*** Pearl Jam San Diego, CA Fanviews 5/3/22 ***

Comments

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,601
    DEGBTI said:
    just getting to work this morning. Show was amazing. Had second row GA right in front of Mike, so sick. Some people complaining about set list or not enough songs, I get it. But the show itself was on fire! My ears are ringing big time right now, but so happy. Was able to bring two of my boys, one his first pj concert. Actually his first ever concert. He was blown away. They sounded amazing, lots of energy, all good. On to LA to do it a couple more times! 
    Any pick scores? Great spot. Glad you and family had a blast.
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 875
    Loujoe said:
    DEGBTI said:
    just getting to work this morning. Show was amazing. Had second row GA right in front of Mike, so sick. Some people complaining about set list or not enough songs, I get it. But the show itself was on fire! My ears are ringing big time right now, but so happy. Was able to bring two of my boys, one his first pj concert. Actually his first ever concert. He was blown away. They sounded amazing, lots of energy, all good. On to LA to do it a couple more times! 
    Any pick scores? Great spot. Glad you and family had a blast.
    We did! multiple picks! thank you!
  • UglymanUglyman Posts: 75
    Ok, I don’t know if this happened at any other show but maybe I didn’t notice at Ohana…Ed had a backing track. I think it was Dance of Clairvoyants. Josh was singing back up but Ed stopped signing to interact and I heard him still singing. Is this new?
    You can come to terms and realize you're the only one who cannot forgive yourself.
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,327
    Uglyman said:
    Ok, I don’t know if this happened at any other show but maybe I didn’t notice at Ohana…Ed had a backing track. I think it was Dance of Clairvoyants. Josh was singing back up but Ed stopped signing to interact and I heard him still singing. Is this new?
    Yes. He uses a looping pedal on Dance of the Clairvoyants. I think others pointed this out during the SHN shows.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    edited May 2022
    Crowd looked DEAD during DOC. How were some of the other gigaton songs received? 
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus San Diego Posts: 794
    edited May 2022
    Another great show (my 17th since 1998, including the 3 Ohana's), with a good setlist...however, I guess I need to cut back on shows, because last night was the first time ever that I did not get to hear at least one new PJ song.  All I got that was new to me was the pre show opening cover. 

I am hoping LA serves up something a bit different than last night's Ten (6 songs) and Gigaton (8 songs) heavy show (they made up 60% of the setlist).  That being said, in LA I would love to hear Release as it's been a while since they've played that, and I'm still searching for Deep for the first time.  And of course, I'd love to hear the debut of Comes Than Goes.  I wish they would've just played Gigaton straight through in order last night.

Highlights included the Oceans opener, Quick Escape (I'll take that every night!) followed by Long Road, and I got the reverse Mamasan Trilogy for the first time.  

Ed was very very talkative (as I expected he would be).  I think he could've tightened it up just a bit though and cranked out another 2-3 songs.  Hell, the show before that (Ohana #3) had three more songs than last night, and it was a festival show.

Overall, a fantastic show as always, but it sounds like I'm not alone in that those of us who are spoiled by having seen a good amount of shows (including the Ohana shows), may have been a tad more disappointed in last night's show than usual.  

That being said, KEEP ON ROCKING PEARL JAM, there is still nobody that can do it better!
    Post edited by Spartanacus on
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 875
    no RITFW for the fist time in a while for me. Im ok with that
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,087
    Uglyman said:
    Yes. He uses a looping pedal on Dance of the Clairvoyants. I think others pointed this out during the SHN shows.
    Was he the one doing the looping? They were definitely done live but couldn’t tell if he was the one hitting them
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • KCjamKCjam Posts: 135
    This looks like a great setlist to me. 
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    Great show, was about 5 to 7 people back between Ed & Mike.walked in around 6:45pm. 
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Besides the new songs, as well as footsteps, once and long road it looks like a pretty boring show. Same old songs.

Why not just take out the 10-20 most over played songs and play something else.

So many good songs that are never or rarely played.

I miss 2003.
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    Incredible night! This is the only one of the three SoCal PJ shows this week for which I'm not in GA, but I had a perfect seat in the second row of the risers right next to the floor. I was happy to see Eddie return to playing a solo song prior to the opener; it's a special touch that gives us early-goers even more to look forward to, and hopefully it gets more people in their seats for Josh's set moving forward.

