*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    Talk about another goddamn candidate that I'll begrudgingly have to vote for come the General goddamnit.
    he might as well have said Shapiro won't pass up an open look in Game 7 of state budget negotiations...
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Nine million bucks is what Ben's lost so far with tonight's game. What a fucking fool. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Anyone else see the stat the other day that Embiid is 1 for 29 from the field in his career in the last five seconds of a game when having a chance to tie or take the lead? 1 for freaking 29. I knew it wasn’t great but holy fuck balks Batman.  He’s funny though so I guess it’s ok

• RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    pjhawks said:
    Anyone else see the stat the other day that Embiid is 1 for 29 from the field in his career in the last five seconds of a game when having a chance to tie or take the lead? 1 for freaking 29. I knew it wasn’t great but holy fuck balks Batman.  He’s funny though so I guess it’s ok

It’s almost as though it’s nearly impossible to succeed in those situations if you’re running through the post. I’m pretty sure everyone is very aware that the Sixers need a closer.

He’s funny though? Yeah. 

He’s one of the most efficient scorers in NBA history though? Yeah. 

He leads the NBA in clutch time points though? Yeah. 

He’s dragging a scrub team to the playoffs though? Yeah. 

He just reached 7,000 points in the same amount of games that it took Iverson, but on about 3.2 million fewer shots though? Yeah.
    edited December 2021
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:

It’s almost as though it’s nearly impossible to succeed in those situations if you’re running through the post. I’m pretty sure everyone is very aware that the Sixers need a closer.

He’s funny though? Yeah. 

He’s one of the most efficient scorers in NBA history though? Yeah. 

He leads the NBA in clutch time points though? Yeah. 

He’s dragging a scrub team to the playoffs though? Yeah. 

He just reached 7,000 points in the same amount of games that it took Iverson, but on about 3.2 million fewer shots though? Yeah.
    He literally leads the league in pts per game in clutch situations. But yeah, he's funny. That is why we like him. Ugh. Casual Sixers fans are the worst.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/clutch-traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    “Casual” is to kind of an adjective. That just implies that you don’t pay attention. Picking and choosing which things to comment about in a sad attempt to grasp at straws because you need to find SOMETHING that doesn’t completely discredit your opinion on something that happened years ago is something entirely different. I’m not sure if there is an adjective for that.

I can say that I personally held the opinion for a few years that Ben Simmons was treated too harshly and Embiid was over praised and under criticized. I am more than happy to admit that, after watching more basketball in this modern era and realizing how amazing Embiid is, I was a complete idiot, and that my former opinion was very dumb. 

Some people just don’t have the equipment to admit that.
    RiotZact said:
    “Casual” is to kind of an adjective. That just implies that you don’t pay attention. Picking and choosing which things to comment about in a sad attempt to grasp at straws because you need to find SOMETHING that doesn’t completely discredit your opinion on something that happened years ago is something entirely different. I’m not sure if there is an adjective for that.

I can say that I personally held the opinion for a few years that Ben Simmons was treated too harshly and Embiid was over praised and under criticized. I am more than happy to admit that, after watching more basketball in this modern era and realizing how amazing Embiid is, I was a complete idiot, and that my former opinion was very dumb. 

I saw a stat that I thought was interesting ajnd posted it.   I made no comment other than to say I knew it wasn't great but didn't think it was that bad. Never once said he wasn't a great player.   But hey some made up stat says he's clutch so I guess the 1-29 means nothing.  
    RiotZact said:

The guy is one of the greatest Sixers ever and some people just choose hate on him for some strange reason.

Just enjoy the greatness. Jeez!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:

I saw a stat that I thought was interesting ajnd posted it.   I made no comment other than to say I knew it wasn't great but didn't think it was that bad. Never once said he wasn't a great player.   But hey some made up stat says he's clutch so I guess the 1-29 means nothing.  
    LOL! You’re taking words out of your own mouth. You’re saying “that’s all I was saying” when that’s not all that you were saying. You threw in that bullshit about him being funny. Even in this very comment you had to say “made up stat”. You can’t just say “he’s a great player but I thought that stat was jarring”. You have to throw in extra nonsense.
    edited December 2021
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:

LOL! You’re taking words out of your own mouth. You’re saying “that’s all I was saying” when that’s not all that you were saying. You threw in that bullshit about him being funny. Even in this very comment you had to say “made up stat”. You can’t just say “he’s a great player but I thought that stat was jarring”. You have to throw in extra nonsense.
    tough crowd.  And sorry if I think a stat that says a guys who is 1-29 in the last 5 seconds during his career to win or tie is one of the most clutch players is a bogus stat.   Please have the lords of this thread forgive my sins.

