2023-2024 NHL Regular Season

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Hockey fans, all i hear in the sports card world is Ovechkin breaking Gretzkys goal record. He needs 140 or so more.  If he averages 40 a year it would take him 3-1/2 years.  

He's 36.  Will he be able to score 40 goals the next few years?  That just doesn't sound like a possibility to me.

Anyone?
    Barring injury he will break the record.  He’ll score 900 and may try for a 1000.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Yes, I know NBCSN is going away.  My point was that there has been so much talk over the years about how the NHL needed to get back on ESPN to reach the casual fan and the majority of the games are on ESPN+.  I get the money part of it but I can't imagine that the majority of the national games being on a streaming service is a positive.  For me personally I love it.  I already had ESPN+ and they essentially have the Center Ice package on there now where you can watch just about every game every night.
    This is my take, as well.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • a5pj said:
    Hockey fans, all i hear in the sports card world is Ovechkin breaking Gretzkys goal record. He needs 140 or so more.  If he averages 40 a year it would take him 3-1/2 years.  

He's 36.  Will he be able to score 40 goals the next few years?  That just doesn't sound like a possibility to me.

Anyone?
    Yes, he'll get there. Even if they just put him out for the powerplay and feed him like they've always done.
    I think he actually started playing defense a few years ago when I watched a bunch of Caps games, not sure how that's going now.
    That's saying he can score 40 a year.  If he only does 20 a year he would be playing well into his 40's.

I just can't see him being effective and doing that but hell if Jagr scored 16 at 43 then I guess it's possible?

Just seems like a stretch to me.  Kind of like Rickey Henderson hanging around until he broke Ty Cobbs record.

Hanging around another 4- possibly 8 years... Wow.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited December 2021
    Yes, I know NBCSN is going away.  My point was that there has been so much talk over the years about how the NHL needed to get back on ESPN to reach the casual fan and the majority of the games are on ESPN+.  I get the money part of it but I can't imagine that the majority of the national games being on a streaming service is a positive.  For me personally I love it.  I already had ESPN+ and they essentially have the Center Ice package on there now where you can watch just about every game every night.
    The way content is delivered is focused toward those platforms though.  The fact that ESPN+ shows so many games 'free', is an improvement.  Its a pay service, but it comes bundled with so many options.  I get it free with my Verizon plan too.  As far as exposure, I have used the ESPN app to check sports scores since smart phones were invented.  Now, when I check scores, NHL content is always at the header of the screen, often a live game to look in on.

I haven't subscribed to a cable/satellite service in 5 years, and the number of people I know under the age of 65 who do is shrinking.

As far as 'reaching' casual fans... phoey.  They are always a pie in the sky and have been for 30-40 years.  NHL/Hockey will never be mainstream the way the other major pro sports are.   Make the existing content as appealing as possible.  For its faults, ESPN still does live broadcasting better than anybody.  My face muscles are still sore from rolling my eyes hearing Pierre McGuire saying that every single game is a playoff atmosphere, and how the players are 'chirping'.  Then Keith Jones between periods saying that the losing team needs to 'match the intensity' of the team who is in the lead... and somehow collecting a paycheck for it.  I know he got turfed near the end, but how did Mike Milbury hang on so long?  He was awful, and not in a way where he was controversial and made me angry and I kept tuning in and buzzing about it everywhere.  I didn't gave a shit what he said and it was just bad television and bad broadcasting.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
    Don Cherry is unemployed … he could spice up your coverage.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    edited December 2021

Anyone?
    I sure HOPE he doesn't, but I think he will , even if he has to play as long as Jagar did.
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    the NHL needs to postpone everything for a couple of weeks and make up the games during the Olympic Break. My confidence is close to zero that NHL players end up in the Olympics and it's pretty ridiculous to make teams play with depleted rosters. The Preds entire coaching staff is out tonight and they are brining in the coaches from their AHL team in Milwaukee. 
    The bell center in Montreal has been closed to fans…not sure if it’s because of Covid or just to save the fans from watching really bad hockey…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    The bell center in Montreal has been closed to fans…not sure if it’s because of Covid or just to save the fans from watching really bad hockey…

the first one

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly

the first one

I was being sarcastic…lol.  Montreal is terrible this year.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,833
    I don't know about all this Covid, other than it really sucks and I'm glad they're following protocol and taking it seriously, and I hope all end up ok. BUT the worst part is my fantasy team is all injured or out with Covid. That's definitely the worst of it. (Super sarcastic if you can't tell).
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

@Meltdown99
    I got your Mon joke :)
    When do you think Price is coming back, could you see him asking for a trade after everything?

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Paul Maurice resigns as Jets coach. wow. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I'm not sure who is making the decisions regarding teams playing and covid...seems like it's a monkey and a dart board.

Colorado, Calagary and Florida are shut down till 12/27. FLA-MIN and BOS-MON are postponed.

Yet the Predators, who played Colorado last night without 7 players AND THEIR ENTIRE COACHING STAFF, are still on for tonight. 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Jumb0 said:
    I'm not sure who is making the decisions regarding teams playing and covid...seems like it's a monkey and a dart board.

Colorado, Calagary and Florida are shut down till 12/27. FLA-MIN and BOS-MON are postponed.

Yet the Predators, who played Colorado last night without 7 players AND THEIR ENTIRE COACHING STAFF, are still on for tonight. 
    I believe Colorado, as a team, voted to play last night.  They were given the option to postpone.  
    So they voted to play and got their asses handed to them by the Milwaukee Admirals and then decided they needed a couple weeks off?
    They should call off olympic participation to make these games up…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    a5pj said:
    @Meltdown99
    When do you think Price is coming back, could you see him asking for a trade after everything?
    Price would need to wave his nmc.  Plus he’s not in the last year of the contract.  So Montreal would need to retain salary…but I think if he agrees and they find a dance partner he will be traded.

others will be traded.  It may be a fire sale…and they just may tank for the next few years…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Wait. Hockey players/coaches are Covidiots? 

I never would’ve guessed. :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    There is only 1 player not vaccinated…Tyler bertuzzi in Detroit.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Bunch of games canceled today!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    NHL to fully shut down after tomorrow night’s games.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    a5pj said:
    @Meltdown99
    Price would need to wave his nmc.  Plus he’s not in the last year of the contract.  So Montreal would need to retain salary…but I think if he agrees and they find a dance partner he will be traded.

others will be traded.  It may be a fire sale…and they just may tank for the next few years…
    Thanks for the info, I've always been a fan of his. Love his style and of course he's awesome.

dankind said:
    Wait. Hockey players/coaches are Covidiots? 

I never would’ve guessed. :lol:
    I actually think the NHL is taking this seriously and doing the right thing. When they find it they are doing their best to stop the spread. You know for the players families, fans, all the ppl players interact with. So that no one else gets sick, that's the point right?
    Maybe I'm a covidiot I guess...

IMO Bertuzzi should not be playing, putting NHL players at risk for his choice, which he is allowed to make.(I love how he got chirped the other night, lol) And Kane should never play again for faking his. 

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    I'm sure shutting down the league for 4 days will solve all the COVID problems!!
    The nhl is the worst run league with a dumdass basketball exec as commish…lmfa.
    Give Peas A Chance…

Give Peas A Chance…
    Nhl will officially be withdrawing from the Olympics…good move.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Good for them,  bad for us.  I love the Olympic hockey.  Understand the decision though. 
    mrussel1 said:
    Good for them,  bad for us.  I love the Olympic hockey.  Understand the decision though. 

this