The Tragically Hip!!!!

Comments

• BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    Live at the Roxy sounds great. That Highway Girl story is clever like most of Downie's improv, but when it kicks back into the lyrics it loosely reminds me of the way Pearl Jam returns to Porch in the Atlanta 94 bootleg..... Magical stuff
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Fully Completely box set to be released in viny format October 7. PASS
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    Pass for me too 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    I was about to say.. fool me once, I'll wait until they release the live vinyl on it's own.... but the DVD.  That documentary of the another roadside attract tour.... that hits in me in all the nostalgia feels.   A bunch of that documentary is from the Victoria stop, which was the first time I ever saw the hip live (and the only time I remember there being a concert at Western Speedway).  Might have to buy it for that.
    Zod said:
    I was about to say.. fool me once, I'll wait until they release the live vinyl on it's own.... but the DVD.  That documentary of the another roadside attract tour.... that hits in me in all the nostalgia feels.   A bunch of that documentary is from the Victoria stop, which was the first time I ever saw the hip live (and the only time I remember there being a concert at Western Speedway).  Might have to buy it for that.
    the cd version of the deluxe set comes with that same dvd. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    I’m buying it. Loved the Road Apples boxset. Not worried all the albums were sold individually to folks who perhaps could not afford the entire boxset and only wanted the live album, etc. 
    Really looking forward to the FC boxset. 

What I really am excited for in the future is the Day For Night boxset. 😎😎 

Gord Downie/Bob Rock album coming out in 2024. First single Lustre Parfait out today. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Gord Downie/Bob Rock album coming out in 2024. First single Lustre Parfait out today. 
    Lustre Parfait is pretty good.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Was caught in the YouRube vortex of Americans reacting to Hip videos/performances over the holidays. The reactors generally compare the Hip to REM. There is no doubt the Hip were influenced by REM and Midnight Oil among others.  I personally believe REM heard Day for Night and were influenced by that album, as New Adventures in HiFi has a similar feel in my opinion. When the NAHF vinyl release came out it struck me how Hip like it was. 

The other thing I observed was how many Baker outro solos exist on their songs. Perhaps I just never noticed before but it appears it was something they liked doing. I’ve always enjoyed a fade out solo to end a song.  

edited February 2023
    The new Gord Downie/Bob Rock album Lustre Parfait sounds incredible so far. Can't wait to hear the whole thing!

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Waiting to see if the EP shows up on Amazon so I can saved on the $20 shipping from buying it directly.
  • toolietoolie Posts: 388
    The Moment is a Wild Place… just wow. What a song. Sure doesn’t seem like it’s 7 minutes long. 
    toolie said:
    The Moment is a Wild Place… just wow. What a song. Sure doesn’t seem like it’s 7 minutes long. 

Totally. It's amazing.
    edited February 2023
    Zod said:
    Waiting to see if the EP shows up on Amazon so I can saved on the $20 shipping from buying it directly.

Wouldn't you rather just buy the whole album? Or you'd want both? All of the EP songs will be on the album, so I'm not going to bother with the EP. No Lustre Parfait vinyl on Amazon yet either though!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:

Wouldn't you rather just buy the whole album? Or you'd want both? All of the EP songs will be on the album, so I'm not going to bother with the EP. No Lustre Parfait vinyl on Amazon yet either though!

I think when I wrote that I had misread the announcement email... I thought it was an EP not an LP.  Yes, I want the LP on vinyl, and I'm hoping it turns up on amazon or the regular record store so I can save $20 on shipping.
    5 new unreleased songs; 7 alternate versions of songs. this is pretty exciting. "Bumblebee" is released digitally today. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BR2428BR2428 Posts: 118
    5 new unreleased songs; 7 alternate versions of songs. this is pretty exciting. "Bumblebee" is released digitally today. 
    Looking forward to this reissue!
  • lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    I’ll buy anything that had an unreleased Hip vault show - and the 1998 tour to boot ! (Pun intended)
    my user name here is from my love of the Hip!
    yet I’m from Boston - never been to Canada yet!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
    new song out today: Mystery. I have listened a few times, and I find this a really odd choice for second promotional single for the upcoming box set. It's a deep cut at best. Maybe even a "secret song" at worst. It's just spoken word with atmospheric background music over a slow acoustic melody. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Man... "Songwriter's Cabal" is a beauty

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    new song out today: Mystery. I have listened a few times, and I find this a really odd choice for second promotional single for the upcoming box set. It's a deep cut at best. Maybe even a "secret song" at worst. It's just spoken word with atmospheric background music over a slow acoustic melody. 
    I agree, unfortunately..... I thought the Saskadelphia release was quite good. Unnecessary, Montreal, etc.   A number of people are quick to jump on 10C prices, the Hip's store prices are too high. Damn The Hip's catalog is so good. 

Escape at Hand for the Travellin' Man is noticeably sped on the Metropol track. 

Enjoy everyone
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314

The Tragically Hip Named Ambassadors of Record Store Day Canada 2024

The band are bringing their 1993 performance at CBGB's to vinyl for the first time

That's awesome!!
    hope they press enough copies for me to score one
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I think there will be lots of copies available
    40 years of the Hip this year. they said in the latest newsletter that new music is coming this year. awesome. wonder if it's the follow up to MMP that was half or nearly finished?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• That would be fantastic.
    Vancouver 2011, LA1 & LA2 2013, Vancouver 2013, Seattle 1 & Seattle 2 2018, LA1 & LA2 2022
  • lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    Just found out the band will be using some of the footage I shot showing the exterior of the Somerville Theater in Massachusetts on July 27, 2002 when the band performed there.
    It will be featured in the upcoming four part documentary on Amazon this fall titled :

“Fully Complete: The Story of the Tragically Hip”
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
    That’s wicked!! The Hip are awesome!