*** Pearl Jam London, UK Fanviews 7/8/22 ***

Comments

• wozza77wozza77 Posts: 273
    Was great to hear the War Pigs lick during Alive for the first time in a long time. Also… got a pick!!!!!
    Also loved the Sex Pistols tag at the end of Quick Escape
    Yeah that was great. Wasn’t fan of public image though
    Now it all comes down to numbers, now I'm glad that I have quit
    Folks these days just don't do nothing simple for the love of it
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    Was great to hear the War Pigs lick during Alive for the first time in a long time. Also… got a pick!!!!!
    Awesome! Congrats. That's what that riff is from. Knew it was familiar & never could peg it. love sabbath.
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,923
    Absolutely magnificent last night, just the most beautiful and perfect occassion. We were chilling at the back of the 10c section where it started to thin out (too old to get involved!!), still a fantastic view and amazing sound. The dusk sky was so glorious over Hyde Park and I'm glad Eddie stopped to point it out and soak it in, wonderful. Great setlist and I think a superb balance to appeal to all types of fans. Light Years was very emotional and poignant, there were not many dry eyes around where we were and our hearts went out to Donna's family and friends, it was also my late Father-in-law's birthday yesterday so we felt it. The other big highlight for me was Breath, one of my all time favourites and I was very taken back when they started it!

Thank you PJ, it was worth the wait and so much more.

Great to hear the sound was good at the back of the golden circle. I’ll be hanging out there tonight. I was down at the front, stone’s side last night. Great view and sound but fans needed a bit of warming up! 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • What a night. Last time they played london we got breath so was not expecting that, and especially not 3rd song in. Retrograde was incredible. Light years shows how much this band cares and unthought known and in hiding are always very welcome.

Definitely some proper idiots in the 10c section. 5 guys who didn't know the first batch of songs almost got into a fight right before the start and then preceeded to talk loudly through the songs, even during the light years dedication. Even flow started,  they then ran down the front and I was glad to be shot of them.

Anthor knob was the bloke in the pink kangol bucket hat at the front center. A young kid of about 18/20 crowd surfed over during the pixies and this guy pulled him down and berated him and was overly aggressive. Security had words as he was fully out of line.

Always going to be idiots everywhere though and they didn't ruin the night.
    Sealed vinyl is bad vinyl.
    1996 Wmbly London
    2006 Jools Holland, London / Reading festival
    2007 Wmbly London
    2009 SBE London / O2 London
    2012 MEN 1/ MEN 2 / Berlin 1 / Berlin 2 / EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2013 NY 1/ NY 2 / Philly 1 / Philly 2
    2014 AMS 1 / AMS 2 / Leeds / MK
    2017 EV LDN 1 / EV LDN 2
    2018 LDN 1 / BCN / LDN 2
    2022 LDN 1 / LDN 2
  • Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 268
    Stunning night. Not sure how they'll top that tonight tbh.
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    GD274660 said:
    Any reviews from the Hyde Away VIP area?
    The Wimbledon Seats?
  • JimNasticsJimNastics Posts: 679
    GD274660 said:
    Any reviews from the Hyde Away VIP area?
    The Wimbledon Seats?

Haha no, though I did enjoy that jibe from Eddie for the terrace seats :D The PJ Hide Away was tucked somewhere around the back behind the stage, I think it was just some seating, toilets and a bar / food.
  • Max_RanMax_Ran Posts: 8
    My 6th show and first at Hyde Park (and my 7th forum post). Just brilliant. I am so grateful for the 10club area, it was fantastic! Found myself at the side rail for Pixies and then about 50 meters back from the stage on Mike's side for the main show. A completely different experience from previous shows for to the proximity of the band, the sound was great and crowd were friendly and cool. As others have said it was perfect conditions last night, the whole band were on great form - especially Mike - just wow! Lots of good memories made, I thought the new tracks fitted in well and how random was it to see John McEnroe jamming on "Free World"? The setlist is just that and whilst maybe not to everyone's taste, there were some tracks I hadn't heard before and some I had - I was happy either way. 
    18/08/2009 - London
    20/06/2012 - Manchester
    31/07/2012 - EV Solo - London 2
    08/07/2014 - Leeds
    11/07/2014 - Milton Keynes
    17/07/2018 - London 2
    08/07/2022 - London 1
    edited July 2022
    Public Image Ltd. was awesome!!! I’m an old PiL fan… loved it and could care less if I’m just one of a handful.  
    There was a group of three kids… maybe in their late teens… singing along in a mini semi-circle to every song about halfway back. Loved their energy. Great to see next generation fans so fired up. 

