Options

*** Pearl Jam San Diego, CA Fanviews 5/3/22 ***

1235»

Comments

• Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    Anybody know the significance of Ed saying "6 23 9 11" during Quick Escape?
    Are we sure that's what he said? I remember it being kind of mumbled, but it didn't come across as dates/numbers to me when hearing it live.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    devonfzdevonfz Posts: 144
    I kind of agree with everybody who's posted on this one the band was extremely tight they look good they we're on fire playing and the sound was flawless they just keep sounding better and better but the set list especially for people traveling are getting a little redundant this is basically the same show they played at Ohana highlights for me were amongst the waves and Jeremy I just wish they would play some shorter songs like go and animal that really fill out the setlist with a few more choices other than that a great show but I was planning on 5 California shows and now I think I'm going to sell and scale back to 3
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,881
    While there, I noticed that Ed talked a lot and the concert was 2h45min long.  I didn't realize how many songs, though it felt 1-2 short just due to the talking.  I did expect 1 more after alive for sure. I also expected more of the talk to be around the war in Ukraine and Roe v Wade.  Certainly expected some protest songs.  Being the opener show and with an opening act, I had expectations of a 26 song, 2.5 hour show.  So wasn't that far off.

But none of that mattered at all.  Being in the Pit you could see just how happy most of the band was to be there...really had a great mood to it.  I was surprised by 8 Gigaton songs, but I expected 5-6...so not that big of a surprise and to be honest I was damn happy about it.  Each one was my first time getting to hear it and after 40 some concerts it's always a joy to hear new songs.  And I really loved most of the Gigaton songs live.  

It was, for me, an amazing night and celebration of music after being away so long.  Loved every second of it.  I felt fortunate to be there amongst the fans.  Can't wait to see them again in Sept. 
    Yeah, nothing about abortion per se (prepare yourself LA), except Ed putting down Republicans and Jeff putting on the orange 'Choices' t-shirt at the end.  And then there was the Ukraine flag on the video monitors for a song.  

And I agree with you...it was a fantastic show, but the only problem for me was that since I went to the three Ohana shows I already saw the 8 songs, so I got zero new ones.  Though I wouldn't mind if they played a two and a half hour version of Quick Escape every night!  It's such a great song and so fun to do a plodding slow dance to.  :)
    Yup I did see the Jeff shirt change and knew what it was.  I however did not see the flag as I never looked at the screens really...which song.
    River Cross
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    PJammin' said:
    DEGBTI said:

This is an awesome picture! Thanks for sharing it. 😍

Also, I think some fans need to take a step back. Pearl Jam gives us their heart and soul at every tour stop and some people just want more, more, more. It’s pretty sad actually. Maybe some of you shouldn’t see as many shows as you do. You sound too spoiled. 

Great pic
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,775
    PJammin' said:
    DEGBTI said:

Also, I think some fans need to take a step back. Pearl Jam gives us their heart and soul at every tour stop and some people just want more, more, more. It’s pretty sad actually. Maybe some of you shouldn’t see as many shows as you do. You sound too spoiled. 

You tell 'em pal. Although I think it was a little Ten heavy myself but I know you will still love me even after saying that.  Miss you!!!
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    While there, I noticed that Ed talked a lot and the concert was 2h45min long.  I didn't realize how many songs, though it felt 1-2 short just due to the talking.  I did expect 1 more after alive for sure. I also expected more of the talk to be around the war in Ukraine and Roe v Wade.  Certainly expected some protest songs.  Being the opener show and with an opening act, I had expectations of a 26 song, 2.5 hour show.  So wasn't that far off.

But none of that mattered at all.  Being in the Pit you could see just how happy most of the band was to be there...really had a great mood to it.  I was surprised by 8 Gigaton songs, but I expected 5-6...so not that big of a surprise and to be honest I was damn happy about it.  Each one was my first time getting to hear it and after 40 some concerts it's always a joy to hear new songs.  And I really loved most of the Gigaton songs live.  

It was, for me, an amazing night and celebration of music after being away so long.  Loved every second of it.  I felt fortunate to be there amongst the fans.  Can't wait to see them again in Sept. 
    Yeah, nothing about abortion per se (prepare yourself LA), except Ed putting down Republicans and Jeff putting on the orange 'Choices' t-shirt at the end.  And then there was the Ukraine flag on the video monitors for a song.  

