2023-2024 NHL Regular Season

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Anyone watch the All Star skills competition last night? I hadn't watched it in a few years but decided to check it out. NHL knows what they are doing for the All star break. Glad they still had some of the old school skills and it was cool to see some of the new ones as well. Only one I didn't really care for was the breakaway competition. It was fun but that was about it, not much skill involved plus the wrong person "won" I think. Only other thing I don't understand it the actual game itself. So it's just gonna be the Pacific division vs the Metropolitan guys? No central or Atlantic players in the game? They should go back to East vs West, IMO
    All four divisions play a round robin of I think 4 on 4 and I think its 10 minute games but not sure.

incorporating Vegas in it with the Bellagio and the blackjack on the Strip was kind of cool

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    pjhawks said:
    Anyone watch the All Star skills competition last night? I hadn't watched it in a few years but decided to check it out. NHL knows what they are doing for the All star break. Glad they still had some of the old school skills and it was cool to see some of the new ones as well. Only one I didn't really care for was the breakaway competition. It was fun but that was about it, not much skill involved plus the wrong person "won" I think. Only other thing I don't understand it the actual game itself. So it's just gonna be the Pacific division vs the Metropolitan guys? No central or Atlantic players in the game? They should go back to East vs West, IMO
    All four divisions play a round robin of I think 4 on 4 and I think its 10 minute games but not sure.

incorporating Vegas in it with the Bellagio and the blackjack on the Strip was kind of cool

it was a decent all star. Concept was interesting. I still prefer the east vs west but it was different. Glad to see Giroux get MVP

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    pjhawks said:

it was a decent all star. Concept was interesting. I still prefer the east vs west but it was different. Glad to see Giroux get MVP

G always has been better in meaningless games 😂
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Marchand is a POS.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited February 2022
    Wobbie said:
    Marchand is a POS.
    Indeed.

I may have shared this before, but both of my kids have had an opportunity to meet him on separate occasions. Both times, he was at their rink, getting one of his kids ready for a practice after one of my kids was getting out of one of their practices. Both times, I refused to let them meet him.

Garbageperson.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    What was the first clue about Marchand being a pos..the dude licked another player.  He came unhinged years ago…perfect team for him is Boston…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,834
    dankind said:
    Wobbie said:
    Marchand is a POS.
    Indeed.

I may have shared this before, but both of my kids have had an opportunity to meet him on separate occasions. Both times, he was at their rink, getting one of his kids ready for a practice after one of my kids was getting out of one of their practices. Both times, I refused to let them meet him.

Garbageperson.
    Good for you!
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    Don't know if this has been posted here, but you folk might enjoy this hockey-themed Wordle clone:

Gordle 24 4/6🏒
    https://gordle.herokuapp.com

🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
    🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
    🟨🟩⬜🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

"I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
    for the time being, I’d kick all russians out of the NHL.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Wobbie said:
    Would you have interned all the Japanese too?
    Wobbie said:
    I really dislike this attitude.  Why would we punish them because their leader is an asshole?  Should we have pulled Americans off the ice for all the terrible things we have done at times including unleashing Trump on the world?  It is not the Russian people's fault.  
    pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:
    I really dislike this attitude.  Why would we punish them because their leader is an asshole?  Should we have pulled Americans off the ice for all the terrible things we have done at times including unleashing Trump on the world?  It is not the Russian people's fault.  
    that is very true. very true.

that said, I feel like you have to put all the pressure in the world on putin….make him as unpopular with his own people as he is with the rest of the world….if the population gets fed up enough, maybe they will rise up and strip that asshole of his power.

suspend the russian players until peace comes. the NHL could even issue a “we know it’s not their fault” statement.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:

that said, I feel like you have to put all the pressure in the world on putin….make him as unpopular with his own people as he is with the rest of the world….if the population gets fed up enough, maybe they will rise up and strip that asshole of his power.

suspend the russian players until peace comes. the NHL could even issue a “we know it’s not their fault” statement.
    What about the ones with dual citizenship?

You know these players don't pay Russian taxes? Why would this put any pressure at all on Putin?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Wobbie said:
    pjhawks said:
    Wobbie said:

Yeah, I do not support this.  Even Putin's pal, Ovi, spike against this, in some way.
    Putin won't care and the Russians you are aiming to motivate to speak out likely want their players back on KHL ice, anyway.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I knew my "hot take" would raise some eyebrows...

mrussell...I'm not suggesting interment camps.

hawks...as bad as trump was (is), he didn't invade any sovereign countries. had he done so, I would have been all for banning americans on foreign teams.

to clarify...don't kick the russians out of the NHL....just suspend them until putin stops his aggression.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    I knew my "hot take" would raise some eyebrows...

mrussell...I'm not suggesting interment camps.

hawks...as bad as trump was (is), he didn't invade any sovereign countries. had he done so, I would have been all for banning americans on foreign teams.

