Options

Turntables

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,684
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    New Stylus installed and the 1228 is running just fine. will do a service on it after a bit but think I'm gonna get the 1257 straight before I do the 1228. then on to the 1229Q.

Very cool! How does it sound?

with no work other than stylus it sounds fantastic. left channel randomly projects a muted sound occasionally? and takes a second to get to speed. cue needs adjusted to soften its drop.

so happy I grabbed this. Craigslist find from a pawn shop. all spindle accessories are present. 
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    New Stylus installed and the 1228 is running just fine. will do a service on it after a bit but think I'm gonna get the 1257 straight before I do the 1228. then on to the 1229Q.

Very cool! How does it sound?

with no work other than stylus it sounds fantastic. left channel randomly projects a muted sound occasionally? and takes a second to get to speed. cue needs adjusted to soften its drop.

so happy I grabbed this. Craigslist find from a pawn shop. all spindle accessories are present. 
    That's fantastic! Those little issues should be pretty easy to sort out. 

Enjoy that thing!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Gentlemen,

what cart/stylus combos are you running and your various tables?

just picked up an OE sled for the 1228 comete with changer dial. so 1/2 inch cart mount etc...

also have a TK 120 TK 14 Sled coming with an OE Shure M75D and NG71 Stylus.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Gentlemen,

just picked up an OE sled for the 1228 comete with changer dial. so 1/2 inch cart mount etc...

I have a few that I switch between on my Dual 1019.

Pickering XV-15, Audio-Technica 4414 and an Ortofon FF-15 XE Mark II are the three that sound the best to me. (I have a collection of vintage carts and styli.) The Ortofon and A-T both have elliptical stylus and I have a conical on the Pickering. The conical gets used for older records that aren't in the best shape since it is so forgiving of pops and cracks. Not the most detailed for high quality pressings, though. 

The other two are pretty well matched performance-wise with the A-T being a little more open and airy and the Ortofon being a little warmer and darker. 

Which record or pressing kind of determines which sled gets mounted.
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Gentlemen,

Pickering XV-15, Audio-Technica 4414 and an Ortofon FF-15 XE Mark II are the three that sound the best to me. (I have a collection of vintage carts and styli.) The Ortofon and A-T both have elliptical stylus and I have a conical on the Pickering. The conical gets used for older records that aren't in the best shape since it is so forgiving of pops and cracks. Not the most detailed for high quality pressings, though. 

The other two are pretty well matched performance-wise with the A-T being a little more open and airy and the Ortofon being a little warmer and darker. 

are you rebalancing the tonearm each switch or pretty well matched between them?

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Gentlemen,

are you rebalancing the tonearm each switch or pretty well matched between them?

I balance it every time I change it. I'll usually keep the same one on for days or weeks at a time and it only takes about 45 seconds to swap cartridge sleds and balance the tonearm. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    edited May 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    Gentlemen,

Ortofon Red on my Project Carbon Debut

Guy I ran into in a thrift store a few years ago gave me this long spiel about what a piece of crap my cart is. He said if I'm not spending at least a grand or more on a cart I'm wasting my time.  Funny guy.  I tried to explain that I base my stereo set up on two things:  1) what fits my budget and 2) at what point can I be satisfied with what I'm playing LPs on to my satisfaction and how can I get there.  It took awhile, but I'm there with this system:

Project Carbon Debut with Red Ortofon and cork mat
    Marantz PM 5005 tuner amp
    Marantz CD 5005 CD player
    TAi100 Polk Audio bookshelf speakers on frameworks pads

I cobbled together this setup from stuff I had up in the rafters for my wife:
    An older Goldring TT (not sure what cart, but it's decent)
    My old 70's Marantz tuner amp
    Another pair of Polk Audio bookshelf speakers

16 AWG 5 Monster cable spool for both setups.

I actually think her set up sounds a tad bit better (possibly due to the bigger room it's in), but she seldom uses it and I do now and then so I can't complain! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited May 2022
    Aluminium sub platter upgrade… worth it?

I’ve got an acrylic platter already which is pretty heavy. The subplatter is a light plastic but the aluminium one supposedly adds mass. 

