Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,265
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    So for you NY experts, are people ordering all of these new boots on vinyl?  Seems pretty redundant to Massey, Shakespeare, Cellar Door, Carnegie with the exception of Citizen Kane, which is heavy with On the Beach.  I ordered that one for sure.  

It's hard to be a "completist" on NY.  
    Especially because that means I would have to willingly own Are You Passionate? and Fork in the Road.

Haha!  I willingly own both of those albums on vinyl but I'm no where nearly an NY completist.  I only have 44 Niel LPs and a mere 14 CDs.
    Honestly, I’d love to have  Are You Passionate on vinyl, but Discogs prices - plus shipping to Australia - have priced me out so far.
    It’s one of only 4 studio releases I don’t have on vinyl. Yet…

I just looked at what Discogs has and am surprised at these prices (although these days, I guess I shouldn't be).  It's so weird to see an album that has been panned the way that one has go for so much.  There are definitely some duds on that double LP, but the good stuff there is worth having.  I hope you manage to find a reasonable copy some time! 
    Just curious, what others are you missing?
    The only other studio records I’m missing are Living With War, Living With War: In The Beginning, and Prairie Wind.

AYP and the 2 LWWs are not among my favourite Neil albums but I love Prairie Wind, I think it’s a great album. I’ll get hold of them one day.

I also need Road Rock and Year of the Horse to complete the set. As Tim said, I’m also too close to stop now!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited May 2022
    I would love to have Prairie Wind. The Demme doc of those Ryman shows is one of my favorite concert films. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    So for you NY experts, are people ordering all of these new boots on vinyl?  Seems pretty redundant to Massey, Shakespeare, Cellar Door, Carnegie with the exception of Citizen Kane, which is heavy with On the Beach.  I ordered that one for sure.  

Especially because that means I would have to willingly own Are You Passionate? and Fork in the Road.

Haha!  I willingly own both of those albums on vinyl but I'm no where nearly an NY completist.  I only have 44 Niel LPs and a mere 14 CDs.
    Honestly, I’d love to have  Are You Passionate on vinyl, but Discogs prices - plus shipping to Australia - have priced me out so far.

I just looked at what Discogs has and am surprised at these prices (although these days, I guess I shouldn't be).  It's so weird to see an album that has been panned the way that one has go for so much.  There are definitely some duds on that double LP, but the good stuff there is worth having.  I hope you manage to find a reasonable copy some time! 
    The only other studio records I’m missing are Living With War, Living With War: In The Beginning, and Prairie Wind.

AYP and the 2 LWWs are not among my favourite Neil albums but I love Prairie Wind, I think it’s a great album. I’ll get hold of them one day.

I also need Road Rock and Year of the Horse to complete the set. As Tim said, I’m also too close to stop now!
    I have Living with War. It was the most I'd spent on a new record at the time. Not sure why I preordered it. The owner of the record store was "are you sure it's going to be £29.99". I liked it but can't say I've really played it more than a few times.
  • shorty4568shorty4568 Seattle, WA Posts: 173
    FR181798 said:
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

I have Living with War. It was the most I'd spent on a new record at the time. Not sure why I preordered it. The owner of the record store was "are you sure it's going to be £29.99". I liked it but can't say I've really played it more than a few times.
    Both LWW and Prairie Wind are Classic Records pressings on QUIEX-SV-P. They both sound fantastic. I prefer Prairie Wind as an album though. I regret not getting in the beginning because I think I like it better than the original but I'm not going to spend the $100+ for a nearly duplicate album now. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,918
    edited May 2022
    Living with War is Neil Youngs last VERY-VERY-GREAT album.

And Are You Passionate is amazing. 

Prairie Wind is the most overrated album. It's the Friday the 13th part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan of the Harvest/Comes a Time/Harvest Moon/Silver & Gold/Prairie Wind pentology. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Prairie Wind is the most overrated album. It's the Friday the 13th part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan of the Harvest/Comes a Time/Harvest Moon/Silver & Gold/Prairie Wind pentology. 
    You spelled Le Noise wrong!  :)

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:

Only reaches VERY-GREAT. But it is very great indeed!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • shorty4568shorty4568 Seattle, WA Posts: 173
    goldrush said:

No its pronounced psy·​che·​del·​ic pill!
    Come on people. Let's strive for a higher standard in this thread.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,903
    edited May 2022
    Theres some cringe shit on LWW. I also think RAW/IN The Beginning is a better take on that record. 

To be clear, I supported the albums statement then and now, but some of the lyrics? woof.

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    edited May 2022
    Theres some cringe shit on LWW. I also think RAW/IN The Beginning is a better take on that record. 

Gave it a spin today for the first time in years and it's definitely cringey in places. Dont know how I forgot how political and scathing it was. I actually like the instrumentation on it more than anything else, regardless of the lyrics it's just got some really catchy choruses on it as well. I've never heard the RAW version. It's definitely a great little bit of commentary of that time period and more interesting than a lot of his records. I watched some you tube versions of some of the songs and quite a bit of outrage over some songs. One great video of CSNY playing one of the songs and people booing and leaving. The band looked quite pleased by the mixed response they got.

