The Golf Thread

Comments

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger-woods-swing-video?utm_medium=email&utm_source=112121&utm_campaign=hitlist&utm_content=DM23075&uuid=b1664984-eabf-4754-8a72-c86dbef9355f

I feel the sensation of deja vu watching this clip of tiger.  Should we start the betting on a return to the Masters in April?  
    Love it. April is so soon. I doubt it. 

But he wouldn't put up a video, though, if he wasn't making good progress. 
    That's my thought on the video.  He was much further along than we thought when he posted the Making Progress clip last time.  The sound the club made at impact was awesome (common for good golfers who aren't me).  He looks fit and ready for action but obviously just a wedge and it was a grind for him to feel decent for four days in a row even before this accident.  

Count me excited after watching this clip.  I know it won't ever be like it was 1997-2010.  
    Any golf to be had this week?  I'm heading to Greenville, South Carolina to visit the family and hope to get a round or two in with my brother.  
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Couldn’t know anything about his health, but have to imagine the grind of walking 4 days is gonna be tough, but yeah, hell yeah on the video 

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Any golf to be had this week?  I'm heading to Greenville, South Carolina to visit the family and hope to get a round or two in with my brother.  
    We're gonna be in the mid 40's here this week. That's a hair below my cut off line but I am really itching to get out again soon. Had a good last round and want to build on it.

chinese-happy.jpg
    edited November 2021
    We're gonna be in the mid 40's here this week. That's a hair below my cut off line but I am really itching to get out again soon. Had a good last round and want to build on it.

I played this past weekend when the windchill was about 35 at worst.  What I have found is that walking is key to staying warm and loose.  If you layer up without harming your flexibility too much, I doubt after the second hole you think about the cold all that much.  

Now if super windy or somewhat rainy then that is a different story.  I have a golf trip to Bandon Dunes over Christmas so I want to make sure I am getting my steps in and used to colder weather golf as walking only at Bandon and planning to get at least 36 in four days in a row if the daylight allows.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on

I played this past weekend when the windchill was about 35 at worst.  What I have found is that walking is key to staying warm and loose.  If you layer up without harming your flexibility too much, I doubt after the second hole you think about the cold all that much.  

Now if super windy or somewhat rainy then that is a different story.  I have a golf trip to Bandon Dunes over Christmas so I want to make sure I am getting my steps in and used to colder weather golf as walking only at Bandon and planning to get at least 36 in four days in a row if the daylight allows.
    Thinking of getting those cart mittens. lol. My back can't handle walking a full round usually. 
    chinese-happy.jpg

Thinking of getting those cart mittens. lol. My back can't handle walking a full round usually. 
    The carts would make for a faster round too.  Bummer on the back issue. Would it be a problem if you used a push cart?  I enjoy walking.   The push cart helps avoid the strain on the neck/back. 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    edited November 2021
    High of 34 today so I'm most likely not playing here until spring.  Maybe a day in the 40s will pop up in the next few weeks and can sneak in a round but it will be mostly range/simulator sessions for the next few weeks until a long weekend in WPB in Feb.  Bummer.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600

The carts would make for a faster round too.  Bummer on the back issue. Would it be a problem if you used a push cart?  I enjoy walking.   The push cart helps avoid the strain on the neck/back. 
    I just bought a push cart a few weeks ago.  My club is walkable and I am enjoying it.  It's about 16k steps to play 18. 
    The Match was cringeworthy.  The Koepka cupcakes was a dumb move but I will at least give Bryson credit for showing an ounce of personality.  Koepka is the most boring personality in golf.  A 12 hole exhibition is not going to produce great golf, so they need players with personality to make up for the fact that nobody really cares about the outcome.
    The Match was cringeworthy.  The Koepka cupcakes was a dumb move but I will at least give Bryson credit for showing an ounce of personality.  Koepka is the most boring personality in golf.  A 12 hole exhibition is not going to produce great golf, so they need players with personality to make up for the fact that nobody really cares about the outcome.
    I agree.  Koepka is boring.  I mean they're golfers, so what do you expect.  But he has little personality overall.  