Post edited by pjhawks on
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:

I love how the clutch stat is "made up" just because he never heard of it before. But I'd say gauging a players performance in the final 5 minutes of a 5 point game is way more intuitive to how clutch a player is than buzzer beaters, which obviously include half court and full court heaves. This article is old but speaks to the laziness of someone hearing a random stat somewhere and taking it for gospel. Notice how everyone on this list is a perimeter player too. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/4396/clutch-shots-are-tough-just-ask-lebron-james

Final-second shots are tough; just ask LeBron James

Mar 1, 2016

The stat began to circulate among ESPN's basketball brains not long after LeBron James airballed a potential winning hoist from 3-point range last Friday night in Toronto.

The very contested miss lowered LeBron's regular-season success rate to a mere 10.6 percent in the past 10 seasons -- on 5-for-47 shooting -- when attempting a tying or go-ahead shot in the final five seconds of the fourth quarter or overtime.

Yet to properly process a number that sounds so uncharacteristically low, it helps to have some context on what has to be considered some of the toughest circumstances that a shooter can face.

So we consulted with Justin Page from ESPN Stats & Information, who informs us that the league average in that situation, in the same time frame, is more than double LeBron's conversion rate but still a rather modest 22.7 percent.

‎The following table ‎features the 21 players who, across the same 10-season span, have at least 25 attempts to tie or win the game in the final five ticks of regulation or OT.

PLAYERFGMFGAFG%
    Rudy Gay173844.7%
    Dirk Nowitzki133834.2%
    Joe Johnson113928.2%
    Vince Carter93228.1%
    Damian Lillard72528.0%
    Kobe Bryant134827.1%
    Deron Williams103727.0%
    Monta Ellis93426.5%
    Raymond Felton72725.9%
    Kevin Durant125024.0%
    Kemba Walker73023.3%
    Carmelo Anthony94221.4%
    Chris Paul83821.1%
    Dwyane Wade94719.1%
    Russell Westbrook52917.2%
    Derrick Rose53016.7%
    Paul Pierce63716.2%
    Andre Iguodala53713.5%
    Brandon Jennings32711.1%
    LeBron James54710.6%
    Jamal Crawford33010.0%
    Total17376222.7%
    Minimum 25 attempts to tie or win the game
    in the final five seconds of regulation/overtime
    -- ESPN Stats & Information

Two other notes that will surely interest you:

Stephen Curry's name isn't on the list because, in his seven NBA seasons, he's had the opportunity to attempt only 19 such shots in the final five seconds of regulation or an OT period ... and has made six.

As for Michael Jeffrey Jordan ...

The only available data on such attempts covers MJ's two seasons in Washington and his last two seasons with the Bulls. He was 6 for 15 on such shots.

Turns out he was actually 6 for 10 in these toughest of conditions until going 0 for 5 in his final season with the Wizards in 2002-03.

chinese-happy.jpg
    Oh yeah. You guys remember Ol’ Mikey “Sir Chokes-a-lot” Jordan?

Man, the hoops those Chicago fans would jump through to justify taking him at #3. They’d say things like, “He makes cool shoes though.”
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:

I love how the clutch stat is "made up" just because he never heard of it before. But I'd say gauging a players performance in the final 5 minutes of a 5 point game is way more intuitive to how clutch a player is than buzzer beaters, which obviously include half court and full court heaves. This article is old but speaks to the laziness of someone hearing a random stat somewhere and taking it for gospel. Notice how everyone on this list is a perimeter player too. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/4396/clutch-shots-are-tough-just-ask-lebron-james

Mar 1, 2016

The stat began to circulate among ESPN's basketball brains not long after LeBron James airballed a potential winning hoist from 3-point range last Friday night in Toronto.

The very contested miss lowered LeBron's regular-season success rate to a mere 10.6 percent in the past 10 seasons -- on 5-for-47 shooting -- when attempting a tying or go-ahead shot in the final five seconds of the fourth quarter or overtime.