And I agree with you...it was a fantastic show, but the only problem for me was that since I went to the three Ohana shows I already saw the 8 songs, so I got zero new ones.  Though I wouldn't mind if they played a two and a half hour version of Quick Escape every night!  It's such a great song and so fun to do a plodding slow dance to.  :)
    Yup I did see the Jeff shirt change and knew what it was.  I however did not see the flag as I never looked at the screens really...which song.
    River Cross
    Thanks 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Great start, and you can tell there'll be plenty more to come. Oceans opening the tour? Mid-set Long Road? Reverse Mamasan closes it? Plenty of musical highlights and stories to tell beyond them.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    pistol3pistol3 CO Posts: 159
    Brinda said:
    My 15th time seeing them. Can I create a female fan board? I mean between Ohana and this show it's 85 % white dudes. That's fine. I'm Bipoc. Where is the PJ diversity at?

Wouldn’t creating a female fan board be counter-productive to having diversity? BTW, I think talking to female PJ fans is more fun than other male fans. One reason I married who I married.
    VA Beach 8/3/00, Council Bluffs 6/13/03, St. Paul 6/16/03, East Troy 6/21/03, The Gorge 7/22/06, 7/23/06, Chicago 8/23/09, KC 5/3/10, St. Louis 5/4/10, Dublin 6/22/10, Belfast 6/23/10, London 6/25/10, EV Minneapolis 7/2/11, EV Tulsa 11/18/12, Chicago 7/19/13, OKC 11/16/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Pemberton 7/17/16, Missoula 8/13/18, San Diego 5/3/22
  • Options
    julieferjuliefer New Westminster, BC Posts: 379
    pistol3 said:
    Brinda said:
    My 15th time seeing them. Can I create a female fan board? I mean between Ohana and this show it's 85 % white dudes. That's fine. I'm Bipoc. Where is the PJ diversity at?

Wouldn’t creating a female fan board be counter-productive to having diversity? BTW, I think talking to female PJ fans is more fun than other male fans. One reason I married who I married.
    No, it wouldn't be counter productive, it would give the non- white male fans a space to build community without getting talked over and mansplained to. Not saying that all the white male majority does this, but it's definitely an issue.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,774
    juliefer said:
    pistol3 said:
    Brinda said:

No, it wouldn't be counter productive, it would give the non- white male fans a space to build community without getting talked over and mansplained to. Not saying that all the white male majority does this, but it's definitely an issue.
    Lol. 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,948
    I found a female  pj fan to be with and have a pj baby. Its been great 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,538
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    juliefer said:
    pistol3 said:
    Brinda said:

Seriously, it’s an issue on here? In what way? Would love to get some examples, unless you’re just pushing a personal and societal agenda into a “place” that it doesn’t really fit.
    VA Beach 8/3/00, Council Bluffs 6/13/03, St. Paul 6/16/03, East Troy 6/21/03, The Gorge 7/22/06, 7/23/06, Chicago 8/23/09, KC 5/3/10, St. Louis 5/4/10, Dublin 6/22/10, Belfast 6/23/10, London 6/25/10, EV Minneapolis 7/2/11, EV Tulsa 11/18/12, Chicago 7/19/13, OKC 11/16/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Pemberton 7/17/16, Missoula 8/13/18, San Diego 5/3/22
  • Options
    I found a female  pj fan to be with and have a pj baby. Its been great 
    Same! Two PJ babies!
  • Options
    @pistol3 I'm not trying to push a personal agenda or derail the fanview thread. I was just answering a question from my own point of view. If it doesn't match yours, that's fine, no need to get upset. If you want specific examples, just keep an eye out on the forum and you'll come across them.
  • Options
    I wasn't sure what to expect for the San Diego show because of all the uncertainty involved in getting to this point, but it was as good as I could have hoped. It felt like coming home again, and while I think that the setlist was one that I would have been disappointed with in the "before times" because of so many familiar tunes, after waiting 2 years, I actually enjoyed some of the big hits the most. It was so intense to be in a large crowd again with everyone singing along and being in the moment and it was a great start to the tour. Oceans was the perfect opener, and Long Road was so beautiful and it brought me to tears when everyone had their "lighters" glowing. Just amazing. (I will also add that as Canadians travelling by plane into the US for the first time in over two years, there were a ton of hoops to jump through and things that could have wrecked all our plans even up to the last minute, so it was a huge relief to even get to the show. It was totally worth all the stress and extra trouble involved in planning the trip.)
  • Options
    juliefer said:
    @pistol3 I'm not trying to push a personal agenda or derail the fanview thread. I was just answering a question from my own point of view. If it doesn't match yours, that's fine, no need to get upset. If you want specific examples, just keep an eye out on the forum and you'll come across them.
    I’m sorry if things come across that negatively, that sucks. But honestly I will keep an eye out, it’s not like I have the same perspective, but I do care about the subject.
  • Options
    ianh42ianh42 Posts: 200
    A bit of a late post here given the SD show was almost a week ago now, but I just have to say how awesome this week was with 3 PJ shows in 5 days!  A huge THANKS to the Fan Club and an even bigger one to the Band.  Eddie puts his heart and soul into every show, and for him and the rest of the guys to do this at such a high level after all of these years blows my mind.  Thank you thank you thank you!!!

