so really...best cheese steak in Philly is????

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    edited July 2022
    Okay here's a vague plan for Wednesday. I won't be able to do anything PJ-related Tuesday night.  :/

-Work at home a few hours
    -Make my way into the city, get my first Angelo's cheesesteak around 1 (meet me there GlowGirl?)
    -Go to POPE or something for a couple beers
    -Meet up with my buddy who's got my 2nd ticket
    -Get some pasta
    -Take PATCO to Camden
    -RAWK
    Thanks for the offer. I have GA for the show, so not sure what time I plan to get to the stadium - but I think it will be pretty early. So, not sure about show day. But it is a few months away, so as you said, vague plans.
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    GlowGirl said:
    Okay here's a vague plan for Wednesday. I won't be able to do anything PJ-related Tuesday night.  :/

-Make my way into the city, get my first Angelo's cheesesteak around 1 (meet me there GlowGirl?)
    -Get some pasta
    -Take PATCO to Camden
    -RAWK
    Thanks for the offer. I have GA for the show, so not sure what time I plan to get to the stadium - but I think it will be pretty early. So, not sure about show day. But it is a few months away, so as you said, vague plans.
    I think the Camden GA pit is very small, so you should be good to hang out and still get a decent spot -- that is, unless you meant GA lawn.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    GlowGirl said:

-Get some pasta
    -Take PATCO to Camden
    -RAWK
    I think the Camden GA pit is very small, so you should be good to hang out and still get a decent spot -- that is, unless you meant GA lawn.
    I have GA pit. I am excited about that.

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    GlowGirl said:
    dankind said:
    I can't believe that only one of you brave souls has offered to actually take @GlowGirl out -- and not for what she wants at that. 

My promise to @GlowGirl : If you make a similar request for the Boston area (best lobster roll, maybe? or fried seafood? boiled cabbage?), one of us will take you out for the very thing you requested. :wink:
    Still figuring out my plan for the day...
    No biggie. I was just thinking if anyone wanted to go out for cheese steaks that day I would be up for it. I didn't expect anyone to make plans around me. But I would love to meet some of you guys in person if there is anything going on that night - I know it is a Tuesday night though.

Yeah, Cheese steaks for a few of us is a good idea.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    I try to spend as little time in Camden as possible, although everyone talks about that Donkey's place for cheesesteaks on a round roll or something like that.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    GlowGirl said:
    dankind said:
    GlowGirl said:

-Get some pasta
    -Take PATCO to Camden
    -RAWK
    I have GA pit. I am excited about that.

Yeah the pit is tiny as hell, you will have an amazing view from anywhere. 
    If you want cheesesteak we will make sure you get one!  [Sushi when I get sushi is not to be missed!  We will do it up, right!]
    If I'm off that day then breakfast dim sum is also good....although cheesesteak could be the item.  :lol:  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    GlowGirl said:
    Who is taking me out for Cheese steaks when I come in for Camden? I will be taking the Amtrak to Philly the night before the show.
    May be out in Philly that night and we can hook it up.  I'm thinking sushi over cheesesteak,  though.  :smile:

aren't you married? :tongue:

Not sure what i'm doing that day. I should be free that day though, unless something happens at work
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I feel like I can’t really plan a couple days ahead these days, let alone a couple months, but if possible 100% down for sushi and/or cheesesteaks 
    GlowGirl said:
    Who is taking me out for Cheese steaks when I come in for Camden? I will be taking the Amtrak to Philly the night before the show.
    May be out in Philly that night and we can hook it up.  I'm thinking sushi over cheesesteak,  though.  :smile:

aren't you married? :tongue:

Not sure what i'm doing that day. I should be free that day though, unless something happens at work
    The more the merrier. Cheesesteaks for all!!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited July 2022
    Ha, David!  You know I am and I don't play around.  25 years together!!  Hopefully Mrs FMe will join us out if childcare is covered.  Given we will need it for the night of the show that may be a stretch.

Cliffy, that would be cool.  We for sure need to sushi it up one of these nights, Pearl Jam or no Pearl Jam.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Ha, David!  You know I am and I don't play around.  25 years together!!  Hopefully Mrs FMe will join us out if childcare is covered.  Given we will need it for the night of the show that may be a stretch.

Cliffy, that would be cool.  We for sure need to sushi it up one of these nights, Pearl Jam or no Pearl Jam.

:lol: I was just messing with you.