Has anyone done it and if so is it a noticeable improvement?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,625
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Gentlemen,

Guy I ran into in a thrift store a few years ago gave me this long spiel about what a piece of crap my cart is. He said if I'm not spending at least a grand or more on a cart I'm wasting my time.  Funny guy.  I tried to explain that I base my stereo set up on two things:  1) what fits my budget and 2) at what point can I be satisfied with what I'm playing LPs on to my satisfaction and how can I get there.  It took awhile, but I'm there with this system:

I actually think her set up sounds a tad bit better (possibly due to the bigger room it's in), but she seldom uses it and I do now and then so I can't complain! 
    Stupid comment from him.  Sure a thousand dollar cart is good, but you need a 4k TT and 3K speakers, 5k in integrated/pre/pro, etc. to recognize the improvement. Nothing wrong with an Ort Red for your Debut, which is an excellent TT.  Now you would probably notice an improvement if you went blue and you should consider that when your Red is cooked.  But he's talking nonsense.  
  • Options

I’ve got an acrylic platter already which is pretty heavy. The subplatter is a light plastic but the aluminium one supposedly adds mass. 

What TT are you using and how much is the sub?
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    mrussel1 said:

What TT are you using and how much is the sub?
    Pro ject x2

aluminum is like 170 vs the light plastic one that came with it.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Gentlemen,

Stupid comment from him.  Sure a thousand dollar cart is good, but you need a 4k TT and 3K speakers, 5k in integrated/pre/pro, etc. to recognize the improvement. Nothing wrong with an Ort Red for your Debut, which is an excellent TT.  Now you would probably notice an improvement if you went blue and you should consider that when your Red is cooked.  But he's talking nonsense.  

Thumbs up, bud!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Gentlemen,

Thumbs up, bud!
    And the nice thing is you can just buy the blue stylus as it and the red use the same cartridge.
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    I'm budgeting $200 for a new turnable.  Does anyone have a suggestion or two?
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    Do you have an existing phono preamp or an integrated amplifier with a built-in phono preamp?

If not, the Fluance RT-80 is a good starter turntable with a built-in phono preamp ($200).
    https://www.fluance.com/rt80-high-fidelity-vinyl-turntable-record-player-with-premium-cartridge-diamond-needle

If so, the U-Turn Orbit Basic is a great option, as well ($200).
    https://uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-basic-turntable

If you can save for a bit longer and bump your budget to $300, the Fluance RT-82 may serve you better. It is built with better parts than the RT-80, and can be upgraded very easily (platter, cartridge, etc.). This one will need a phono preamp.
    https://www.fluance.com/rt82w-reference-high-fidelity-vinyl-turntable-natural-walnut

Check out this video about Fluance. It's very thorough, and may help push you in the right direction.
    https://youtu.be/owDQrelTR_A

• Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    LB260405 said:
    Do you have an existing phono preamp or an integrated amplifier with a built-in phono preamp?

If not, the Fluance RT-80 is a good starter turntable with a built-in phono preamp ($200).
    https://www.fluance.com/rt80-high-fidelity-vinyl-turntable-record-player-with-premium-cartridge-diamond-needle

If so, the U-Turn Orbit Basic is a great option, as well ($200).
    https://uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-basic-turntable

If you can save for a bit longer and bump your budget to $300, the Fluance RT-82 may serve you better. It is built with better parts than the RT-80, and can be upgraded very easily (platter, cartridge, etc.). This one will need a phono preamp.
    https://www.fluance.com/rt82w-reference-high-fidelity-vinyl-turntable-natural-walnut

Check out this video about Fluance. It's very thorough, and may help push you in the right direction.
    https://youtu.be/owDQrelTR_A

I went with the RT-80!  Thank you for the suggestions!

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    Picked up a really clean Pioneer PL-516 yesterday. 

Not sure if it will displace my Dual in the main system but it sounds pretty damn good! 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    I had a Dual 1229 and loved it. But was starting to get finicky, and from everything I read about them they are harder to repair and most places, even though they say that can repair them, don't really understand how they work.  Kind of like when I bought an MGB for my first car. Had it serviced once and lasted about a year or 2 before the problems came back. Was still playable, just things like the arm wouldnt make it all the way to the record when I hit start, or it wouldnt always stop at the end of a record.
    Found a Realistic TT at a yard sale in perfect condition that sounded great. Bought that and sold my Dual for about 4 times what I paid for the Realistic. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I had a Dual 1229 and loved it. But was starting to get finicky, and from everything I read about them they are harder to repair and most places, even though they say that can repair them, don't really understand how they work.  Kind of like when I bought an MGB for my first car. Had it serviced once and lasted about a year or 2 before the problems came back. Was still playable, just things like the arm wouldnt make it all the way to the record when I hit start, or it wouldnt always stop at the end of a record.
    Found a Realistic TT at a yard sale in perfect condition that sounded great. Bought that and sold my Dual for about 4 times what I paid for the Realistic. 
    That's awesome! The Duals can be tricky to figure out but most issues with them are solved by cleaning the old grease out of the mechanisms and re-lubing them. It takes some patience and it isn't for everyone, for sure. 

