~ The Kitty Thread!! ~ Take 2!

Comments

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    Thanks folks 

Hedo, Chains is doing fine… we’re giving her a ridiculous amount of attention, and she’s always thrived off that, so she’s good. I think she knew Alice wasn’t coming back or knew SOMETHING was different… she saw the condition she was in, and was in a weird mood when we took Alice out for the last time. She didn’t freak out & hide at the sight of the carrier, which is a first… it was weird. But she’s been fine since then which has been huge… if she was depressed & moping around the house crying… idk what we would have done, it would have made the last two weeks a lot harder, we’re grateful to have her in good spirits, 

& you’re spot on about owning a cat or dog… the real price comes on the back end when you say goodbye. (no disrespect to other animal owners, I just can’t speak for any other experience).

I definitely had a special bond with that animal… one my wife was vocally jealous of.   :D I’ll miss that bond, but we’ll be ok. 

Thanks again folks. 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    hedonist said:
    George turns 12 today :smiley:

Happy Birthday, George - you handsome devil.

Happy birthday, George!

Give him an extra scritch behind the ears for me.

We had to put our Alice down two weeks ago... we think she had a stroke... whatever happened, she wasn't going to recover. She's always had health issues, and we knew she wouldn't reach old age, but we still hoped for more time. She was only 9 or so, we adopted them 6+ years ago. 

She was the sweetest thing on the planet & only wanted to be in your lap or otherwise cuddled up next to you (& food... LOTS of food). It was mostly dudes too... took her months to sit in my wife's lap, but we had a guy in once to do an energy audit & she was in his lap before he could get his computer opened up... little hussy  :D 

The 4:00 AM hour was lonely AF the first few days, as she would routinely snuggle up under my arm in bed before my alarm would go off. Waking up to nothing those first couple of mornings sucked, but that's part of the deal. 

We know we did the right thing, but that doesn't help the void that's there every time I sit or lie down... only time will help that. We also still have Chains, thank goodness... if Alice was our only cat, our house would be a pretty depressing place these last couple of weeks. But our little screwball tortie keeps us entertained.

If heaven exists, Alice is there, & no one is making her get up from their lap. 

I am so sorry to hear about Alice. She was a cutie. It is never easy - even when you know you are doing the right thing. How is Chains doing?

GlowGirl said:
    Happy birthday, George!

Give him an extra scritch behind the ears for me.

We had to put our Alice down two weeks ago... we think she had a stroke... whatever happened, she wasn't going to recover. She's always had health issues, and we knew she wouldn't reach old age, but we still hoped for more time. She was only 9 or so, we adopted them 6+ years ago. 

She was the sweetest thing on the planet & only wanted to be in your lap or otherwise cuddled up next to you (& food... LOTS of food). It was mostly dudes too... took her months to sit in my wife's lap, but we had a guy in once to do an energy audit & she was in his lap before he could get his computer opened up... little hussy  :D 

The 4:00 AM hour was lonely AF the first few days, as she would routinely snuggle up under my arm in bed before my alarm would go off. Waking up to nothing those first couple of mornings sucked, but that's part of the deal. 

We know we did the right thing, but that doesn't help the void that's there every time I sit or lie down... only time will help that. We also still have Chains, thank goodness... if Alice was our only cat, our house would be a pretty depressing place these last couple of weeks. But our little screwball tortie keeps us entertained.

If heaven exists, Alice is there, & no one is making her get up from their lap. 

I am so sorry to hear about Alice. She was a cutie. It is never easy - even when you know you are doing the right thing. How is Chains doing?

Thanks gg, Chains is good… handled it the best of all three of us in the immediate days that followed.  :D

I gave a more detailed response to Hedo up above. 

It was two weeks ago, so the shock has worn off, we’re ok. Thanks again. 

Tristan enjoying a little afternoon ‘nip. 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    That reminds me — Georgie is overdue for some good nip time!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    GlowGirl said:

ummmm, the pink thing looks a lot like..... nevermind :wink:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Kyra sometimes likes to sleep with one paw over her face 😺 not too much news on Kyra and Kia getting along. Although they’ve been getting “closer” sometimes.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    hedonist said:
    Especially since it was just his birthday.

GlowGirl said:

ummmm, the pink thing looks a lot like..... nevermind :wink:
    Sometimes a catnip filled pink cigar is just a catnip filled pink cigar :)

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    GlowGirl said:
    hedonist said:

It’s not my birthday, but any day is a good day for nip time. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    GlowGirl said:
    hedonist said:

It’s not my birthday, but any day is a good day for nip time. 
    Spoken like a true nip lover. 
    edited June 2022
    Kyra sometimes likes to sleep with one paw over her face 😺 not too much news on Kyra and Kia getting along. Although they’ve been getting “closer” sometimes.

Cute. I love when they cover their faces. If the two of them are not ripping each other apart, then there is a chance for them to get closer. But at least they don't fight.

Post edited by GlowGirl on

Rough day for her, huh. 
    Snot easy being Chains. 

Aww! Is she doing ok after losing her friend. Are you?
    GlowGirl said:

Aww! Is she doing ok after losing her friend. Are you?
    Yeah, we’re good, thanks. It’s been an adjustment for sure, but we're doing ok. We've been putting a lot of attention on this one, and she's a little diva who eats it up, so it's working out ok. 

Appreciate you asking. 

Having a neighbor who works for the MSPCA doesn’t suck. She asked us to come over today and socialize w/ these little dudes she’s been fostering for the last week. There’s a dog on the other side of the gate in the 2nd picture…. This little 7 week old kitten went right up to the gate to hiss at the dog. Love it.  :D

Kittens!
    So cute. How are you keeping yourself from. It just scooping one up and bringing it home. 
    GlowGirl said:
    So cute. How are you keeping yourself from. It just scooping one up and bringing it home. 
    Their little dagger claws for one...  :D 

The mrs & i have a week & a half long vacation planned late in July, so we won't be making any additions to the house before that. We also need to keep Chains in mind, and make sure we bring in a cat that's compatible w/ her. Her & Alice used to wrestle a lot & sleep together as well; I know there's a lot Chains 'll be missing out on in her absence, but we also need to make sure it's the right fit, and that she's comfortable. We might be over thinking it, but I would rather that than make her miserable by bringing in the wrong cat. (she may surprise us though... I've been pleasantly surprised w/ how well she's handling life post-Alice) 

Also, one thing we have determined is that we probably aren't going the kitten route, we'll want a slightly older cat whose personality & temperament is a little more established, if that makes sense. 
    That totally makes sense. I did the same thing after my last cat passed. I gave my other cat a few months before bringing in a new kitty. Young kittens are a lot of work and they are a ball of energy. So, I got an older kitten. She was about 7 months old. I think that worked out better. I am glad that Chains is doing ok. Have fun on your vacation. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    :)

“Can I help you guys with something”
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    “Belly scratches now, please.”
    She really fucked up her lip liner this morning. Tsk.

I think we’re gonna need a bigger box.