Meeting for cheesesteaks sounds like a doable plan.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    RiotZact said:
    He says he lives in Huntingdon Valley but previously wrote it as 'Huntington Valley', and was then appropriately shitted on about it. 
    Ha.  Fetterman's slam is pretty damn funny.
    Of course the POS Geno's owner posed with the scam-artist carpetbagger. Question: Is Geno's actually the worst cheesesteak in Philadelphia?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    edited July 2022
    Of course the POS Geno's owner posed with the scam-artist carpetbagger. Question: Is Geno's actually the worst cheesesteak in Philadelphia?
    It’s so much worse than Pat’s. In fact, I would say the association with Geno’s is part of what makes Pat’s have such a bad reputation. If it were by itself it would be seen as a slightly above average place, but because of this silly tourist competition it gets thrown in with Geno’s. 
    RiotZact said:
    It’s so much worse than Pat’s. In fact, I would say the association with Geno’s is part of what makes Pat’s have such a bad reputation. If it were by itself it would be seen as a slightly above average place, but because of this silly tourist competition it gets thrown in with Geno’s. 
    Definitely agree. Pat's aren't bad at all.

When I did them a decade ago one of the people with us picked Genos.  I thought they were crazy.  Pat's use of onions is good....I only ever had that one time (since there was no real reason to go again) that is what i remembered.  Good onions with the steak.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Been to Philly 100s of times and never went to Genos or Pats. Locals always tell me not to bother.

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Pat's is definitely more worth it than Geno's. imo Geno's stinks because they do the slab style steaks (gross), and they really skimp on the serving size. They make sure those margins stay ridiculously high, as evident by their ability to open a dumbass gift shop (?) across the street. I can't believe that's even a thing. And that's even before getting into their dumb ownership, and former owner scumbag Joey Vento, that was Trump before Trump ("This is America. Speak English." "Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Deportation").

Pat's has barely changed all these years. They put up their small Cheesesteak Vegas sign, but it's nothing compared to the dummies across the street. The only real complaint with Pat's is, depending on the time of day, they can be smaller. And that is mostly due to tourists and ridiculous lines. But the best 3AM cheesesteak you'll ever have.

The best cheesesteak within a block of Cheesesteak Vegas is Cosmi's. Go there and and you can also hit up Termini's for dessert. And the best cheesesteak imo within reasonable walking distance of the ferry going to Camden for the show I'd say is Sonny's on Market Street.
    I need to make plans for my Sept. 14 lunch at Angelo's. Do I order in advance? Just show up? What should I get? There's no tables right? Just sit on a bench and eat? Sorry for the rookie questions.

I need to make plans for my Sept. 14 lunch at Angelo's. Do I order in advance? Just show up? What should I get? There's no tables right? Just sit on a bench and eat? Sorry for the rookie questions.
    You can do either.  If you want to order on your way, give them a call and they'll have it ready. Pretty standard time of a half hour or so, but can also just show up, order and linger outside.

Could benches there, but the move is to take it a few block south to the DiBruno's piazza in the italian market, get a beer or bottle of wine from their bottle shop and enjoy it there
    You can do either.  If you want to order on your way, give them a call and they'll have it ready. Pretty standard time of a half hour or so, but can also just show up, order and linger outside.

Could benches there, but the move is to take it a few block south to the DiBruno's piazza in the italian market, get a beer or bottle of wine from their bottle shop and enjoy it there
    DiBruno's Piazza - damn I haven't been down there in a while.

DiBruno's Piazza - damn I haven't been down there in a while.
    Not sure the official name, but the area right under what used to be the Rizzo mural.  They have tables and all with a bottle shop right across the street. An awesome spot
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Pat's is definitely more worth it than Geno's. imo Geno's stinks because they do the slab style steaks (gross), and they really skimp on the serving size. They make sure those margins stay ridiculously high, as evident by their ability to open a dumbass gift shop (?) across the street. I can't believe that's even a thing. And that's even before getting into their dumb ownership, and former owner scumbag Joey Vento, that was Trump before Trump ("This is America. Speak English." "Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Deportation").

Pat's has barely changed all these years. They put up their small Cheesesteak Vegas sign, but it's nothing compared to the dummies across the street. The only real complaint with Pat's is, depending on the time of day, they can be smaller. And that is mostly due to tourists and ridiculous lines. But the best 3AM cheesesteak you'll ever have.

The best cheesesteak within a block of Cheesesteak Vegas is Cosmi's. Go there and and you can also hit up Termini's for dessert. And the best cheesesteak imo within reasonable walking distance of the ferry going to Camden for the show I'd say is Sonny's on Market Street.
    Geno's is where I went a LONG time ago. I could never remember which place I went to, but I remembered it was SLAB style which I didn't care for at all. I said at that time, that I got a better cheese steak in South Jersey, and this is supposed to be the place to get a cheese Steak? Thanks for posting that as I could never remember but now I know it was Genos' because of your Post. Thanks !!

Chop that shit UP !!>LOL
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Not to make light of a sad situation, but I saw a hilarious comment on Reddit saying that this is the only way you’ll ever get your cheese melted on a Jim’s steak. 
    That's actually pretty funny.
    My wife loves this place.