Options

Questions for those who have travelled from Canada to USA

BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,463
edited November 2021 in All Encompassing Trip
The wife and I are heading to Florida in a couple of weeks for a vacation. We are both Vaccinated and have are QR codes to show proof. I just thought I would see if any of you have travelled to US recently and can provide any little details that I should keep in mind
I've been reading the Air Canada site for the last 45 mins just to make sure I have everything they require to board that plane. So basically it looks like I need:

- Proof of vaccination
- PCR test 72 hrs prior to flight 
- PCR test 72 hrs prior to our return flight home

Can anyone tell me if I can get PCR test at Walgreens and how much? Seems these tests can range from free to upwards of $300. I prefer the free one if possible.

Just trying to get all my ducks in a row here as I worry about all the little shit and afraid i could potentially forget something and get turned away from boarding the plane which will mean vacation cancelled and a very long drive home with an unhappy wife.
Appreciate all the help and any tips you all may have to offer!
2005 - London
2009 - Toronto
2010 - Buffalo
2011 - Toronto 1&2
2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
2018 - Fenway 1&2
2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
2023 - Chicago 1&2
Post edited by BLACK35 on

Comments

• Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    edited November 2021
    Haven’t travelled yet, but will do a land crossing in December hopefully (less than 72 hours)
    the one thing I didn’t see you mention is the ArriveCan app? (Not sure if that’s just for land crossings or air too)
    hopefully you can snag a free PCR test. Someone I know had a bit of a run around. Free test were only for US citizens where they were in Wisc. Ended up having to drive to Illinois to get the proper test and was expensive. So get the test thing sorted out to reduce your stress before you go
    Post edited by erebus on
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    For traveling to the US by air you don’t need a PCR test as a rapid antigen test  is accepted and is usually much cheaper. Just search online where you can get a rapid antigen test in your community - I have found them for as low as $75. Often you can get them at the airport. Make sure you book early. 

For your return, yes, you need a PCR test within 72 hours  of the scheduled departure time of your flight to Canada. Be very careful about that distinction - if you have another flight within the US first then don’t count the 72 hours from that initial departure, it’s from the departure of the flight that goes to Canada. Complicating this is the fact that you’ll need to show your negative test result to board your first flight so, depending on your routing, you don’t always have as much lead time as you think you do. 

I have flown across the border many times during the pandemic and each time has been stressful. The rules have changed mid trip a few times. However, I have been lucky enough to get free PCR tests at the state testing site. I know that’s not always the case as it varies state to state. Check online for the state you are going to as to their rules and also for the pharmacies. I am sure you will be able to get a test, it’s just the cost that’s at issue. 

And yes to being aware of the ArriveCAN app. You NEED to complete that within 72 hours of your return flight. If you don’t you’ll have a world of trouble, including being required to quarantine for 14 days even if you are fully vaccinated. The app will have you upload your vaccination data as well as passport data and the like. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Another thing - make sure you bring your vaccine cards with you. The Canadian QR codes won’t mean much in the US. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Good info on the PCR test. I checked at the Shoppers Drug Mart this afternoon, they dont do it, gave me info where I could get it done and its like $200, so ill look around for the rapid antigen test and hopefully ill find one for $75
    I did know about the ArriveCan App. I assume the wife will have to download it as well?

I'm also not sure about vaccine cards, I thought that's what's the QR codes were for. Is it just in BC where the vaccine cards are or is it straight across Canada? I wouldn't even know where to apply for them
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Yes, easiest I think if you and your wife both download the ArriveCAN app though I think you can input data for more than one person if you are a family traveling together. 

So you didn’t get a physical vaccine card when you got your shots? If so, that’s interesting as I assumed all of the provinces did that. Probably won’t impact you much in the US but there’s a chance that some restaurant or venue might require it. Do you have any concerts or anything like that planned? 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,473
    The trick that some Canadians who travelled to Ohana did to get the US government to foot the bill was they provided the address of their hotel when booking the PCR test home.