Typical festival crowd, some people are fans, some know the hits, some there to get hammered. Where I was standing it was all very respectful. 

Overall, had a great time. Heading over to do it all over again! 
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    Anyone know who “Save You” is about?  Maybe it’s common knowledge but I have no idea.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • chittychitty Posts: 574
    OnWis97 said:
    Anyone know who “Save You” is about?  Maybe it’s common knowledge but I have no idea.
     Curious myself. Great rocking tune 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    chitty said:
    OnWis97 said:
     Curious myself. Great rocking tune 
    pretty sure it was about Kurt Cobain originally
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 145
    My favourite support band was White Reaper  -they rocked in a Jimmy Eat World vibe. Miles better than the Pixies who were personally very disappointing.
  • PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    Tjm007 said:
    My favourite support band was White Reaper  -they rocked in a Jimmy Eat World vibe. Miles better than the Pixies who were personally very disappointing.
    I enjoyed White Reaper as well in Berlin and Frankfurt..! The keyboard player was hillarious! 

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • WD249844WD249844 Posts: 1
    The problem in Hyde park has always been that because of the nearby posh neighborhood (Mayfair) there’s a decibel limit so the music is never loud enough. 
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    That was phenomenal! Thank you so much PJ!
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Sobelberg8Sobelberg8 Posts: 924
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com
  • PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    OnWis97 said:
    I was wondering too. 
    Save you is awesome rocker.  

• PJALK said:
    OnWis97 said:
    I was wondering too. 
    Save you is awesome rocker.  

Not certain but I believe it's about Layne Staley
    2007 London
    2009 Manchester
    2010 Dublin / London
    2012 Manchester I & II / Berlin I & II / EV: Manchester
    2014 Amsterdam I & II / Vienna / Berlin / Leeds
  • tomccfc87tomccfc87 Posts: 30
    What a night. Last time they played london we got breath so was not expecting that, and especially not 3rd song in. Retrograde was incredible. Light years shows how much this band cares and unthought known and in hiding are always very welcome.

Definitely some proper idiots in the 10c section. 5 guys who didn't know the first batch of songs almost got into a fight right before the start and then preceeded to talk loudly through the songs, even during the light years dedication. Even flow started,  they then ran down the front and I was glad to be shot of them.

Anthor knob was the bloke in the pink kangol bucket hat at the front center. A young kid of about 18/20 crowd surfed over during the pixies and this guy pulled him down and berated him and was overly aggressive. Security had words as he was fully out of line.

Sadly festivals like Hyde Park always attract an idiot element of people who just want to get drunk in a field whilst taking photos for their Instagram. We didn't have anyone aggressive near us but on night one we found ourselves in the golden circle area next to some guys who clearly didn't know basic concert etiquette and showed no regard for anyone around them. Then on night two, also in Golden Circle, we were in front of a bunch of middle aged men who would start moaning every time Eddie would talk to the crowd, clearly they have never been to a PJ show (or listened to any PJ lyrics before if they didn't know to expect some politically charged words from Ed.

