The Official 2023 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• heartofadogheartofadog Portland, OR Posts: 350
    I have no inside information and am often wrong about many things but I don't think there will ever be a time when they tour extensively again. I think those days are behind them. I don't really agree that they've been "mailing it in" or whatever since 2006 but I think with any band this big, who has been around this long, they're going to hit a point where they have to figure out whether or not to become sort of sad caricatures of their former selves and I'm glad this band hasn't become that, though it's really difficult to imagine these dudes in their 70s still playing Lukin or Corduroy or whatever. Same with Foos, for that matter. The other bands folks mentioned elsewhere — Phish, DMB, whatever — if they want to continue can find ways to kind of meander through shows with a modicum of grace. Pearl Jam doesn't make music like that and until/unless they start doing so, there will come a point where they just physically cannot get up there and play these songs, at this pace, for two-plus hours. Maybe reducing the amount that they tour is a step towards trying to prolong their career. I don't know. I know that I personally, like many of y'all, have been along for the entire ride with this band, since I was 12 years old, and I said to my wife before getting tickets for this tour, "This might be the last one I see. It feels like the last one where they'll still be the band I remember/the band they've always been." Who knows if that's even remotely true, but I do feel some urgency to catch a show or a few within the next year or two, so hopefully there's ample opportunity to do so.
    1993: Portland, OR (09/06), Seattle, WA (12/07), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    1995: Seattle, WA (02/05)
    1996: Seattle, WA (09/16)
    1997:
    Oakland, CA (11/19)
    1998:
    Portland, OR (07/18), Seattle, WA (07/21), Seattle, WA (07/22)
    2000: Bellingham, WA (05/10), Vancouver, BC (05/11), Mountain View, CA (10/31), Portland, OR (11/02), Seattle, WA (11/05), Seattle, WA (11/06)
    2002: Seattle, WA (12/05), Seattle, WA (12/06), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    2003: Vancouver, BC (5/30), Seattle, WA (10/22), 
    2006: Portland, OR (07/20)
    2009: Berlin, DE (08/15), Seattle, WA (9/21), Seattle, WA (9/22)
    2010: Berlin, DE (06/30)
    2013: Los Angeles, CA (11/23), Los Angeles, CA (11/24), Portland, OR (11/29), Spokane, WA (11/30)
    2018: Seattle, WA (08/10)
    2022: Seattle, WA (2/22)
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,151
    I have no inside information and am often wrong about many things but I don't think there will ever be a time when they tour extensively again. I think those days are behind them. I don't really agree that they've been "mailing it in" or whatever since 2006 but I think with any band this big, who has been around this long, they're going to hit a point where they have to figure out whether or not to become sort of sad caricatures of their former selves and I'm glad this band hasn't become that, though it's really difficult to imagine these dudes in their 70s still playing Lukin or Corduroy or whatever. Same with Foos, for that matter. The other bands folks mentioned elsewhere — Phish, DMB, whatever — if they want to continue can find ways to kind of meander through shows with a modicum of grace. Pearl Jam doesn't make music like that and until/unless they start doing so, there will come a point where they just physically cannot get up there and play these songs, at this pace, for two-plus hours. Maybe reducing the amount that they tour is a step towards trying to prolong their career. I don't know. I know that I personally, like many of y'all, have been along for the entire ride with this band, since I was 12 years old, and I said to my wife before getting tickets for this tour, "This might be the last one I see. It feels like the last one where they'll still be the band I remember/the band they've always been." Who knows if that's even remotely true, but I do feel some urgency to catch a show or a few within the next year or two, so hopefully there's ample opportunity to do so.
    I think there is some wisdom in this. I watched Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers unravel quite a bit over their last decade of touring, and it was NOT the same band. There were highlights, like 2 solid albums, but plenty of lowlights also.

Setlists got shorter, and were very similar from one tour to the next. Lots of greatest hits were largely ignored, or never heard from again. Tom's voice became less audible. Backup singers were brought in to get the band through songs. 

