Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• I think I will go the town and buy the reissue of Harvest. Haven't bought the reissues and it's expensive... but it is one worthy of having I have decided.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    Theres a gonna be a 50th in a couple of months. But that could be crazy expensive.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Theres a gonna be a 50th in a couple of months. But that could be crazy expensive.

Let’s hope for something better than the After The Gold Rush 50th reissue
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • After the Goldrush 50th with that "50th" text on the front is hideous. I think I'd rather have the prooven to be magical reissue. Might pick up the solo debut and EVerybody knows... also

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I think I will go the town and buy the reissue of Harvest. Haven't bought the reissues and it's expensive... but it is one worthy of having I have decided.

Harvest is down a ways on my list of favorite Niel Young records but, as an NY fan, I would definitely consider it an essential one!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    brianlux said:
    I think I will go the town and buy the reissue of Harvest. Haven't bought the reissues and it's expensive... but it is one worthy of having I have decided.

Harvest is down a ways on my list of favorite Niel Young records but, as an NY fan, I would definitely consider it an essential one!
    You gotta have it.. no matter what.  I agree, it's probably number 10?  Who knows, but #10 is spectacular.  And the reissue is excellent, although an OG is pretty damn good.  It was a very well recorded album. 
  • shorty4568shorty4568 Seattle, WA Posts: 173
    Almost all of NY's ORS reissues are sourced from the master tapes, cut by CB and pressed at Pallas. No other artist does reissues as good as NY for the money. 
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

You gotta have it.. no matter what.  I agree, it's probably number 10?  Who knows, but #10 is spectacular.  And the reissue is excellent, although an OG is pretty damn good.  It was a very well recorded album. 
    Agreed! 
    I looked at all my NY records and was surprised to find 12 to 14 of them are those I would place higher than Harvest as my favorites, but still find it definitely an essential.
    Almost all of NY's ORS reissues are sourced from the master tapes, cut by CB and pressed at Pallas. No other artist does reissues as good as NY for the money. 

Excellent!  Not a surprise, coming from NY, but good to know!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

I think Bruce and Petty are right up there with him.  Both of their catalogs were original tapes + Bellman as well.  Although I think the River was actually cut by someone else.  But I agree that Neil's are amazing. 
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    edited December 2021
    Neil's done an interview with Zane Lowe: 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRcGojEfDn0 
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • My dad just clearly implied he does not in any way want Barn as a christmas gift. 

So juat got him a zappa live vinyl. 
    edited December 2021
    Barn is fine. 

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    Barn is fine. 

Just fine,  nothing special?

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mrussel1 said:
    Barn is fine. 

Just fine,  nothing special?
    Yeah. Couple of standout tracks. The rest is meh. 
  • pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,786
    edited December 2021
    Is young Shakespeare worth the buy if I have Massey Hall? @Tim Simmons @mrussel1 @brianlux
    Post edited by pledgeagrievance on
    If you can get it cheap, yeah. But if its retail, nah. 
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    If anyone still has a NYA code LMK. Enjoying Neil Young Radio on SiriXM.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    If you can get it cheap, yeah. But if its retail, nah. 
    yeah agree with this.  
    Barn is a good album, I'm enjoying it. I wish Neil would sometimes take a second go at his lyrics these days, though. Some of them are really cringeworthy. The last track "Don't Forget Love" is also pretty bad, but on the other side of the coin, "Welcome Back" is fantastic. 
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    That Ed Sheeran song was on the edge of embarrassing. 
    what?!
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Is young Shakespeare worth the buy if I have Massey Hall? @Tim Simmons @mrussel1 @brianlux
    No but def get Carnegie Hall
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Who else is loving Barn so far? 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    It's great!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com

mfc2006 said:
    It's great!

Can't wait to hear it!  The LP is in transit!

Edved82 said:
    Barn is a good album, I'm enjoying it. I wish Neil would sometimes take a second go at his lyrics these days, though. Some of them are really cringeworthy. The last track "Don't Forget Love" is also pretty bad, but on the other side of the coin, "Welcome Back" is fantastic. 
    this is my criticism as well. The playing is top notch. Melodies great. But sometimes the lyrics...woof. 

But thats also been the case this century.

Edved82 said:
    this is my criticism as well. The playing is top notch. Melodies great. But sometimes the lyrics...woof. 

But thats also been the case this century.

Yeah, seems Neil is just churning out songs in one take, which has its pluses but apparently some drawbacks. Some of the lyrics are really bad.

I also miss Poncho a lot. Nils is a great and sensitive musician, Poncho was much more unrefined in his playing which suited the Horse better, I think. I miss Poncho's wall of sound rhythm guitar.

Saying that, Barn is a good album. Looking forward to the delivery of the vinyl too.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    On Howard Stern today!!
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,597
    Ba bah booohee
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    The Pearl Jam

Fun interview. Howard led in with Corduroy

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022