• Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    SOLAT319 said:
    W.M.A. looked amazing! Great drums!

WMA WAS PERFECTION
    This^
  • Options
    BobertBobert Posts: 15

Another high energy and super entertaining show. After night 1, I wondered how they would top that show, but they pulled it off. It seemed to me that Ed was all business from the beginning. As I recall, he didn’t address the crowd at much length until several songs into the set and he appeared more intense than the previous night. I thought on night 1 he seemed a bit nervous, but pumped about the show. I still don’t know what angered him and it’s not important to me that I do know, but he seemed to shake it off and maybe performed with an edge and greater intensity than the first night, as others have observed. I was again impressed by the drummers. Thanks to them all for doing a tremendous job under extremely challenging circumstances. Mike again delivered a very high energy and exceedingly proficient performance. My buddy, who was seeing them for the first time and has seen many, many, accomplished guitarists, commented on Mike’s stage presence and performance skills. Highlights for me were Once, Dissident, and SOLAT. I also enjoyed the repeats from the previous night, DTE and Corduroy (not listed on the Pearl Jam setlist for some reason). I also really enjoyed their performance of Mind Your Manners. I ‘ve heard the song performed before and thought it was OK, but I really enjoyed the performance on this night. Rearview Mirror was also a definite highlight. Lowlight was beautiful, too. Although Matt wasn’t able to play with them, I’m grateful they managed to put on two high energy, highly entertaining shows and did not cancel or reschedule these long-delayed shows. If there were more repeats than in previous back-to-shows in the same venue, I completely understand. Take care of yourself, Matt, and get well soon. We missed you.

• Options
    elcazador83elcazador83 Posts: 90
    Quick question. We're masks required and did they enforce that?
  • Options
    curleybarneycurleybarney USA Posts: 157
    Quick question. We're masks required and did they enforce that?
    If you didn't have a mask they gave you one at the door. But I did not see any venue staff enforce masks beyond that point. 
    Chicago, IL 07-19-2013 | Los Angeles, CA 11-23-2013 | Oakland, CA 11-26-2013 | St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014 | Bridge School 10-25-2014 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL 04-08-2016 | Miami, FL 04-09-2016 | TOTD San Francisco, CA 11/11/2016 | TOTD San Francisco, CA 11/12/2016 | Seattle, WA 08-08-2018 | Seattle, WA 08-10-2018 | EV & The Earthlings Ohana 09-24-2021 | EV & The Earthlings Ohana 09-25-2021 | Ohana 09-26-2021 | Los Angeles, CA 05-06-2022 | Los Angeles, CA 05-07-2022 | Oakland, CA 05-12-2022 | Oakland, CA 05-13-2022 | Austin, TX 09-18-2023 | Austin, TX 09-19-2023 Next: Sacramento, CA 05-13-2024 | Las Vegas, NV 05-16-2024 | Las Vegas, NV 05-18-2024 | Los Angeles, CA 05-21-2024 | Los Angeles, CA 05-22-2024
  • Options
    jfconnorjrjfconnorjr Posts: 518
    Here is my take on what went down on Friday night. 
    During Low Light, there were some mistakes made by either Mike or Josh. You will hear it when it is released. Ed takes a big pull on what looks like a Pinot Noir and then throws it under his organ seat and spits the wine on his monitor, kicks over a speaker between him and Stone and then even flow starts. 
    He kind of apologizes and says it’s his mistake but then brings up covid and stress and politics etc. 
    Throughout the next several songs he looks back to both drummers and seems to either be asking them to speed up or correct something. At one point he walks over to the sound board and talks to them about something. And during porch he circles Stones mic and monitors. Kind of a lot of drama. 
    I have seen a few shows on the last 20+ years, Ed forgets lyrics all of the time and makes mistakes quite a bit. His drama took away from the show that was otherwise amazing. Josh and Richard did a fantastic job and who cares if Mike missed a solo or the drummers a down beat. It’s live music and is supposed to be different every night. 
    Everyone in that stadium has had to deal with a lot of the same stress for the last 2yrs if not more. I hope we can all focus on the present tense moving forward. 

• Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    Here is my take on what went down on Friday night. 
    During Low Light, there were some mistakes made by either Mike or Josh. You will hear it when it is released. Ed takes a big pull on what looks like a Pinot Noir and then throws it under his organ seat and spits the wine on his monitor, kicks over a speaker between him and Stone and then even flow starts. 
    He kind of apologizes and says it’s his mistake but then brings up covid and stress and politics etc. 
    Throughout the next several songs he looks back to both drummers and seems to either be asking them to speed up or correct something. At one point he walks over to the sound board and talks to them about something. And during porch he circles Stones mic and monitors. Kind of a lot of drama. 
    I have seen a few shows on the last 20+ years, Ed forgets lyrics all of the time and makes mistakes quite a bit. His drama took away from the show that was otherwise amazing. Josh and Richard did a fantastic job and who cares if Mike missed a solo or the drummers a down beat. It’s live music and is supposed to be different every night. 
    Everyone in that stadium has had to deal with a lot of the same stress for the last 2yrs if not more. I hope we can all focus on the present tense moving forward. 

I’m pretty sure it was Mike who came in with the wrong riff and later during the song, Mike was just standing there with this “shit, Ed’s pissed” look on his face. I should’ve taken a picture of it, too funny! 

All in all, they recovered quickly and it definitely wasn’t something that Ed should’ve gotten all worked up about, especially considering all the lyrical fuck ups he’s made over the years. 😂
  • Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 351
    As others have said, Friday was intense. Kind of the flip side of Thursday. Thursday was all good, we're in this together vibes with Eddie spreading the love. By night 2, the novelty of not having Matt on the the kit had worn off and Eddie was feeling the stress and weight of things. Understandable. I have to say they could have totally phoned in a repeated show from Thursday and it would have been understandable. Instead, they played 14 or so unique songs from night 1 and played with rough edge that I haven't seen from them in a long time. My buddy and I were loving every minute of it, even if some in my section were less than enthused. We were stoked on hearing Throw Your Hatred Down, but it's not exactly Daughter. I was pumped to hear a varied setlist with some bust outs and first for tour songs. Never thought we'd hear Crazy Mary without Matt, but that rocked and a full WMA was quite the treat and totally ripped. Was surprised to hear Porch in the middle of the encore- was a more intense version than night 1. Didn't need to hear Baba 2 nights in a row, but by that point I was really happy with how things went down setlist and playing wise. 

I really liked night 1, but night 2 was the type of show I was hoping to get at least one of the nights. Definitely glad I hit both. And thanks to the F2F ticket exchange I had excellent seats both nights. Now need to decide if I'm hitting Sacramento. 
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22

• Options
    edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    Hope Ed wasn't upset about human mistake(s) especially under the circumstances. Like MSG 2010, maybe the problem was technical. To me his rage was directed towards this speaker (green arrow, night1 pic). That’s the one that got kicked over and that’s the direction the wine bottle flew.

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 888
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,389
    MD190661 said:
    We were stoked on hearing Throw Your Hatred Down, but it's not exactly Daughter. 
    You're right-- "Throw Your Hatred Down" is so much better! :smiley:

"Hatred" is one of my all-time favorite songs.  I was super excited to hear it, although slightly less excited as I realized Ed doesn't know how it goes...

I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    edited May 2022
    Oh what a night! Seeing that it took two years to finally have these shows, it seemed fitting that they opened up with Long Road as it’s been 18 years since I’ve seen it played live.  

Other highlights for me included finally getting my first proper full version of W.M.A after 42 shows. It’s moments like that drum solo at the end that fuel my need to travel & see this band whenever possible. And then there’s Bee Girl which was a first for me, and now as a father of two girls, I can relate to this song a lot more than I could in my youth. 

All in all, it was a phenomenal show that had a very ‘98 vibe & feel to it in my opinion. As someone else mentioned, whenever Richard was behind the kit, it was like watching Keith Moon back there. His energy was infectious and I think that rubbed off on the guys as they were playing with a level of aggression I hadn’t seen from them in a while. 

I think the thing that shocked me the most was how little Gigaton was featured. I figured they would have to lean heavy on the newer material as that’s what Josh would be more familiar with but boy was I wrong! What definitely didn’t shock me was the crowd on both nights, so kudos to everyone in attendance as we blew the roof off Oracle both nights!! 

