petted101petted101 Posts: 188
    goldrush said:
    petted101 said:
    Who wrote that?
    The IG post was Mishka Shubaly, the editor of Mark’s memoir
    Thank you for posting.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,267
    The AFTER DARK WITH WES AND MARK podcast is available to stream now via Anchor, Spotify, Apple and Google.

https://anchor.fm/afterdarkwithwesandmark/episodes/WESLEY-EISOLD-AND-MARK-LANEGAN-IN-CONVERSATION-e1jl9if

Wesley Eisold: "2020 - I'm going to Mark's often during the pandemic lockdown. After we made Plague Poems, Mark wanted to do a podcast together with the idea that the listener would be a voyeur to the candid conversations we were having... the type of delirious and open talks that arrive on an all night drive. We recorded a few episodes for fun and were just getting started, and that is what you will hear here, presented unedited and in crude glory.. when Mark moved to Ireland we had plans to continue and were reaching out to friends we planned to have on. The podcast was being pitched to places at the same time he landed in a coma, and that was that. When he came out, he still wanted to pursue it and hoped we would in time, but we never got there.

Mark, I want to thank you for the laughs and inspiration and friendship.. I listened to the first episode last night and felt that I still had my friend next to me.

Thanks to Amy Lee for putting this together and also thank you to Wyatt Oberholzer in Philly who worked on the recordings to make them audible for you. These were in my pocket but there is no reason to hold on to them and I hope you'll find them enjoyable.

Extra thanks to Dylan CarlsonWarren EllisPeter HookJack Bates and Calvin Johnson for their time."

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    The Afghan Whigs have this banner on the side of the stage at Azkena Rock Festival tonight 

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Dark Mark & Skeleton Joe on splatter wax has arrived.

Been waiting a long time for this one. This was preordered way back in October, and was finally available to ship a few weeks ago. The splatter and black versions have sold out, but there is a white version available for preorder.

A project born of mutual respect from Mark Lanegan (Screaming Trees, Queens of the Stone Age) and Joe Cardamone (The Icarus Line), Dark Mark vs Skeleton Joe  (DMvSJ) mines electronic music and unearths an experimental sound for both of them, a sound coined “gothic death disco” by Louder Sound. A prolific artist and author, Lanegan has collaborated with a host of bands and musicians, including UNKLE, Neko Case, The Duke Spirit, and Queens of the Stone Age, among many others. And whil ehe’s worked with many legendary acts over his career, DMvSJ marks a new band for Lanegan, not a guest spot or featured artist. “The fact that it’s not like anything either one of us have done before is what makes this so interesting for me,” explains Lanegan. “When you have done as much stuff as Joe and I, you have to constantly search for the different and challenging to keep yourself engaged.”

"The project is called Dark Mark vs Skeleton Joe because we both have assumed these alter egos over the years,” says Cardamone about the origins of the project. "The material we wanted to do together seemed to take well to the idea that our personas here are as if we’re now outcasts to our own creative selves.

"I do think the death disco label we've been given could apply to portions of the material. Only half the record lives in that territory though," explains Cardamone. "There’s a lot of material that is nostalgic ambient. I always thought the record functioned on a day to night level. The hard songs are for when the sun is gone and the cuts without percussion are for the day after the primal beating."

The night portion of Joe's analogy is perfectly represented in opening track "Livin Dead," which immediately starts off with eerie, blaring synths before pulsating drums and arresting vocals kick in. The track is truly hypnotic and sounds like it could be right at home in a John Carpenter (Halloween, The Thing) movie. Other tracks on the record that capture this soundscape include "No Justice," which fits in line with the goth midnight dance floor, the slow-burning "Turning In Reverse," and the chaotic "Sanctified."

In contrast to the more eerie tracks and a showcase of the previously mentioned ambient nostalgia, are tracks such as the spare "Lost Animals," relying on Lanegan's vocals and minimal synth, the church organ infused "Hiraeth," and the trip-hop esque "Cold Summer." These tracks showcase the range of emotions and moods DMvSJ are able to capture on this expirmental, electronic journey.

“We were originally intending to release it earlier, but with the pandemic and other things going on in the world, it just hadn't seemed appropriate," adds Lanegan. "Now, we both feel more comfortable creeping this material into the open."

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    The 2nd and 3rd books of Mark Lanegan and Wesley Eisold’s poetry trilogy have arrived 

The first book, Plague Poems, was released in 2020. Year Zero and Ghost Radio were released posthumously in May this year.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,806
    I have all his books .
    Love his work 

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,250
    He really was quite a singular artist. Authentic to the bone. What you saw was what you got.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    trees said:
    I have all his books .
    Love his work 
    Same here. The 2 new ones were the only books I was waiting on, now they’re here. His poems would make great lyrics and vice versa.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Isobel Campbell was on an episode of the Performance Anxiety podcast recently. In the second half she talks a lot about how she met Mark, and how they came to write and record together, and how much she's missing him.

She also said that Cooking Vinyl would be reissuing the 3 albums with Mark, and also the Keep Me In Mind, Sweetheart EP,  on vinyl and cd in 2023.

Marc : "Are there going to be any reissues, on vinyl specifically, of the albums with Mark Lanegan? Or maybe an album of unreleased material?"

