Monkeypox

Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

Comments

• Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    Worst part about this is it’s affecting the gay community more it seems 

took a long time for people to realise aids isn’t a gay specific disease.  Although it doesn’t seem to be fatal so that’s good 

I can’t imagine many straight males in red states seeking treatment though. 
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    At least it seems to be non fatal and run it's course in 2-4 weeks like a mega chicken pox.  Numbers are low and we have a functioning vaccine.  Could be way worse.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Forcing/asking people to get another vaccine won't go over well...
  • jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,879
    Yay more scare tactics in our future
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | **2024-05-16 Las Vegas** | **2024-05-18 Las Vegas** |
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    jwhjr17 said:
    Yay more scare tactics in our future
    I'll tell u this.  I don't want to contract that shit.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,711
    Small pox vaccine works i hear
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    The medical community has just started being open about this.  I understand the concern that people will think it is a "gay disease"...but the reality is at this point, while it can be contracted different ways, the VAST majority....>98% I think (but don;t hold me to that number) have come from Male-Male sexual encounters. 

So - if we share that, and individuals that partake in said encounters 1) Get vaccinated 2) Take it seriously and take other precautions ...this can be controlled.  There is an opportunity right now.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited August 2022
    The medical community has just started being open about this.  I understand the concern that people will think it is a "gay disease"...but the reality is at this point, while it can be contracted different ways, the VAST majority....>98% I think (but don;t hold me to that number) have come from Male-Male sexual encounters. 

So - if we share that, and individuals that partake in said encounters 1) Get vaccinated 2) Take it seriously and take other precautions ...this can be controlled.  There is an opportunity right now.  
    Right…. But look at stuff like the HPV vaccine 

a lot of parents won’t get it for their kids because they think it encourages sexual activity.  As in they shouldn’t be having sex anyway so I’m not vaccinating them.  

If you aren’t gay, it’s a tough ask to expect them to get a vaccination in much the same way.  It’s not going to be confined to gay men indefinitely, for sure. Then what? 

anytime something is stigmatised in a sexual way people get weird about it 

covid was a condition  affecting people exclusively in China… until it wasn’t.  So I don’t see how you can confine any transmissible disease to a specific community long term 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426

US to declare health emergency over monkeypox outbreak
    By ZEKE MILLER, MIKE STOBBE and MICHAEL BALSAMO
    Today

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. will declare a public health emergency to bolster the federal response to the monkeypoxoutbreak that has infected more than 6,600 Americans, two people familiar with the matter said Thursday.

The announcement will free up federal money and other resources to fight the virus, which may cause fever, body aches, chills, fatigue and pimple-like bumps on many parts of the body. The people spoke on the condition of anonymity ahead of an official announcement.

The declaration comes as the the Biden administration has faced criticism over monkeypox vaccine availability. Clinics in major cities such as New York and San Francisco say they haven’t received enough of the two-shot vaccine to meet demand, and some have had to stop offering the second dose to ensure supply of first doses.

The White House said it has made more than 1.1 million doses available and has helped to boost domestic diagnostic capacity to 80,000 tests per week.

The monkeypox virus spreads through prolonged and close skin-to-skin contact, including hugging, cuddling and kissing, as well as sharing bedding, towels and clothing. The people who have gotten sick so far have been primarily men who have sex with men. But health officials emphasize that the virus can infect anyone.

The announcement comes three days after the Biden administration named top officials from the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to serve as the White House coordinators to combat the monkeypox outbreak.

News of the expected declaration was first reported Thursday by Politico.

Such a declaration is an important — and overdue — step, said Lawrence Gostin, a public health law expert at Georgetown University.

“It signals the U.S. government’s seriousness and purpose, and sounds a global alarm,” he said.

Under a declaration by the Department of Health and Human Services, the agency can draw from emergency funds, hire or reassign staff to deal with the outbreak, and take other steps to control the virus.

A public health emergency can be extended, similar to what happened during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Gostin said the U.S. government has been too cautious and should have declared a nationwide emergency earlier. Public health measures to control outbreaks have increasingly faced legal challenges in recent years, but Gostin didn’t expect that to happen with monkeypox.

“It is a textbook case of a public health emergency,” Gostin said. “It’s not a red or a blue state issue. There is no political opposition to fighting monkeypox.”

The government’s decision comes after others have made similar declarations.

Last week, the World Health Organization called monkeypox a public health emergency, with cases in more than 70 countries. A global emergency is WHO’s highest level of alert, but the designation does not necessarily mean a disease is particularly transmissible or lethal.

California, Illinois and New York have all made declarations in the last week, as have New York City, San Francisco and San Diego County.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    key point here that needs stressed greatly.... it isnt the sex itself necessarily. really what this describes is a high degree of affection.....

"The monkeypox virus spreads through prolonged and close skin-to-skin contact, including hugging, cuddling and kissing, as well as sharing bedding, towels and clothing. The people who have gotten sick so far have been primarily men who have sex with men. But health officials emphasize that the virus can infect anyone."

so what does this say about the rest of the population in regards to touch , cuddling etc....?

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited August 2022
    Lab workers are refusing to do blood draws on suspected cases.

it’s their job to draw blood however if they are gay, that’s their religious freedom exemption im guessing. I’m not sure exactly why that’s happening only that their sexual orientation does give them an out to not do their job, which is awful 

Quest and labcorp are having that problem apparently.  That’s not good for anyone 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    Lab workers are refusing to do blood draws on suspected cases.

it’s their job to draw blood however if they are gay, that’s their religious freedom exemption im guessing. I’m not sure exactly why that’s happening only that their sexual orientation does give them an out to not do their job, which is awful 

Quest and labcorp are having that problem apparently.  That’s not good for anyone 
    Just another example of how state and church cross that line.  

Right…. But look at stuff like the HPV vaccine 

a lot of parents won’t get it for their kids because they think it encourages sexual activity.  As in they shouldn’t be having sex anyway so I’m not vaccinating them.  

If you aren’t gay, it’s a tough ask to expect them to get a vaccination in much the same way.  It’s not going to be confined to gay men indefinitely, for sure. Then what? 

anytime something is stigmatised in a sexual way people get weird about it 

covid was a condition  affecting people exclusively in China… until it wasn’t.  So I don’t see how you can confine any transmissible disease to a specific community long term 
    I’m talking about where to utilize the limited vaccine now. 

We’ve stopped plenty of transmissible diseases. This is fairly localized at this time. Of course we we fail cause we proven we are dumb as shit recently.
    hippiemom = goodness
    74% of the studied cases reported having had more than two sexual partners in the three weeks before the onset of symptoms. Among the investigated cases, 26% were HIV-positive.

From a French study- 

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/health/article/2022/07/26/monkeypox-why-are-gay-and-bisexual-men-more-affected_5991445_14.html

hippiemom = goodness
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Well hells bells.  This hermit is going to bury in deeper.
    I'll be In Hiding (thanks for the tip Ed, Stone).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    first case in Manitoba. motherf....
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I was looking for another thread and noticed this one hasn't been touched in months.

So I'm guessing this was a hot topic button to get everyone worked up but didn't work.

Good.