Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    PJ_Soul said:
    my favourite part: 

He says it's unclear what the group was actually protesting

shocking. do these folks EVER know what they're so angry about?
    Doesn’t seem any attempt was made to gain any understanding, that might have garnered some information. But why dialogue when it’s so easy to slander.
    Are you suggesting they should have tried to gain understanding and garner information from and dialogue with a mob screaming racist slurs at them?

First, I pointed out the only proof of racist slurs is a member of the Liberals, so I take their word with more than a few grains of salt (maybe a whole silo, lol).

If we ever want to move forward from this hardening of stances, BOTH sides need to start listening. Unless you’re suggesting I ignore the other side because I get dismissed as a Nazi because I openly support the Conservatives?
    one of them was holding a noose. that can't really be interpreted any other way, can it?

what liberal said anything racist? I didn't see your post about that. 
    I’m fine with hanging traitors, and don’t see the noose as racist in this context. I realize many (probably most) won’t see even the possibility of Trudeau being a traitor, let’s call a spade (the noose) a shovel (method of execution) when that’s what it is (probably the wrong wording to use, but I feel it fits).

I don’t believe I said the Liberal supporters were making racist comments, but rather that it was only Liberals asserting racist comments were made by the counter-protesters. And as I said, anyone associated with the Liberals making such claims I’ll take with more than a few grains of salt until shown proof. Thus far I’ve only been able to find the one clip that shows no racism, though I did enjoy the footage I stumbled on of Trudeau being heckled by FN protesters at his speech yesterday.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    I’ve seen ZERO assertions of violence by this group and if that’s considered violence these days we really are beyond hope. Oh yeah, horn are tools of terror now, so I guess we really are fucked.

Just for clarity, I have difficulty with dismissing my fellow humans out of hand for any reason. If you refuse to engage, then never will there be change.

PJ_Soul said:
    my favourite part: 

He says it's unclear what the group was actually protesting

shocking. do these folks EVER know what they're so angry about?
    Doesn’t seem any attempt was made to gain any understanding, that might have garnered some information. But why dialogue when it’s so easy to slander.
    Are you suggesting they should have tried to gain understanding and garner information from and dialogue with a mob screaming racist slurs at them?

It just occurred to me (sorry it didn’t in my initial response) that isn’t that exactly what a news reporter’s job is?

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I thought you were referring to those at the fundraiser, not the journalists. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    Call him whatever you want...  and a lot of it is earned... but I would rather Trudeau in power for another ten years than anything these 'hockey stick flag bearer - freedom convoy' morons want.   He is in my opinion the lesser of two evils in this context. And I openly admit that he is a corrupt, greasy liar. 

I encourage them all to continue supporting and voting for the PPC.  Maybe after the ten - twenty years of constantly losing elections, the tiny light bulb in their head will illuminate and they'll realize that they are in fact a minority in this country. 

"You are entitled to your say, not your way." - Jason Kenney 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
    I’ve seen ZERO assertions of violence by this group and if that’s considered violence these days we really are beyond hope. Oh yeah, horn are tools of terror now, so I guess we really are fucked.

Just for clarity, I have difficulty with dismissing my fellow humans out of hand for any reason. If you refuse to engage, then never will there be change.
    holding a gallows/noose that says "trudeau treason" isn't violent imagery to you? everyone seemed to agree that "hang mike pence" was pretty damn violent. These losers are doing the same shit. If you want to be associated with Trumpism, that's your call. 

I don't recall seeing anyone saying horns are "tools of terror", only that it was incredibly disruptive to those that lived in the vicinity. People who were trying to live their lives. Have you ever gone days without a good sleep? It really is detrimental to mental health. Protesting day and night in a residential neighbourhood is NOT peaceful protesting. Disturbing the peace is a criminal offense under our criminal code. 

Honestly Darth, it seems your hatred of JT is so far beyond, you can't see even the smallest issue with the modes with which his detractors employ. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

There is a lot of misconceptions about the freedom convoy etc... and while this is just my opinion... feel free to fact check: 

The Freedom Convoy was not a protest. And as such, it was not a protected right under the Charter nor was it democratic in any way. 

The leaders of this Convoy are FUBAR. Amongst them, racist bigots who promote violence. To be clear about that... we're not talking about a couple yahoos who showed up to Ottawa... these were the people who organized it and led it. 

The offspring of this shit-tree are the branches you now see showing up to basically accost Trudeau and Singh. And while a small amount of people see this as patriotic... I see it as idiotic and the exact opposite of good Canadian behaviour. 

