*** Pearl Jam San Diego, CA Fanviews 5/3/22 ***

Comments

• teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    The setlist was already posted when I took my seat around 7:10-7:15. There were no audibles. Every song played in that order.

Heres my guess, knowing the venues curfew is 11. They were planning 8:30-11 but the traffic issue may have asked venue if they could extend by 30 minutes. Traffic  probably cleared and they went on at 8:50 and Ed knew he had that 10 minute buffer to tell the stories.

Been to 40+ shows and I had no clue it was only 23 songs. I was thinking they were going to be done at 11 because of the curfew. People who weren’t there complaining makes no sense. With the length of the new songs, sets are going to be 22-26 songs most likely this tour.
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 875
    I was in the pit, we rocked out hard all night, tons of energy where I was by everyone around us. I lost my voice the next morning. Thank you PJ for making my night. Two years waiting to see the best band in the world only minutes from my home. I'll take it any day, anytime!!
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus San Diego Posts: 794
    I do think one key here is that all the songs on Ten and all the songs on Gigaton are over 5 mins.  And the live versions are all over 6 mins.  There are only so many songs that you can play in an hour when they are all over 6 mins long.  To be exact for a 2:45 hour show, you can only physically fit 27 six minute songs in.  And that is with only a 3 minute break for encores and stories.  That's just the reality of the new Gigaton songs.  Expect less songs......Because the new songs are longer than the old songs.

Or they have to put Lukin in every set to skew the results.
    Ha - Ed may need to pivot between Slow Lukin and the orig.  Then again, that would make the Slow Lukin (at MSG2 2010 less rare and folks may get upset...  Not me - would donate an organ to see that one again.  After reading this thread if it wasn't Mother's Day Weekend I'd be on a plane tomorrow from NY for LAx2.  Will just have to wait for Vegas.  As I always say, "every show is a gift" guys. 
    Holy shit, I never knew that existed...totally different song.  Thanks!  Besides this and 'No Jeremy' are there any other good drastically different live versions of their songs out there? 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    I do think one key here is that all the songs on Ten and all the songs on Gigaton are over 5 mins.  And the live versions are all over 6 mins.  There are only so many songs that you can play in an hour when they are all over 6 mins long.  To be exact for a 2:45 hour show, you can only physically fit 27 six minute songs in.  And that is with only a 3 minute break for encores and stories.  That's just the reality of the new Gigaton songs.  Expect less songs......Because the new songs are longer than the old songs.

Ha - Ed may need to pivot between Slow Lukin and the orig.  Then again, that would make the Slow Lukin (at MSG2 2010 less rare and folks may get upset...  Not me - would donate an organ to see that one again.  After reading this thread if it wasn't Mother's Day Weekend I'd be on a plane tomorrow from NY for LAx2.  Will just have to wait for Vegas.  As I always say, "every show is a gift" guys. 
    Holy shit, I never knew that existed...totally different song.  Thanks!  Besides this and 'No Jeremy' are there any other good drastically different live versions of their songs out there? 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1ezfokES1g
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,087
    Jason P said:
    sdclarky said:

Cool photos!  I'm going to post this one in the "musicians" forum because I need to know what gear is on the floor / stand next the MC drum kit.

Wish I could have been there!
    The keyboards? Looks like Moog Taurus bass pedals and a moog keyboard of some sort 
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • tombellancatombellanca Posts: 117
    Jason P said:
    sdclarky said:

Cool photos!  I'm going to post this one in the "musicians" forum because I need to know what gear is on the floor / stand next the MC drum kit.

The keyboards? Looks like Moog Taurus bass pedals and a moog keyboard of some sort 

That what Jeff plays for Dance of the Clairvoyant 
    6/24/95, 11/4/95, 11/7/95, 7/10/98, 7/12/98, 7/13/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/27/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/7/06. 7/9/06, 7/10/06
    Jason P said:
    sdclarky said:

That what Jeff plays for Dance of the Clairvoyant 
    Yep. Used the Taurus a few other times too
  • Charlie_modCharlie_mod Posts: 110
    DEGBTI said:
    I was in the pit, we rocked out hard all night, tons of energy where I was by everyone around us. I lost my voice the next morning. Thank you PJ for making my night. Two years waiting to see the best band in the world only minutes from my home. I'll take it any day, anytime!!
    Any Day, Any Time!!

Was there. Ed talked a lot. No prob. Im an sd kid & sdsu grad so enjoyed the local chit chat vibe. 
    Lookin forward to upcoming shows. 
    FnEH!!
    Enjoy it. Lifes too short

