MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    In other news Freddie Freeman shouldn't have left Atlanta and the Halos have become the Tiger Woods of baseball.  Even when they lose the mention of what Trout and Ohtani do gets more headlines than what the other team may have done.

I'll tell you it's getting frustrating being a Halos fan...
    Try being an A's fan.
    So, you guys at least smell the playoffs every now and again.  Bring up a good farm team, then trade them of course, but still a respectable team.

You guys have had, since 2010, Cespedes, Semien, Chapman, Gray, Olson, Donaldson that I can think of.  We have names like Trout of course, Weaver, Trumbo...  Maybe Cole Calhoun?

Keep your head up.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,449
    In other news Freddie Freeman shouldn't have left Atlanta and the Halos have become the Tiger Woods of baseball.  Even when they lose the mention of what Trout and Ohtani do gets more headlines than what the other team may have done.

Try being an A's fan.
    So, you guys at least smell the playoffs every now and again.  Bring up a good farm team, then trade them of course, but still a respectable team.

You guys have had, since 2010, Cespedes, Semien, Chapman, Gray, Olson, Donaldson that I can think of.  We have names like Trout of course, Weaver, Trumbo...  Maybe Cole Calhoun?

Keep your head up.
    The A's scouting department and developing staff has been doing a fantastic job for many years preparing players for the big leagues and then preparing the constant flow of prospects they received after the team trades the last bunch of players they got ready. If they can ever get their new stadium built, either in Oakland or Las Vegas, their excuses for not spending on payroll will be gone and the constant trading of players better come to an end.  

Try being an A's fan.

Keep your head up.
    The A's scouting department and developing staff has been doing a fantastic job for many years preparing players for the big leagues and then preparing the constant flow of prospects they received after the team trades the last bunch of players they got ready. If they can ever get their new stadium built, either in Oakland or Las Vegas, their excuses for not spending on payroll will be gone and the constant trading of players better come to an end.  
    Building a new stadium only does so much for attendance.  Your local taxes go up though, lol!

In the pipes you have 3 guys Pineda, Soderstrom and Langeliers who u got from the Braves, that should be good in the upcoming years.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Happy Bobby Bonilla day.  
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    pjhawks said:
    Happy Bobby Bonilla day.  

:lol: was gonna post this also.

MLB needs to get rid of the "ghost runner" on second base in extra innings. I just don't like it at al and it takes away from the game I believe.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    pjhawks said:
    Happy Bobby Bonilla day.  

MLB needs to get rid of the "ghost runner" on second base in extra innings. I just don't like it at al and it takes away from the game I believe.

terrible fucking idea. maybe do it if it goes to the 12th.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I LOATHE teams that play God Bless America for the 7th Inning Stretch. You already sang the damn National Anthem at the start of the game, which is also a stupid fucking practice that makes no sense whatsoever.

Either sing Take Me Out To The Ballgame or just do nothing at all.
    Wobbie said:
    pjhawks said:
    Happy Bobby Bonilla day.  

Agreed. Most extra innings games are over by the 12th anyway. Hell, most are over by the 10th or 11th without this stupid fucking rule. If it goes beyond 12, sure, speed the game up and throw the runner on in the 13th.  But are there really enough extra innings games going on long enough for this to even be a rule? It’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist. 
    Wobbie said:
    pjhawks said:
    Happy Bobby Bonilla day.  

Agreed. Most extra innings games are over by the 12th anyway. Hell, most are over by the 10th or 11th without this stupid fucking rule. If it goes beyond 12, sure, speed the game up and throw the runner on in the 13th.  But are there really enough extra innings games going on long enough for this to even be a rule? It’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist. 
    Pitching is at an all time premium now.  Have you not been following the dwindling of innings pitched by the starters?

I am one that is not for change but I understand why it's there.
    I LOATHE teams that play God Bless America for the 7th Inning Stretch. You already sang the damn National Anthem at the start of the game, which is also a stupid fucking practice that makes no sense whatsoever.

Communist...  On our nations independence day you say this...

I am not one for it either.  The Yankees still do it but when I see Aaron Judge sing it I get a little moved, not gonna lie.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    pjhawks said:
    Happy Bobby Bonilla day.  

The runner on 2nd in extra innings is another example in baseball of something that I didn't like when it was proposed, but I've grown to like it. Other examples include inter-league play, universal DH, and multiple wildcards. Hated them all when proposed, but I'm fine with them now that they've been executed.....though I think the extra innings runner should start on 1st base instead of 2nd. Opens the possibility of a double play, and it would take an extra base hit rather than some bloop-single to score the runner.  
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    pjhawks said:
    Happy Bobby Bonilla day.  

The runner on 2nd in extra innings is another example in baseball of something that I didn't like when it was proposed, but I've grown to like it. Other examples include inter-league play, universal DH, and multiple wildcards. Hated them all when proposed, but I'm fine with them now that they've been executed.....though I think the extra innings runner should start on 1st base instead of 2nd. Opens the possibility of a double play, and it would take an extra base hit rather than some bloop-single to score the runner.  
    DH i'm still on the fence.

