Introduce an obscure old band/artist you think people should hear

Comments

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited March 2014
    tonadax said:

Joy division- an old band with a great music vision and dark/depressed lyrics....

Agreed. For those of us who were fimiliar with the band New Order, this is the band before Ian Curtis committed suicide. Joy Division is a great band. To be clear I was born in 1982, so I remember New Order on the radio as a kid. Found out about Joy Division and like it a lot.
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • olderman said:

another underrated band, not totaly under the radar, was Little Feat. they even recognized this fact in that they titled what was at the time the best LIVE LP ever released, "Waiting For Columbus."

the current edition is very good.

sadly, however, the real deal, Lowell George (who also had been a member of the Mother's of Invention), had a big time weakness for cocaine. thus he is dead and so is the original genius of the band.

highly recommend that you give Little Feat a listen. Mr. George played a mean slide guitar.

Ohhhh yeeeaaah!!!! Fat man in the bath tub!!!! Dixie chicken!!!!!!
  • kdpjam" said:
    oh yeah!!! alex chilton ;)
    I absolutely love the #1 Record/Radio City cd.

Concur! You gotta check out the new big star documentary, its LEGIT, currently streaming on netflix now.

• Treyert14Treyert14 Louisiana Posts: 924
    He's a Christian artist so I don't know how this will do here but...
    Rich Mullins one of my favorite artists. Check out the cd "Songs"
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Michael Stanley...the pride of Northern Ohio.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgFsiDtC2fkimage
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    Ned's Atomic Dustbin!
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Big Country
    the 1st three albums are gems & Stuart Adamson was one of the best song writers to come out in the 80's ...RIP
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292

Big Country
    the 1st three albums are gems & Stuart Adamson was one of the best song writers to come out in the 80's ...RIP

I saw them a few months ago with the lead singer from The Alarm and had a great time.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited January 2022
    A couple of coincidental indents reminded me of this terrific obscure band from the 1980's Hoboken, NJ scene, The Individuals.  I was reading about Glen Morrow who was instrumental in putting that band together while reading The Bongo's leader, Richard Barone's fine book, Frontman. And shortly after that, I learned that an internet friend who work at Maxwell's back in those days and is still friends with Morrow as well as  Bongos bass player, Rob Norris.

The Individuals were short live and only made on EP and one album.  But that album, Fields, is one that I have enjoyed a great deal many times over the years since it's release,  It is definitely worth checking out.  And it holds up very well!  Really great song writing and a great playing.
    The Individuals  BarNone Records

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcNHviCB6e4

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Heartless Bastards...so damn good.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Thelonious Monster

The Buck Pets
    edited January 2022
    Here's another cool 80's band, The Neats (starts at 1:05)  This is seriously cool!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pj3nQ0GVIk

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited January 2022
    Canadian obscure bands:
    SNFU - hardcore punk - check out Better Than A Stick In The Eye. “It’s time for what? Time to Buy a Futon!”
    Harmonium - Prog - Les Cinq Saisons is a trip
    Sons of Freedom - 80s alt-rock. s/t album from ‘88 is amazing. “The Criminal” was a minor hit up here.
    Slow - Vancouver post-punk band. Minor hit up here in 1985 “Have Not Been the Same”.  Mostly famous for the lead singer pulling down his pants during a concert for Expo 86. Nationwide news 😂.  Probably hasn’t been named as much of an influence on the “Seattle sound” as they should be. 

Three other “obscure bands” that I like are:
    Swervedriver
    The Wipers
    the Feelies

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    Canadian obscure bands:
    SNFU - hardcore punk - check out Better Than A Stick In The Eye. “It’s time for what? Time to Buy a Futon!”
    Sons of Freedom - 80s alt-rock. s/t album from ‘88 is amazing. “The Criminal” was a minor hit up here.
    Slow - Vancouver post-punk band. Minor hit up here in 1985 “Have Not Been the Same”.  Mostly famous for the lead singer pulling down his pants during a concert for Expo 86. Nationwide news 😂.  Probably hasn’t been named as much of an influence on the “Seattle sound” as they should be. 