I went out and shot a 78 yesterday on my 49th birthday.  It's my club, so I know it, but it's a Palmer course and is pretty tough.  Previous low had been 80 there, but shot a 90 on Thanksgiving.. awful.  Needed a par to break 80 and instead drained a 55 foot miracle birdie on 18.  Been a long time since I've been in the 70s.  
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Yeah that was pretty rough.  Not really surprising though....Koepka never has much to say and Bryson is just a clown.  Prob why they had Phil and Barkley in the booth to liven things up.  I really hope Phil wants to be an analyst when he hangs it up...he's awesome in the booth.  But it was enjoyable to see Bryson get his ass kicked and then immediately go to the "I haven't played in a 2 and a half months" excuse.
    mrussel1 said:
    I agree.  Koepka is boring.  I mean they're golfers, so what do you expect.  But he has little personality overall.  

I went out and shot a 78 yesterday on my 49th birthday.  It's my club, so I know it, but it's a Palmer course and is pretty tough.  Previous low had been 80 there, but shot a 90 on Thanksgiving.. awful.  Needed a par to break 80 and instead drained a 55 foot miracle birdie on 18.  Been a long time since I've been in the 70s.  
    Man, a 55 foot putt that you know you have to two putt for 79?  That is pressure.  You know, a 78 sounds even better than a 79.  You dipped more than a toe into the 70's.  
    We shouldn't be surprised that Tiger will be semi-retired now.  It will be interesting to see how long he competes in the majors if he knows he can't win.  He'll probably have to keep playing them for business reasons though.  Guesses on tournaments:

1) All four majors 
    2) Genesis Open
    3) Hero World Challenge
    4) Players
    5) One played in Asia (business reasons)
    6) One or two others sprinkled in.

That is 10 tournaments.  

We shouldn't be surprised that Tiger will be semi-retired now.  It will be interesting to see how long he competes in the majors if he knows he can't win.  He'll probably have to keep playing them for business reasons though.  Guesses on tournaments:

1) All four majors 
    2) Genesis Open
    3) Hero World Challenge
    4) Players
    5) One played in Asia (business reasons)
    6) One or two others sprinkled in.

That is 10 tournaments.  

No Muirfield?  I thought he really liked that one. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I don't think he's playing nearly that many.  That is basically 50%+ of what he has done of late and by his comments, he is no where near that.
    Tiger hitting woods on the range. 
    After many hours on hold for a day and a half got the Bandon Dunes trip scheduled for August 2023.

gonna be a long wait
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    I don't think he's playing nearly that many.  That is basically 50%+ of what he has done of late and by his comments, he is no where near that.
    I agree with cliff. hell, he might play NONE or only the masters. if he’s old and beat up, why should he play any?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Wobbie said:
    I agree with cliff. hell, he might play NONE or only the masters. if he’s old and beat up, why should he play any?
    Probably because he's the GOAT.

• ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 624
    edited December 2021
    Tiger will be 46 this month.  I'd love to see him play v. Phil in 4 yrs on the Sr Tour.  Pretty sick to be rooting for Sr Tour golf rivalries.  But I'm a sicko.  Also, can't imagine biding my time for 2 yrs with a Bandon tee time,  The waiting would drive me mad.  I'm constantly running scenarios to just "randomly" get back there for any amt of time, and tell my wife it's not part of my grand Bandon obsession.  Hard to just wander in to a place in the middle of nowhere though.  She's on to me.
    Post edited by ddeschler on
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Rumors that Tiger will play with Charlie in the PNC if they let him use a cart.
    eddiec said:
    I think PNC would ask for their money back if Tiger is declined due to a cart.
    eddiec said:
    Hey Eddie - Going to see if the third try is a charm and I can get to Ireland next July.  All the tee times are booked.  Hopefully you are getting a lot of nice golf in after the courses opened back up.
    eddiec said:
    This would be fantastic
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • They showed Tiger on Golf Channel hitting some pitch shots at the Hero.  His right leg was in a sleeve, and looked extremely thin.  Maybe he can play a hit and giggle in a cart at a resort course.  He's got a long way back to get to previous levels though.
    Tiger will do the PNC with his son next week. Awesome
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Very cool.
  •   I have a golf trip to Bandon Dunes over Christmas
    Conditions look tough there today.  45 degrees, 23 mph wind, 100% chance of rain!  Hope it's better for you around Christmas.  Let us know how it goes.
    ddeschler said:
      I have a golf trip to Bandon Dunes over Christmas
    Conditions look tough there today.  45 degrees, 23 mph wind, 100% chance of rain!  Hope it's better for you around Christmas.  Let us know how it goes.
    Cold. Wind. Rain. Difficult Course. GOOD LUCK!
    chinese-happy.jpg