How did this all happen?  I don't recall this blatant and unrelenting hatred of Trudeau after the Aga Khan scandal, or the SNC Lavalin scandal... which tells me the same people who hate him now quite simply weren't paying attention before.  This all happened and was born out of a worldwide pandemic that... and sorry if this doesn't fit people's narratives.. Trudeau did not cause.  The measures he took and supported were in line with every 1st world nation except Sweden.  We were and still are one of the freest nations on planet earth.  We enjoy many liberties that majority of countries in the world do not.  Liberties such as parking a large truck that suggests "Fuck Trudeau" right in front of the man's workplace for three weeks. If you cannot come to terms with plain and obvious truth and plain and obvious facts....  then leave.  Go live in a better country if you think our leader is a dictator and you think our country is oppressive. Good luck out there. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    I'll disagree with you slightly, Parksy, on a couple things. I understand the sentiment, but I recall Republicans shouting "don't like it, then leave" at people who were aghast that Trump was elected. I didn't really agree with that. I see it as kind of a "bad winner" attitude. While I don't care to open a dialogue with most of these truckers, I do think it's important to keep it open to people who don't agree with me politically. Until I deem it fruitless, of course. 

On our trip to Seattle, we stayed with friends in Vancouver for a few days. Both lawyers. We were having drinks with them and some of their friends and he launched into "ANYONE BUT TRUDEAU" rant and kept repeating it. Now, I had a few whiskeys by this point, but I know that no matter how right I (think I) am, I can't argue with a seasoned lawyer, especially if I'm even slightly impaired, so I just sat there and smiled and shrugged my shoulders. Let him outrage. He kept blathering on about the emergencies act hasn't been used in however long, the legalities and the embarassment of him being our PM (anyone dude? really ANYONE? Pierre? I don't think he really meant "anyone"). Like that's the only measurement we should use. One of his friends at the table actually told stories of working with him in his early years (again, the details are foggy due to the vacation whiskeys). She was in attendance at one of his blackface parties (the halloween party where he dressed as Aladdin). 

I found it interesting but I just don't understand the hate the man gets. I've said before, if someone better comes along, regardless of party, I'll vote for them. But as it stands right now, he still gets my vote. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I'll disagree with you slightly, Parksy, on a couple things. I understand the sentiment, but I recall Republicans shouting "don't like it, then leave" at people who were aghast that Trump was elected. I didn't really agree with that. I see it as kind of a "bad winner" attitude. While I don't care to open a dialogue with most of these truckers, I do think it's important to keep it open to people who don't agree with me politically. Until I deem it fruitless, of course. 

On our trip to Seattle, we stayed with friends in Vancouver for a few days. Both lawyers. We were having drinks with them and some of their friends and he launched into "ANYONE BUT TRUDEAU" rant and kept repeating it. Now, I had a few whiskeys by this point, but I know that no matter how right I (think I) am, I can't argue with a seasoned lawyer, especially if I'm even slightly impaired, so I just sat there and smiled and shrugged my shoulders. Let him outrage. He kept blathering on about the emergencies act hasn't been used in however long, the legalities and the embarassment of him being our PM (anyone dude? really ANYONE? Pierre? I don't think he really meant "anyone"). Like that's the only measurement we should use. One of his friends at the table actually told stories of working with him in his early years (again, the details are foggy due to the vacation whiskeys). She was in attendance at one of his blackface parties (the halloween party where he dressed as Aladdin). 

I found it interesting but I just don't understand the hate the man gets. I've said before, if someone better comes along, regardless of party, I'll vote for them. But as it stands right now, he still gets my vote. 
    Agreed.  For me the folks who ought to just leave are the ones who went to Ottawa with a list of demands and cited that they were going to stay until those demands were met.  I'm very happy they were not violent (Jan 6th) however.... those who have such a skewed view of what democracy is... they are likely best served seeing what happens in other countries.  If this occupation occurred 2-3 years after an election, I would probably be more understanding... but this all took place after an election... to me it's just so disrespectful to those who voted against the things they believe in.   They were not satisfied with their say... they wanted their way. Take that attitude somewhere else is my thing. :) 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

Same. They were screaming at the volunteers, not journalists. But it seems to me that the journalists tried to figure out wtf they are really protesting, and they have no idea. That has been the case with these trucker convoy fools for months now. They're just driving around not really knowing wtf they are protesting... they just know they're protesting something, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

Same. They were screaming at the volunteers, not journalists. But it seems to me that the journalists tried to figure out wtf they are really protesting, and they have no idea. That has been the case with these trucker convoy fools for months now. They're just driving around not really knowing wtf they are protesting... they just know they're protesting something, lol.
    I watched an interview from a journalist at this event in Surrey and he said he had to basically hide the fact that he was a journalist because others were getting harassed and called 'pretty nasty names.' 

Before ANYONE claims that the fellow is soft, or exaggerating here...  I watched live coverage from Vaughn Mills before the shit show went to Ottawa and so many people were harassing the cameraman.  They weren't even interviewing people, just walking around filming the scene and folks were non-stop yelling at them: "Fake news!" "Show the truth!"  "You won't show the truth!"  