As others have said, Eddie commented about being about 15 minutes late, so it sounds like a start time of around 8:30 is going to be their goal for this tour. This was my 21st PJ show overall (my first was in 1998), and I've never seen Eddie talk so much. That was perfectly fine by me. It's clear that San Diego hometown shows are very special to him, which makes perfect sense given that his mom/family was in the audience and there is a memorial to his deceased brother up in the rafters. More than possibly any show I've been to, this felt like an intimate, "we are all family" gig, so I'm really glad I was able to be a part of it.

Lots of Gigaton. The songs are sounding great live! Highlights among those for me were Retrograde (which I expected to be buzzkill live but really wasn't), Never Destination, Who Ever Said, and DOTC. DOTC has been awesome every time I've seen it, and I really think it deserves to be a staple in setlists for years to come. Seven O'Clock isn't nearly as energetic but it's really powerful live too, and Ed said it was his favorite on the new album, so expect to hear that one plenty moving forward.

Other highlights: Given to Fly (always), Footsteps, Once (near the end of the set was cool), Long Road (mid-set and with a touching intro about Ed's brother), Corduroy (first song that really got the crowd going), Alive (love that energy as the closing song).

I suppose it was a little disappointing to not get to add any new songs to my personal tracklist, but after 21 shows (including all of the Ohana ones last year), it's not all that surprising. For whatever people are saying about the length of the show/setlist, 2 hours 45 minutes is a hell of a long show and FAR LONGER that those of just about any other band on earth right now. The band was plenty energetic, Ed was dancing and running around all night, Mike was shredding...it's actually damn impressive that they can maintain that level of energy for that long.

The only real letdown, honestly, was some of the people around me. The guy in the row in front of me who was clearly drunk and took about 20 piss breaks and also sat down for every single Gigaton song in what seemed to be some sort of personal protest; the couple also in the row in front of me who spent half the show sucking face; the middle-aged woman in the front row of the non-GA floor who kept trying to run into the pit (she even started massaging the shoulders of the clearly disgusted young security guy in an attempt to coax him to let her in); the dude behind me who fell asleep (he was older, so I can't be too mad at that one)...I hope things are better in that regard in the pit Friday/Saturday.

Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
    Red Lukin said:
    Besides the new songs, as well as footsteps, once and long road it looks like a pretty boring show. Same old songs.

Why not just take out the 10-20 most over played songs and play something else.

So many good songs that are never or rarely played.

I miss 2003.
    Because not every fan -- nor the majority of them -- have been going to shows since 2003 nor have seen them as many times as you have.

I have some friends and family attending the show in LA on Saturday who will be seeing PJ for the first time, and they would have loved this type of setlist as opposed to one with a bunch of obscure and non-hit tracks.

I've been to PJ shows that feature a broader selection of deep cuts, and those have been the *least* energetic shows I've attended.

Fans have become so obsessed with the "specialness" of being in attendance for a rare song or five that it's like all other songs are trash to them.

GTF, Alive, Corduroy, Evenflow were the songs that were the most energetic and most well-received by the audience as a whole last night. That energy needs to be part of a set. As much as I love hearing a rare or obscure track, I'm not self-focused enough to believe that a whole show of them would best for the performance as a whole.

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • WMAmoricanWMAmorican Posts: 208
    So no written setlist has surfaced yet? I've got to believe they cut a few songs and, presumably, ones that would have been more interesting to the die-hards.
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,087
    edited May 2022
    Listening back I think the highlight for me was Who Ever Said > Quick Escape. Both songs felt really fresh and the crowd seemed to dig them.

of the new songs I actually felt like DOTC fell the most flat. Retrograde was great. I like rivers cross, but it needs to be in a first encore position. Felt weird in that long encore between general fan favorites 
    Post edited by opsopcopolis on
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • DE4173DE4173 Posts: 319
    So no written setlist has surfaced yet? I've got to believe they cut a few songs and, presumably, ones that would have been more interesting to the die-hards.

1993: 11/22 Little Rock
    1996; 9/28 New York
    1997: 11/14 Oakland, 11/15 Oakland
    1998: 7/5 Dallas, 7/7 Albuquerque, 7/8 Phoenix, 7/10 San Diego, 7/11 Las Vegas
    2000: 10/17 Dallas
    2003: 4/3 OKC
    2012: 11/17 Tulsa(EV), 11/18 Tulsa(EV)
    2013: 11/16 OKC
    2014: 10/8 Tulsa
    2022: 9/20 OKC
    2023: 9/13 Ft Worth, 9/15 Ft Worth
  • meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,554
    I had a great vantage point — single seat in the first row of the raised up seats.  Loved being a foot or two above the floor seats and still close.  