Yet to properly process a number that sounds so uncharacteristically low, it helps to have some context on what has to be considered some of the toughest circumstances that a shooter can face.

So we consulted with Justin Page from ESPN Stats & Information, who informs us that the league average in that situation, in the same time frame, is more than double LeBron's conversion rate but still a rather modest 22.7 percent.

‎The following table ‎features the 21 players who, across the same 10-season span, have at least 25 attempts to tie or win the game in the final five ticks of regulation or OT.

PLAYERFGMFGAFG%
    Rudy Gay173844.7%
    Dirk Nowitzki133834.2%
    Joe Johnson113928.2%
    Vince Carter93228.1%
    Damian Lillard72528.0%
    Kobe Bryant134827.1%
    Deron Williams103727.0%
    Monta Ellis93426.5%
    Raymond Felton72725.9%
    Kevin Durant125024.0%
    Kemba Walker73023.3%
    Carmelo Anthony94221.4%
    Chris Paul83821.1%
    Dwyane Wade94719.1%
    Derrick Rose53016.7%
    Paul Pierce63716.2%
    Andre Iguodala53713.5%
    Brandon Jennings32711.1%
    LeBron James54710.6%
    Jamal Crawford33010.0%
    Total17376222.7%

Stephen Curry's name isn't on the list because, in his seven NBA seasons, he's had the opportunity to attempt only 19 such shots in the final five seconds of regulation or an OT period ... and has made six.

The only available data on such attempts covers MJ's two seasons in Washington and his last two seasons with the Bulls. He was 6 for 15 on such shots.

Turns out he was actually 6 for 10 in these toughest of conditions until going 0 for 5 in his final season with the Wizards in 2002-03.

so Embiid is 19% less than the league average in the last 5 seconds.  noted thanks. 

edited December 2021
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:

Mar 1, 2016

PLAYERFGMFGAFG%
    Rudy Gay173844.7%
    Dirk Nowitzki133834.2%
    Joe Johnson113928.2%
    Vince Carter93228.1%
    Damian Lillard72528.0%
    Kobe Bryant134827.1%
    Deron Williams103727.0%
    Monta Ellis93426.5%
    Raymond Felton72725.9%
    Kevin Durant125024.0%
    Kemba Walker73023.3%
    Carmelo Anthony94221.4%
    Chris Paul83821.1%
    Dwyane Wade94719.1%
    Derrick Rose53016.7%
    Paul Pierce63716.2%
    Andre Iguodala53713.5%
    Brandon Jennings32711.1%
    LeBron James54710.6%
    Jamal Crawford33010.0%
    Total17376222.7%

so Embiid is 19% less than the league average in the last 5 seconds.  noted thanks. 

Yep. And the second greatest player ever is about 12% less than what you consider "league average" from six years ago.

Yet they're both 1 and 2 in Clutch points this year. So, hopefully you've learned something with this exercise. Thanks for walking right into that one.  
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited December 2021
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:

Mar 1, 2016

PLAYERFGMFGAFG%
    Rudy Gay173844.7%
    Dirk Nowitzki133834.2%
    Joe Johnson113928.2%
    Vince Carter93228.1%
    Damian Lillard72528.0%
    Kobe Bryant134827.1%
    Deron Williams103727.0%
    Monta Ellis93426.5%
    Raymond Felton72725.9%
    Kevin Durant125024.0%
    Kemba Walker73023.3%
    Carmelo Anthony94221.4%
    Chris Paul83821.1%
    Dwyane Wade94719.1%
    Derrick Rose53016.7%
    Paul Pierce63716.2%
    Andre Iguodala53713.5%
    Brandon Jennings32711.1%
    LeBron James54710.6%
    Jamal Crawford33010.0%
    Total17376222.7%

Yep. And the second greatest player ever is about 12% less than what you consider "league average" from six years ago.

