Seattle Homelessness

12346»

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited January 2021
    modern capitalism is so wonderful.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    The Tiny Homes pilot project opened this week in Victoria. This involves tiny homes constructed in shipping containers for 30 previously-homeless people on a vacant city lot in a residential neighbourhood. Communal bathrooms with showers are provided. It's looking like a really good idea for a city with horrendous housing costs.

Here's a 3 minute video on the project:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/488364518
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    The Tiny Homes pilot project opened this week in Victoria. This involves tiny homes constructed in shipping containers for 30 previously-homeless people on a vacant city lot in a residential neighbourhood. Communal bathrooms with showers are provided. It's looking like a really good idea for a city with horrendous housing costs.

Here's a 3 minute video on the project:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/488364518
    Great idea yes as long as it's not in your neighborhood.

I passed by one of these in Seattle.  It looked harmless enough but my sister whom lives there said otherwise.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    LA has set up similar areas/communities. The issue I see is with those who desperately need help on the mental/addiction fronts, and housing or the lack thereof has little to do with it. Someone living on Skid Row or Venice Beach, out of their mind, won’t fare any better in a small house if they don’t want, understand or use it. 

The amount of related crimes has doubled and even tripled in some areas, from assaults (both armed and not) to theft to home invasions. It’s incredibly sad and angering, for so many reasons. 
    hedonist said:
    LA has set up similar areas/communities. The issue I see is with those who desperately need help on the mental/addiction fronts, and housing or the lack thereof has little to do with it. Someone living on Skid Row or Venice Beach, out of their mind, won’t fare any better in a small house if they don’t want, understand or use it. 

The amount of related crimes has doubled and even tripled in some areas, from assaults (both armed and not) to theft to home invasions. It’s incredibly sad and angering, for so many reasons. 
    Venice was a destination I used to love going to.  So many different personalities.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    shit. arrived in seattle this afternoon, and we're staying right downtown, a few blocks from the water. holy shit I've never seen so many homeless people in my life. it's staggering. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    shit. arrived in seattle this afternoon, and we're staying right downtown, a few blocks from the water. holy shit I've never seen so many homeless people in my life. it's staggering. 

Amazon, Microsoft,  Boeing. couple other majors up there drive that. along with fair enough weather. but the reality is many of those wound up priced out of home or apartment.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • jpgoegeljpgoegel Posts: 410
    it's definitely gotten worse recently.  anecdotal, but...i visited most recently in 2018 for the Home Shows, 2019 twice and most recently for EV's shows.  Wintertime drives more people to 3rd Avenue because of the train station, there was a least 5-6 straight blocks sadly.   Also places like CVS now lock their alcohol coolers requiring a staff member to unlock them, which didn't exist before 
    mickeyrat said:

Amazon, Microsoft,  Boeing. couple other majors up there drive that. along with fair enough weather. but the reality is many of those wound up priced out of home or apartment.
    I've been to Seattle many times in the last 30 years and it's not that they are just priced out.  You have many w drug addictions and mental illness.

In 95-97 I was living off and on there and if you were early enough you would catch the police waking up the homeless from in front of the courthouse.  The whole lawn was full.

Something else interesting is where amazon is, there are no homeless.  They had enough pull to get local LEO to clear them out.  It was like being in another part of the world because everywhere you looked, other than there, homeless were present.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

The west coast is the place to be if you're homeless. Freezing to death is very unlikely.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:

The west coast is the place to be if you're homeless. Freezing to death is very unlikely.
    for sure but I haven't seen this same level in Vancouver. I may just not have been in the right area, though. here it's pretty confined to certain streets it seems. you walk down on street and it's Homeless Haven, the next one block over looks like Kardashian Avenue. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2022

PJ_Soul said:

for sure but I haven't seen this same level in Vancouver. I may just not have been in the right area, though. here it's pretty confined to certain streets it seems. you walk down on street and it's Homeless Haven, the next one block over looks like Kardashian Avenue. 
    The homeless problem in Vancouver is horrible, but you're right, you generally see most of it in certain areas, and where most of them are, most others avoid like the plague, because it's not only scary, but so fucking depressing. It is literally normal to see people shooting up on the sidewalk, and tweeking. Cops do nothing at all. And yeah, it is so weird, you can literally be smack dab in the middle of the tourist area, but if you wander just one block too far in a certain direction, you're confronted with absolutely, abject poverty and human misery. I think a lot of tourists in Vancouver get pretty upset when it happens to them, as it's so unexpected and so disturbing to see what you see. COVID made things a bit worse though, and I've noticed there are more homeless camped out on various sidewalks around downtown, no matter the area, more than ever. When more shuttered stores and everything there isn't much motivation I guess to try and get these people to move on (not that I'm saying they should be told to move on).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

The homeless problem in Vancouver is horrible, but you're right, you generally see most of it in certain areas, and where most of them are, most others avoid like the plague, because it's not only scary, but so fucking depressing. It is literally normal to see people shooting up on the sidewalk, and tweeking. Cops do nothing at all. And yeah, it is so weird, you can literally be smack dab in the middle of the tourist area, but if you wander just one block too far in a certain direction, you're confronted with absolutely, abject poverty and human misery. I think a lot of tourists in Vancouver get pretty upset when it happens to them, as it's so unexpected and so disturbing to see what you see. COVID made things a bit worse though, and I've noticed there are more homeless camped out on various sidewalks around downtown, no matter the area, more than ever. When more shuttered stores and everything there isn't much motivation I guess to try and get these people to move on (not that I'm saying they should be told to move on).
    Sorry to hear that. We were stationed on Whidbey Island on the mid 90's and made it up to Vancouver a few times. We loved the city and taking the kids to to the aquarium. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    It was bad in California when we went to the Oakland shows. We stayed a few days in Santa Monica and then Oakland.

The homeless would sleep on some of the structures on Venice Beach and then get cleared out every morning by security.

People want to complain but it takes money to fix that issue. Money that no one wants to provide.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville