanced at his spin rate and it actually isn’t down that much. 2019 was far and away his best but this year and last I think are his 2nd and 3rd best and still well above average…at least for the 4 seamer 
    His FB and offspeed is down 200 rotations, breaking ball 150.

I look at it like this, if Matt Harvey lost a few mph on his fastball and wouldn't adapt to "pitching" and not blowing it by people anymore then Cole is at least trying to still pitch but he just isn't the same without that little extra.

Since 2019 he has had a decline that is noticeable since coming to the Yankees.  It is in like w his spin rate too.

What else could it be?  Some games he is great and then others he is mortal.

I look at it like this, if Matt Harvey lost a few mph on his fastball and wouldn't adapt to "pitching" and not blowing it by people anymore then Cole is at least trying to still pitch but he just isn't the same without that little extra.

Since 2019 he has had a decline that is noticeable since coming to the Yankees.  It is in like w his spin rate too.

Right, 2019 was his career year and he's been good since coming to the Yankees but not HOF type pitcher they were hoping for.  Spin rate has been down, but assume it is across the board. I don't really think it's a fraction of what it used to be.

The problem is home runs and has been a consistent problem since last year. His WHIP is great, but gives up meatballs

Right, 2019 was his career year and he's been good since coming to the Yankees but not HOF type pitcher they were hoping for.  Spin rate has been down, but assume it is across the board. I don't really think it's a fraction of what it used to be.

The problem is home runs and has been a consistent problem since last year. His WHIP is great, but gives up meatballs
    He gets clobbered sometimes.  He's on one of my fantasy teams that the computer picked for me and no way I would have picked him as hotrod pitchers that come to the Yankees don't fair so well, think Sonny Gray, Johnson and Irabu.

I mentioned the spin raTES FROM YEAR TO YEAR BUT FROM 2019 TO NOW?  iT'S A BIG DIFFERENCE.  (I hit the caps lock, sorry)

Verlander and Scherzer are still killing it.  I do think he has lost an edge though.
    edited August 2022
    Yeah...David Cone, Mussina, Clemens, CC,, Tanaka, Kuroda would all like to differ
    Yeah...David Cone, Mussina, Clemens, CC,, Tanaka, Kuroda would all like to differ
    Would you like me to name the other big busts over the years?  It's well known that players in general have a harder time playing in NY.

I never said that ALL pitchers that come here don't do well.  Good spin on that one.
    You said “hotrod pitchers that come to the Yankees don’t fare so well”. Obviously agree that some do well and some don’t, but that’s not what you said. You seem to make very definitive statements then say and backtrack a good bit 
    You said “hotrod pitchers that come to the Yankees don’t fare so well”. Obviously agree that some do well and some don’t, but that’s not what you said. You seem to make very definitive statements then say and backtrack a good bit 
    You take it as definitive.  I have to backtrack because you would rather not agree with what I did say was right and focus on what I didn't say.  Of course there were some good ones but I wanted to highlight some bad ones as examples for this discussion.

If Cole was doing better then I would have brought up say Clemens' first stint or Mussina but then you would have just told me about all the pitchers that weren't good for them...

edited August 2022
    You didn’t say some hotrod pitchers are a bust, your statement was that hotrod pictures coming to the Yankees are a bust, as in all. 

Cole also has a 3.21 era (which is ironically exactly his career era) since coming to the yanks so while he clearly has had some stinkers and been more inconsistent than excepted, he’s also been very good 
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    edited August 2022
    Judge is outrageously good 
    Wtf, they take the lead, I step away and they’re losing. Come the fuck on 
    Things are bad
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    Wtf, they take the lead, I step away and they’re losing. Come the fuck on 
    It's because I was in attendance 
    You didn’t say some hotrod pitchers are a bust, your statement was that hotrod pictures coming to the Yankees are a bust, as in all. 

Cole also has a 3.21 era (which is ironically exactly his career era) since coming to the yanks so while he clearly has had some stinkers and been more inconsistent than excepted, he’s also been very good 
    I mentioned bad pitchers in my statement because Cole reminds me of them. If he was better I would have likened him to Clemens.  

He's on my fantasy team and like you said, is very inconsistent.  Let's up 6 runs one game then none the next.

I don't think we will ever see that 2019 season form again. Flashes, sure.  He has good nights and then for whatever reason he goes south.
    He's leading the league in strikeouts and has a 3.21 ERA over 2.5 seasons, but yeah, he's a complete busy like Irabu
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,172

This weekend we rock Portland
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Ha.  Fat Toad.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    He's leading the league in strikeouts and has a 3.21 ERA over 2.5 seasons, but yeah, he's a complete busy like Irabu
    You don't focus on what I actually do say but what I didn't say...
    I literally focus on what you said...

"I mentioned bad pitchers in my statement because Cole reminds me of them."

Bad not bust is what I said.  Cole has been inconsistent all year and you even said that too.

Cole is not what he was in 2019, I thought that was what we were all getting on about with him?

Bad not bust is what I said.  Cole has been inconsistent all year and you even said that too.

Cole is not what he was in 2019, I thought that was what we were all getting on about with him?
    I don't know, man...you and I must have different definitions of bad.  Leading the league in strikeouts and a 3.21 ERA is not bad (or a bust), but he has been inconsistent. clearly. Not sure how you can compare him to the pitchers you posted.

I don't know, man...you and I must have different definitions of bad.  Leading the league in strikeouts and a 3.21 ERA is not bad (or a bust), but he has been inconsistent. clearly. Not sure how you can compare him to the pitchers you posted.

That's fair.  I use the term "bad" loosely.  His inconsistency has been head scratching.  Seeing him pitch 8 SHO innings then next outing give up 6 in 3 is what I don't get w him.

His ERA is 3.38 this year.  It has gone up every year as a Yankee, and no that isn't bad.  

Can we talk about Judge now?  I hope he at least breaks his own HR record.
    edited August 2022
    16 to go. He’s good 
    Holmes stinks 
    edited August 2022
    Donaldson also stinks
    No question how this ends 
    Yeeeep. No fucking bueno