Record Player Help

I really like the Audio Technica AT-LP120XUSB but it’s out of stock everywhere, including at AT. I contacted AT, and they said they would be eventually back in stock but they don’t know when.  

Anyone know of another record player with similar features? Thanks!
www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
1998: Birmingham
2000: Charlotte, Tampa
2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
2004: Kissimmee
2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
2010: MSG2
2012: Music Midtown
2014: Memphis
2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
2022: Nashville
2023: Ft. Worth II

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    edited November 2021
    Any of your local record stores sell new turntables? A few near me do and have some available right now.  Check that out near you.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    mickeyrat said:
    Any of your local record stores sell new turntables? A few near me do and have some available right now.  Check that out near you.
    Good call. Thanks!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

www.RLMcDaniel.com

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    No, that looks nicer than the AT I have....which I like.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Which do you have?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I have the ATLP120 with an Ortofon red and it sounds amazing. It’s the first pricey cart I have ever used and the quality blew my mind over any AT stock cart I have used. I also took time and set up the table properly for the first time using this tutorial. I was floored how much I didn’t know! 

www.cluthelee.com
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Actually I just looked and I believe that's the one you're looking for.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    LukinFan said:
    I really like the Audio Technica AT-LP120XUSB but it’s out of stock everywhere, including at AT. I contacted AT, and they said they would be eventually back in stock but they don’t know when.  

What are the features important to you?  USB, phono stage,  belt driven,  speed switch?
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:

What are the features important to you?  USB, phono stage,  belt driven,  speed switch?
    Direct Drive
    Bluetooth 
    USB (I doubt I will ever use it, so it's not super important)
    Anti-Skate control
    Pre-amp
    Speed Switch 

I think that's about it. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

I have the ATLP120 with an Ortofon red and it sounds amazing. It’s the first pricey cart I have ever used and the quality blew my mind over any AT stock cart I have used. I also took time and set up the table properly for the first time using this tutorial. I was floored how much I didn’t know! 

Very cool. Thanks, Chris! 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:

Direct Drive
    Bluetooth 
    Anti-Skate control
    Pre-amp
    Speed Switch 

I think that's about it. 

what about this?

as of the 2nd a local has 6 available at $499.....

sure something can be worked out.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:

Direct Drive
    Bluetooth 
    Anti-Skate control
    Pre-amp
    Speed Switch 

I think that's about it. 

what about this?

I was looking at this one too. It’s a little more than what I wanted to pay, and I don’t think it has Bluetooth capability. I’m not sure if I’ll use BT that often but was wanting the option. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

LukinFan said:
    mickeyrat said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:

Direct Drive
    Bluetooth 
    Anti-Skate control
    Pre-amp
    Speed Switch 

I think that's about it. 

what about this?

I was looking at this one too. It’s a little more than what I wanted to pay, and I don’t think it has Bluetooth capability. I’m not sure if I’ll use BT that often but was wanting the option. 
    Blue tooth for what?  Do you mean so you can stream music from your phone to the record player which then sends a signal to your pre amp?  Or is it to connect with Bluetooth speakers?

Personally I only look at the analog side of things, so I'm curious how bluetooth plays into a TT. 
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    mickeyrat said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:

Direct Drive
    Bluetooth 
    Anti-Skate control
    Pre-amp
    Speed Switch 

I think that's about it. 

what about this?

Blue tooth for what?  Do you mean so you can stream music from your phone to the record player which then sends a signal to your pre amp?  Or is it to connect with Bluetooth speakers?

Personally I only look at the analog side of things, so I'm curious how bluetooth plays into a TT. 
    I was thinking for Bluetooth speakers. I’ve read the sound quality isn’t as good as wiring it but I wanted that option. 

Anyone here have a Bluetooth record player? If it’s that bad, maybe I don’t want one. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    mickeyrat said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:

Direct Drive
    Bluetooth 
    Anti-Skate control
    Pre-amp
    Speed Switch 

I think that's about it. 

what about this?