edited May 2022
    Double post…
  • danlee1095danlee1095 Posts: 982

I feel “Slow Lukin” is a masterpiece // totally haunting and incredible vocal by Ed.  On your question, I’m sure there are others as dramatically different as normal Lukin vs Slow, but nothing really comes to mind.  Some other alt versions are the 03 versions of “In My Tree” (09 Philly is more my style - my favorite boot ever) and 06 “Garden” (again, regular version better IMO).
    9/8/98 (NJ), 9/10/98 (NY), 8/23/00 (NY), 8/24/00 (NY), 8/25/00 (NY), 4/30/03 (NY), 7/8/03 (NY), 7/9/03 (NY), 5/12/06 (NY), 6/1/06 (NJ), 6/3/06 (NJ), 8/5/07 (IL), 6/22/08 (DC), 6/24/08 (NY), 6/25/08 (NY), 7/1/08 (NY), 10/4/09 (TX ), 10/30/09 (PA), 5/20/10 (NY), 5/21/10 (NY), 9/3/11 (WI), 9/4/11 (WI), 7/19/13 (IL), 10/18/13 (NY), 10/19/13 (NY), 10/3/14 (MO), 9/23/15 (NY), 9/26/15 (NY), 5/1/16 (NY), 5/2/16 (NY), 8/5/16 (MA), 8/22/16 (IL), 4/7/17 (NY), 6/18/18 (UK), 8/20/18 (IL), 9/2/18 (MA), 9/4/18 (MA), 9/18/21 (NJ), 9/26/21 (CA), 10/1/21 (CA), 10/2/21 (CA), 9/10/22 (NY), 9/11/22 (NY), 9/14/22 (NJ), 9/16/22 (TN), 9/22/22 (CO), 8/31/23 (MN), 9/2/23 (MN), 9/5/23 (IL), 9/7/23 (IL)
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,105

I feel “Slow Lukin” is a masterpiece // totally haunting and incredible vocal by Ed.  On your question, I’m sure there are others as dramatically different as normal Lukin vs Slow, but nothing really comes to mind.  Some other alt versions are the 03 versions of “In My Tree” (09 Philly is more my style - my favorite boot ever) and 06 “Garden” (again, regular version better IMO).
    Slow lukin is one of my favorite moments ever from a live show. It came out of nowhere, took me a few seconds to recognize what it was, and it was just incredible. That whole show was amazing. I will always feel incredibly fortunate to have been there for that one. Out of the 20 some odd shows I’ve been to, that MSG show is my second favorite. The only one I’d put ahead of it is spectrum night 3- my favorite setlist I’ve seen and I doubt the energy in the building that night could ever be replicated. 
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,034

There is a drastically different Corduroy from a Bridge show years ago.
  • tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 879
    PJNB said:
    100 Pacer said:
    @given2fly23 waiting on your review.
    Ha, thanks bud. My GF asked me for my 2-3 highlights and this is what I wrote back…
    “Long Road in the middle of the set was beautiful. Dedicated his brother who passed away. The Footsteps-Once-Alive trilogy was awesome because it was actually written here and I think it’s the first time they did it here. In general it was a shorter set and full of hits, but part of me is glad we got it out of our system. Not sure we would’ve enjoyed deep cuts any more than hits last night cuz we were already at max stoke! I teared up and started bouncing as soon as the lights went down. The guy in front of me turned around and goes “you are jacked up!” He didn’t last through half the set.”
    LMAO 

Can't wait to see that energy at the last shows of the tour man. 
    That’s my church man. After 107 shows, I still get the same butterflies of excitement waiting for the band to walk out as I did at Soldier Field for my first concert ever. Standing next to my brother in our wing seats (thank you @Rubysdad and 10C!) feels like home. 
    I know I’ll be the same way. Butterflies, the shakes. I’m so ready I’ve needed this since Boston 18. So ready for Oakland. Let’s go! 
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,307

• ShanKathyShanKathy Edmonton, Alberta Posts: 308
    I wonder if there was significance to putting 23 songs on the set list. Isn’t 23 a number that is meaningful to Eddie and maybe he wanted to use it in his hometown show?
  • BrindaBrinda Posts: 5
    My 15th time seeing them. Can I create a female fan board? I mean between Ohana and this show it's 85 % white dudes. That's fine. I'm Bipoc. Where is the PJ diversity at?

• BrindaBrinda Posts: 5
    I love PJ so much. My first concert was PJ on 4/8/94 the day Kurt Cobain died. He was so sad of course I can't explain it. I love PJ.
  • danlee1095danlee1095 Posts: 982
    steven87 said:

Slow lukin is one of my favorite moments ever from a live show. It came out of nowhere, took me a few seconds to recognize what it was, and it was just incredible. That whole show was amazing. I will always feel incredibly fortunate to have been there for that one. Out of the 20 some odd shows I’ve been to, that MSG show is my second favorite. The only one I’d put ahead of it is spectrum night 3- my favorite setlist I’ve seen and I doubt the energy in the building that night could ever be replicated. 
    My top 2 shows too @steven87!  I go back and forth between which one I liked more.  Right now it's the Philly show // setlist basically perfect.

