Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    Did anyone ever get a code to share when they renewed? Looking to test this site out if someone has one unused.
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited April 2022
    Just find out, from watching an interview with Jim Jarmush, that Neil's idea was to make the score for Dead Man with Krist and Dave Grohl from the band Nirvana. But changed his mind and aligned with Jarmush who had thought of Neil scoring it alone with just his guitar. 

Anywhoooooo....

https://youtu.be/Bll9WC-RASU
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    edited April 2022
    OBS2 with The Ducks is out in late June. 3LPs
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,839
    Ok…so this might be an impossible question to answer…but where do people see Mirrorball sitting on the Neil Young album rankings!? Top 5? Top 10? No where near his best?? Interested to know! 

Personally I don’t know all of Neil’s catalogue and only have a couple of his compilation and live albums and of course Mirrorball which I love. One of my all time top 10 albums! Look forward to hearing peoples thoughts. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • shorty4568shorty4568 Seattle, WA Posts: 173
    Ok…so this might be an impossible question to answer…but where do people see Mirrorball sitting on the Neil Young album rankings!? Top 5? Top 10? No where near his best?? Interested to know! 

Personally I don’t know all of Neil’s catalogue and only have a couple of his compilation and live albums and of course Mirrorball which I love. One of my all time top 10 albums! Look forward to hearing peoples thoughts. 
    With over 40 studio albums, I would put Mirrorball in the top 20 but it doesn't make the top 10 for me.

If considering his live albums or work with other groups, Mirrorball would fall even further down the list. 
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258

With over 40 studio albums, I would put Mirrorball in the top 20 but it doesn't make the top 10 for me.

If considering his live albums or work with other groups, Mirrorball would fall even further down the list. 
    I'd agree with this. For studio albums, it's probably in one of the 15-20 spots for me.
    I don't think there's a single song on it that I ever skip, it's such a strong record.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    Neil is heading back to the studio soon... or will it be the barn?

It may just be an album of whistling though!  :D

(Tim Rogers)
    *sigh*
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    So for you NY experts, are people ordering all of these new boots on vinyl?  Seems pretty redundant to Massey, Shakespeare, Cellar Door, Carnegie with the exception of Citizen Kane, which is heavy with On the Beach.  I ordered that one for sure.  

It's hard to be a "completist" on NY.  
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mrussel1 said:
    So for you NY experts, are people ordering all of these new boots on vinyl?  Seems pretty redundant to Massey, Shakespeare, Cellar Door, Carnegie with the exception of Citizen Kane, which is heavy with On the Beach.  I ordered that one for sure.  

Especially because that means I would have to willingly own Are You Passionate? and Fork in the Road.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Answer is yes they will be very similar to Massey, Shakespeare & Carnegie from 71. I ordered them but I doubt they will be must haves like Massey or Carnegie. 
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

Especially because that means I would have to willingly own Are You Passionate? and Fork in the Road.
    Don't forget about Everybody's Rockin' 
    I'm still only missing Arc/Weld, Unplugged, Road Rock, and Year of the Horse.

Can't stop now. 

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

Don't forget about Everybody's Rockin' 
    I'm still only missing Arc/Weld, Unplugged, Road Rock, and Year of the Horse.

Can't stop now. 

Nice
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

Are You Passionate is a great record!
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    I pre-ordered ORS4 box but I haven't received a shipping notice. Anyone get theirs from NYA yet? 
    static111 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

It might be. I haven't listened to it since selling it back to the store I bought it from a day after I bought it. 