Now it’s on to Sac & Vegas and hopefully some MFC!!
    Post edited by Red Mosqito on
  • Options
    U2SJU2SJ Posts: 62
    Hi all
    Still looking for Oakland night 2 poster I can pay up to $100 I just can't do the eBay pricing but I really am devastated that we weren't able to get the poster. please if anyone would help me I would be the happiest Pearl Jam fan and forever grateful. 
    We can also work out some sort of trade plus cash I have night one  poster, Oakland 2013 or the Boston octopus poster.
    thanks all 🙏🏻
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    edited May 2022
    Well, one of my main takeaways from the previous night was how refreshing it would be to not be so hung up on setlist nerd-ery for a couple nights. Of course they then do a show like this. Holy shit.

There were so many awesome moments, from the grand return of RVM to a smile-worthy Bee Girl, but to me THE unquestionable moment of the whole show is W.M.A. Fucking FULL W.M.A. Fucking FULL W.M.A. with the drum part.

Holy. Shit.

First of all, from an instrumental/musical perspective this is such a pleasant shock. Who would've guessed that the first time they do this in its true form in years be with a replacement drummer? Though this show was dedicated to Matt, to me this night is all about Richard Stuverud. Now that he got a chance to get settled in the role, the pure jolt of life he brought to the stage all night was so refreshing and cool. But this took things to another level. I didn't at all think he needed a more permanent role in the band after Night 1, but this performance has pushed me to thinking that conversation isn't a silly one.

Now for the bigger thing: the use of the song from a topical perspective. At the end of the day, when the element that these are rescheduled 2020 dates is considered it goes from unexpected to a long time coming. The summer of 2020 was such a cultural moment that you knew they were gonna have to encapsulate those emotions in some performance at some point, and unsurprisingly it was through the return of this song in its full form. Not to mention what happens to have gone down in Buffalo less than 24 hours after this night. With that in mind though, rewatching the emotion Mike gave out onstage during the jam at the end almost drove me to tears.

Best show in a long long time, and it was without a band member. It just confirms that no matter how much time goes by, this band will always continue to find ways to blow minds.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    edwho said:
    Hope Ed wasn't upset about human mistake(s) especially under the circumstances. Like MSG 2010, maybe the problem was technical. To me his rage was directed towards this speaker (green arrow, night1 pic). That’s the one that got kicked over and that’s the direction the wine bottle flew.
    Haha. Ed was just hungover.  I get bitchy too when I’m hungover.  Especially a wine hangover.  😄
  • Options
    PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    edited May 2022
    Super show. I can’t wait until my Hamilton show. 
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,309
    Does Crazy Mary even count as a cover song anymore? It's practically a PJ song now, I can't imagine anybody else singing it
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    maxDaddymaxDaddy Posts: 36
    Not much to add to the above but just wanted to chime in with a few thoughts about the whole weekend experience. The SF Bay Area hasn't had a proper headline PJ show since Nov '13 - which was way too long!  Had the 2020 shows actually happened in 2020, it would have been a 6 & 1/2 year drought... then 2020 happens and it's 2 more years! Come on! 

Anyway - what can be said about this band that just keeps on giving?  What an incredible couple of shows.  Even with Matt in Sick Bay, they delivered not one, but two knockout performances.  My impressions are very similar to some of what has already been expressed... such as... night 1 being a real celebration of sorts, lots of good old-fashioned FUN happening on stage.    I think they were all a bit nervous about how the show would go down with substitute drummers in the mix (which is probably why they opened with Rockin In The Free World - an easy song for getting in the groove together). Well, once they got a few songs into it, it was clear that it was working, and they could actually put on a good show!   They breathe a collective sigh of relief, and then proceed to have some fun! 

Night 2, as mentioned, was clearly different. Having established that a PJ is not only possible, but can be a real success, they came into this show with a certain passion and intensity that wasn't necessarily there on night 1.   Mike in particular was just freaking incredible the whole time.  He kills it pretty consistently anyway, but I think he kicked things up a notch - as did everyone else - here on Friday night. 