That's the thing with Hyde Park BST tho, even work 10C members getting early entrance the front area was still totally open to anyone willing to pay extra to be there. In an ideal world Golden Circle access should just be on a first come first served basis so it gets filled up with fans who have made the effort to get down there early for a band they love rather than with people with a bit more money to upgrade their tickets who spent all day at the bar and barged their way towards the front 10 mins before PJ came on stage.
  • JimNasticsJimNastics Posts: 679
    tomccfc87 said:
    What a night. Last time they played london we got breath so was not expecting that, and especially not 3rd song in. Retrograde was incredible. Light years shows how much this band cares and unthought known and in hiding are always very welcome.

Sadly festivals like Hyde Park always attract an idiot element of people who just want to get drunk in a field whilst taking photos for their Instagram. We didn't have anyone aggressive near us but on night one we found ourselves in the golden circle area next to some guys who clearly didn't know basic concert etiquette and showed no regard for anyone around them. Then on night two, also in Golden Circle, we were in front of a bunch of middle aged men who would start moaning every time Eddie would talk to the crowd, clearly they have never been to a PJ show (or listened to any PJ lyrics before if they didn't know to expect some politically charged words from Ed.

That's the thing with Hyde Park BST tho, even work 10C members getting early entrance the front area was still totally open to anyone willing to pay extra to be there. In an ideal world Golden Circle access should just be on a first come first served basis so it gets filled up with fans who have made the effort to get down there early for a band they love rather than with people with a bit more money to upgrade their tickets who spent all day at the bar and barged their way towards the front 10 mins before PJ came on stage.
    If it's the same guy, pink kangol bucket hat man had a friend wearing the exact same hat (I assume to so they can pick each other out in the crowd). They were being insufferable idiots in the Amex Summer Garden when people were just trying to chill with a beer, so no surprise to hear they were being dickheads in the crowd as well. We spent an hour in the Summer Garden before PJ came on, and it was an interesting bunch in there, put it that way! Mostly cool and chilled apart from some exceptions, but certainly got the impression for many it was basically just a night out and something to do, rather than coming to see PJ. Totally fine of course but I agree it would have been nice if 10c had their proper own little section right at the front, then maybe the VIP Summer Garden folk behind that, then GA.

tomccfc87 said:

If it's the same guy, pink kangol bucket hat man had a friend wearing the exact same hat (I assume to so they can pick each other out in the crowd). They were being insufferable idiots in the Amex Summer Garden when people were just trying to chill with a beer, so no surprise to hear they were being dickheads in the crowd as well. We spent an hour in the Summer Garden before PJ came on, and it was an interesting bunch in there, put it that way! Mostly cool and chilled apart from some exceptions, but certainly got the impression for many it was basically just a night out and something to do, rather than coming to see PJ. Totally fine of course but I agree it would have been nice if 10c had their proper own little section right at the front, then maybe the VIP Summer Garden folk behind that, then GA.

