Smashing Pumpkins

Comments

• ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

edit:  Tomorrow also marks 24 years since I last saw a Pumpkins show.   I think I could go for another.  Missed the last one in Seattle because all the bands decided touring at the end of the summer at the same time was a good idea.  Had to pick and choose :(
    That puts it 1998. The same year (it was either 97 or 98)I missed my chance to see them.  I had a high school basketball game in the same city, on the same night they were playing.  The student section consisted of about 5 people with a sign that said “we love you more than the smashing pumpkins”. 😂

where I’m from we literally never get any live concerts of any note either 
    That means my math was bad.   It's going to be 25 years since I've seen them.  I forgot it was 2022.. Where did the years go? The last show I saw was Vancouver '97 at GM Place.  So long ago.   That was before I'd even seen pearl jam doing a headlining gig.
    That was the tour then. Billings Montana was Jan 10, 1997 (had to look it up). Had to be the same leg, as it’s within a few days of one another. I’m still pissed I missed it 

Yah I the Vancouver show was a few days before that.  Looking back on it, I think it was the peak of the pumpkins.  They were selling out Arenas.  Meanwhile I'd seen Soundgarden a month earlier playing a small old hockey rink... like 4000 people kind of thing.  While the pumpkins were selling out hockey/nba arenas.  Come to think of it I saw nirvana play the same venue 3 months before the band ended.

Anyways i found it crazy how big they got, but also how quick their popularity dropped when they tried mixing up their sound and changing band members...  I'd go see them again, but I'm really glad I saw them when i did.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Zod said:
    These are getting a wider press on black a little later in the year.

really?  I thought these were put out as, available one day only kind of things.   If i'd known they were going to retail I would of waited and not paid a mint for them (see as how both the records and shipping was really expensive).
    Yeah there’s a black pressing coming.  Might be a while tho.  
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Incredible archive release! So worth the wait! James set is also awesome! 
    Did you think his volume was way low? Changing from James to Billy and it gets loud. Kind of reminds me of a concert where the opening act isn’t played at full volume. 

His set was killer though 
    I did notice a slight change between sets. They might have each EQ’d their mics and guitars differently. Also going from James warmer vocals to Billy’s is quite a shift. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    edited January 2022
    Arrived here in the UK. Sounds great, cant deny that. Really pleased with that.

Really wish they had done something better with the sleeve though. Think the artwork is fine but the indentation/ ringwear on mine is pretty rubbish, its what you would expect from a big stack of records piled on top of each other. Also a shame they couldnt have put these in polylined sleeves or done a booklet, would have been a nice touch. Its the most minimal packaging you are likely to see. Maybe we're spoiled with PJ vaults or Third Man stuff.
    Post edited by FR181798 on
    Picked up a signed copy from someone on another forum.  Looking forward to spinning this.  
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    Katie Cole is helping with backing vocals for the new album, which she says has 33 tracks.  
  • redrawredraw Posts: 1,271
    Picked up a signed copy from someone on another forum.  Looking forward to spinning this.  
    Where did you find a copy & was it at a reasonable price??
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
    edited January 2022
    redraw said:
    Where did you find a copy & was it at a reasonable price??
    I don’t even remember what this cost when it went on sale.  I paid someone $245.  Should be in my hands soon.  

Really hoping for a Zwan live vault but I can’t see that happening unless it’s one of his solo shows back then
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
    The sound is great on this. Was anyone elses sleeve damaged a bit with what was not really ring wear more ring damage/ indentations on the front? I reached out to the shop but no spares of even the sleeve apparently. Pretty poor for a new record.
    FR181798 said:
    The sound is great on this. Was anyone elses sleeve damaged a bit with what was not really ring wear more ring damage/ indentations on the front? I reached out to the shop but no spares of even the sleeve apparently. Pretty poor for a new record.
    The record/paper sleeve and plastic lined LP sleeve came separated in my order. No damage. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    FR181798 said:
    The record/paper sleeve and plastic lined LP sleeve came separated in my order. No damage. 
    Mine was separate aswell but looked it had been stacked in a big pile. A few others on instagram looked the same. Maybe it happened when getting signed.
    Damn, that sucks. QC these days…
    www.cluthelee.com
  • FR181798 said:
    Paper sleeve.  Kind of glad the vinyl is gold, that way I can’t really see all the scratches that are probably there. 

Plays fine so I guess that’s the important part.

I cringe every time I see unlined paper sleeves 
    FR181798 said:
    Paper sleeve.  Kind of glad the vinyl is gold, that way I can’t really see all the scratches that are probably there. 

