Options

Canada Soccer Thread

Comments

• Options
    AW124797AW124797 Posts: 642
    edited February 2022
    Good Lord. Is that some matrix glitch in the 93rd minute?

Edit: I just rewatched Can-USA highlights. Thought there was a cheeky chip at the end of that game too.
    Post edited by AW124797 on
  • Options
    AW124797 said:
    Good Lord. Is that some matrix glitch in the 93rd minute?

Edit: I just rewatched Can-USA highlights. Thought there was a cheeky chip at the end of that game too.
    Hahaha.. 
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Not classy Costa Rica. Blasting fireworks during the Canadian National anthem is garbage. Nothing more CONCACAF than that. The pitch is beat up from a Coldplay concert.  The ref gives out a garbage yellow and Canada still should have won playing down a man. 

It doesn’t really matter because they are going to thump Jamaica on Sunday in sub-zero temperatures. 
  • Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Admittedly, I am a casual soccer fan, but the flopping really turns me off. When the CR player went down like he was shot after being brushed past, get that garbage out of the game. No need for the “shoulder”, but a total over reaction.

Canada did play really well despite being a man down, a couple of great chances at the end (off the post!!!!)

anyway, hopefully Canada advances this weekend against Jamaica 
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    erebus said:
    Admittedly, I am a casual soccer fan, but the flopping really turns me off. When the CR player went down like he was shot after being brushed past, get that garbage out of the game. No need for the “shoulder”, but a total over reaction.

Welcome to CONCACAF 
  • Options
    edited March 2022

I’m pretty sure CR was a little choked about the rather cold game in Edmonton earlier this year. I went wearing a hoodie, but I could see how it would be pretty cold for a Central American.  
    But this is what Herdman is doing. You have to reverse-CONCACAF these teams. They do everything possible for home field advantage.

As far as flopping, yeah it’s disappointing. But it happens in almost every contact sport. The theatrics and drama of some of these soccer players is next-level admittedly lol. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I’m pretty sure CR was a little choked about the rather cold game in Edmonton earlier this year. I went wearing a hoodie, but I could see how it would be pretty cold for a Central American.  
    But this is what Herdman is doing. You have to reverse-CONCACAF these teams. They do everything possible for home field advantage.

As far as flopping, yeah it’s disappointing. But it happens in almost every contact sport. The theatrics and drama of some of these soccer players is next-level admittedly lol. 
    The women do it way less, which is why I watch them instead.

Also, boobies.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    These racial attacks on Kaye are way out of line. WTF is wrong with people? Canada finally has a world class football club that can compete with any country and keyboard tough guys are throwing around racial slurs. 

Only read this in the news, I don’t have Twitter and have FB with only family and a handful of close friends. Social media is a cesspool. 
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,463
    Today is the day we qualify for world cup! Book it
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:
    Today is the day we qualify for world cup! Book it
    Let’s Fucking Goooooooooo!!!!!   I think the boys are going to throttle Jamaica tonight. Won’t even be close. 🇨🇦 ⚽️ 🥅 
  • Options
    Congrats fellas. 
  • Options
    BOOM!! 
    Love it…. should have been 10-0. This team is going to surprise the world in Qatar.
  • Options
    Crushed he Jamaicans. I agree, think we gonna make some noise at the world cup
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:

Going to be tough coming out of most likely pot 4.
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:
    BLACK35 said:

Going to be tough coming out of most likely pot 4.
    It’s the World Cup. It’s always going to be tough. Canada’s team speed is going to cause other squads some problems. They will have Davies back. 
    It’s going to be a blast. 
  • Options
    Besides, I think they win the octagon and rise in the world rankings, sliding into Pot 3. They are on that bubble right now. The game against Panama has some significance. I predict a hard fought road win. 
  • Options
    AW124797AW124797 Posts: 642
    Congratulations, Canada! Team is playing some good football.  Draw on Friday. 
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with that draw. Could have been much worse. Something to look forward to! 
  • Options
    In case you were wondering how Canada wins the World Cup… it’s laid out nicely here: 
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4zHm43tyTac
  • Options
    Anyone have an opinion on the internet and government backlash on playing Iran in a pre-tournament warm up game? I was particularly disappointed in the PM for weighing in publicly on the decision, especially when he so averse to publicly discussing his own errors in judgement through public discourse. JT is a politician and they jump at every opportunity to make themselves “look good”.  He could (should) have discussed the matter privately with Canada Soccer. 

Just when the sport in this country is set to reach new heights of success and popularity in the men’s game (hopefully approaching similar levels of our women’s teams) the PM joins in on a social media attack regarding a world class (Iran is ranked 21st) warm up for Canada’s first World Cup is 36 years. 

Instead, we get Panama and two other CONCACAF friendlies against middling opponents. I’m not releasing Soccer Canada of complete blame here, but they were focussed on finding a quality opponent to play prior to the event. Someone in the room should have spoken up and said “I understand we want to play a quality team, but this country shot down a plane with 55 Canadians on it in recent memory. The optics of us giving them $400,000 to play us might cause problems”. 

Having said that, the lack of leadership displayed by the PM in this instance was insulting to the team. Would there be the same backlash if Canada played Russia in a hockey game? I highly doubt it.  Pretty appalling overall. 