The SD show had such a family feel to it and the familiarity of the venue they've played many times now was great.  My wife and I were able to take her cousin to her first PJ show ever and she loved it.  Her hubby is a PJ die hard so we had a blast.  I loved the set list and was thrilled with the Oceans opener, Amongst the Waves, a moving Long Road with the touching and heartbreaking story, super energetic versions of Corduroy, Given To Fly, Porch and Even Flow, loved all of the new ones and especially Who Ever Said, and then to finish with the Trilogy...WOW!

I hope we don't have 8+ years in between SD/LA shows again, but I'm so grateful and know that I'm privileged to be able to have seen them as much as I have.  I hope all going to the upcoming shows enjoy half as much as I did!
    Living in a SOLAT...SJ 11/95 SD 11/95 BB 10/96 Oak 11/97 SD 7/98 LA 7/98 BB 10/99 LV 10/00 San B 10/00 Irvine 6/03 SD 6/03 LA 7/06 Fonda 7/06 SB 7/06 DC 6/08 LA 9-30 10-6 & 10-7-09 SD 10-9-09 SD 11/13 LA1&2 11/13 MIL 10/14 OHANA FEST 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021 (EV, PJ and PJ Encore 1) SD 5/3/22 LA 5/6/22 LA 5/7/22 Fresno 5/16/22

ISO Tickets for Los Angeles both nights...I got shut out of the 2024 Ten Club tickets :-(
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,720
    PJammin' said:
    DEGBTI said:

You tell 'em pal. Although I think it was a little Ten heavy myself but I know you will still love me even after saying that.  Miss you!!!
    Yes I will. Miss you too. ❤️
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    SS657083SS657083 Posts: 123

There are a lot of great photos and videos from SD.  But I really love this one.  Josh standing there with a huge smile on his face watching the set.  And I really enjoy the sound and backup vocals he adds live.
  • Options
    I do think one key here is that all the songs on Ten and all the songs on Gigaton are over 5 mins.  And the live versions are all over 6 mins.  There are only so many songs that you can play in an hour when they are all over 6 mins long.  To be exact for a 2:45 hour show, you can only physically fit 27 six minute songs in.  And that is with only a 3 minute break for encores and stories.  That's just the reality of the new Gigaton songs.  Expect less songs......Because the new songs are longer than the old songs.

Or they have to put Lukin in every set to skew the results.
    Ha - Ed may need to pivot between Slow Lukin and the orig.  Then again, that would make the Slow Lukin (at MSG2 2010 less rare and folks may get upset...  Not me - would donate an organ to see that one again.  After reading this thread if it wasn't Mother's Day Weekend I'd be on a plane tomorrow from NY for LAx2.  Will just have to wait for Vegas.  As I always say, "every show is a gift" guys. 
    Holy shit, I never knew that existed...totally different song.  Thanks!  Besides this and 'No Jeremy' are there any other good drastically different live versions of their songs out there? 
    There are alternate Corduroys and Better Mans (Better Men?)
  • Options
    clarwillclarwill SE Idaho Posts: 3
    I thought the show was amazing! Waited two years, traveled from SE Idaho and loved every minute! Was set to see them in Vegas Friday and ….well….shit….
  • Options
    Charlie_modCharlie_mod Posts: 110