The Golf Thread

Comments

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited July 2022
    First two holes at Portstewart - Strand.  Just amazing.  Sharp dogleg right on number 1.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 624
    Whoa!  Those dunes are massive!
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
    Lahinch’s dunes are crazy.  Portrush was great but not really a photogenic course so wasn’t as breathtaking as some others.  

Cool to see Tiger and Rory today at Adare.  First pro event for me.  Crazy watching these tee shots in person.  Pretty neat event. Most of the pros signed autographs each hole (signed the caps that served as tickets).  Got some Ryder Cup 2027 gear.  The course looks in immaculate condition. Reminded me of Augusta.  Can’t wait to play it in a few days.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    My nephew just advanced to the next round this Drive/Chip/Putt contest. Kid's not even 7 yet but finished 3rd in the 7-9 age group! Almost sank a 20 ft putt...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Playing Ballybunion this morning.  We see a helicopter come by.  About 45 minutes later we pass Tiger and Rory while they are on #2.  
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited July 2022
    Playing Ballybunion this morning.  We see a helicopter come by.  About 45 minutes later we pass Tiger and Rory while they are on #2.  
    That’s amazing. I saw on Twitter they were playing there. Hell of a pairing to cross paths with. Very cool

Rory’s drive on 18 is the first picture.  Crazy.  Ball is left side.
    Yeah, that's pretty incredible
    Damn.  Played Adare Manor today. Was warming up and Tiger was there and was going to the range in a few minutes.  I had to go catch my tee time and missed sharing the range with him by about 20 minutes.  

I did get a photo with Bill Murray while on the course.  We asked him to join us but he had just played his last hole after bouncing around on the back.  

I was curious and walked over to Tiger’s area because I wanted to confirm he was hitting Bridgestones on the range.  He was.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Damn.  Played Adare Manor today. Was warming up and Tiger was there and was going to the range in a few minutes.  I had to go catch my tee time and missed sharing the range with him by about 20 minutes.  

I did get a photo with Bill Murray while on the course.  We asked him to join us but he had just played his last hole after bouncing around on the back.  

I was curious and walked over to Tiger’s area because I wanted to confirm he was hitting Bridgestones on the range.  He was.

That's so cool.

Maybe he's staying there this week as he's good friends with the owner. Adare-Ballybunnion-Adare. He'll probably get a round in at Lahinch as well prior to The Open.
    eddiec said:

That's so cool.

Maybe he's staying there this week as he's good friends with the owner. Adare-Ballybunnion-Adare. He'll probably get a round in at Lahinch as well prior to The Open.
    Yeah, that is what he is doing. Using as a home base.  The range there is spectacular.  The grass is absolutely perfect.  I stayed after the round for a few hours and took advantage of the practice area.  

Dude, this golf trip of a lifetime became even more of one 

Dude, this golf trip of a lifetime became even more of one 
    These little things make it even more exciting.   I've been shooting in the high 90's for the most part.  Courses are tough and easy to lose a ball or two (or 5) a round in the thick stuff.  Have had a few situations where you hit across the green a few times.  Three rounds left.  Body has held up great so far.  
    Well the body held up great for 13 rounds in 11 days.   Incredible.  My initial quick ranking based on how much I enjoyed the course and memorable holes are:  

Ballybunion
    Lahinch
    Royal Portrush
    Old Head
    Portstewart - Strand
    Adare Manor
    Royal County Down
    County Sligo
    Tralee
    Portmarnock Hotel

All the courses were phenomenal.  I don't think I'm good enough at golf to understand Royal County Down and why it is #1 in the world outside of USA.  Maybe it was the last round and the round just seemed to fly by, but I don't really remember any of the holes.  Just seemed pretty repetitive.   I only had a caddie at Adare and RCD.  I think having a caddie is huge for helping navigate the course and reading greens, but I think I don't take in the course as much as the caddie tells me where to hit and that is what I focus on versus spending time figuring it out myself and maybe getting a better idea of the holes.  Plus, RCD greens were by far the slowest on the trip (by a lot) and it took a while to get used to the pace. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Great, DOJ investigating PGA Tour for anticompetitive practices for suspending players joining LIV tour.

Simple solution, exemptions to future tournaments awarded for FEDEX points, wins, etc should require participation in PGA tour. If not full time participant, players should be allowed option to qualify for a PGA event. Make it a two day process to try to qualify. DJ going to try to qualify? I think probably not

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/11/sports/golf/pga-tour-liv-golf-doj.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/11/sports/golf/pga-tour-liv-golf-doj.html?referringSource=articleShare

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Great, DOJ investigating PGA Tour for anticompetitive practices for suspending players joining LIV tour.

Simple solution, exemptions to future tournaments awarded for FEDEX points, wins, etc should require participation in PGA tour. If not full time participant, players should be allowed option to qualify for a PGA event. Make it a two day process to try to qualify. DJ going to try to qualify? I think probably not

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/11/sports/golf/pga-tour-liv-golf-doj.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/11/sports/golf/pga-tour-liv-golf-doj.html?referringSource=articleShare

Why don't the Toronto Argonauts ever get to play in the super bowl?  Seems anti-competitive to me. 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Well the body held up great for 13 rounds in 11 days.   Incredible.  My initial quick ranking based on how much I enjoyed the course and memorable holes are:  

Ballybunion
    Lahinch
    Royal Portrush
    Old Head
    Portstewart - Strand
    Adare Manor
    Royal County Down
    County Sligo
    Tralee
    Portmarnock Hotel

All the courses were phenomenal.  I don't think I'm good enough at golf to understand Royal County Down and why it is #1 in the world outside of USA.  Maybe it was the last round and the round just seemed to fly by, but I don't really remember any of the holes.  Just seemed pretty repetitive.   I only had a caddie at Adare and RCD.  I think having a caddie is huge for helping navigate the course and reading greens, but I think I don't take in the course as much as the caddie tells me where to hit and that is what I focus on versus spending time figuring it out myself and maybe getting a better idea of the holes.  Plus, RCD greens were by far the slowest on the trip (by a lot) and it took a while to get used to the pace. 
    Hell of run there. Not a chance in hell I could do 13 in a 11 days. Might be able to do half that amount though. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    WTF is up with justin thomas’ joggers and hoodie?

fuck tiger.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    WTF is up with justin thomas’ joggers and hoodie?

fuck tiger.
    He loves the hoodie.  

Go Tiger.  
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    The course is scorched
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 624
    RIP Cat
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
    ddeschler said:
    RIP Cat
    Yeah, this is an official nail in the career coffin
    Yep, he can’t compete anymore, maybe one day. But not four.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    ddeschler said:
    RIP Cat
    Yeah, this is an official nail in the career coffin
    don’t let the door hit you in the ass.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Maybe 3 days when he's eligible for the senior tour??
    Should have joined LIV. 
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    Should have joined LIV. 
    I was going  add this haha
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Is this leaderboard real life?
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Loving my pre-tourney bets on Cam Smith and Cam Young