Isobel: "Yes to all of that, yes to all of that. Actually, right before the first lockdown in, like, March 2020, Cooking Vinyl were sorting all that."

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/isobel-campbell/id1418811854?i=1000569758024

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    goldrush said:
    Isobel Campbell was on an episode of the Performance Anxiety podcast recently. In the second half she talks a lot about how she met Mark, and how they came to write and record together, and how much she's missing him.

She also said that Cooking Vinyl would be reissuing the 3 albums with Mark, and also the Keep Me In Mind, Sweetheart EP,  on vinyl and cd in 2023.

Marc : "Are there going to be any reissues, on vinyl specifically, of the albums with Mark Lanegan? Or maybe an album of unreleased material?"

Isobel: "Yes to all of that, yes to all of that. Actually, right before the first lockdown in, like, March 2020, Cooking Vinyl were sorting all that."

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/isobel-campbell/id1418811854?i=1000569758024
    This is great news. Can’t wait for those reissues. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    Finally got around to reading Sing Backwards & Weep.

Holy shit, I couldn’t put that down once I got into it. What a crazy f’ing life he lived. I’m disappointed he didn’t really talk about the aughts, I would have loved to hear about the QOTSA days. 

I have Grohl’s Storyteller up next, and hope to tackle Devil in a Coma after that. 
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    goldrush said:

After you posted this email I got all excited and wrote an email to SubPop to find out if Saturnalia was going to be reissued/repressed. 
    Their response:

Thank you for your email. At this time there are no plans for a repress. 
    It could happen further down the line, 2023 or beyond. It's not on our schedule at this time.

Regards, 
    Sub Pop Records 

😔 
  • Options
    goldrush said:

After you posted this email I got all excited and wrote an email to SubPop to find out if Saturnalia was going to be reissued/repressed. 
    Their response:

Thank you for your email. At this time there are no plans for a repress. 
    It could happen further down the line, 2023 or beyond. It's not on our schedule at this time.

Regards, 
    Sub Pop Records 

😔 
    It would great to get a repress of Saturnalia one day, and even better if they pressed Adorata at the same time 

(Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    bought the autographed version of Sing Backwards and Weep right after he died and before they pulled it. Going to read it next week. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,673
    bought the autographed version of Sing Backwards and Weep right after he died and before they pulled it. Going to read it next week. 

strap in.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

strap in.....
    I'm honestly a bit hesitant. I have strong aversion to anything health related; very bad health anxiety. And the little I've read of what he went through his last years, I don't want to all of a sudden start finding "symptoms" of my own. why I haven't read it yet. I'm hoping that doing so on holidays in a relaxed environment might be ok to tackle it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

strap in.....
    HA

I nearly replied w/ the same. Trainspotting seems like a kid’s movie in hindsight after reading this. 
  • Options
    oh god. maybe I should just shelve it and read Dave Grohl's instead. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    edited July 2022
    Just start it to see how it hits you. If it feels like too much, move onto something else.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I loved it… The drug parts were harrowing to say the least, but the nuggets he drops about a lot of other celebrities is wild… I don’t necessarily believe 100% of it, the guy was pretty f’ed up through the ‘90s, so his memory probably isn’t perfect (although he wasn’t sued that I’m aware of so I guess there’s that. 
    Reading about how him & Layne wrote Long Gone Day & his version of the Liam Gallagher feud alone made the read worth it. 
    Also, listening through Bubblegum after finishing the book gave me a new perspective / appreciation for a lot of the lyrics. 
    Make no mistake though, Lanegan doesn’t paint a pretty picture of himself or his life (nor many others, which we know burned some bridges). 
    I legit couldn’t put it down when it got going and I can’t wait to read Devil in a Coma. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,673

heavy drug use..... about it. so unless you know herion withdrawal, you should be good...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    oh, I thought there was other stuff as well. k, I should be good
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Found Bubblegum vinyl on Amazon this AM for $40… there were only 3 left… sent my wife a link for an Xmas present… there’s still one left if anyone’s looking. 
  • Options
  • Options
    Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,344
    Signed Sing Backwards and Weep are on sale at Premier Collectibles for $70 if anybody is looking. 
  • Options
    that's where I got mine. I wasn't sure if the one I got right after he died coincidentally was the last signed copy, or if they pulled sales to stop people from capitalizing. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Signed Sing Backwards and Weep are on sale at Premier Collectibles for $70 if anybody is looking. 
    $70? Damn. 

I think my signed was $30-40

what did you pay, Hugh?
  • Options
    $30 US plus shipping. $52 CDN all in. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited July 2022
    $30 US plus shipping. $52 CDN all in. 
    Yeah… $30 + shipping sounds about right. (Bought it right when it came out, just never got around to reading it until this year)
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

strap in.....
    I'm honestly a bit hesitant. I have strong aversion to anything health related; very bad health anxiety. And the little I've read of what he went through his last years, I don't want to all of a sudden start finding "symptoms" of my own. why I haven't read it yet. I'm hoping that doing so on holidays in a relaxed environment might be ok to tackle it. 
    You might want to stay away from Devil In A Coma then. It’s starts with him being hospitalised and doesn’t get much brighter from there.

Sing Backward and Weep is a great read, but it is hard at times. It would have been good to read a follow up volume, but I remember Mark saying he wouldn’t write another biography because he found SBAW too hard to relive.

(Tim Rogers)