9/8/98 (NJ), 9/10/98 (NY), 8/23/00 (NY), 8/24/00 (NY), 8/25/00 (NY), 4/30/03 (NY), 7/8/03 (NY), 7/9/03 (NY), 5/12/06 (NY), 6/1/06 (NJ), 6/3/06 (NJ), 8/5/07 (IL), 6/22/08 (DC), 6/24/08 (NY), 6/25/08 (NY), 7/1/08 (NY), 10/4/09 (TX ), 10/30/09 (PA), 5/20/10 (NY), 5/21/10 (NY), 9/3/11 (WI), 9/4/11 (WI), 7/19/13 (IL), 10/18/13 (NY), 10/19/13 (NY), 10/3/14 (MO), 9/23/15 (NY), 9/26/15 (NY), 5/1/16 (NY), 5/2/16 (NY), 8/5/16 (MA), 8/22/16 (IL), 4/7/17 (NY), 6/18/18 (UK), 8/20/18 (IL), 9/2/18 (MA), 9/4/18 (MA), 9/18/21 (NJ), 9/26/21 (CA), 10/1/21 (CA), 10/2/21 (CA), 9/10/22 (NY), 9/11/22 (NY), 9/14/22 (NJ), 9/16/22 (TN), 9/22/22 (CO), 8/31/23 (MN), 9/2/23 (MN), 9/5/23 (IL), 9/7/23 (IL)
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,105
    steven87 said:

My top 2 shows too @steven87!  I go back and forth between which one I liked more.  Right now it's the Philly show // setlist basically perfect.

The main set at Philly was so good that I remember sitting there during the encore break thinking there was no way the show could get any better. And then they proved me wrong by playing parting ways (my favorite song), breath, and light years during the first encore. I’ll never get tired of listening to that boot. 
    Brinda said:
    My 15th time seeing them. Can I create a female fan board? I mean between Ohana and this show it's 85 % white dudes. That's fine. I'm Bipoc. Where is the PJ diversity at?

Amen!!! I'm a female fan
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    While there, I noticed that Ed talked a lot and the concert was 2h45min long.  I didn't realize how many songs, though it felt 1-2 short just due to the talking.  I did expect 1 more after alive for sure. I also expected more of the talk to be around the war in Ukraine and Roe v Wade.  Certainly expected some protest songs.  Being the opener show and with an opening act, I had expectations of a 26 song, 2.5 hour show.  So wasn't that far off.

But none of that mattered at all.  Being in the Pit you could see just how happy most of the band was to be there...really had a great mood to it.  I was surprised by 8 Gigaton songs, but I expected 5-6...so not that big of a surprise and to be honest I was damn happy about it.  Each one was my first time getting to hear it and after 40 some concerts it's always a joy to hear new songs.  And I really loved most of the Gigaton songs live.  

It was, for me, an amazing night and celebration of music after being away so long.  Loved every second of it.  I felt fortunate to be there amongst the fans.  Can't wait to see them again in Sept. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    Anybody know the significance of Ed saying "6 23 9 11" during Quick Escape?
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    Brinda said:
    I love PJ so much. My first concert was PJ on 4/8/94 the day Kurt Cobain died. He was so sad of course I can't explain it. I love PJ.
    That was my first show as well at the Patriot Center. It was amazing. I am a woman who posts on this forum all the time. There are many of us on here. Hope you will join us.

• sdclarkysdclarky Posts: 21
    Brinda said:
    Minor fix.
    The day Kurt was found, not died.
    While there, I noticed that Ed talked a lot and the concert was 2h45min long.  I didn't realize how many songs, though it felt 1-2 short just due to the talking.  I did expect 1 more after alive for sure. I also expected more of the talk to be around the war in Ukraine and Roe v Wade.  Certainly expected some protest songs.  Being the opener show and with an opening act, I had expectations of a 26 song, 2.5 hour show.  So wasn't that far off.

But none of that mattered at all.  Being in the Pit you could see just how happy most of the band was to be there...really had a great mood to it.  I was surprised by 8 Gigaton songs, but I expected 5-6...so not that big of a surprise and to be honest I was damn happy about it.  Each one was my first time getting to hear it and after 40 some concerts it's always a joy to hear new songs.  And I really loved most of the Gigaton songs live.  

It was, for me, an amazing night and celebration of music after being away so long.  Loved every second of it.  I felt fortunate to be there amongst the fans.  Can't wait to see them again in Sept. 
    Yeah, nothing about abortion per se (prepare yourself LA), except Ed putting down Republicans and Jeff putting on the orange 'Choices' t-shirt at the end.  And then there was the Ukraine flag on the video monitors for a song.  

And I agree with you...it was a fantastic show, but the only problem for me was that since I went to the three Ohana shows I already saw the 8 songs, so I got zero new ones.  Though I wouldn't mind if they played a two and a half hour version of Quick Escape every night!  It's such a great song and so fun to do a plodding slow dance to.  :)
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    Anybody know the significance of Ed saying "6 23 9 11" during Quick Escape?
    Id like to know this 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072

Yeah, nothing about abortion per se (prepare yourself LA), except Ed putting down Republicans and Jeff putting on the orange 'Choices' t-shirt at the end.  And then there was the Ukraine flag on the video monitors for a song.  

And I agree with you...it was a fantastic show, but the only problem for me was that since I went to the three Ohana shows I already saw the 8 songs, so I got zero new ones.  Though I wouldn't mind if they played a two and a half hour version of Quick Escape every night!  It's such a great song and so fun to do a plodding slow dance to.  :)
    Yup I did see the Jeff shirt change and knew what it was.  I however did not see the flag as I never looked at the screens really...which song.
    hippiemom = goodness