Yet they're both 1 and 2 in Clutch points this year. So, hopefully you've learned something with this exercise. Thanks for walking right into that one.  
    i thought i was on ignore? guess not.  and yes those 2 are 1 and 2 by the standard of 5 minutes. of course their teams are 1 game over and 2 games under .500 so maybe 5 minutes isn't a good barometer?  so maybe it's too small a sample size to really determine clutch-ness or it's kind of a bogus stat since the number 1 and 2 most clutch players in the league team's are average. interesting question i think.
    edited December 2021
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:

Mar 1, 2016

PLAYERFGMFGAFG%
    Rudy Gay173844.7%
    Dirk Nowitzki133834.2%
    Joe Johnson113928.2%
    Vince Carter93228.1%
    Damian Lillard72528.0%
    Kobe Bryant134827.1%
    Deron Williams103727.0%
    Monta Ellis93426.5%
    Raymond Felton72725.9%
    Kevin Durant125024.0%
    Kemba Walker73023.3%
    Carmelo Anthony94221.4%
    Chris Paul83821.1%
    Dwyane Wade94719.1%
    Derrick Rose53016.7%
    Paul Pierce63716.2%
    Andre Iguodala53713.5%
    Brandon Jennings32711.1%
    LeBron James54710.6%
    Jamal Crawford33010.0%
    Total17376222.7%

i thought i was on ignore? guess not.  and yes those 2 are 1 and 2 by the standard of 5 minutes. of course their teams are 1 game over and 2 games under .500 so maybe 5 minutes isn't a good barometer?  so maybe it's too small a sample size to really determine clutch-ness or it's kind of a bogus stat since the number 1 and 2 most clutch players in the league team's are average. interesting question i think.
    ^
    Guy never heard of a stat before yesterday and now says it's bogus because it doesn't fit his dumb narrative. 

Casual Sixers fans are the worst. 

Edit—and the Sixers are 6 games over .500 when Embiid plays. Lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I am a casual sixers fan though I like embiid
    edited December 2021
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:

Mar 1, 2016

PLAYERFGMFGAFG%
    Rudy Gay173844.7%
    Dirk Nowitzki133834.2%
    Joe Johnson113928.2%
    Vince Carter93228.1%
    Damian Lillard72528.0%
    Kobe Bryant134827.1%
    Deron Williams103727.0%
    Monta Ellis93426.5%
    Raymond Felton72725.9%
    Kevin Durant125024.0%
    Kemba Walker73023.3%
    Carmelo Anthony94221.4%
    Chris Paul83821.1%
    Dwyane Wade94719.1%
    Derrick Rose53016.7%
    Paul Pierce63716.2%
    Andre Iguodala53713.5%
    Brandon Jennings32711.1%
    LeBron James54710.6%
    Jamal Crawford33010.0%
    Total17376222.7%

^
    Guy never heard of a stat before yesterday and now says it's bogus because it doesn't fit his dumb narrative. 

More answers from a guy who is supposedly ignoring me. Maybe I’ll get another cute message in my inbox.

and you like the stat that uses 5 minutes as clutch so that makes it legitimate but since Embiid is well below league average at 5 seconds that is illegitimate?  Dude you are using the same logic you are accusing me of using. 

When Embiid plays…I guess that is part of the decade long process…when he plays 🤔
    edited December 2021
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:

Mar 1, 2016

PLAYERFGMFGAFG%
    Rudy Gay173844.7%
    Dirk Nowitzki133834.2%
    Joe Johnson113928.2%
    Vince Carter93228.1%
    Damian Lillard72528.0%
    Kobe Bryant134827.1%
    Deron Williams103727.0%
    Monta Ellis93426.5%
    Raymond Felton72725.9%
    Kevin Durant125024.0%
    Kemba Walker73023.3%
    Carmelo Anthony94221.4%
    Chris Paul83821.1%
    Dwyane Wade94719.1%
    Derrick Rose53016.7%
    Paul Pierce63716.2%
    Andre Iguodala53713.5%
    Brandon Jennings32711.1%
    LeBron James54710.6%
    Jamal Crawford33010.0%
    Total17376222.7%

^

More answers from a guy who is supposedly ignoring me. Maybe I’ll get another cute message in my inbox.

and you like the stat that uses 5 minutes as clutch so that makes it legitimate but since Embiid is well below league average at 5 seconds that is illegitimate?  Dude you are using the same logic you are accusing me of using. 

When Embiid plays…I guess that is part of the decade long process…when he plays 🤔
    Pretty sure Ziotact and I thoroughly explained why your stat, which nobody uses as a measure of anything (it’s not even tracked on any website) is bogus. You just saw someone tweet it. Ooooohhhh! Meanwhile the actual clutch stat is widely available because it’s an actual measure of how a player helps his team down the stretch. 

7 over .500 w/Embiid now.