No Pearl Jam show is bad.  This was a terrific, fun show.  I enjoy the Ed tangents myself.  I would have liked to have seen a two or three song last set, but I think that was the 15 minutes of traffic jam or whatever.  I am hoping for more songs in LA, and I doubt there will be as many stories.

I don’t know about you all, but I find it really touching when Ed introduces his mother in San Diego, and then plays Better Man with her more or less still spotlighted, and then later they do Alive with her in the house.  It just is so cool to see.

Looking forward to LA 1 and 2 later this week!  Take care.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • WMAmoricanWMAmorican Posts: 208
    DE4173 said:

Wow, the exact 23...I stand corrected! (Hoping they at least get into the high 20s by the time they hit Jokeland next week...) 
  • LinefamLinefam Posts: 10
    I knew shows would be shorter now having a warm up act for first time since about 2010.  Can we please have a set where Even Flow is not played?  Good to see Footsteps making an appearance.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Linefam said:
    I knew shows would be shorter now having a warm up act for first time since about 2010.  Can we please have a set where Even Flow is not played?  Good to see Footsteps making an appearance.

I don't think having an opener impacts anything. They did have an opener for the west coast portion of the 2013 tour, and those were still some of their longest shows ever. Maybe they are just getting a tad too old to go longer than 2 hr 45 min? Hahaha, just saying that seems silly. It's such a long show still! I actually think 3hr+ shows are TOO long at this point... the band is getting older, and so are the fans! The crowd tends to lose quite a bit of steam by the end of those real marathon shows IMO.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 489
    Linefam said:
    The opener has nothing to do with it. Josh is playing solo, his equipment is set up in the middle of the already set up band. It takes no time to remove him and then the stage is already basically set. He’s just killing empty time that they wouldn’t be onstage anyway. 
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    Weird no second encore, let alone a third.  were they up against a curfew?
  • OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 598
    They played ~ 35 min past 11 pm curfew.
    mr bungle said:
    Weird no second encore, let alone a third.  were they up against a curfew?
    According to the Viejas website, they have an 11 pm curfew for all events: https://as.sdsu.edu/viejas_arena/guide

So either PJ was given a special exemption, or they went well over curfew.

They played ~ 35 min past 11 pm curfew.
    OK. They clearly planned on Eddie doing a lot of talking then.  Kind of sounds like Seattle 1 2018.  Lot's of Ed storytelling/hometown reminiscing.  The next night was a knock down drag em out PJ show.
    edited May 2022
    The 23 song set with nothing crossed off has me worried for LA. Is 20-24 songs like we saw in 2021 the new norm? 23 songs with a mix of new and old, fan favorites, classics, and rareties is more than fine by me - I understand they can't play 3 hour shows forever - but it's tough when 35% of the show is composed of stuff from the new albums. They've built a reputation on long sets and variety. Without those elements, (this pains me to say) they could become "just another band" to a lot of people.
    Post edited by droptheleash9 on
    Nah.  I really believe that the number of songs will gradually grow.  They will be in the 27-30 range by the end of the leg.  
    mr bungle said:
    Nah.  I really believe that the number of songs will gradually grow.  They will be in the 27-30 range by the end of the leg.  
    I hope so. I'm optimistic it will. The band needed to warm up and get loose is what I'm telling myself. Can't just come out the first night with a 30 song blazer! I'm hopeful for 25-27 songs for the LA shows with what has become the standard 2 encores.
  • CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,225
    Excited for September!  
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • craigraethercraigraether Posts: 1,048
    The 23 song set with nothing crossed off has me worried for LA. Is 20-24 songs like we saw in 2021 the new norm? 23 songs with a mix of new and old, fan favorites, classics, and rareties is more than fine by me - I understand they can't play 3 hour shows forever - but it's tough when 35% of the show is composed of stuff from the new albums. They've built a reputation on long sets and variety. Without those elements, (this pains me to say) they could become "just another band" to a lot of people.
    maybe they are grooming the fans to hit every show... Fresno needs some love.. 23 songs per night x4 shows is a lot of songs