Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    Live golf betting (just on who wins the next hole) is a shit ton of fun. I don't know why I don't do that more often. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,626
    They had some good debates on Golf Channel Live From this week.  One was why the hell there is no dominant player anymore.   

I think you saw inexperience at play yesterday.  They all tightened up throughout the day other than JT.  I didn't necessarily want Periera to win, but I didn't want to see him lose on a double where he puts the ball in the creek and then over chips the green when he had a chance to make the playoff.  It's just nerves.  Feel bad for the guy.  
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,449
    They had some good debates on Golf Channel Live From this week.  One was why the hell there is no dominant player anymore.   

too much money?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529
    Wobbie said:

too much money?
    Some of the arguments amongst them: 

1) They don’t play enough tournaments.  They don’t know how to grind.

2) Too much money so complacent.

3) changing the swing that got them where they are

4) the modern swing takes a toll on them physically and tougher to play as often.
  • Options
    ^^^ as much as I dislike tiger, I gotta admit he had a sustained run that none of the young guns have come close to. koepka, spieth, rory, etc….none turned out to be “the one.”

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    ^^^ as much as I dislike tiger, I gotta admit he had a sustained run that none of the young guns have come close to. koepka, spieth, rory, etc….none turned out to be “the one.”
    I think what we are seeing these last two majors is showing why he is either the best or second best of all time.  He clearly is in great pain yet can still make two cuts playing against the world's best.  If not for that car crash I could see him winning a few more majors.  Pretty safe to say he is done now though.  Won't win again.   Will make cuts.  Won't win.  
  • Options
    I'll tell you what, though...Rory is a god damned monster on major Sundays......so long as he's just about out of contention.

God damn it. I had a decent amount of $ on him. Thought it was his tournament after the first round. What is his deal??
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    Wobbie said:
    Yep.  There's just never going to be another Tiger.  Especially with how deep the talent pool is these days.  Those 3 guys showed signs of it but it's just so damn hard to keep winning majors.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Tiger is the best ever.  He didn't win his first major until 10 years after Jack won his last, so don't think it's a huge surprise the next best ever candidate may not be active.

While I don't think Rory will accomplish anything crazy in his career outside of what he's done, he is younger than Phil was when he won his first.

I think we have a bunch of guys that will end up with 3-5 or so, which does show how deep things are
  • Options
    Oh my goodness. DJ bailed.
  • Options
    And just an absolutely horrendous group of golfers outside of him.  Goodness.
  • Options
    Yeah, basically the Euro tour. Tons of money up for grabs though so can't blame them.  DJ probably thinks he can make 4x what he gets from the PJ tour with less playing, and I doubt he loses too much in the way of endorsements.
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see if the PGA Tour blinks but so far only losing DJ is a non-event. The guy wins a tourney a year but I can't imagine moves the needle for the fans or sponsors.  Don't get me wrong, he is a big star in golf but I don't hear his name much these days (except for his good 3 tourney stretch a year).  
  • Options
    They must have doubled their offer to DJ.  That one is a shocker.  Only other surprising name on there is Talor Gooch...if PGA Tour can legally ban all these guys that's a huge risk he's taking there.
  • Options
    Was Kevin Na someone that was expected to join that tour?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Oh yeah.  He has been wearing a Golf Saudi logo for the past few months.

Apparently DJ got $125M.  Crazy.
  • Options
    Oh yeah.  He has been wearing a Golf Saudi logo for the past few months.

Apparently DJ got $125M.  Crazy.
    And we wonder why there is inflation.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    Why is Mickelson a pariah now yet DJ can be a part of this and I haven't heard any backlash? Was it basically Phil's comments regarding it all? In particular, anti-PGA Tour comments? 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    Why is Mickelson a pariah now yet DJ can be a part of this and I haven't heard any backlash? Was it basically Phil's comments regarding it all? In particular, anti-PGA Tour comments? 
    Probably stating that they murder gay people but he was going to play anyway to stick it to the PGA.

Not a good look.

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    eddiec said:
    Probably stating that they murder gay people but he was going to play anyway to stick it to the PGA.

Not a good look.
    It's not a good look. But it's not like DJ or Norman or anyone else involved isn't aware of that sort of stuff. They just didn't say it. 

Phil should just acknowledge that he's a greedy bastard, give a fake apology, and get back on the course. It's not like he's banned or anything.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    eddiec said:

Not a good look.
    It's not a good look. But it's not like DJ or Norman or anyone else involved isn't aware of that sort of stuff. They just didn't say it. 

Phil should just acknowledge that he's a greedy bastard, give a fake apology, and get back on the course. It's not like he's banned or anything.

I think he's suspended by the PGA- one of their internal jobs. Like when DJ was suspended for coke.

He's also going through some major personal issues with gambling. Who knows where his head is at.
  • Options
    DJ is a boring golf personality.  Nobody really cares about DJ and what he does. If he wasn’t married to Paulina his social media presence would be even less.  He plays well in a few tournaments a year which is par for the course these days. 

Phil is a personality and a polarizing figure.  People actually care more about what he does and be willing to comment on it.

• Options
    matsuyama DQ’d for something really picky. who ratted him out?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Oh no! Not Kevin Na!  The fact that he addressed it to his "fan" is just perfect

• Options
    Too bad women’s open was a blowout but still better product than PGA where it is all about $$$ these days.
  • Options
    Too bad women’s open was a blowout but still better product than PGA where it is all about $$$ these days.
    Uhh the winner got $1.8M.  Every tour is about $$$.
  • Options
    Uhh the winner got $1.8M.  Every tour is about $$$.
    For the US Open the purse was increased, but you don't have all this LIV b.s. and people complaining about how much money they make when they are flying around in private jets.  
  • Options
    So Phil and Rickie sound to be bouncing too.  No shock with Rickie, looks like he was going to need to find a place to play anyway.  Goodness though, Phil, really going through with it and playing the twilight of his career on YouTube.

Will he officially be out on all things Ryder Cup?  Gotta figure yes, right?

• Options
    I gotta think Phil is gonna get $100 million plus for this.  Take a long time to make that on the PGA tour and would be impossible.  He probably figured he could do LIV for five years, then get in the booth, and all the while keep his endorsements.  He could have too if he kept his mouth shut.
  • Options
    I was wondering how to watch this. So it's not going to be on any tv channels?
    chinese-happy.jpg