I remember feeling physically ill listening to "Let's Roll."
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    mrussel1 said:

I’m in the same place with the boot releases. The Citizen Kane is a for sure purchase. Probably stream the other two on NYA a few times before deciding tonpurchase. 1971 seems to be fairly well covered at this point.
    I pre-ordered ORS4 box but I haven't received a shipping notice. Anyone get theirs from NYA yet? 
    Mine is coming from bullmoose today
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

Haha!  I willingly own both of those albums on vinyl but I'm no where nearly an NY completist.  I only have 44 Niel LPs and a mere 14 CDs.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited April 2022
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

Haha!  I willingly own both of those albums on vinyl but I'm no where nearly an NY completist.  I only have 44 Niel LPs and a mere 14 CDs.
    Honestly, I’d love to have  Are You Passionate on vinyl, but Discogs prices - plus shipping to Australia - have priced me out so far.
    It’s one of only 4 studio releases I don’t have on vinyl. Yet…

(Tim Rogers)
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    dankind said:
    static111 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

It might be. I haven't listened to it since selling it back to the store I bought it from a day after I bought it. 

I remember feeling physically ill listening to "Let's Roll."
    Lets Roll is a Turd but the rest of the album is very groovy and has a weird psychedelic motown vibe.  I skip Let's Roll when listening to this album for sure.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I really miss NY on Spotify. I wish he'd come back.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    Is this man ever going to tour again?  I wish I would have just spent the insane amount of money being requested for the 2014 carnegie hall acoustic shows, but I was pretty broke back then.  Saw him with Crazy Horse and a solo electric show, but never acoustic.  

Also, I have to listen to Colorado and Barn.  Totally missed those.  
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
    Is this man ever going to tour again?  I wish I would have just spent the insane amount of money being requested for the 2014 carnegie hall acoustic shows, but I was pretty broke back then.  Saw him with Crazy Horse and a solo electric show, but never acoustic.  

Neil actually answered this question just a few days ago

I’d love to get the chance to see Neil again. My dream would be a solo acoustic set at Sydney Opera House (the acoustics are insane there), but I don’t think it’s likely he’ll make it down here again for a while.

(Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

Honestly, I’d love to have  Are You Passionate on vinyl, but Discogs prices - plus shipping to Australia - have priced me out so far.
    It’s one of only 4 studio releases I don’t have on vinyl. Yet…

I just looked at what Discogs has and am surprised at these prices (although these days, I guess I shouldn't be).  It's so weird to see an album that has been panned the way that one has go for so much.  There are definitely some duds on that double LP, but the good stuff there is worth having.  I hope you manage to find a reasonable copy some time! 
    Just curious, what others are you missing?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah. I just learned how to use Spotify, and it sounds terrible. So notwithstanding the culture war bullshit, I do see, or rather hear, Neil's point on that aspect.

And I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination.

Anyway, I had been listening to a few albums every day at home. And when I had to be on the road a bit during Easter week, I told my wife that I didn't know how I was going to make it through my days without listening to at least one of those albums. So she hooked me up with our family Spotify premium account.

The sound was remarkably worse than what I had been hearing at home. I don't know any other way to describe it other than very thin. And even my shitty MP3 files on my iPhone usually sound awesome in the car. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    goldrush said:

Neil actually answered this question just a few days ago

I’d love to get the chance to see Neil again. My dream would be a solo acoustic set at Sydney Opera House (the acoustics are insane there), but I don’t think it’s likely he’ll make it down here again for a while.
    Wow, crazy timing!

Thanks for posting :) 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2022
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah. I just learned how to use Spotify, and it sounds terrible. So notwithstanding the culture war bullshit, I do see, or rather hear, Neil's point on that aspect.

And I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination.

Anyway, I had been listening to a few albums every day at home. And when I had to be on the road a bit during Easter week, I told my wife that I didn't know how I was going to make it through my days without listening to at least one of those albums. So she hooked me up with our family Spotify premium account.

The sound was remarkably worse than what I had been hearing at home. I don't know any other way to describe it other than very thin. And even my shitty MP3 files on my iPhone usually sound awesome in the car. 

I'm really don't know what you mean. Spotify sounds perfectly fine to me. I don't compare it or any digital music to my home stereo playing vinyl, but there is nothing terrible about the sound on Spotify IMO.
    But anyway, that isn't why NY isn't on Spotify anymore, it's the whole Joe Rogan thing. I wish Neil would decide that his point has been made and come back to the service!!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata