Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    I WANNA KNOW WHAT CONCERTS THE SONGS ARE TAKEN FROM
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    I WANNA KNOW WHAT CONCERTS THE SONGS ARE TAKEN FROM
    All it has on NYA is this

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    https://youtu.be/TF13Xk62Onk

How come Neil produces magic live in a way no other artist can? It's so fucking weird. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I can't afford to keep up with neil on vinyl anymore.  At this point I will jump in for special stuff like neil jam live, or a live set from the Silver and Gold tour maybe Crazy Horse at Warfield if that were to come out, but as magic as neil is, I am definitely at saturation for NY Vinyl
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    static111 said:
    I can't afford to keep up with neil on vinyl anymore.  At this point I will jump in for special stuff like neil jam live, or a live set from the Silver and Gold tour maybe Crazy Horse at Warfield if that were to come out, but as magic as neil is, I am definitely at saturation for NY Vinyl
    It's a lot.  I'm 100% in for Unplugged, Mirror Ball and Ragged Glory though.  
    move away from vinyl. Im speaking live. 

Neil Young is the one artist creating pure magic
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    It's a lot.  I'm 100% in for Unplugged, Mirror Ball and Ragged Glory though.  
    Oh yeah Unplugged is a definite, I am lucky to have got an OP Mirrorball when it came out so I am not in a rush to add another to the collection...Ragged Glory Deluxe, well yeah that too...damn neil and his late stage money grab!
    Scio me nihil scire

move away from vinyl. Im speaking live. 

Neil Young is the one artist creating pure magic
    I agree, there are not any artists off the top of my head that can create the atmosphere he does in a live setting...Damien Rice is one person that I have seen accomplish similar feats, although his music is not as varied. Tom Waits live is also magic in an otherworldly way, but I get your point, nobody consistently delivers the live magic like Neil.
    Scio me nihil scire

goldrush said:
    There’ll be a LP, CD, Blu Ray box set version of it as well 

With it being a bluray and not a DVD, that bodes well for Dublin 95.

But that should be an UHD obviouslyyyyyyy.
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    edited June 2022
    static111 said:

I didnt bother with Live on 2 Legs because I'm saving for Neil's upcoming releases. Its hard to keep justifying it but I'm absolutely in on Toast, this PoTR live album and also the Ragged Glory reissue. Assuming there'll be a Weld reissue as well and that's another must-purchase for me.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
    https://youtu.be/TF13Xk62Onk

How come Neil produces magic live in a way no other artist can? It's so fucking weird. 
    He's in a league of his own.

• minki2011minki2011 Posts: 12
    I was at the Berlin show of that tour and it was awesome! Enjoyed that more than his Crazy Horse tours in 2013 and 2014. I remember the goosebumps when he did Danger Bird. Never thought I'd hear that one...
    And this was the very interesting setlist:

Country Home
    Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    Over And Over
    Mr. Soul
    Helpless
    Old Man
    Field Of Opportunity
    Heart Of Gold
    Words
    Lotta Love
    Walk On
    Winterlong
    Bad Fog Of Loneliness
    Danger Bird
    Hey Hey, My, My
    Love And Only Love
    Rockin' In The Free World
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Roll Another Number
    Piece Of Crap

Only a few days later Neil postet on his website "Berlin could be a live album", so he must have liked it, too:)
    minki2011 said:
    I was at the Berlin show of that tour and it was awesome! Enjoyed that more than his Crazy Horse tours in 2013 and 2014. I remember the goosebumps when he did Danger Bird. Never thought I'd hear that one...

Country Home
    Over And Over
    Mr. Soul
    Helpless
    Old Man
    Field Of Opportunity
    Heart Of Gold
    Words
    Lotta Love
    Walk On
    Winterlong
    Bad Fog Of Loneliness
    Danger Bird
    Hey Hey, My, My
    Love And Only Love
    Roll Another Number
    Piece Of Crap

Only a few days later Neil postet on his website "Berlin could be a live album", so he must have liked it, too:)
    I was at Berlin and Dresden the day or two before. I dug them both. And had a nice spread of songs. 

Dresden:

Mansion on the Hill
    Powderfinger
    Love to Burn
    Alabama
    Words (Between the Lines of Age)
    Bad Fog of Loneliness 
    The Needle and the Damage Done
    Comes a Time
    Human Highway
    Lotta Love
    Walk On
    Winterlong
    Fuckin' Up
    Cortez the Killer
    Cinnamon Girl
    Rockin' in the Free World
    Powderfinger
    Roll Another Number (For the Road)
    Piece of Crap
    Like a Hurricane
  • minki2011minki2011 Posts: 12
    minki2011 said:

Country Home
    Over And Over
    Mr. Soul
    Helpless
    Old Man
    Field Of Opportunity
    Heart Of Gold
    Words
    Lotta Love
    Walk On
    Winterlong
    Bad Fog Of Loneliness
    Danger Bird
    Hey Hey, My, My
    Love And Only Love
    Roll Another Number
    Piece Of Crap

I was at Berlin and Dresden the day or two before. I dug them both. And had a nice spread of songs. 

Dresden:

Mansion on the Hill
    Powderfinger
    Love to Burn
    Alabama
    Words (Between the Lines of Age)
    Bad Fog of Loneliness 
    The Needle and the Damage Done
    Comes a Time
    Human Highway
    Lotta Love
    Walk On
    Winterlong
    Fuckin' Up
    Cortez the Killer
    Cinnamon Girl
    Rockin' in the Free World
    Powderfinger
    Roll Another Number (For the Road)
    Piece of Crap
    Like a Hurricane

Also a nice one. Well, it seems we get some tracks from both shows on this new album...
    Timberline, from Toast, is out now.
    Never played live, never released, this one has a great groove!

https://youtu.be/czBAAL7fcZ8

(Tim Rogers)
    Toast is available now? Saw a pic of the vinyl
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Just got the email, Toast is heading my way!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    DLing it rn.

Amazon is shipping it to me so it should be here tomorrow. 

edited July 2022
    Now that most of the OBS are dropping, look at this list and what we know is supposed to drop this summer, that’s not off base. 

Maybe things are delayed by 7 months? ORS 4 came out mid April (7 months), Toast early July (7 months), noise and flowers is done and produced right now (7 months)

that would put Harvest 50th in September. Hopefully those Early 22 LPs are pushed to early 23 with ORS5 soon after. 
    This seems to be what is happening.  -ish. Probably more production specific for how these releases are landing in the marketplace. But this list seems to be on track still.  

Neil Confirmed Ragged Glory 2 is coming later this year still (vinyl and everything).  So we have Harvest 50, The new record and Ragged Glory/Smell The Horse confirmed for this year. Maybe we'll see ORS5 too (because he also confirmed it will have the original RG)?

Maybe Archives 3 to kick off 23? I'm betting the PJ Dublin album will be timed around ORS 6 to make a big push for those 90s LPs and the era. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    edited July 2022
    maybe there will be some edition with mirrorball and the Dublin show. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    edited July 2022
    If they did a bundle, they would sell a lot of copies to PJ fans. But I'm sure they are aware of that. 

Honestly, I expect a much bigger push for that reissue/live record compared to most of the other archival releases because of how dedicated and huge the PJ fanbase is. Like, Neil keeps pumping stuff out and outside of a news release, an Uncut/Mojo piece, and 1-2 singles, other than reviews, the archive stuff doesn't really land outside the fanbase's attention. Mirrorball has some bigger reach. Would be cool to see some sort of larger promotion. Maybe even a late night set or a one off concert (if Neil feels like performing again).
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    maybe there will be some edition with mirrorball and the Dublin show. 
    Neil has said that Mirrorball Live would be a vinyl/CD/blu ray box set like Return To Greendale, Noise & Flowers etc, but he hasn’t mentioned a bundle. The original plan for Young Shakespeare was for it to be part of After The Gold Rush 50 but that didn’t happen.

(Tim Rogers)
    An update on the new NYCH record, produced by Rick Rubin.

(Tim Rogers)
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,841
    Geez I need a Mirrorball reissue on vinyl. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    goldrush said:
    An update on the new NYCH record, produced by Rick Rubin.

Hopefully Rick Rubins pushed Neil a bit in the "take a day or two and go through the lyrics, let's not record them at once" department.
    Really liking Toast on first listen. Pretty heavy lyrics, very wistful and self-reflective at times. Some lovely guitar jams in there as well. Will take a few more listens to fully absorb.
    The 2001 tour was the best ever. 

Cant wait for Toast. Will buy it tonight

(Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Edved82 said:
    Really liking Toast on first listen. Pretty heavy lyrics, very wistful and self-reflective at times. Some lovely guitar jams in there as well. Will take a few more listens to fully absorb.

I wrote a longer mini  review in the just-received on vinyl thread, but essentially 4 1/2 out of five for me.  Leave off "Boom", make it one LP, and I'm in Crazy Horse Heaven!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:

I wrote a longer mini  review in the just-received on vinyl thread, but essentially 4 1/2 out of five for me.  Leave off "Boom", make it one LP, and I'm in Crazy Horse Heaven!
    I’m really enjoying Toast. I’m only listening on NYA at the moment because shipping to AUS takes a while. I can’t wait for the vinyl to get here.

If you think about when it was recorded, Toast actually completes a really cool NYCH 90s/00s trilogy:

Sleeps With Angels (94)
    Broken Arrow (96)
    Toast (01)

I think these 3 sound pretty good together. You could include Greendale (03), but it has a different vibe to it.

As it stands, we’re due to have 4 NYCH records in the space of just 3 years:

Colorado (Oct 19)
    Barn (Dec 21)
    Toast (July 22)
    New record (late 22)

Throw in Return To Greendale (Nov 20) and Way Down In The Rust Bucket (Feb 21) and it’s been a pretty great few years for The Horse!

(Tim Rogers)