Options

Canada Soccer Thread

I think it is about time we start talking about Canadian soccer folks! On the heels of the Olympic gold by the women in Tokyo, the men’s team just defeated Mexico for the first time in over 20 years. 
I travelled up to Edmonton to see the 1-0 victory over Costa Rica. When David scored the roar was deafening at Commonwealth Stadium. This team is going to the World Cup in Qatar next year. They are a strong team.  Some may call the win over Mexico an upset, but I expected them to win. Herdman is doing a fantastic job with this squad. 

So whaddya think fellow Canadian soccer fans? Getting pumped? Let’s discuss!! 

Comments

• Options
    Big win in Honduras, the historical house of horrors. What a world class goal by David. 
    Next up… a win over the Americans on home soil. 
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,463
    Big win in Honduras, the historical house of horrors. What a world class goal by David. 
    Next up… a win over the Americans on home soil. 
    You know it, pretty rough game! Bring on USA
    We going to World Cup this year!
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited January 2022
    Getting the lead was huge…. looking for a better 2nd half from Canada
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Go Canada…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

The boys have arrived…. Just awesome….. 
  • Options

The boys have arrived…. Just awesome….. 
    congrats Canada..
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Qatar is almost a lock now.  Never thought I’d see it again…. So exciting 
  • Options
    Qatar is almost a lock now.  Never thought I’d see it again…. So exciting 
    It has.  They are building on the momentum from ladies soccer…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Our American friends are pretty quiet over on the US Soccer thread…. I’m thinking they are trying to comprehend what has happened and where the hell this Canadian team came from 😂. Awesome
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/243583/u-s-soccer-thread#latest
  • Options
  • Options
    No need for that.  Win or lose with class.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    edited January 2022
    Our American friends are pretty quiet over on the US Soccer thread…. I’m thinking they are trying to comprehend what has happened and where the hell this Canadian team came from 😂. Awesome
    Lively thread you got going here!
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    Lot more lively than that other thread post-game.  Guess that is what happens when another contender comes (seemingly) out of nowhere to wreck the party.
  • Options
    8 out of a possible 12 points against the #11 and #14 teams in the world according to the FIFA world rankings. Not only are we going to Qatar, this team is going to make some noise. 
  • Options
    8 out of a possible 12 points against the #11 and #14 teams in the world according to the FIFA world rankings. Not only are we going to Qatar, this team is going to make some noise. 
    As a small northern country I feel we hold our own internationally…it seems we always finish higher than we should at most Olympics recently.  Thanks to Harper “own the podium.” Policy.  I feel mens soccer rising is a byproduct of the success of ladies..
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    As a small northern country I feel we hold our own internationally…it seems we always finish higher than we should at most Olympics recently.  Thanks to Harper “own the podium.” Policy.  I feel mens soccer rising is a byproduct of the success of ladies..
    Perhaps, but only that the coach that propelled the ladies to greatness now coaches the men’s team. The talent is because of the improved system in Canada. 
    When I was 14 in southern British Columbia, I had nowhere to play the next year. This was in 1988. The developmental system now in place is far superior and the real reason bother programs are so successful. 
  • Options
    Perhaps, but only that the coach that propelled the ladies to greatness now coaches the men’s team. The talent is because of the improved system in Canada. 
    When I was 14 in southern British Columbia, I had nowhere to play the next year. This was in 1988. The developmental system now in place is far superior and the real reason bother programs are so successful. 
    Our development  system in soccer is inadequate.  Sorry to disappoint you.  One thing I learned from watching ladies soccer is how difficult it is to gain top notch coaching in Canada.  It takes money to build top ranked programs…which is why own the podium is such a successful program.  It’s great that they get to go to World Cup…But that’s likely where it ends.  We are no where at the same level of most of the rest of world…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Our development  system in soccer is inadequate.  Sorry to disappoint you.  One thing I learned from watching ladies soccer is how difficult it is to gain top notch coaching in Canada.  It takes money to build top ranked programs…which is why own the podium is such a successful program.  It’s great that they get to go to World Cup…But that’s likely where it ends.  We are no where at the same level of most of the rest of world…
    I didn’t say they would win the World Cup, lol. I said they would make some noise. 
    I also didn’t say the developmental system was fantastic, I said it was superior.  A helluva lot better than it was 30 years ago.

I don’t even know why I am bothering to argue with you. I’m happy they won, happy they are going to the dance and this will only help the program grow and be more successful. It’s all a good news story to me. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    It was just conservation.  Enjoy your thread…it will be lonely.  Other me…it appears no one is remotely interested in canadian soccer…
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited February 2022
    It was just conservation.  Enjoy your thread…it will be lonely.  Other me…it appears no one is remotely interested in canadian soccer…
    “Just conversation”.  The biggest win in Canadian soccer for 28+ years, I’m celebrating and you are a wet blanket. Perhaps no one is “remotely interested” in Canadian soccer. I’m cool with it. 
    I’ll continue to limp this little thread along until the team captures this nation’s attention. It’s going to be electric.  
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    You can't not be impressed with what the Canadian soccer program has done over the past few years. Hope they are able to make a little noise in Qatar...just not at the expense of the USA. 

• Options
    Jumb0 said:
    You can't not be impressed with what the Canadian soccer program has done over the past few years. Hope they are able to make a little noise in Qatar...just not at the expense of the USA. 

Hahaha!! Gotcha.  Well maybe they will both make some noise. That would be wild if they somehow ended up in the same tournament draw. 
  • Options
    AW124797AW124797 Posts: 642
    Great team effort on Sunday. Congratulations. Can't wait to see them in Qatar.
  • Options
    Absolutely! They were missing some key players and pulled out the win. I am most impressed with the depth of the squad and Herdman’s strategies and player deployment decisions are working. So many quality players and the transition game is so exciting to watch. 
  • Options
    AW124797AW124797 Posts: 642
    And will only get better. Young team. Tricky trip to El Salvador tonight.
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    AW124797 said:

Maybe not. There are some rumors going around that El Salvador players will boycott stating that the President of their federation has been "disrespectful, distracting and broken promises" 
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,463
    Let's get the win tonight and we can possibly clinch our ticket to world cup. GO CANADA GO!!
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:
    AW124797 said:

Maybe not. There are some rumors going around that El Salvador players will boycott stating that the President of their federation has been "disrespectful, distracting and broken promises" 
    I just saw that they are playing… not sure if they are happy though. Had something to do with bonuses. 
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:
    Let's get the win tonight and we can possibly clinch our ticket to world cup. GO CANADA GO!!
    Fo Sho!!!! Let’s Go CanMNT!!!!! 
  • Options
    That Atiba Hutchison goal was wild… it’s like the hockey gods were shining on the CanMNT lol.

And… Jonathan David is ridiculous. Alphonso Davies is the best player in CONCACAF…. David may be second.