Glad you like the Realistic! My first turntable was a Realistic Lab-300 with an old Audio-Technica cart. It worked beautifully and sounded great. My dad still uses it for several hours every day and aside from changing the occasional worn out stylus, it has been rock solid.
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    mace1229 said:
    That's awesome! The Duals can be tricky to figure out but most issues with them are solved by cleaning the old grease out of the mechanisms and re-lubing them. It takes some patience and it isn't for everyone, for sure. 

Glad you like the Realistic! My first turntable was a Realistic Lab-300 with an old Audio-Technica cart. It worked beautifully and sounded great. My dad still uses it for several hours every day and aside from changing the occasional worn out stylus, it has been rock solid.

Vinylengine.com is an incredible resource for these......

• Options
    As soon as I get off my fat ass and complete the diy repair stand, I will commence to to do a thorough clean and relube to spec of 2 1228's , 2 1257's and my 1229Q which also needs some repair to the tracking force dial(internal wound spring is sprung).

Fucking love these things. So solid and well engineered.

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,488
    I am moving my turntable from my carpeted living room to a room with hardwood flooring. I want to put something underneath the stand the turntable sits on to reduce vibration being transferred to it when walking near it. I was thinking about a small area rug or an anti fatigue pad. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    I am moving my turntable from my carpeted living room to a room with hardwood flooring. I want to put something underneath the stand the turntable sits on to reduce vibration being transferred to it when walking near it. I was thinking about a small area rug or an anti fatigue pad. Any suggestions?
    My suggestion would be a mounted stand in the wall stud.  That would be the best way to limit vibrations.  

Here's a Pangea.  The prices for these are all over the map, and you could even make one yourself out of some nice wood.  I have my TT on a heavy case, on a wood floor.  It's pretty secure but if you walk hard and close, it will skip.  In fact, several years ago I was looking at buying a Clearaudio Concept table and it was so crazy sensitive to movement, I couldn't use it. 

• Options
    Depending on how bouncy the floor is, either of those things might work. 

There are also sorbothane isolation pads that are designed to go between the turntable and the stand. I have used them and had good results. The last ones I bought came from Amazon and they were around $13.00.

Another thing people do is to use mass to dampen vibrations. Something like a slab of marble or granite left over from a counter top works well. Most places that do kitchen renovations have scrap pieces that they sell for a few bucks. 

Good luck!
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    My suggestion would be a mounted stand in the wall stud.  That would be the best way to limit vibrations.  

Here's a Pangea.  The prices for these are all over the map, and you could even make one yourself out of some nice wood.  I have my TT on a heavy case, on a wood floor.  It's pretty secure but if you walk hard and close, it will skip.  In fact, several years ago I was looking at buying a Clearaudio Concept table and it was so crazy sensitive to movement, I couldn't use it. 

Thanks I will look into this.
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    Depending on how bouncy the floor is, either of those things might work. 

There are also sorbothane isolation pads that are designed to go between the turntable and the stand. I have used them and had good results. The last ones I bought came from Amazon and they were around $13.00.

Another thing people do is to use mass to dampen vibrations. Something like a slab of marble or granite left over from a counter top works well. Most places that do kitchen renovations have scrap pieces that they sell for a few bucks. 

Good luck!
    I have pads for under the turntable feet, but it is a older house, so the floors do bounce. I willl look into the slab solution as well. Thanks.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    As soon as I get off my fat ass and complete the diy repair stand, I will commence to to do a thorough clean and relube to spec of 2 1228's , 2 1257's and my 1229Q which also needs some repair to the tracking force dial(internal wound spring is sprung).

What are you using for cartridges on those awesome Duals?
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

What are you using for cartridges on those awesome Duals?
    current in use 1228 has an oem Shure 95 g-lm and stylus
    nonworking 1228 (motor seized or something has no cart)

The working 1257 has the oem ortofon cart and and a new BD Nude Eliptical stylus by Analogis fro. DaCapo Audio .
    damaged unit 1257 is oem cart and assume stylus as well.

1229q came with a pioneer cart and unknown stylus. ebay got me a oem Shure M75 cart and NB71 stylus. That table needs repaired also but works with no tracking force(spring in the dial is sprung) among other minor things.