I saw those guys as well. They weren’t doing anything mind you, but those were pretty awful hats lmao
  • Pitty1975Pitty1975 Posts: 2
    I thought the set list was spot on to open with betterman was just jaw dropping and my mate had stated all day that was the track he wanted to hear so we had a big green tick right from the off. Great mixture of albums through all the ages but predominately Ten so I don’t get some of the moaning I have seen on other platforms about not playing Black (they did on the following night) but Jeremy was outstanding and a fantastic experience in 10C………Thought Pixies were brilliant as well. All in all the Uk weather was at its majestic red sky finest the 65000 strong crowd were one of the friendliest I have ever experienced Hyde Park was very well organised and hardly any Q’s (from my experience) and the band as always didn’t disappoint Live and knocked it out the park 👍👏🙌
    ^^^
    BST is one well run festival, have to agree with that. Very impressive. 
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    edited July 2022
    DROP IN THE HYDE PARK
    Speechless!... Gorgeous sunny weather! Reached South Entrance around 10:30. There were already twenty to thirty other superfans in the 10C-15 queue. I could have joined the queue at least half an hour earlier, but because I was given wrong instructions re the 10C-15 wristbands by a Hyde Park staff member, I ended up being #45 (silver 10C wristband). Other than that little incident and the delay during the QR code scanning, the whole event was organised perfectly (everyhing was so easily approachable and the security guys were all welcoming and helpful). Fortunately, I did not experience a long queue anywhere (toilets, bar, outside merch). While on the queue, I got to meet two British ladies (I don't remember their names), Anthony (an Australian man), Rosa, Laura and Miguel (Spain). I liked the way we pretty much maintained our order when walking towards the 10C area. I managed to find a spot at the rail right between Mike and Jeff. I also met two Greek-Cypriot men (I don't remeber their names), and another Spanish girl (Bea) while waiting those 7 long hours. We all formed a nice little group together, and I enjoyed my 3rd show from the front row with plenty of space to dance, take pictures, and even hold up my little A3 banner. Eddie saw my banner (PHD IN PEARL JAM), looked me straight in the eyes, held his head and mouthed: "Are you crazy?". Mike was holding his head in amazement of how many people were in attendance while keep exclaiming: "Wow!". One of the BST security guys gave me one of Mike's guitar picks (letter i in black). Mike also pointed at me a couple of times, and stopped to take a good look of my banner and t-shirt (EDUCATION). I particularly enjoyed the Cat Power set. The Murder Capital were quite energetic as well. Simon Townshend's set was quite appropriate as an opener. I loved the fact that him and Eddie did again the I'm the Answer duet, as they did in Milton Keynes in 2014. Eddie was hilarious chasing one of the White Reaper members to throw him the birthday cake. He also hugged the big oak tree in an attempt to climb it. The band was in great shape and form, and Eddie sounded better than ever! I can too testify that Pearl Jam's music has healing powers: Right before they went on stage, I started having a terrible headache (probably because of the long waiting under the sun). But when they started playing and we were all singing along, I forgot about everyhting. No pain, no nothing. Thank you very much for this memorable summer night Eddie, Mike, Matt, Jeff, Stone, Boom, and Josh!!!!!!!
    Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    edited July 2022
    You mention Anthony  the  Australian  guy. 
    I have a small story . I too managed  to have a massive headache  all day took all manner of pills to try keep it away. As the  set unfolded i loved the tempo, crowd were nice which  isnt a guarantee in london outdoors in the summer.
    Anyway i need to find antony.  He was with my dear friends  ewa and Keith in front of jeff and mike with you  pap. 
    Ive never  met antony when the show finished i waited to see them.  Over they came with Anthony.  (5 mins before i watched jeff throw his sweatband  as i always do) .
    Well antony walked ahead of ewa and said to me i want YOU  to have this i heard a lot about your  journey through out the years whilst in the line with ewa!
    In the past ive passed drum sticks to others and i passed picks to 3 people  around me . Kids, first time goers. I always do.
    This  guy blew my fuckin mind . I cried a little as i do. A lot.
    I said i can't  take it. But he held my wrist and looked in my eyes and said take it. I want you to have it. I know yoh will cherish  it. 

Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    edited July 2022
    thank you australian anthony. What a sound guy. 
    I will find his details and send him something  cool.
    If anyone bumps into him. Show him love . A really genuine   man who  gets what life is all about.  
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    This was night 2
     Wrong thread but same thing  haha
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• js261067js261067 Posts: 125
    I managed to stand amongst the worst of the crowd.  The guy in front of me was drunk with his wife,  smoked 3 joints within 6 foot of an 8 year old and then did some blow.  All the while offering it to anybody who would make eye contact with him and befriending/cuddling all those around him. He clearly didn't know a SINLGE PJ song and talked through most of the set.  He was obviously just there to get fucked up at a "rock concert"  Well into his 50's as well,  very distractive.

And then behind us the group of "lads" that shouted "Jeremy" every time there was a break between songs and then,  when they played it (amongst other heavier Ten tracks)  proceeded to mosh as though they were in the pit at a slipknot concert.

Then,  just to add some garnish,  one decided to throw up about 6 pints of vomit,  giving my legs a lovely staccato finish.

Great set,  great performance,  shame about the twats.
    Lord... that sounds like england in a nutshell
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07