Swervedriver
    The Wipers
    the Feelies

I was going to post the Feelies on here. They are awesome!!
  • GlowGirl said:
    Canadian obscure bands:

Swervedriver
    The Wipers
    the Feelies

I was going to post the Feelies on here. They are awesome!!
    They are! The most obvious rip off of a song in rock n roll history is Blues Traveler “Hook”.  Listen to “The High Road” and tell me that song isn’t completely lifted. Didn’t even try to hide it, just added a harmonica. 

I like that BT album… but that rip off takes a little of the shine off it for me. 
    edited January 2022
    Two more bands I can’t believe I forgot:
    Captain Tractor - Celtic Folk-rock-punk.  “Up the Hill” and “Last Saskatchewan Pirate” are just amazing songs off their best album “East of Edson”.
    Somewhat ironically, I was born 45 minutes west of Edson. 

the smalls - so many cool shows in the 90s.
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
    Canadian obscure bands:

Swervedriver
    The Wipers
    the Feelies

I don't know about Swervedriver, but how bizarre that Wipers and Feelies are (and amazingly, they are) relatively obscure bands.  These are terrific bands!

• brianlux said:
    Canadian obscure bands:

Swervedriver
    The Wipers
    the Feelies

I don't know about Swervedriver, but how bizarre that Wipers and Feelies are (and amazingly, they are) relatively obscure bands.  These are terrific bands!
    Swervedriver is considered by some as the heaviest of the shoegaze bands. Mezcal Head is a good album to check out. Duel is an amazing song. I’ve never heard anyone talk about them in North America much but I stumbled across a Rick Beato YouTube interview with Adam Franklin (guitarist/singer) recently. Beato is a huge fan apparently. He was pretty giddy during the interview. 

It is pretty bizarre (and a shame!) how few people know how good the Feelies and Wipers are… or how influential they have been. 

brianlux said:
    Canadian obscure bands:

Swervedriver
    The Wipers
    the Feelies

Swervedriver is considered by some as the heaviest of the shoegaze bands. Mezcal Head is a good album to check out. Duel is an amazing song. I’ve never heard anyone talk about them in North America much but I stumbled across a Rick Beato YouTube interview with Adam Franklin (guitarist/singer) recently. Beato is a huge fan apparently. He was pretty giddy during the interview. 

It is pretty bizarre (and a shame!) how few people know how good the Feelies and Wipers are… or how influential they have been. 

Yes!  Influential for sure!

• mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,742
    It's interesting to read what was obscure in 2006 vs obscure in 2021 when streaming and YouTube has every album ever at your fingertips.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,602
    'Newer' blues band.
     Indigenous 
    Mato Nanji should be a well known name. Shreds the blues
  • Max Webster - Paradise Skies
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhc8-vUp8o

edited January 2022

Al Jourgansen and Paul Barker from Ministry along with Jello Biafra.  “Forkboy” was on the Natural Born Killers Soundtrack and is also on “The Last Temptation of Reid”; an awesome album. 

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    It's interesting to read what was obscure in 2006 vs obscure in 2021 when streaming and YouTube has every album ever at your fingertips.

I think I saw a MySpace link back there.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    Funky Nigerian Afro-rock band, The Funkees.

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Michael Peter Smith an underappreciated songwriter, check out his song Sister Clarissa as a starting point.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    edited January 2022
    I'm not a big fan of the world "should" but I'll add to this thread two bands that were mentioned by Eddie Vedder in this article:  Dead Moon
    and Fugazi:

I found the article very frustrating because the very thing Vedder has loved about Dead Moon (and others he mentioned like Fugazi) was the "the ritual, and the sweat, and the love" and the fact that they never lost their edge does not well define where Vedder himself has gone.  There is a juncture where artists like Vedder and Pearl Jam reach where the path that one takes continues to maintain a creative edge or lapse into the lap of luxury or fail all together.  Dead Moon and Fuagzi never lost their edge.  I wish I could say the same for Vedder and Pearl Jam.  But who knows, maybe Eddie's upcoming solo album will prove me wrong.  One can only hope.

Spiritualized

Guadalcanal Diary
    Causa Sui

Motorpsycho
    - Al Swearengen

Caroline Herring
    - Al Swearengen