Canada upgraded recommendations of quality of masks last week, too.

There is a federal vaccine proof to download now required for flying.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/travel/current

Link to the federal vaccine proof you need as of Oct. 30, 2021

Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    tish said:
    The trick that some Canadians who travelled to Ohana did to get the US government to foot the bill was they provided the address of their hotel when booking the PCR test home.

I had not thought of that. So they don't ask for any ID at the time of the test? I haven't been asked for ID but then again I go to a site that accepts all comers. 
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited November 2021
    tish said:

I had not thought of that. So they don't ask for any ID at the time of the test? I haven't been asked for ID but then again I go to a site that accepts all comers. 
    I can confirm this worked for my wife and I in Santa Ana. I set up the testing online through a CVS pharmacy near our hotel. I used the hotel for the address and my email for test results. The testing was a drive through and the nurse providing the test kits to self administer the nasal swab did not request identification. We completed the test and the PCR results were emailed within 54 hours. 

While I learned about this on the a forum from Canadians who went to OhanaFest the previous weekend, this “trick” is pretty well known. A news radio program here in Calgary had the owner of the flytrippers website on to talk about it. Here is the article from the website:
    https://flytrippers.com/getting-covid-19-test-usa-for-canadians/?highlight=PCR

For the antigen test to enter the US prior to leaving, select Shoopers Drug Marts do the test for $40 and you get the results in mere minutes. In either case, get the test within 72 hours of boarding the flight which crosses the border. If you have a connecting flight, make sure you include that in your 72 hour calculation. 

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    tish said:
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/travel/current

Link to the federal vaccine proof you need as of Oct. 30, 2021

The wife and i do have these, I assume these are the ID cards then
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    So,sounds like a few of you are saying we can get the rapid antigen test at shoppers, which i always thhought you could use. But on the air canada site it has a red X beside the rapid antigen test. So little,confused. I'm going to stop into travel,agency today and see what they say as well. 
    Really appreciate he info all, thanks.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    So did a little checking yesterday with a couple local travel agents, one of them was useless and the other very helpful. Like you mentioned @oftenreading it looks like a rapid antigen test is all I need going down and the PCR test coming back
    Again appreciate all the reply 😁
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:
    So did a little checking yesterday with a couple local travel agents, one of them was useless and the other very helpful. Like you mentioned @oftenreading it looks like a rapid antigen test is all I need going down and the PCR test coming back
    Again appreciate all the reply 😁
    This is correct. Nothing has changed here since we went to Ohana in October. I have been playing close attention as we are going to Vegas/Utah/Death Valley over the holidays. 
  • Options
    Thanks @1ThoughtKnown
    Booked my test for next Wednesday  Enjoy your trip over the holidays!
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Just read an article on MarketWatch - Someone in the know is leaking info that more stringent requirements to enter the US are forthcoming(within the next few days). Be sure to pay close attention to any official announcements. This is all in reaction to thr omicron variant and includes both unvaccinated and vaccinated folks. From the article:

The precise testing protocols were still being finalized ahead of a speech by President Joe Biden planned for Thursday on the nation’s plans to control the COVID-19 pandemic during the winter season, according to a senior administration official who said some details could still change. Among the policies being considered is a requirement that all air travelers to the U.S. be tested for COVID-19 within a day of boarding their flight. Currently those who are fully vaccinated may present a test taken within three days of boarding.

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    Perfect, another week of worry and wondering about any changes that could happen before we leave. Well fingers crossed
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:
    Perfect, another week of worry and wondering about any changes that could happen before we leave. Well fingers crossed
    Yeah, that’s the way travel goes right now. It really sucks and for me the stress around cross border travel keeps going up because of the rapidity at which the requirements can jchange and you just have to adapt. Good luck to you!
  • Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Crossed the border quickly this morning to pick up Gigaton and Vault 10 vinyl. Gigaton was sitting there for over a year. Picked up some other parcels and some chocolate bars and sodas we don’t have here lol and a Powerball ticket for my dad.
    Was given a take home Covid test at the border on the way back which has to be done within 24 hours.
    I definitely think the border will be closed again, not sure when.