to clarify...don't kick the russians out of the NHL....just suspend them until putin stops his aggression.
    My point about internment camps, is that the US made a horrible mistake during WWII about how we treated (in many cases) US citizens of Japanese heritage.  It's yet another huge blight on our history.  While kicking them out of the league pales in comparison to internment, the mindset is the same.  You are seeking to punish a person because of his heritage even though these players are neither supporting or benefiting from Putin's actions.  The response is punitive in nature rather than being productive. 
    ^^^ I need a little more than Ovie’s weak sauce. I respect your opinion but we need pressure, pressure, pressure from wherever it comes.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    ^^^ I need a little more than Ovie’s weak sauce. I respect your opinion but we need pressure, pressure, pressure from wherever it comes.
    Ovie is different.  He has been a Putin stooge for over a decade. 
    So excited for the playoffs.   I think this is the year the Leafs win the Cup.  A brutal path for them with Tampa and most likely Florida though.   So I am going a bit off the board and going with Leafs over the Wild.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    pjhawks said:
    So excited for the playoffs.   I think this is the year the Leafs win the Cup.  A brutal path for them with Tampa and most likely Florida though.   So I am going a bit off the board and going with Leafs over the Wild.  
    I think the Leafs lose in first round, again.  

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    pjhawks said:

I hope not I like Austin Matthews and Jack Cmapbell (Both USA guys). I think they can make it to the conference finals. Haven't really been following the NHL too much this year since the Flyers sucked ass.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    pjhawks said:

I hope not I like Austin Matthews and Jack Cmapbell (Both USA guys). I think they can make it to the conference finals. Haven't really been following the NHL too much this year since the Flyers sucked ass.

I like Soupy, as well, but still think they lose round 1

• VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,900
    That Pens win last night was awesome!  Was hoping the Wild would stop looking like the Wild in the playoffs...not over yet, obviously, but not looking great.  The LA win over Edmonton was sweet too.  Hope Florida gets their shit together.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
    edited May 2022
    I stopped watching after they disallowed the Rangers goal in the third. Dumoulin clearly checked Kaapo Kakko into DeSmith, but whatever.

Actually, when the brackets had the Rangers playing the Penguins, I pretty much just accepted a first-round exit. The NHL always puts its thumb on the scale for the Pens/Crosby. So I ain't watching anymore of this bullshit series. If by some miracle the Rangers get through the first round (spoiler alert: they won't), I'll watch then.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    I stopped watching after they disallowed the Rangers goal in the third. Dumoulin clearly checked Kaapo Kakko into DeSmith, but whatever.

Actually, when the brackets had the Rangers playing the Penguins, I pretty much just accepted a first-round exit. The NHL always puts its thumb on the scale for the Pens/Crosby. So I ain't watching anymore of this bullshit series. If by some miracle the Rangers get through the first round (spoiler alert: they won't), I'll watch then.
    it's always fun to hear from irrational fans.  If the NHL wanted anyone to win that series they'd take the New York market over Pittsburgh every day ending in Y.  Admittedly was a tough call.  Could have gone either way.  I was surprised they called it goalie interference.  This series is going 6 or 7 so maybe see you in two weeks?
    edited May 2022
    Saying the NHL doesn't suck up to Pitt is ignoring some not too distant history.  

That being stated, I work with a huge Rangers fan and he was similarly disgusted at the game, although his ire was toward how pathetic he thought the NY effort was.

One of the reasons I love Philly fans, as well.  Gotta love rabid fandom....it is one the things that makes sports fun.
    Rangers did not adjust their game plan at all. If they continue to play their 1st line against the Crosby line, they deserve a quick exit. Shit. Rooney’s line would be better. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    pjhawks said:
    dankind said:

it's always fun to hear from irrational fans.  If the NHL wanted anyone to win that series they'd take the New York market over Pittsburgh every day ending in Y.  Admittedly was a tough call.  Could have gone either way.  I was surprised they called it goalie interference.  This series is going 6 or 7 so maybe see you in two weeks?

Something I've learned from reading Twitter during the playoffs - the refs/league are always biased in favor of your opponent. ALWAYS. Doesn't matter who you root for. Rangers fan? They're biased in favor of the Pens. Bruins fan? They're helping Carolina. Kings fan? Expect some of your goals to be called back after Edmonton complains. Pittsburgh fan? Every call/non-call will go New York's way.

Also, I learned a great tip on goaltender interference - look at where the contact happens. In the crease? Goal's probably coming back, unless the player was making every possible effort not to be in the crease.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,900
    I was surprised by the interference call, and taking the goal away.  I wasn't upset of course, but I was surprised. Not as much as the Rangers not being able to score on a cold third-string goalie, but I don't think the Pens have much of a chance if they have to rely on that much longer. 
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:
    dankind said:

Something I've learned from reading Twitter during the playoffs - the refs/league are always biased in favor of your opponent. ALWAYS. Doesn't matter who you root for. Rangers fan? They're biased in favor of the Pens. Bruins fan? They're helping Carolina. Kings fan? Expect some of your goals to be called back after Edmonton complains. Pittsburgh fan? Every call/non-call will go New York's way.

Also, I learned a great tip on goaltender interference - look at where the contact happens. In the crease? Goal's probably coming back, unless the player was making every possible effort not to be in the crease.
    What happens when fans of every team agree that Shitsburgh is the league's charity?
    :lol:
    I don't twitter so I don't look there to learn.  ;)