I was thinking for Bluetooth speakers. I’ve read the sound quality isn’t as good as wiring it but I wanted that option. 

Anyone here have a Bluetooth record player? If it’s that bad, maybe I don’t want one. 
    I think it's going to depend on what you want out of your TT.  Every feature you ask for is going to reduce the investment in the core of the TT (the tonearm, platter, cart, etc.)  So I would be cautious about 'features', unless convenience is the name of your game.  And if that's the case, then why a TT?  I'm not dogging you, so don't take this the wrong way.  But think of it like AVR's.  People just want more and more out of their AVRs.. dolby atmos, streaming, 7 HDMI ports, etc.  But they aren't going to pay $3k.  So manufacturers save on the amplifier stage, and the pre amp processing, go cheap on the DAC, etc.  And you can hear it.   It's all tradeoffs.  A $500 pure analog TT is going to sound substantially better than the one with the laundry list of features.  
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    mickeyrat said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:

Direct Drive
    Bluetooth 
    Anti-Skate control
    Pre-amp
    Speed Switch 

I think that's about it. 

what about this?

I think it's going to depend on what you want out of your TT.  Every feature you ask for is going to reduce the investment in the core of the TT (the tonearm, platter, cart, etc.)  So I would be cautious about 'features', unless convenience is the name of your game.  And if that's the case, then why a TT?  I'm not dogging you, so don't take this the wrong way.  But think of it like AVR's.  People just want more and more out of their AVRs.. dolby atmos, streaming, 7 HDMI ports, etc.  But they aren't going to pay $3k.  So manufacturers save on the amplifier stage, and the pre amp processing, go cheap on the DAC, etc.  And you can hear it.   It's all tradeoffs.  A $500 pure analog TT is going to sound substantially better than the one with the laundry list of features.  
    No, that actually makes sense. Like I said, if the sound quality is reduced by using Bluetooth, I doubt I’d use it anyway. I appreciate the advice. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,701
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    mickeyrat said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:

Direct Drive
    Bluetooth 
    Anti-Skate control
    Pre-amp
    Speed Switch 

I think that's about it. 

what about this?

No, that actually makes sense. Like I said, if the sound quality is reduced by using Bluetooth, I doubt I’d use it anyway. I appreciate the advice. 
    I don’t have a Bluetooth turntable, but my speakers have Bluetooth capability. They are connected to the turntable with wires so they are not portable. But I am also able to play songs off my phone or computer with them. They are Audioengine a5+. 

From what I understand, a Bluetooth turntable is so you can copy your records on to a CD or flash drive using your computer. If that is what you want I don’t know anything about that. 
    GlowGirl said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    mickeyrat said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:

Direct Drive
    Bluetooth 
    Anti-Skate control
    Pre-amp
    Speed Switch 

I think that's about it. 

what about this?

I don’t have a Bluetooth turntable, but my speakers have Bluetooth capability. They are connected to the turntable with wires so they are not portable. But I am also able to play songs off my phone or computer with them. They are Audioengine a5+. 

From what I understand, a Bluetooth turntable is so you can copy your records on to a CD or flash drive using your computer. If that is what you want I don’t know anything about that. 
    No, the USB on the TT is so you can rip the vinyl.  
    mrussel1 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    mickeyrat said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:

Direct Drive
    Bluetooth 
    Anti-Skate control
    Pre-amp
    Speed Switch 

I think that's about it. 

what about this?

no, the usb on the TT is so you can record the record WHILE IT PLAYS. there is no ripping in analog......

edited December 2021
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    mickeyrat said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:

Direct Drive
    Bluetooth 
    Anti-Skate control
    Pre-amp
    Speed Switch 

I think that's about it. 

what about this?

no, the usb on the TT is so you can record the record WHILE IT PLAYS. there is no ripping in analog......
    C'mon Mickey.  That's exactly what I meant. If you look at Orpheus and other sites, they are called "Vinyl Rip". Ripping is a generic term and I'm distinguishing it from the statement about Bluetooth, which has not role in the ripping/recording of the record. 

Did you really think I thought you could record a record without it playing, like a cd?
    GlowGirl said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    mickeyrat said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:

Direct Drive
    Bluetooth 
    Anti-Skate control
    Pre-amp
    Speed Switch 

I think that's about it. 

what about this?

Do you notice the sound quality drop when you run through the bluetooth? I'm assuming so. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

mrussel1 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    mickeyrat said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:

Direct Drive
    Bluetooth 
    Anti-Skate control
    Pre-amp
    Speed Switch 

I think that's about it. 

what about this?

I think that is what I meant - but said poorly. Or maybe I just don't know what a bluetooth turntable is :lol:

mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    mickeyrat said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:

Direct Drive
    Bluetooth 
    Anti-Skate control
    Pre-amp
    Speed Switch 

I think that's about it. 

what about this?

C'mon Mickey.  That's exactly what I meant. If you look at Orpheus and other sites, they are called "Vinyl Rip". Ripping is a generic term and I'm distinguishing it from the statement about Bluetooth, which has not role in the ripping/recording of the record. 

Did you really think I thought you could record a record without it playing, like a cd?

no I dont believe you thought that.

but it would be a very browns fan thing to think....

mickeyrat said:
    LukinFan said:
    mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:

Direct Drive
    Bluetooth 
    Anti-Skate control
    Pre-amp
    Speed Switch 

I think that's about it. 

what about this?

I see the dust cover comes unhinged. Anyone else have a TT like this? Is it a pain? We have to keep our cover down while playing a record because my 2 year old son likes to mess with the record. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited December 2021
    I'd have to agree with @mrussel1 on this. I think bluetooth defeats the point of getting a turntable. Especially when you often see the cheapest TT's (like Crosley) advertising Bluetooth and USB features.

My Dad was looking for an under $500 turntable recently. I advised him to go with an Orbit. I know he's not that tech savvy, and the Orbit tonearm comes balanced out of the box, so I thought it was a good match for him. They have a pre-amp option as well. You should look at their website, you can custom build your TT.

Pro-ject is also something to look at. For the price you get a nice tonarm, probably better than most TT's in that range. And they're easliy upgradable which is bonus. There are options to improve the platter, cartridge, power supply, etc, so if you don't want to lay out a lot now, you can gradually increase the performance. 

Question- what will you be running it through? Type of amp, speakers?

Post edited by eddiec on
    Thanks everyone. You have convinced me to stir clear of BT. And like I said, I probably would never use it anyway. I really appreciate all of the advice. I still have no clue what I'm going to get though. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

eddiec said:

Question- what will you be running it through? Type of amp, speakers?

My wife got me some new speakers for my birthday, but I haven't had a chance to hook them up yet. The name of the speakers are slipping my mind right now. I'm hoping to have a chance this weekend to connect them. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

LukinFan said:
    Thanks everyone. You have convinced me to stir clear of BT. And like I said, I probably would never use it anyway. I really appreciate all of the advice. I still have no clue what I'm going to get though. 
    So two more questions. 

1. Does your integrated amp or pre amp have a phono stage today?
    2. Do you really think you will to to digitize your records? That's the only reason you need a USB. 
    Even though I have had my turntable for only a little over a year - I am itching to upgrade. This is the one I want:

Thorens TD 102A Automatic Turntable - Walnut

mrussel1 said:
    LukinFan said:
    So two more questions. 

1. Does your integrated amp or pre amp have a phono stage today?
    2. Do you really think you will to to digitize your records? That's the only reason you need a USB. 
    the preamp I use now was pretty cheap. I'm not currently at home, but I do not think it has a phono stage. 

As for the digitalizing records, I don't know...knowing me, I seriously doubt I will. But saying that, I have so many records that I do not have a digital copy of and I wish I did (for on the go listening). But again, I doubt I will ever use it. Maybe in the beginning? 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com