🤡
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited December 2021
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:

Mar 1, 2016

PLAYERFGMFGAFG%
    Rudy Gay173844.7%
    Dirk Nowitzki133834.2%
    Joe Johnson113928.2%
    Vince Carter93228.1%
    Damian Lillard72528.0%
    Kobe Bryant134827.1%
    Deron Williams103727.0%
    Monta Ellis93426.5%
    Raymond Felton72725.9%
    Kevin Durant125024.0%
    Kemba Walker73023.3%
    Carmelo Anthony94221.4%
    Chris Paul83821.1%
    Dwyane Wade94719.1%
    Derrick Rose53016.7%
    Paul Pierce63716.2%
    Andre Iguodala53713.5%
    Brandon Jennings32711.1%
    LeBron James54710.6%
    Jamal Crawford33010.0%
    Total17376222.7%

^

Pretty sure Ziotact and I thoroughly explained why your stat, which nobody uses as a measure of anything (it’s not even tracked on any website) is bogus. You just saw someone tweet it. Ooooohhhh! Meanwhile the actual clutch stat is widely available because it’s an actual measure of how a player helps his team down the stretch. 

7 over .500 w/Embiid now.

🤡

No shit their record is better with him in the lineup . breaking fucking news there.   He's one of the best players in the world, I would hope their record would be a lot better with him than without him.  Now they just need to find a way to you know, keep him in the lineup.
  • RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:

Mar 1, 2016

PLAYERFGMFGAFG%
    Rudy Gay173844.7%
    Dirk Nowitzki133834.2%
    Joe Johnson113928.2%
    Vince Carter93228.1%
    Damian Lillard72528.0%
    Kobe Bryant134827.1%
    Deron Williams103727.0%
    Monta Ellis93426.5%
    Raymond Felton72725.9%
    Kevin Durant125024.0%
    Kemba Walker73023.3%
    Carmelo Anthony94221.4%
    Chris Paul83821.1%
    Dwyane Wade94719.1%
    Derrick Rose53016.7%
    Paul Pierce63716.2%
    Andre Iguodala53713.5%
    Brandon Jennings32711.1%
    LeBron James54710.6%
    Jamal Crawford33010.0%
    Total17376222.7%

Curry and Jordan wouldn't be on there much because their teams routed other ones.

My guess is you wouldn't want to be on the list towards the top.

Just my view of it.
    edited December 2021
    RiotZact said:
    pjhawks said:
    RiotZact said:

Mar 1, 2016

PLAYERFGMFGAFG%
    Rudy Gay173844.7%
    Dirk Nowitzki133834.2%
    Joe Johnson113928.2%
    Vince Carter93228.1%
    Damian Lillard72528.0%
    Kobe Bryant134827.1%
    Deron Williams103727.0%
    Monta Ellis93426.5%
    Raymond Felton72725.9%
    Kevin Durant125024.0%
    Kemba Walker73023.3%
    Carmelo Anthony94221.4%
    Chris Paul83821.1%
    Dwyane Wade94719.1%
    Derrick Rose53016.7%
    Paul Pierce63716.2%
    Andre Iguodala53713.5%
    Brandon Jennings32711.1%
    LeBron James54710.6%
    Jamal Crawford33010.0%
    Total17376222.7%

Curry and Jordan wouldn't be on there much because their teams routed other ones.

My guess is you wouldn't want to be on the list towards the top.

Just my view of it.
    Yeah, I mean, its just a dumb list/stat as it includes full and half court heaves at the buzzer and stuff. That's why you have to go back to 2016 to find any info on it. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Who the hell is working with McGinnis tonight? It's a bit much.
    And why are the Nets wearing these shitty "throwbacks" like they have any nostalgic factor?
    This might top that Golden State game (FINGERS CROSSED)!
    He's telling Durant to get out of his own goddamn building. How do you not love this fucking guy?
    8 over .500 w/ a non covid infected Embiid now.  January schedule is pretty favorable. Let’s pile up some wins

GET EXCITED!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Who the hell is working with McGinnis tonight? It's a bit much.
    Marc Jackson

Pretty sure both Kate and Alaa have covid
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    great win last night against the #1 team in the east (so far...)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    edited January 2022
    31, 15 and 10. 

Just another incredibly dominant Embiid performance. Ho hum. 
    chinese-happy.jpg