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited June 2022
    I'm not a soccer fan at all, but my best friend's soccer playing son is going to be a ball boy in the Canada-Panama game on Sunday, so I'm going to the game at BC Place. I may not like soccer, but all live sports events are super fun, so it should be a good time!
    BTW, that same friend knows an Iranian who is 100% happy that Canada stopped Iran from coming to play. As an Iranian immigrant, and absolutely agrees with the decision and the reasons the politicians had. He said that Iran is terrible, that how they treat women is terrible, and any sanction against them is a good sanction. He was actually going to go and protest against the Iranian team if they had been allowed to come. FWIW.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm not a soccer fan at all, but my best friend's soccer playing son is going to be a ball boy in the Canada-Panama game on Sunday, so I'm going to the game at BC Place. I may not like soccer, but all live sports events are super fun, so it should be a good time!
    BTW, that same friend knows an Iranian who is 100% happy that Canada stopped Iran from coming to play. As an Iranian immigrant, and absolutely agrees with the decision and the reasons the politicians had. He said that Iran is terrible, that how they treat women is terrible, and any sanction against them is a good sanction. He was actually going to go and protest against the Iranian team if they had been allowed to come. FWIW.
    It is a blast! I went to Canada vs Costs Rica in Edmonton and it was amazing. Patriotic love. 

That aside, I respect your friends point of view. There is no doubt Iran is not a leader in civil rights and obviously an oppressive regime.
    However, this country is still going to the World Cup. FIFA hasn’t banned them, and yes I am aware of the corruption of FIFA. Canada is a part of FIFA. Are we all then guilty by association? 

Just to be clear, I support the decision to not play the game. I mentioned in my post that the decision to play Iran was short-sighted, although I can understand the mistake. They corrected it, but did it require all the backlash and negativity? I just don’t agree with politicians doing hot takes on the news or social media regarding sporting events. It was like he was the judge, jury and executioner. Handled in a more dignified approach, I am sure Canada Soccer would look at their internal processes to make improvements in decisions on friendly opponents in the future. Trudeau sure had a lot to say on this, but still says nothing when his government makes an error (e.g WE charity scandal) 

I expect more out of our leaders than to publicly bitch slap a non-profit organization that uses sport to bring people together. To get kids away from video games and on the pitch. I firmly believe this should have been handled in a more dignified approach. Firstly, I feel for all of those who work hard in the organization. Mostly, I’m just a little disappointed this took the focus for casual observers away from what was an incredible accomplishment by these young men. Winning CONCACAF over the US and Mexico is something I never thought I would see. Never mind that, just getting a qualifying spot without the benefit of a CONCACAF country hosting the event (automatic berth) was also something that seemed so out of reach all of my life, until last year. 

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Well then.... the fucking game got cancelled 2 hours before it was supposed to start, because of a players pay dispute (I side with the players). Huge bummer... We were already downtown along with many thousands of others. Businesses got screwed, I talked to many who came out from several hours drive away. Boooo. While I side with the players, I think it was super SHITTY of all involved to not cancel this morning instead of so last minute, after so much had already been spent, food was prepared, staff were all there, etc. Massive losses financially because they waited so late. Anyway, not a big deal for me as I live close and I was happy to hang with my friends at the restaurant we met at. I felt terrible for my friend's kid though, who was supposed to be a ball retriever. He was SO stoked, and they were all in the stadium and covid tested and everything when the word came down. I never saw such a depressed 13 year old in my life!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well then.... the fucking game got cancelled 2 hours before it was supposed to start, because of a players pay dispute (I side with the players). Huge bummer... We were already downtown along with many thousands of others. Businesses got screwed, I talked to many who came out from several hours drive away. Boooo. While I side with the players, I think it was super SHITTY of all involved to not cancel this morning instead of so last minute, after so much had already been spent, food was prepared, staff were all there, etc. Massive losses financially because they waited so late. Anyway, not a big deal for me as I live close and I was happy to hang with my friends at the restaurant we met at. I felt terrible for my friend's kid though, who was supposed to be a ball retriever. He was SO stoked, and they were all in the stadium and covid tested and everything when the word came down. I never saw such a depressed 13 year old in my life!
    Feel terrible for all involved. 

The golden age of Canadian soccer and it feels like it’s one giant fuck up. Really saddens me. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Less than a week! Can’t wait for the game against Belgium. Tough test but the boys will be ready…. time to shock the world like they did to CONCACAF.
  • Options
    Very pumped! Going in on a winning note is a bonus. I'm hoping for a shocking win or tie against Belgium and like you said, time to shock the world! Go Canada Go!!!
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:
    Very pumped! Going in on a winning note is a bonus. I'm hoping for a shocking win or tie against Belgium and like you said, time to shock the world! Go Canada Go!!!
    It’s so exciting. This team has charisma, good mix of young stars and grizzled vets. I’m with you, they could catch Belgium off guard. The speed that they play may surprise them: the stage isn’t too big. LFG!!

I think Cyle Larin is going to have a tournament. 
  • Options
    Man, they have been the far better squad, yet are down 1-0. LFG!!!
  • Options
    Ugh. 

How do you feel? I mean, they were better than the #2 team in the world but still lost. Just lacking class with their play in the box. Making passes when they should shoot and vice versa. 

They certainly showed the world they belong and aren’t going anywhere anytime soon.
  • Options
    I didn't get to watch game yesterday due to being at work. But watched whatever highlites and replays that I could. Looks like lots of great opportunities and a great effort by our men, just fell short. Really sucks and it looks like we should or deserved a better fate. Can't believe Davies missed that penalty kick, that could have changed the whole way rest of game was played.
    I'll be tuning in Saturday and were going to get the win. Let's Go Canada! I still believe!
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2