The Pizza Thread

Comments

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413

Oh no man..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    bbiggs said:
    Well I just ordered some Malnati's pizza from Gold Belly. Interested to see what the hype's about. 
    What type of pizza did you get?  I'll be eager to hear the reviews.

Sausage, pep, cheese, and veggie. Having them for the wife's little bday get together this weekend. She likes the deep dish. 
    Did you go with the sausage patty or just regular sausage???  Sausage patty is the way to go for Lou's. I've also heard good things about the frozen pies....we send them to my mother in law in New Mexico every now and then.  Enjoy!
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    bbiggs said:
    Well I just ordered some Malnati's pizza from Gold Belly. Interested to see what the hype's about. 
    What type of pizza did you get?  I'll be eager to hear the reviews.

Sausage, pep, cheese, and veggie. Having them for the wife's little bday get together this weekend. She likes the deep dish. 
    Did you go with the sausage patty or just regular sausage???  Sausage patty is the way to go for Lou's. I've also heard good things about the frozen pies....we send them to my mother in law in New Mexico every now and then.  Enjoy!

+1
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    It just said "sausage." Are patties just sort of shaped like peperoni's or something instead of crumbled sausage pieces?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • 23scidoo said:

Oh no man..
    food for a viking
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    It just said "sausage." Are patties just sort of shaped like peperoni's or something instead of crumbled sausage pieces?
    It's a complete layer of sausage covering the whole pie.  Pretty sure the default for deep dish is the sausage patty.  It's the best.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    It's a complete layer of sausage covering the whole pie.  Pretty sure the default for deep dish is the sausage patty.  It's the best.
    Good god almighty. Wasn't expecting that!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Regarding Lou's...perhaps I should have planned this better. Is one pizza for one person? Or are they filling enough for two people?

Got her parents and sister and brother in law coming over and have 4 pizzas. Thinking none of the women will have more than a couple slices....
    chinese-happy.jpg
    ^One pizza per person would be too much unless you ordered four personal sized pizzas.  Four medium pizzas would leave a lot of leftovers.  Assuming they're all deep dish, a couple of good sized slices will be more than enough for the average person.  Definitely filling and easy to overeat because it's damn good and easy to say "just one more."
    bbiggs said:
    ^One pizza per person would be too much unless you ordered four personal sized pizzas.  Four medium pizzas would leave a lot of leftovers.  Assuming they're all deep dish, a couple of good sized slices will be more than enough for the average person.  Definitely filling and easy to overeat because it's damn good and easy to say "just one more."
    Perfect. Thanks man. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Wife and I ordered and attempted to eat a personal, each, at Lous.  That was the birth of of the term Taking a Lou's.  
    We should have split one.
    Tasted great but it was too much to shove down on a sweltering hot Chicago summer day.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    My wife and I got an appy and split one cheese pie at Lou s and it was more than enough.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Two grown, potentially inebriated men, have never finished a regular deep dish pie at any of the spots in Chitown.  Each slice is like eating lasagne in a crust (albeit with no pasta). We have come close at Pequods, but not at Lou, Uno (throwback), or Giordano's.
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Not to distract from the Lou’s talk (you’re going to love the sausage patty Juggler. It’s life changing), but I had a pretty amazing pie tonight. Probably my favorite white pizza I’ve ever had.

From Circles + Squares in Philly:

Sausage, marinated red peppers, ricotta, garlic and gran moravia (like parm)

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I'm not a big white pizza fan (love the sauce) but that looks really good!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Whoa! ^^^^^ 
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited January 2022
    It really was amazing. The peppers were heavily marinated, which I really liked a lot. And you can’t even see the ricotta, it was hidden in big pockets under all of the other stuff. I’m very sad that this was only a weekly special because I would get it very often if it was a regular menu item. 
    Post edited by RiotZact on
    bbiggs said:
    "Just one more" going for that 3rd slice always seems like a great idea at the time.  And then it pretty much puts you right to sleep.  May have to order Lou's this weekend after all this talk....haven't had one in awhile.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    If Eddie's Chicago shows don't get postponed/cancelled, there is a Lou's sausage pizza in my near future.
    bbiggs said:
    "Just one more" going for that 3rd slice always seems like a great idea at the time.  And then it pretty much puts you right to sleep.  May have to order Lou's this weekend after all this talk....haven't had one in awhile.
    If I recall correctly this is what I did. I felt pretty damn full after just 2, but my brain was telling me that wasn’t enough. So I forced a 3rd one down and I felt like I was going to burst. So damn good though. 
    edited January 2022
    My favorite pizza  in the world.  My kids loved it. 

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    Damn. Looks incredible. Where’s it from? 
    edited January 2022
    Papa s pizza in robbinsville nj, it s been ranked nationally and at the state level. This style is called tomato pie, the sauce is on top.  
    mcgruff10 said:
    Papa s pizza in robbinsville nj, it s consistently  ranked as top five in the state. This style is called tomato pie, the sauce is on top.  
    That’s interesting. In Philly tomato pie is something way different. It’s square cut and very thick with no cheese except maybe a dusting of parmesan.

That looks incredible though.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,014
    It’s freezing out on Long Island, football on Saturday so decided to get some pizza & just chill inside

grandpa small 
    it’s vodka sauce, fresh mozzarella, camelized onions, & toasted breadcrumbs… it’s so good

sicilian slice & some meatballs
    That looks Bomb, Mike, but agree with Zach.  Tomato pie is something  very different,  here.

CRO, looks great.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    That pizza with the carmelized onions and the toasted breadcrumbs looks amazing. I have never seen toasted breadcrumbs on a pizza before. Now I want to try it. 
    edited January 2022
    That looks Bomb, Mike, but agree with Zach.  Tomato pie is something  very different,  here.

CRO, looks great.
    I had to look it up, these are “Trenton tomato pies” hence the difference.  

Brett there is another killer pizza shop literally 200 yards down the road from Papa s called DeLorenzo s.  They also serve killer Trenton style tomato pies.  I love that place too but prefer papa s.  Papa s is like walking back in time (cash only) and delorenzo s is a modern place.  
    mcgruff10 said:

CRO, looks great.
    I had to look it up, these are “Trenton tomato pies” hence the difference.  

Brett there is another killer pizza shop literally 200 yards down the road from Papa s called DeLorenzo s.  They also serve killer Trenton style tomato pies.  I love that place too but prefer papa s.  Papa s is like walking back in time (cash only) and delorenzo s is a modern place.  
    Good stuff.  You got a pizza feeding frenzy by you