Quick Escape, for example. Not yet a big-time jam vehicle, but holy shit, he was killing it here - totally channeling his inner Jimi! Night and day difference compared to the same night the night before. 

Ed's outburst of course has also been a hot topic - and while it didn't seen that extreme or anything, clearly something was up which angered him, but for better or for worse, I think that anger translated into an elevated, focused, and more intense performance. When he was singing Even Flow, he was reminding me of MJK from Tool!  Hunched forward almost in a statuesque pose, barely moving, muscles tensed, laser focused on the distance.... it was really something to behold, for sure.    And again, Mike, my goodness.  I think he makes it a personal challenge to rock the shit out of that song every single time.  For a song that literally gets played at every single show (perhaps rare exceptions) Mike certainly delivers -- and this night was no exception, he was pulling out all the stops, expended soloing behind his back, with his teeth, running laps around the stage, jumping into the audience  -- is there anything the guy can't do? LOL. 

And that setlist? Come on! WMA? Immortality... Long Road to open.... it started out great and then just kept getting better as it rolled along. 

YAY PJ! 
  • Options
    fdavidfdavid Indianapolis Posts: 71
    maxDaddy said:
    Not much to add to the above but just wanted to chime in with a few thoughts about the whole weekend experience. The SF Bay Area hasn't had a proper headline PJ show since Nov '13 - which was way too long!  Had the 2020 shows actually happened in 2020, it would have been a 6 & 1/2 year drought... then 2020 happens and it's 2 more years! Come on! 

Anyway - what can be said about this band that just keeps on giving?  What an incredible couple of shows.  Even with Matt in Sick Bay, they delivered not one, but two knockout performances.  My impressions are very similar to some of what has already been expressed... such as... night 1 being a real celebration of sorts, lots of good old-fashioned FUN happening on stage.    I think they were all a bit nervous about how the show would go down with substitute drummers in the mix (which is probably why they opened with Rockin In The Free World - an easy song for getting in the groove together). Well, once they got a few songs into it, it was clear that it was working, and they could actually put on a good show!   They breathe a collective sigh of relief, and then proceed to have some fun! 

Night 2, as mentioned, was clearly different. Having established that a PJ is not only possible, but can be a real success, they came into this show with a certain passion and intensity that wasn't necessarily there on night 1.   Mike in particular was just freaking incredible the whole time.  He kills it pretty consistently anyway, but I think he kicked things up a notch - as did everyone else - here on Friday night. 

Quick Escape, for example. Not yet a big-time jam vehicle, but holy shit, he was killing it here - totally channeling his inner Jimi! Night and day difference compared to the same night the night before. 

Ed's outburst of course has also been a hot topic - and while it didn't seen that extreme or anything, clearly something was up which angered him, but for better or for worse, I think that anger translated into an elevated, focused, and more intense performance. When he was singing Even Flow, he was reminding me of MJK from Tool!  Hunched forward almost in a statuesque pose, barely moving, muscles tensed, laser focused on the distance.... it was really something to behold, for sure.    And again, Mike, my goodness.  I think he makes it a personal challenge to rock the shit out of that song every single time.  For a song that literally gets played at every single show (perhaps rare exceptions) Mike certainly delivers -- and this night was no exception, he was pulling out all the stops, expended soloing behind his back, with his teeth, running laps around the stage, jumping into the audience  -- is there anything the guy can't do? LOL. 

And that setlist? Come on! WMA? Immortality... Long Road to open.... it started out great and then just kept getting better as it rolled along. 

