I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:
    FR181798 said:
    Didn't buy it but R.E.M Chronic Town Picture Disc. We hear of backlogs and are they clogging up pressing plants with picture discs...sigh

In general, they're not really that great of pressings anyway.  Just another trendy kind of deal. 
    I feel the same way about a lot of record store day releases.  Certainly not all- there have been many fine RSD releases.  But when I go to a record store like The Cave in Folsom and see stacks of un-bought, marked down, mediocre RSD vinyl, I scratch my head and wonder, Why?
    A few years ago ANYTHING put out on RSD sold out.  When I saw the mediocre offerings and ballooning print runs I knew it was ok not to go wait on line at 5am anymore.

RSD still has a chance to do some cool things but small print runs of 2-500 diamonds are gone.

Also since the resell values are nonexistent the flippers aren't bothering to purchase as much.

I didn't know the resale values had gone kaput.  I would imagine there are the occasional ones that still get flipped though, right?  (But maybe not?)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    FR181798 said:
    Didn't buy it but R.E.M Chronic Town Picture Disc. We hear of backlogs and are they clogging up pressing plants with picture discs...sigh

In general, they're not really that great of pressings anyway.  Just another trendy kind of deal. 
    I feel the same way about a lot of record store day releases.  Certainly not all- there have been many fine RSD releases.  But when I go to a record store like The Cave in Folsom and see stacks of un-bought, marked down, mediocre RSD vinyl, I scratch my head and wonder, Why?
    A few years ago ANYTHING put out on RSD sold out.  When I saw the mediocre offerings and ballooning print runs I knew it was ok not to go wait on line at 5am anymore.

RSD still has a chance to do some cool things but small print runs of 2-500 diamonds are gone.

Also since the resell values are nonexistent the flippers aren't bothering to purchase as much.

I didn't know the resale values had gone kaput.  I would imagine there are the occasional ones that still get flipped though, right?  (But maybe not?)
    There are. It’s just not like it was a few years ago.
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    FR181798 said:

There are. It’s just not like it was a few years ago.

I wonder if those that were flipped a lot years ago have retained their value?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    brianlux said:
    FR181798 said:

Judas Priest picture disc, really well done. Clear vinyl single sided. image on the non-groove side showing through the clear....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648

Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    FR181798 said:

Judas Priest picture disc, really well done. Clear vinyl single sided. image on the non-groove side showing through the clear....

I concur. You’ve just got to ditch the impossible plastic jacket it came in. I still need to do that, too. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Another Damned record to add to my Damned record collection but the price was Damned good and its a Damned good record, to boot!

Primary

The Damned – Damned But Not Forgotten

Label:Dojo – DOJOLP 21, Dojo – DO JO LP 21
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Compilation, Lighter Pink Sleeve.
    Released:1985
    Genre:Rock
    Style:New Wave, Goth Rock, Punk

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    brianlux said:
    Another Damned record to add to my Damned record collection but the price was Damned good and its a Damned good record, to boot!

Primary

The Damned – Damned But Not Forgotten

Label:Dojo – DOJOLP 21, Dojo – DO JO LP 21
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Compilation, Lighter Pink Sleeve.
    Released:1985
    Style:New Wave, Goth Rock, Punk

Really been diving into these guys lately. Trying to find a 2018 Drastic Plastic copy of Machine Gun Etiquette. These drastic plastic releases are pressed at QRP. Grabbed a 2022 version of Johnny Thunders So Alone pressing. Can’t wait to spin it 👍
  • qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 771
    brianlux said:
    Finally!  Back in my collection.  A knock out!

Primary

Richard & Linda Thompson – Shoot Out The Lights

Label:Hannibal Records – HNBL 1303
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue
    Released:1986
    Style:Folk Rock

And this marvelous piece of inspiration.  Long live Billy Bragg!
    Primary

Billy Bragg – Help Save The Youth Of America

Label:Elektra – ED 5295
    Format:
    Vinyl, 12", 33 ⅓ RPM, Promo, Stereo, SP Pressing
    Released:1987

Almost forgot to mention (how could I?  It's so good!):
    Primary

Richie Havens – Richie Havens On Stage

Label:Stormy Forest – 2 SFS 6012, Stormy Forest – ST 666
    Format:
    2 x Vinyl, LP, Album, Gatefold
    Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Single
    Released:1972
    Genre:Folk, World, & Country

So nice to see someone other than myself into Billy Bragg. In fact I think this is the first time i've seen BB mentioned on these boards in 21 years! I've got tickets to see him in October, I can't wait.

edited June 2022
    brianlux said:

Primary

Format:

Primary

Format:

Primary

Format:

So nice to see someone other than myself into Billy Bragg. In fact I think this is the first time i've seen BB mentioned on these boards in 21 years! I've got tickets to see him in October, I can't wait.

Nice to hear qontheboard , yes, Billy Bragg is fantastic!How cool that you're going to see him!  If you're a fan, might want to check out  issue 90, the latest copy of the of The Big Takeover:
    Subscribe to The Big Takeover

• FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    I've set out what records I am going to buy the rest of this year (just 6, some of which are preordered)  in my attempt to cut back but that has already started to wobble. 

