What book are you reading?

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    I just picked up this book by Richard Barone of the band The Bongos called Frontman; Surviving the Rock Star Myth.  I picked it up at Winston Smith Books in Auburn today on our date day.  C. caught me browsing my new find during a break in our wandering around the town:
    IMG

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    brianlux said:
    I just picked up this book by Richard Barone of the band The Bongos called Frontman; Surviving the Rock Star Myth.  I picked it up at Winston Smith Books in Auburn today on our date day.  C. caught me browsing my new find during a break in our wandering around the town:
    IMG

Richard Belzer - Wikipedia 
    Hey, I didn't know Richard Belzer was so cool...and likes to read!
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    Madeline Miller - The song of Achilles

A new favorite
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

Almost finished. Highly recommended. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Malroth said:
    brianlux said:
    IMG

Richard Belzer - Wikipedia 
    Hey, I didn't know Richard Belzer was so cool...and likes to read!

No, silly, Barone.  BARONE!  :lol:     
    Actually, Richard Barone looks ever so slightly like a younger Richard Belzer:
    The Bongos39 Richard Barone returns to his roots with new album on Bar None  Records - njcom

Seriously though, I'm always surprised Barone is not better known.  He has worked with/palled around with the likes of these folks (all in his book):
    Lou Reed
    Debbie Harry
    David Johnanson
    Donovan
    Dave Stewart
    Quincy Jones
    Bea Arthur
    Nancy Sinatra
    Paul Williams
    Moby
    Tony Visconti

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Finished this last night:

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    End Of Watch bill Hodges - By Stephen King  Target
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    Yarden said:

A new favorite
    Excellent! I love this book as well as Circe.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    I just finished The Sentence by Louise Erdrich. I recommend it. If you are an Erdrich fan, the writing is the caliber of The Painted Drum
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    I am almost done with a book called WILDWOOD.

The writing is superb.
    How I found out about his book -- I was teaching a stop motion video class on zoom over the summer and fell in love with LAIKA studios films -- Box trolls, Coraline, Kubo, etc... watching all the behind the scenes on how these movies are made. Absolutely fascinating.
    Anyway, their upcoming project was recently announced to be a stop motion film from th book WILDWOOD. So I purchased it and am reading it aloud to my six year old son. I was so intrigued by the writer that I looked him up- Colin Meloy. He's the lead singer of famed band The Decemberists.

Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    Pap said:

This is next on my reading list. Did you like it?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587

The writing is superb.
    How I found out about his book -- I was teaching a stop motion video class on zoom over the summer and fell in love with LAIKA studios films -- Box trolls, Coraline, Kubo, etc... watching all the behind the scenes on how these movies are made. Absolutely fascinating.
    Anyway, their upcoming project was recently announced to be a stop motion film from th book WILDWOOD. So I purchased it and am reading it aloud to my six year old son. I was so intrigued by the writer that I looked him up- Colin Meloy. He's the lead singer of famed band The Decemberists.

Nice.  Good to see you round these parts.

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Pap said:

Actually, Dave read it to me (Audible) while I was turning the actual pages. It was fun! Some of Dave's stories could easily be transferred to the big screen :wink: Good stuff, plus PJ are mentioned a lot in there :smiley:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Yarden said:

A new favorite
    Excellent! I love this book as well as Circe.
    Can't wait to read Circe.

The writing is superb.

Thanks F Me, I like to pop in once in awhile. I miss this place! :)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)

The writing is superb.

Will we see another Johnny Bails adventure?

The writing is superb.

Will we see another Johnny Bails adventure?
    Lol, I would love to -- I'm not sure if I drink enough to get back in the mind of Jonny Bails these days though. :D
    I kid... I have two unrelated novels in the works right now, but once they're completed, I was thinking of doing a short story Jonny Bails follow-up... just to see where it goes. Maybe, just maybe, that could develop into something.
    Woot!
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    Pap said:
    Pap said:

Actually, Dave read it to me (Audible) while I was turning the actual pages. It was fun! Some of Dave's stories could easily be transferred to the big screen :wink: Good stuff, plus PJ are mentioned a lot in there :smiley:
    Thanks!

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • That sounds good @dankind

I'm reading this

Which is about this 

• xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    Woke up this morning, the Oral History of the Sopranos.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Nearing the end of J. M. Coetzee's Disgrace.  What an amazing writer.  I can't think of anyone to compare Coetzee to.  This is the second novel of his I've read (starting with his Waiting For the Barbarians).  Intense, captivating, at time disturbing, unpredictable.  Amazing.
    Disgrace by JM Coetzee

• a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,834
    brianlux said:
    Nearing the end of J. M. Coetzee's Disgrace.  What an amazing writer.  I can't think of anyone to compare Coetzee to.  This is the second novel of his I've read (starting with his Waiting For the Barbarians).  Intense, captivating, at time disturbing, unpredictable.  Amazing.
    Disgrace by JM Coetzee

Was going to read Nickel Boys next, but after reading your description I might have to grab this one :)
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    a5pj said:
    brianlux said:
    Disgrace by JM Coetzee

Was going to read Nickel Boys next, but after reading your description I might have to grab this one :)
    Foe is another great one. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    a5pj said:
    brianlux said:
    Disgrace by JM Coetzee

I just found out that this was made into a movie starring John Malcovich.  I put it on my DVD queue.  Should be interesting to see how the handle this strange, fascinating story!
    If you read it, I hope you like it.  A fine novel, more intense that fun, but what a great writer Coetzee is!

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Just finished the first two books of Rothfuss's Kingkiller chronicle...looks like the conclusion will come out anytime in the next 20 years...Reading The age of American Unreason and Women Race and Class...I can't power through non fiction at the same pace..it takes my brain a long time to process and understand.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    The first Rothfuss is genius work, imo.
    There was a novella released between the two, I believe.  It was not bad.