YAY PJ! 
    Perfect summary.  Spot on analysis.  I'd add that Brain of J might've been the highlight for me. Also, I'll say that of all the shows I've attended, this one seemed to just keep rockin - on and on and on - more than any before.  Just so damn good. And while MC is an iron horse, the new drummers knew this was their shining moment and added an energy and intensity I haven't seen in some time. What a night.
    Soldier Field 95, Indy/Deer Creek 98, Indy/Deer Creek 2000, Cinci 2006, Tampa 2008, Columbus 2010, Indy 2010, Chicago United Center 2009, PJ20 Alpine Valley both, Chicago Wrigley 2013, Philly 2013 night 2, Charlotte 13, LA 1 '13, LA2 '13, Cinci '14, Denver '14, Tampa '16, Lexington '16, Chicago Wrigley Nite 1 2016
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,290
    anyone get covid at the shows?  tested positive this morning :(
  • Options
    curleybarneycurleybarney USA Posts: 157
    Zod said:
    I can't prove I got it at the shows, of course, but it seems very likely. Positive test yesterday. Hang in there!
    Chicago, IL 07-19-2013 | Los Angeles, CA 11-23-2013 | Oakland, CA 11-26-2013 | St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014 | Bridge School 10-25-2014 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL 04-08-2016 | Miami, FL 04-09-2016 | TOTD San Francisco, CA 11/11/2016 | TOTD San Francisco, CA 11/12/2016 | Seattle, WA 08-08-2018 | Seattle, WA 08-10-2018 | EV & The Earthlings Ohana 09-24-2021 | EV & The Earthlings Ohana 09-25-2021 | Ohana 09-26-2021 | Los Angeles, CA 05-06-2022 | Los Angeles, CA 05-07-2022 | Oakland, CA 05-12-2022 | Oakland, CA 05-13-2022 | Austin, TX 09-18-2023 | Austin, TX 09-19-2023 Next: Sacramento, CA 05-13-2024 | Las Vegas, NV 05-16-2024 | Las Vegas, NV 05-18-2024 | Los Angeles, CA 05-21-2024 | Los Angeles, CA 05-22-2024
  • Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 351
    2 friends on different nights have it now. I’m not feeling great, but testing negative- pcr today. 
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22

• Options
    maxDaddymaxDaddy Posts: 36
    I had it about 3 weeks ago, but was fully recovered by the Oakland shows (and tested negative, of course) so I was feeling pretty good about being there, overall. I wouldn't be spreading, certainly, and most likely wouldn't be contracting either, having recently recovered.   But clearly, the "sore throat + mild cough" version has been going around... hopefully not more than that for anyone who may have picked it up at a show.... 
  • Options
    PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
    Zod said:
    Did both Inglewood shows. Not 100% sure I got it at the shows (spent the night after the show in the ER on Saturday), but I tested positive for Covid two days later. 
  • Options
    apkirklandapkirkland Big Sky Country Posts: 198
    Zod said:
    I tested positive this morning too. So did someone else I know who was at both Oaklands. 
  • Options
    goldenboy8167goldenboy8167 Posts: 193
    edited May 2022
    Zod said:
    My buddy most likely got it from LA 2. He’s had to miss 4 days of work and he’s still testing positive.
    Boulder 11/26/93, Denver 3/7/94, Red Rocks 6/20/95, LA 7/14/98, Palo Alto 10/31/99, San Diego 10/25/00, San Bernadino 10/28/00, Denver 4/1/03, Denver 7/2/06, LA 7/09/06, Hollywood 7/12/06, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/6/09, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/23/13, LA 5/6.22, LA 5/7/22
  • Options
    snowrider_04snowrider_04 Berkeley, CA Posts: 90
    edited May 2022

Drew this little guy in between sets and waiting in merch lines over the course of both nights in Oakland. Here’s to Jeff and MFC feeling better soon. ❤️ - Lee
    Post edited by snowrider_04 on
    Live & Loud: A list of every concert I've been to.
    Vintage Four Wheels: If you like vintage cars.

2022: Oakland 1, Oakland 2 • 2018: Seattle 1 • 2014: Mountain View (BSB) • 2013: Philadelphia 1, Philadelphia 2, Oakland • 2011: Oakland 1 (EV), Oakland 2 (EV) • 2009: San Francisco (Outside Lands) • 2008: Berkeley (EV) • 2006: San Francisco 1, San Francisco 2 Mountain View (BSB) •  2000: Mountain View • 1999: Mountain View (BSB) • 1992: Stanhope (Lollapalooza)
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,389

Drew this little guy in between sets and waiting in merch lines over the course of both nights in Oakland. Here’s to Jeff and MFC feeling better soon. ❤️ - Lee
    I would buy this poster.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,052

Beauty.  That would  make a beautiful  poster for gig by the  coast
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    NEweatherNEweather Posts: 450

Very nice/ i'd buy it too
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,334

Brilliant!
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024