MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    We will see.  I think any team trading is willing to pay something crazy....agree the haul to just make the trade will be significant.   
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,144
    It'll have to be to a contending to team that has the ability to re-sign him and could handle if he signed somewhere else. Otherwise why give up a ton for a half year. If it's the Yankees that pretty much means the end for Judge after this season.  

Would be nice if went to Mattingly's Marlins. But then when he got there he would start to suck.
    I miss igotid88
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    igotid88 said:
    It'll have to be to a contending to team that has the ability to re-sign him and could handle if he signed somewhere else. Otherwise why give up a ton for a half year. If it's the Yankees that pretty much means the end for Judge after this season.  

Would be nice if went to Mattingly's Marlins. But then when he got there he would start to suck.
    lol, Marlins don't spend money on players.

If he did go to the Yanks, Mets are looking into him also, The Yanks could afford to keep judge and maybe dump Stanton?
    So Torkelson is the latest casualty prospect to be sent down to the minors.

So far we have Kelenic, Detmers, Hoy-Jun, Royce Lewis all got sent back down.

I do hope Tork and Kelenic get it back together.

I would expect Adley to be sent down soon too.
    igotid88 said:

If he did go to the Yanks, Mets are looking into him also, The Yanks could afford to keep judge and maybe dump Stanton?
    Just for this year I mean.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:

Just for this year I mean.
    Yeah, Nats could clean up w the prospects.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    igotid88 said:

It's not really for a half year though. He's under team control for 2 more full seasons after this one, so you could just pay him whatever the arbitration award for '23 and '24 were. he'd not likely be happy, but teams are in essence guaranteed 2.5 seasons of him if they trade for him.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    igotid88 said:

The Yanks could afford to keep judge and maybe dump Stanton?
    Who is going to trade for Stanton's contract? 6 years left after this year at 32M, 32M, 32M, 29M, 25M & 25M. ages 33-38.
    Yanks would have to eat a ton of that cash to move him, making affording Both Soto and Judge pretty much impossible.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I know it is a sign of getting old, but isn't it pretty crazy how many kids of major leaguers are getting drafted and good these days?

3 on the Blue Jays big league roster alone.  Then recent drafts include, Leiter, Matt Holliday's kid was apparently drafted first last night, Carl Crawford's kid was drafted.

Poncier said:
    igotid88 said:

Who is going to trade for Stanton's contract? 6 years left after this year at 32M, 32M, 32M, 29M, 25M & 25M. ages 33-38.
    Yanks would have to eat a ton of that cash to move him, making affording Both Soto and Judge pretty much impossible.
    Then dump Hicks, Gallo, Donaldson.  Move Torres to 2nd and bring up Volpe.

That should clear some room?

I would totally try and deal Stanton though even if you pay a portion of his salary the next few years.  I mean Stanton isn't bad, he is hitting HR.  Someone would want that?  
    edited July 2022
    Poncier said:
    igotid88 said:

I would totally try and deal Stanton though even if you pay a portion of his salary the next few years.  I mean Stanton isn't bad, he is hitting HR.  Someone would want that?  
    How does the luxury tax work for a 2nd trade?  I know Stanton's luxury tax hit for the Yankees is only like $25 mil since the Marlins are paying a good portion of his salary, so it's actually fairly reasonable.  Also, he has a full no trade clause, which is how he got himself to the Yankees in the first place, so he's not going anywhere.

Have to assume any package for Soto starts with Volpe, Jasson and Gleyber

And just to add, the Yankees COULD pay both Judge and Soto, but they won't.  Also, getting Soto and letting Judge walk is 100% the smarter move, as bad as it would hurt Yankees fans.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    Poncier said:
    igotid88 said:

How does the luxury tax work for a 2nd trade?  I know Stanton's luxury tax hit for the Yankees is only like $25 mil since the Marlins are paying a good portion of his salary, so it's actually fairly reasonable.  Also, he has a full no trade clause, which is how he got himself to the Yankees in the first place, so he's not going anywhere.

And just to add, the Yankees COULD pay both Judge and Soto, but they won't.  Also, getting Soto and letting Judge walk is 100% the smarter move, as bad as it would hurt Yankees fans.
    Jasson and Gleyber I would let go.  Volpe, no.