I've seen the Nevermind 8LP boxset has dropped £25 to around £150gbp here...must resist. If it goes down another £10 they have me.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    Lo2L gold vinyl was delivered today.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    FR181798 said:
    I've set out what records I am going to buy the rest of this year (just 6, some of which are preordered)  in my attempt to cut back but that has already started to wobble. 

I've seen the Nevermind 8LP boxset has dropped £25 to around £150gbp here...must resist. If it goes down another £10 they have me.
    Is that even worth it?
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    FR181798 said:

Is that even worth it?
    Seems to have decent reviews. The collector in me wants it, the sensible me says no. It was demoted from my buying list so a bit of a test for me.
  • qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 771
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Primary

Format:

Primary

Format:

Primary

Format:

Nice to hear qontheboard , yes, Billy Bragg is fantastic!How cool that you're going to see him!  If you're a fan, might want to check out  issue 90, the latest copy of the of The Big Takeover:

Thanks for the heads up Brian!

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Primary

Format:

Primary

Format:

Primary

Format:

Sure thing!  :smile:

• Underneath this smile lies everything...
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Primary

Format:

Primary

Format:

Primary

Format:

Sure thing!  :smile:

Pretty much busted my "allowance" this week, but how could I not?  Demos?  This sounds like a million bucks- love it!!!!
    Primary

Secondary 2 of 4

Blake Babies – Earwig Demos 6-7 March 1988

Label:Chew Bud – CBJC-01
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Limited Edition, Opaque Orange
    Released:2016
    Style:Alternative Rock, Indie Rock

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    brianlux said:
    Pretty much busted my "allowance" this week, but how could I not?  Demos?  This sounds like a million bucks- love it!!!!
    Primary

Secondary 2 of 4

Format:

There is your Hatfield crush again, lol.
    brianlux said:
    Primary

Secondary 2 of 4

Format:

Haha, you bet!
    I had played some of Juliana's Only Everything a while back and it was a bit too much rock for her tastes (yes, we are rather different that way!).  But when I played this new (to me) LP she said, "I really like her voice!"  Cool!

Just arrived today, an early birthday present!   Came home with it and she said, "Happy Birthday".   Wow!
    Primary

The Who – Live At Leeds

Label:Polydor – 0600753698075, Universal Music Group International – 0600753698075
    Series:Mastered At Abbey Road Studios - Half Speed Mastering, Back To Black
    Format:
    3 x Vinyl, LP, Album, Deluxe Edition, Reissue, Remastered, 180 Gram
    Released:Nov 2016
    Style:Blues Rock, Hard Rock

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Primary

Secondary 2 of 4

Format:

Haha, you bet!
    I had played some of Juliana's Only Everything a while back and it was a bit too much rock for her tastes (yes, we are rather different that way!).  But when I played this new (to me) LP she said, "I really like her voice!"  Cool!

Just arrived today, an early birthday present!   Came home with it and she said, "Happy Birthday".   Wow!
    Primary

The Who – Live At Leeds

Label:Polydor – 0600753698075, Universal Music Group International – 0600753698075
    Format:

Ooooo!!! The OG show order!! Wow! I have to pick this up! 
    www.cluthelee.com
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Primary

Secondary 2 of 4

Format:

Haha, you bet!

Primary

The Who – Live At Leeds

Format:

Go for it!   I hear they are getting a bit scarce. 
    I haven't had time to open and clean it (today, I hope), but from what I've read, I'm in for an awesome ride with this one!

• DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630

Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
    Well!  The strangest thing happened with the 3 LP Live at Leeds I mentioned above.  I opened it today and even though it was sealed I always clean new LPs.  SO I opened it to clean it only to discover disc 2 was a Dean Martin record!  Argh!  I wrote back and forth with the seller trying to find a way to resolve the situation.  FInally he said, did you play the record to see if they had put the wrong label on it?  So I played the record and, by gum, that's exactly what happened. So weird!  Also, equally weird is that the label was for a DOL Dean MArtin record.  How a knock off manufacture's DOL label got put on a Polydor Half-Speed Mastering LP out of Abbey Road Studios got on this vinyl is a mystery!

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Primary

Secondary 2 of 4

Format:

Haha, you bet!

Primary

The Who – Live At Leeds

Format:

Go for it!   I hear they are getting a bit scarce. 
    I haven't had time to open and clean it (today, I hope), but from what I've read, I'm in for an awesome ride with this one!
    There’s a shop taking pre-orders for a new pressing. Might just have to go in! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    brianlux said:
    Well!  The strangest thing happened with the 3 LP Live at Leeds I mentioned above.  I opened it today and even though it was sealed I always clean new LPs.  SO I opened it to clean it only to discover disc 2 was a Dean Martin record!  Argh!  I wrote back and forth with the seller trying to find a way to resolve the situation.  FInally he said, did you play the record to see if they had put the wrong label on it?  So I played the record and, by gum, that's exactly what happened. So weird!  Also, equally weird is that the label was for a DOL Dean MArtin record.  How a knock off manufacture's DOL label got put on a Polydor Half-Speed Mastering LP out of Abbey Road Studios got on this vinyl is a mystery!
    Wow, I’m not sure whether I’d be disappointed with is or think this is kinda cool!? 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
    brianlux said:
    Wow, I’m not sure whether I’d be disappointed with is or think this is kinda cool!? 

To be honest, I'm not sure, lol.  Getting this record was a bit of a fiasco.  At this point happy to have the music!

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155