1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    It’s a pretty fluid situation for sure. 
  • Options
    Well looks like I have to change my test date to Friday now. If only I was going this weekend, I would have avoided all these changes. Oh well such is life.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:
    Well looks like I have to change my test date to Friday now. If only I was going this weekend, I would have avoided all these changes. Oh well such is life.
    It’s a real roll with the punches situation these days. Don’t be surprised if your flights get changed or if there are further border changes. One has to think hard as to whether the stress and the small but realistic possibility of being stuck somewhere away from home and unable to return outweigh the benefit of the trip or not. 
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:
    It’s a real roll with the punches situation these days. Don’t be surprised if your flights get changed or if there are further border changes. One has to think hard as to whether the stress and the small but realistic possibility of being stuck somewhere away from home and unable to return outweigh the benefit of the trip or not. 
    This is what my wife and I are going to be discussing over the next week. A relaxing Xmas vacation at home isn’t the end of the world. That story out of Oslo (staff Christmas party) about how quickly omicron can spread through vaccinated people has me reconsidering things.
    I think 60 out of a 100 ended up with the variant. I’m vaccinated and all, but don’t want to test positive and be stuck footing the bill for 14 days in Vegas…. Isolated in a hotel room 

I’m going to watch this closely, but if you can’t hide from omicron, I’ll just stay home
  • Options
    ^ I found an insurance company that would have paid for 10 of those days 300 a day max, qualification for coverage required vaccination.
  • Options
    tish said:
    ^ I found an insurance company that would have paid for 10 of those days 300 a day max, qualification for coverage required vaccination.

Can you share please?

I have purchased travel health/travel insurance for each of the trips I've made to the US during covid and, since I've made I think 7 trips, the costs are stacking up.
  • Options
    For my wife and I, we so looking forward to going on our vacation, we have money invested, it's so within our grasp, we are going now.
     If we were just thinking of maybe booking a trip for future, we would probably hold off
    We have our worries, we have a plan on keeping our distance from people best we can. Most of it will consist of sitting at the beach, drinking beers.
    We have also decided to get a hotel the night before so We can get to the airport earlier (like 4hrs ealier) to hopefully help ease the stress of I'm sure certain delays
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    We are pulling the pin. Vacations are intended to be relaxing and this just seems like work. Everything we booked was refundable (except perhaps the taxes and fees used for a flight booked on points). 
    Christmas relaxing at home in Cowtown will be just fine. The mountains are close by. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    If you leave Canada you must use the arrive Canada app…lmfao.  What fucking nonsense.  Must be hard for over paid government minions manning a booth to look at my proof of vaccine receipt…this country is run by fucking amateurs…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    If you leave Canada you must use the arrive Canada app…lmfao.  What fucking nonsense.  Must be hard for over paid government minions manning a booth to look at my proof of vaccine receipt…this country is run by fucking amateurs…
    The ArriveCAN app is simple to use and provides the government recorded evidence. It isn’t nonsense, it’s called due diligence. 
  • Options
    The ArriveCAN app is simple to use and provides the government recorded evidence. It isn’t nonsense, it’s called due diligence. 
    Agreed. It’s a quick and simple process that confirms the traveller has all of the necessary documentation, or not. It speeds up the arrival procedure significantly, which is what we all want when we’ve had a long flight or drive, right? 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    There are plenty of people that do not own smart phones nor should you anyone need a phone just to go to the US on day trip…this is just more bs from an extremely incompetent government…Trudeau is just incompetent … if it wasn’t for his lowlife name he’d be shovelling shit in horse barns…
    Give Peas A Chance…