It pains me to say it, but they weren't anywhere close to their best. I heard someone say that their final show at the Hollywood Bowl was legendary, or something to that effect. Please! It wasn't even their best show of the 2000's. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Rolling Stones on line 2.

Metallica on line 3.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Rolling Stones on line 2.

Metallica on line 3.
    Metallica may not say what we expect them to. 

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/james-hetfield-metallica-group-hug/

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    edited May 2022
    Seattle residency
    Vegas residency
    MSG residency
    New England tour

:wink:

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Wow, didn’t realize James struggled to play live. Surprising because their fans rave a bout them and their live shows. Thanks for the info.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    If that is real it's almost certainly tacked on to the beginning or end of an Australian run. 

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,618
    AUS/NZ in Early January
    Stop in Tokyo
    End in Lolla India

Likely not, but we can dream.  PJ in Tokyo remains my current #1 desired destination show.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    JimmyV said:
    If that is real it's almost certainly tacked on to the beginning or end of an Australian run. 
    Yes, thats the only reason why it just might be legit
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 584
    “I don't think there will ever be a time when they tour extensively again. I think those days are behind them.”

They aren’t that old! I think it’s far too early to be saying statements like that. I reckon at least another 10 years at least of the kind of tours we’ve had over the last few years.
    Then what the heck happens to that Chile rumor? Or did that just fall through?
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,621
    That was for March so makes me think IF both rumors true then lolla India would be towards the end of an Asian/Aussie/nz tour not the beginning.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• JABKJABK Finland Posts: 293
    Also hoping for a shorter European tour to make up for the cancellations 🤞 Still pissed and disappointed about Vienna....
    AUS/NZ in January - announced later than usual since it’s not Big Day Out
    South America in March/April

Those have been the rumors for months now, which I would expect to still come true
    These would be very rare (the first since the early 90s?) January shows.
  • MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    If the Lollapalooza India rumors turn out to be true, hope they add Japan and Southeast Asia (first time since 1995!) as well.
  • drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,051
    Really hoping for some more European shows next Summer. Would be happy though if it’s just EV.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    I think I'd quit my job to do the Asia/Australia if I was told I couldn't get the time off.
    Ariake arena opened in 2020, holds about 12,000 in Tokyo.  Would be an incredible space to see PJ play.
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,099
    I dunno- with all the cancellation risks that’s a very far distance to travel.  Makes Prague look like a commuter flight.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    They lost money playing Japan in 2003 and doubt they’ll ever play there again. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
    100 Pacer said:
    They lost money playing Japan in 2003 and doubt they’ll ever play there again. 
    True, but that was also 5 cities in some of the more remote areas of the country.  I would be willing to bet they could sell out 1-2 nights at Ariake considering the capacity.  

Which cities do you think would be most likely if they were to squeeze in a few shows in between AUS/NZ and India (assuming this is all true)

To compare, this is the Billie Eilish tour about to start next week.  6 shows in 13 days in Southeast Asia.

• JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    Hope we get some more North American shows next year.  
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • RK50065RK50065 St. Louis, MO Posts: 885
    I think I'd quit my job to do the Asia/Australia if I was told I couldn't get the time off.
    with these current setlists?!
  • brewdog123brewdog123 ATL Posts: 635
    Atlanta
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    RK50065 said:
    with these current setlists?!
    Fair point.   More about the locations and my weird obsession with seeing Pearl Jam in as many different countries as I can.  
  • brewdog123brewdog123 ATL Posts: 635
    I wonder if they could fill up Mercedes-Benz... that'd be fun.
    venue's sound is dreadful unless in pit
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Atlanta

Will be shocking honestly if atl doesn’t show up in the next NA cycle
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    I wonder if they could fill up Mercedes-Benz... that'd be fun.
    venue's sound is dreadful unless in pit
    Yeah it’s terrible. No to Benz PJ! 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016