Post edited by FR181798 on
    Haven't gotten my Craneige Hall-vinyl I ordered last year yet(!). The store says it's suppose to be available in stock again in July. 

Can I trust that?

Or should I nab a (much pricier) copy off discogs?

(on another note, I just bought the following three OBS releases)
    Haven't gotten my Craneige Hall-vinyl I ordered last year yet(!). The store says it's suppose to be available in stock again in July. 

Can I trust that?

I returned a couple of copies to Amazon when it came out as both had crushed corners and now it's proving difficult for me to find for a reasonable price. It seems a bit early to be spending much over the initial price.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

Good, keep going!  :-D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

FR181798 said:

Can I trust that?

I returned a couple of copies to Amazon when it came out as both had crushed corners and now it's proving difficult for me to find for a reasonable price. It seems a bit early to be spending much over the initial price.
    yeah Maybe. Just getting stressed about not getting it, and then them having it in stock again is being pushed (and now ill july....)

So why does the bottom one have severe jpeg artefacts?

And why does it clearly show digital pizelation on the images?

This can not be how the original bootlegs looked?!?

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889

I can't wait for citizen cain jr to be available in the US.  Not even worried about the pixels
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    static111 said:

I can't wait for citizen cain jr to be available in the US.  Not even worried about the pixels
    I wished he would have 

1) found the original photo sources and redone the graphic and done a "spruced up" cover --with also all the photo assets etc looking superior to the original bootleg - JUST LIKE THE AUDIO.

or

2) done some reproscan of the bootleg artwork.

This look like he saved down JPEGs from google... haha...

(Or maybe the original bootlegs look like this......)
    I’m still waiting for my OBS vinyl I ordered from Greedy Hand. It always takes longer to get to Australia though.

My ORS box 4 turned up yesterday. With tongue firmly in cheek, in the spirit of S_C picking on artwork I’ll point out that the sticker on the box says “Historically accurate artwork”:

When, in fact, the sleeve for This Note’s For You isn’t the same as the original. It’s a darker version of the sleeve without The Bluenotes listed:

It still sounds good though!

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    I’m still waiting for my OBS vinyl I ordered from Greedy Hand. It always takes longer to get to Australia though.

My ORS box 4 turned up yesterday. With tongue firmly in cheek, in the spirit of S_C picking on artwork I’ll point out that the sticker on the box says “Historically accurate artwork”:

When, in fact, the sleeve for This Note’s For You isn’t the same as the original. It’s a darker version of the sleeve without The Bluenotes listed:

Is there a history with the cover without "& the Bluenotes" ? He wasn't allowed to use it and had to revise the cover?
    goldrush said:

Is there a history with the cover without "& the Bluenotes" ? He wasn't allowed to use it and had to revise the cover?
    Yeah there was soul band called Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes in the 70s. Melvin took legal action after Neil released the album so he had to change it.

(Tim Rogers)
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:

I wished he would have 

1) found the original photo sources and redone the graphic and done a "spruced up" cover --with also all the photo assets etc looking superior to the original bootleg - JUST LIKE THE AUDIO.

or

So how does Citizen Cain Jr sound?  I had that on cassette in the 90's and loved it but the sound was very muffled.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I wished he would have 

or

So how does Citizen Cain Jr sound?  I had that on cassette in the 90's and loved it but the sound was very muffled.
    Doesn't look good.  This may be a pressing of the actual audience recording.  https://www.discogs.com/release/21874963-Neil-Young-Citizen-Kane-Jr-Blues
    edited May 2022
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

I wished he would have 

or

Haven't listened to them yet. I just got new speakers yesterday that I installed... and all I have listened to since then is On the Beach, KISS Smashes, Trashes & Hits and a swedish forgotten and hard to come by gem of an album.

I CAN'T MAKE THE AUDIO FROM THE TV USING HDMI ARC TO WORK WITH MY RECIEVERS AND THE SPEAKERS THOUGH. DON'T KNOW WHAT IS WRONG.

But wait,  I thought all these were made from Neils archive of multitrack recordings? 
    edited May 2022
    I feeel fooled if these are audience boots? 

The cool things about these release were (to my understanding) that he swapped poor sounding audience boots with quality mixed sound...

I will return these then I think.

Ugly covers AND shit sound?
    edited May 2022
    Four of the six originally-announced OBS releases were from multi track masters, Citizen Kane Jr is not one of them.
    From NYA:

Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    Four of the six originally-announced OBS releases were from multi track masters, Citizen Kane Jr is not one of them.
    From NYA:

Hmm. Should I just buy the multi tracks or be one of those disgusting completists... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,903
    edited May 2022
    Yeah, citizen Kane does sound like a bootleg, but it’s still pretty cool to have. Really wish PJ would do this. I’d love to have a bunch of those old import bootlegs pressed like this.

the quality of the record itself is top notch. Pretty sure it’s RTI. And of course cut by Bellman.
    There was some preorder info for Toast on NYA briefly today, but it’s been taken down now.

The text is taken from an old article about Toast, but the part with the preorder date is new. 
    Let’s see if it reappears…

(Tim Rogers)