Multiple wildcards i'm fine with. Always thought it was kinda weird that you had eight teams out of like 32 make the playoffs when the NHL, NBA and NFL have more than half of their teams make the playoffs.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly

Communist...  On our nations independence day you say this...

I am not one for it either.  The Yankees still do it but when I see Aaron Judge sing it I get a little moved, not gonna lie.
    Ha! Ya got me!
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    pjhawks said:
    Happy Bobby Bonilla day.  

Multiple wildcards i'm fine with. Always thought it was kinda weird that you had eight teams out of like 32 make the playoffs when the NHL, NBA and NFL have more than half of their teams make the playoffs.
    NFL isn't at half (yet). They now have 14 teams but there's 32 in the league. The NBA and NHL playoffs are ridiculous, but I'm not sure how they'd change them. Hell, the NBA has made it even more ridiculous with the play-in tournament.

But as for baseball, Yeah, four teams per league wasn't enough. And I hated when there was five teams and the two wildcards played in a one-game playoff. I love the current format with the two top teams in each league getting a bye, and the remaining four teams playing a best of three series all hosted by the higher seeded team. I love that. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    pjhawks said:
    Happy Bobby Bonilla day.  

And in the "regular season is so important" mlb, teams that win 88 games are occasionally crowned champions while 100 win teams must sit and watch.
    DH blows

Runner on 2nd in extra innings is amateurish

Extra wild card and 3 game wild card series is the right move

I am not a fan of letting the players carry around cards in the field to position themselves. either study it and remember it or make coach position you.

Should not be allowed to have more than 2 players on one side of 2nd base in the infield and infielders should not be allowed to position themselves in the outfield (put in a line at a determined distance that separates infielders and outfielders for positioning).

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    edited July 2022
    I know this is not MLB, but I thought I'd Post it here:

I don't know why it's sensitive(Unless something is being said in Spanish?)

Post edited by cutz on
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    pjhawks said:
    DH blows

I am not a fan of letting the players carry around cards in the field to position themselves. either study it and remember it or make coach position you.

Should not be allowed to have more than 2 players on one side of 2nd base in the infield and infielders should not be allowed to position themselves in the outfield (put in a line at a determined distance that separates infielders and outfielders for positioning).

They're getting rid of the extreme shifts next year
    I miss igotid88
    pjhawks said:
    DH blows

Should they go back to wearing wool uniforms too, lol?  

The game does evolve.  That being said I want spidertack and a 12" mound back.  I would love for Ohtani to change the game and have more pitchers hitting better.

I'm wondering if you think the QB shouldn't have the plays on his arm?
    pjhawks said:
    DH blows

The game does evolve.  That being said I want spidertack and a 12" mound back.  I would love for Ohtani to change the game and have more pitchers hitting better.

Well the QB having plays on his arm is an offshoot of the play clock.  Need that to speed up the time between getting plays in and out in the required time.  Unlike baseball football has a set amount of time between plays.   In general there is nothing wrong with the pace of play in Football.  
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    DH blows

Well the QB having plays on his arm is an offshoot of the play clock.  Need that to speed up the time between getting plays in and out in the required time.  Unlike baseball football has a set amount of time between plays.   In general there is nothing wrong with the pace of play in Football.  
    So to speed things up, let the players have the card to position themselves.

I don't think coaches even coach like that anymore in the majors?  It's getting to the point where they sure as hell don't listen to the third base coach when coming into third...

With everything charted now it is easier to let the players police themselves.

I still like the shift.  F em if they can't bunt or hit the other way, lol.
    I really hope that Halo fans appreciate Ohtani right now because he won't be with them too much longer...

The Angels have to be the worst run organization in the league, seriously...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    The Apple TV deal is super frustrating for those who pay a premium for the MLB package and don't have access to high speed internet.  My parent called me asking why they can't watch the game tonight and it took me a while to figure out why because they said it was on available on "ATV" (thanks Direct TV for making it even more super confusing to elderly people).

My parents live in an area that has blackout restrictions on FIVE teams.  The closest stadium in the blackout zone is a 3 hour drive away.  The furthest is a 8 hour drive.  Ridiculous.

I watched a little bit of Apple TV coverage.  Announcers were horrible (almost as bad as Marquee Network ... almost).  I have better things to do than watch MLB shoot itself in the foot again.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Apple sucks
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Two bizarre extra inning wins for the Mets today. Could have lost both and I was certain they were going to lose the nightcap, bottom of tenth up by a run,Cubs with bases loaded one out, pitcher slipping and Diaz unavailable , sharp grounder to third, double play, game over

You gotta believe.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    Man, Sale is one unlucky mofo
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    Man, Sale is one unlucky mofo
    No shit right?

Soto turns down a big contract and now Nats are looking to trade him?  Are they nuts?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    No, this is what they have to do if he wont sign with them.
    They'd be nuts to not look at trading him.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    No, this is what they have to do if he wont sign with them.
    They'd be nuts to not look at trading him.
    You think he wants out or he wants more money?

They say that every player wants to test free agency or he is just sick of the rebuilding?

Any type of trade would be like a Herschel Walker type and Soto might only be a rental for one year...