It's embarrassing that Canadians are treating people like this. 

To me... FWIW... these are people who honestly don't have a clue... they're bored and they've drank the Fox News kool-aid way too much. They are the by-product of having too much time, too much Facebook and too much Tucker Carlson. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    edited May 2022

holding a gallows/noose that says "trudeau treason" isn't violent imagery to you? everyone seemed to agree that "hang mike pence" was pretty damn violent. These losers are doing the same shit. If you want to be associated with Trumpism, that's your call. 

I don't recall seeing anyone saying horns are "tools of terror", only that it was incredibly disruptive to those that lived in the vicinity. People who were trying to live their lives. Have you ever gone days without a good sleep? It really is detrimental to mental health. Protesting day and night in a residential neighbourhood is NOT peaceful protesting. Disturbing the peace is a criminal offense under our criminal code. 

Honestly Darth, it seems your hatred of JT is so far beyond, you can't see even the smallest issue with the modes with which his detractors employ. 
    I’ll attempt (and likely screw up) my take on the noose but at the end of the day I expect we’ll have to agree to disagree. In this context, I see the noose as making a political point (whether one agrees or disagrees), not an actual threat. I admit there are more…tasteful ways to make the point, but it’s that simple for me. I don’t see it as any worse than tearing down statues (without some sort of due process) or some of the other “understandable” forms of protest we’ve seen employed recently. It’s not just the political right that has lowered the bar on this, in my opinion.

As far as my hatred of Trudeau goes (which I have and will continue to acknowledge), in 2015 I tried to give Trudeau a chance (as I urged people to do with Trump which had the effect of having me labeled a Trump supporter). When one of Trudeau’s first acts as government was to give dual citizenship back to terrorists, well, that started my fears about where we were/are headed. I still feel SNC was beyond inappropriate (possibly criminal), his constant divisiveness (inappropriate as PM) and his utter lack of integrity just sink him even more. He has made clear there’s rules for us that he needn’t worry about. Finally, his pretreatment of the convoy protest places much of the blame for how things played out at his feet (something he has never owned himself). And I don’t watch Fox News, do Facebook or follow Tucker Carlson. My opinions have been arrived at through 7+ years of observing Trudeau as an MP (called Peter Kent a piece of shit in the HoC), then as PM (where he’s shown the same level of respect for our institutions as he did previously).

And don’t get me started about how open and transparent he promised to be, along with not employing legislative trickery (proroguing, omnibus bills). He’s more Harper than Harper ever was.

All that said, maybe we could return to the point I was making about how counter protesting doesn’t help or accomplish anything generally? And it seems the Magic Man and I are in agreement on this point?

Edit: One last (I hope) comment on the noose. If the protesters had built a functional gallows with a proper rope I would likely have a different reaction, but that’s not what happened.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

Hugh, I realized I completely skipped over whether or not I’m giving extra leeway to the anti-Trudeau protesters, and that really is something I should give some consideration. My knee jerk response is that I feel I’m simply tolerating what I’ve seen tolerated in addition to not holding the entire group responsible for the words and gestures of individuals.

I’ll give it some more serious thought and get back if I should change my view on that.

Hugh, I realized I completely skipped over whether or not I’m giving extra leeway to the anti-Trudeau protesters, and that really is something I should give some consideration. My knee jerk response is that I feel I’m simply tolerating what I’ve seen tolerated in addition to not holding the entire group responsible for the words and gestures of individuals.

I’ll give it some more serious thought and get back if I should change my view on that.
    I wish everyone here discussed/debated like you do. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I wish everyone here discussed/debated like you do. 
    Thanks, it may not always come across (I have to admit some/many of my posts are more venting than anything else), but I am here to learn and gain understanding.

On another note, this happened around the corner from my best friends’ house (I regularly house- and pet-sit), with his boys’ schools put into lockdown. Thankfully no one but the suspect was hurt (he died at the scene). On CTV news they had a witness who said the individual pointed the weapon at the police. With that in mind, I have zero issue with the outcome. I don’t necessarily expect the cops on scene to be able to determine it was a pellet gun in the heat of the moment. This almost strikes me as suicide-by-cop.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/pellet-gun-man-dead-toronto-schools-lockdowns-1.6467895

I really don’t understand why this training exercise had to become partisan by assigning a cause to the “protesters”. All the actors had to do was yell “We want something!” or “We’re against something!” with accompanying signs saying the same.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-pearson-airport-emergency-exercise-gtaa-1.6469694

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    I really don’t understand why this training exercise had to become partisan by assigning a cause to the “protesters”. All the actors had to do was yell “We want something!” or “We’re against something!” with accompanying signs saying the same.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-pearson-airport-emergency-exercise-gtaa-1.6469694
    What an odd thing to be concerned about.
    dignin said:

I’ve never claimed to not be odd, but I might ask you to flip it around and consider how you might feel if they had used a group you sympathize with for a training exercise. As I suggested, why couldn’t they have used generic chants instead, then I wouldn’t have had anything to post about, lol?