Plays fine so I guess that’s the important part.

I cringe every time I see unlined paper sleeves 
    I havent touched a lot if my original PJ records in years since I have the reissues. I was amazed to find that I had the foresight to put them all in polylined sleeves and take the thick booklets out. It was more a case of not wanting to split the inner but yeah poly lined sleeves should be a given on anything in this price range.
    Take a look on ebay. Just about every one you can see a curve on the front at the top where the vinyl has been squashed against it. I have the same at the bottom as well. Top is more of an indent, bottom is indented and creased along the curve. Ive got 30yr old sleeves in better condition.
    FR181798 said:
    Take a look on ebay. Just about every one you can see a curve on the front at the top where the vinyl has been squashed against it. I have the same at the bottom as well. Top is more of an indent, bottom is indented and creased along the curve. Ive got 30yr old sleeves in better condition.
    Fuck! That's no good! Wow, are these really selling on the secondary for that much? 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • FR181798 said:
    Fuck! That's no good! Wow, are these really selling on the secondary for that much? 
    At about 250-275 for autograph and 110-160 for non based on probably 6 or 7 actual sales on eBay I’ve seen 

Certainly not 499
    To be honest surprised they are not going for more, I paid. $187.50 including postage from Zuzus.

I ordered a couple of copies of Vault 1 Japan because the postage was so high that it made sense to import 2. There was no limit and it was more of a press to order deal that lasted 24 hours  unlike Vault 2 Viper Room.
  • FR181798 said:
    To be honest surprised they are not going for more, I paid. $187.50 including postage from Zuzus.

I ordered a couple of copies of Vault 1 Japan because the postage was so high that it made sense to import 2. There was no limit and it was more of a press to order deal that lasted 24 hours  unlike Vault 2 Viper Room.
    I agree. Especially for what people are paying routinely for MC&IS box set. There are tons of those out there and people are paying an arm and a leg for them 

in relation to that viper room should go for a lot more than it is.  Unless there are that many people out there who don’t like Adore?
  • redrawredraw Posts: 1,271
    FR181798 said:
    At about 250-275 for autograph and 110-160 for non based on probably 6 or 7 actual sales on eBay I’ve seen 

Certainly not 499
    I scored a copy for $250 on the Bay last week
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
    Apart from the last 3 records, all Smashing Pumpkins records are fetching crazy prices, even the reissues.  Must be loads pressed, where are they all. Smashing Pumpkins are a bit of an acquired taste, Corgans voice is not loved by everyone. Around 30,000 of the original MCIS vinyl and look at the prices.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Billy's hoarding them all in the back room of his tea shop.....
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

FR181798 said:
    Apart from the last 3 records, all Smashing Pumpkins records are fetching crazy prices, even the reissues.  Must be loads pressed, where are they all. Smashing Pumpkins are a bit of an acquired taste, Corgans voice is not loved by everyone. Around 30,000 of the original MCIS vinyl and look at the prices.

Every copy I’ve owned of Siamese Dream has been warped right out of the packaging. 
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited January 2022
    FR181798 said:

Every copy I’ve owned of Siamese Dream has been warped right out of the packaging. 
    Mine (Caroline Records) has a super tight center hole on the first LP. I have to pop the record on and off but it’s super flat though. I can fix warped, not sure I’m comfortable enlarging the hole 

Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
    FR181798 said:

Mine (Caroline Records) has a super tight center hole on the first LP. I have to pop the record on and off but it’s super flat though. I can fix warped, not sure I’m comfortable enlarging the hole 

I have this problem with some of my TMR releases. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• FR181798 said:

I have this problem with some of my TMR releases. 
    Lazaretto comes to mind here.  It’s tight but nothing compared to Siamese Dream 
    it's one of my White Stipes 20th anniversary boxes. every record I'm worried is going to snap in half when I take it off the TT
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    exacto knife. One little twirl in the hole and its perfect.

Its a bigger risk to keep playing it and not enlarging the hole than just shaving off the tiniest smidge to make it fit. 

• exacto knife. One little twirl in the hole and its perfect.

Its a bigger risk to keep playing it and not enlarging the hole than just shaving off the tiniest smidge to make it fit. 

Might try that… on a cheaper record first 
    exacto knife. One little twirl in the hole and its perfect.

Might try that… on a cheaper record first 
    haha, i was going to say....I'm not all that handy. I'd be terrified I'd destroy the record. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD