***OFFICIAL FOO FIGHTERS THREAD***

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited July 2022
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Dave's mother Virginia has passed. She was 84. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    edited August 2022
    I heard this was a hoax. I hope so.

Post edited by GlowGirl on
    GlowGirl said:

What an awful hoax if true. sorry for posting nonsense. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

GlowGirl said:

What an awful hoax if true. sorry for posting nonsense. 
    From what I see there is a lot of social media news reports about it, but no official news reports. I saw one report saying it was a hoax. Here is an example of the stellar journalism reporting this:

Dave Grohl's Mom Virginia Grohl Dies At The Age Of 73

This was the headline. Then here was the first sentence in the article:

"Dave Grohl's mom, Virginia Grohl, died at the age of 76. Here is more to know about her."

So between the headline and the first sentence - she aged 3 years. Clearly there is no fact checking going on at all. I will believe it when I see it on a legitimate news source.

• goldrush said:

Interesting to see what Gene Simmons is there to do…
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 544
    GlowGirl said:

Unfortunately it is true. I know someone who knows Dave. It happened a few weeks ago, actually.
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
    ZoSoTim said:
    GlowGirl said:

Unfortunately it is true. I know someone who knows Dave. It happened a few weeks ago, actually.
    I still can't find any legitimate news about it. But if it is true, I feel bad for Dave - two major losses in a short time.

GlowGirl said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    GlowGirl said:

I still can't find any legitimate news about it. But if it is true, I feel bad for Dave - two major losses in a short time.

He's a genuinely nice dude. Met him briefly twice. Still waiting for a chance to actually get to hang and talk music with him.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    goldrush said:
    More names added to the London show

Dave Grohl, Alain Johannes, Josh Homme, and John Paul Jones in the same room at the same time…
    Just texted my little cousin about this, we were talking last week about TCV and how much we would have loved a second album from them. 

Can't see it happening w/ JPJ @ 76yo, but one can always dream. 
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 779
    I can see a second Vultures album, just a tour seems out of the question. 
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
    I've been told Dave plans on continuing with the Foos. I was surprised by that. I assumed Taylor's death would be the end of the band and Dave would move on to something else.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    ZoSoTim said:
    I've been told Dave plans on continuing with the Foos. I was surprised by that. I assumed Taylor's death would be the end of the band and Dave would move on to something else.
    I’m not surprised by this at all. Dave can’t not play music. 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    ZoSoTim said:

Who’s to say he isn’t doing both? Doing a side project before coming back to Foo would be very much in character for him. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    ZoSoTim said:
    It's what I expected.   Getting to the point where you're an Arena/Stadium level band.   That's not an easy feat, even harder now.   I don't imagine that's something that's easy to walk away from.  Dave could try to go solo, but that's probably going to mean smaller crowds and smaller venues.

Plus there's the other members of the band.  Dave might be able to go out and do small arena's and theatres, but the rest of the band.  What are the odds?

If I were Taylor, I think I'd want my bandmates to try and make a go of it.   Lightning rarely strikes the same place twice (or 3 times in Dave's case).   I don't think I'd want to know my bandmates lost their livlihood on account of my passing.  I think I'd be happier knowing they got to keep living the dream.

Maybe that's just me, but I didn't really expect the Foos to call it a day.  Yah it's going to hurt trying to find someone to fill in for Taylor, but earning your living playing in front of big crowds, that's hard to give up.

I also feel like in life there's a lot more bands that try to replace a musician, then there are Robert Plant's. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    Apparently you missed the last part of my post. I never said he would be done playing music. I know that's not an option. He's previously said on the record that if ANY member of the Foos died that the band would be over. While I didn't necessarily buy that I did think that Taylor would be the one guy who was irreplaceable to Dave in the band a large part because of how close they were as friends.
  • Foo is also the income that makes his/their lifestyle possible. 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    ZoSoTim said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    Apparently you missed the last part of my post. I never said he would be done playing music. I know that's not an option. He's previously said on the record that if ANY member of the Foos died that the band would be over. While I didn't necessarily buy that I did think that Taylor would be the one guy who was irreplaceable to Dave in the band a large part because of how close they were as friends.
    Apparently you feel attacked my post. 
    Foo is also the income that makes his/their lifestyle possible. 
    Dave certainly doesn't need to make another dime in his life. He's worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
  • ZoSoTim said:
    Dave certainly doesn't need to make another dime in his life. He's worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
    This is not how it works.
  • aliciavaliciav Posts: 48
    edited September 2022
    (ticket sold)
    Post edited by aliciav on
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Danny Clinch posted this earlier. So strange to see a Foo band photo without Taylor

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Watched the Wembley Show. What a night.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    ZoSoTim said:
    How does it work then?
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    edited September 2022
    Was that Jill who hugged Shane after he finished the song?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2KnD7sfpoA
    Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    I could be wrong but I think that's his mom, Taylor's wife.
    Pap said:
    Was that Jill who hugged Shane after he finished the song?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2KnD7sfpoA
    I could see why you'd think that. looks a lot like her. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

JH6056 said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    How does it work then?
    The $300million or so Dave is worth is not sufficient to keep up his super extravagant lifestyle of 24 carat gold toilets and $100 bill toilet paper so he MUST keep touring constantly or he will end up in a homeless shelter. Come on, man. It's simple math.
    ZoSoTim said:
    JH6056 said:
    ZoSoTim said:
    How does it work then?
    The $300million or so Dave is worth is not sufficient to keep up his super extravagant lifestyle of 24 carat gold toilets and $100 bill toilet paper so he MUST keep touring constantly or he will end up in a homeless shelter. Come on, man. It's simple math.

Did you mean to reply to me? Or to the person who disagreed with you?