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    dignin said:

I’ve never claimed to not be odd, but I might ask you to flip it around and consider how you might feel if they had used a group you sympathize with for a training exercise. As I suggested, why couldn’t they have used generic chants instead, then I wouldn’t have had anything to post about, lol?

Was the cause assigned, though? It's an interesting question and I have been trying to figure that out but haven't found any information yet. 

The signs definitely look home made and are variable enough in construction and content that I assumed that people were just told to bring their own signs and that's what they brought. I would not assume a cause was assigned. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    dignin said:

Was the cause assigned, though? It's an interesting question and I have been trying to figure that out but haven't found any information yet. 

The signs definitely look home made and are variable enough in construction and content that I assumed that people were just told to bring their own signs and that's what they brought. I would not assume a cause was assigned. 
    I don’t deny that what you’re positing is possible, but I have some serious doubts, given the uniformity of the signs (they look to me like they were made on site). At some point I’d wonder the same thing as I do about Trudeau’s high school blackface escapades: where were the grown ups to say this might not be the wisest move?

If everyone else in the crowd was making signs for one cause, would others feel comfortable (even safe these days) making signs representing the “other side”?

I especially like the “Trump 2024” sign, lol. Can’t even get their country right, lol.

For what it’s worth, I just sent an email to Pearson Airport about this, I’ll post whatever reply I receive.

dignin said:

I don’t deny that what you’re positing is possible, but I have some serious doubts, given the uniformity of the signs (they look to me like they were made on site). At some point I’d wonder the same thing as I do about Trudeau’s high school blackface escapades: where were the grown ups to say this might not be the wisest move?

If everyone else in the crowd was making signs for one cause, would others feel comfortable (even safe these days) making signs representing the “other side”?

I especially like the “Trump 2024” sign, lol. Can’t even get their country right, lol.
    but those signs were seen at the trucker convoy. along with chants of "USA! USA!". so they got it bang on. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

For what it’s worth, I just sent an email to Pearson Airport about this, I’ll post whatever reply I receive.

Thanks, I'm interested in what they say, assuming they respond. 

If I was on Twitter that would be a way to contact them and they probably would provide a response since that seems to be the way people get the attention of companies and organizations these days, but I'm not going on Twitter just for that. 
    dignin said:

To what I think is your point in the second paragraph, I haven’t seen much evidence that anti-maskers/anti-vaxxers don’t feel comfortable or safe in expressing their views :lol: . They’ve been expressing the hell out of them where I live. 
    dignin said:

but those signs were seen at the trucker convoy. along with chants of "USA! USA!". so they got it bang on. 
    But again,  why didn’t they use generic protesters for a training exercise and offend no one?  In my swimming lessons I was only ever assigned symptoms,  not a cause,  lol.

edited May 2022
    dignin said:

To what I think is your point in the second paragraph, I haven’t seen much evidence that anti-maskers/anti-vaxxers don’t feel comfortable or safe in expressing their views :lol: . They’ve been expressing the hell out of them where I live. 
    My poor wording skills strike again,  I meant that sentence in an entirely hypothetical way, trying in part to make a point about human nature (go along to get along) as well as today's environment being so polarized. If I was one of the mock (and I can't stress that point enough,  I'm sorry) protesters and told to make a sign, I doubt I'd write a message on mine that was the opposite of everyone else's. And these days I'd wonder about what harassment or abuse I might be setting myself up for if I did, in all honesty. 

I definitely acknowledge the current anti-mandates crowd aren't very quiet about it though.

Edit: I'm not on Twitter either and getting an answer on this isn't reason enough for me to sign up either,  lol.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

I agree with Darth.  It's bad taste to assign a group of actors to be in protest of a particular thing when it's a training exercise. Seems remarkably unnecessary.  
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    I still don't know if they even were assigned, but the more that I think about it the more I don't have a problem with it if they were. 

The goal of a mock drill is to make the situation as realistic as possible, and it's hard to deny that the majority of disruptive protests over the past year have been related to covid.
    I still don't know if they even were assigned, but the more that I think about it the more I don't have a problem with it if they were. 

The goal of a mock drill is to make the situation as realistic as possible, and it's hard to deny that the majority of disruptive protests over the past year have been related to covid.
    I hear what you’re saying, but does that mean for the airplane hijacking scenario they follow the stereotype of the middle eastern terrorist, or, as I’m suggesting go with generic terrorists?