If the Yankees let Judge walk the organization would be hated for years.  It's like the Mets letting Seaver go.  It would sting a lot of people but hey, the Yankees will still fill the seats.

If they did get Soto I would agree that it's a better move than holding Judge.  Soto is one if not the best hitters in the game right now and he is only 22.
    Poncier said:
    igotid88 said:

Jasson and Gleyber I would let go.  Volpe, no.

If the Yankees let Judge walk the organization would be hated for years.  It's like the Mets letting Seaver go.  It would sting a lot of people but hey, the Yankees will still fill the seats.

If they did get Soto I would agree that it's a better move than holding Judge.  Soto is one if not the best hitters in the game right now and he is only 22.
    There's no way it gets done without Volpe and I don't see how you don't do that... I wouldn't like it, but Soto isn't just a rental either

Start with Gleyber, Peraza and Dominguez and go from there, but that doesn't come close to getting it done.

Pipe dream...don't see it happening, but fun to speculate.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Was Roseanne Barr busy?
    Jesus, that rendition was horrible. 

Would like to see Soto demolish the field.  

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Was Roseanne Barr busy?
    Jesus, that rendition was horrible. 

Would like to see Soto demolish the field.  

he won, but didn’t demolish anyone. he shoulda let the kid making the minimum take home the $1M. every year, I wonder why I waste my time with this. thank god for DVR.

I was really struck by how latinos are dominating the “american pastime.”
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Americans don't care that much about baseball.  It represents glory and a pathway to riches in countries like the DR and PR.  Pretty easy to see.
    Our biggest sport is Guns.  Next, is Being Assholes.  Third is football.  Not sure where baseball lands.

I went to bed after first round.  I agree that it is really a DVR type event.  

Nobody lets someone else beat them on a stage like that.  Rather beat the kid and then gift him $1MM

Americans don't care that much about baseball.  It represents glory and a pathway to riches in countries like the DR and PR.  Pretty easy to see.
    Our biggest sport is Guns.  Next, is Being Assholes.  Third is football.  Not sure where baseball lands.

I went to bed after first round.  I agree that it is really a DVR type event.  

Nobody lets someone else beat them on a stage like that.  Rather beat the kid and then gift him $1MM

I really thought Schwarber held back on Pujols and let him win.

How exciting it was to see Jrod out there.  He put on a show.  Just hope Kelenic comes back to join him on the M's again.

And your list is wrong, assholes are first then guns.  Being an ahole is a prerequisite to owning a gun, I know... :*

Hispanic inclusion has been on the rise for years.  Black participation has been in decline for years.  It's something baseball has been trying to fix.
    Anybody watch The Captain?  I enjoyed it.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Split screen again???

Did not enough people let ESPN know that this display was absolute shit last year?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    edited July 2022
    dankind said:
    Split screen again???

Did not enough people let ESPN know that this display was absolute shit last year?
    Yeah, I didn't care for the Split screen. And, they did it for the whole competition. 
    Shouldn't Alcantara get the start?
    I miss igotid88
    In LA?
    No way.  Kershaw 100.
    (The other Dodger, Gosselin, would be an acceptable option.)  Florida's kid is badass but I don't think you can look past the home crowd.

I miss the players wearing their own unis.  The different colors and types were something very cool.

the gold shoes, gold belt and lack of hustle pretty much sums up why I can’t stand manny fucking machado.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    igotid88 said:
    Shouldn't Alcantara get the start?
    his inning was very impressive. where’s he going when he leaves miami?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    WTF? I didn’t know they were actually gonna let poo-holes INTO the game. manfred is about as lame as bud.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    and, oh fuck, now here’s big sloppi.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    and, oh fuck, now marlins man has paid his way into the front row.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    This is the worst broadcast of all time. Joe Davis blows. Enough with the mic’d up players. You can’t hear them talk and the announcers don’t say a damn thing. This is god awful. Somehow Fox managed to get WORSE without Joe Buck. 
    This is the worst broadcast of all time. Joe Davis blows. Enough with the mic’d up players. You can’t hear them talk and the announcers don’t say a damn thing. This is god awful. Somehow Fox managed to get WORSE without Joe Buck. 
    I loved the mic'd up players so I don't know what the problem is Boomer.  That sequence between Nestor and Trevino was really cool.
    there’s a lot of talent on display but not much “star power” by the 5th inning. this thing is getting as bad as the other ASGs.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16