Options

Questions for those who have travelled from Canada to USA

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    If you leave Canada you must use the arrive Canada app…lmfao.  What fucking nonsense.  Must be hard for over paid government minions manning a booth to look at my proof of vaccine receipt…this country is run by fucking amateurs…
    The ArriveCAN app is simple to use and provides the government recorded evidence. It isn’t nonsense, it’s called due diligence. 
    There are plenty of people that do not own smart phones nor should you anyone need a phone just to go to the US on day trip…this is just more bs from an extremely incompetent government…Trudeau is just incompetent … if it wasn’t for his lowlife name he’d be shovelling shit in horse barns…
    There are options for those who don’t have a phone. The fact that you don’t know that demonstrates that you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about here. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,480
    If you leave Canada you must use the arrive Canada app…lmfao.  What fucking nonsense.  Must be hard for over paid government minions manning a booth to look at my proof of vaccine receipt…this country is run by fucking amateurs…
    The ArriveCAN app is simple to use and provides the government recorded evidence. It isn’t nonsense, it’s called due diligence. 
    There are plenty of people that do not own smart phones nor should you anyone need a phone just to go to the US on day trip…this is just more bs from an extremely incompetent government…Trudeau is just incompetent … if it wasn’t for his lowlife name he’d be shovelling shit in horse barns…
    Well the rules are what the rules are, can't do much about it. I'm just trying to follow them the best I can in order to be able to go on our trip
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,600
    tish said:
    ^ I found an insurance company that would have paid for 10 of those days 300 a day max, qualification for coverage required vaccination.

Can you share please?

I have purchased travel health/travel insurance for each of the trips I've made to the US during covid and, since I've made I think 7 trips, the costs are stacking up.
    Pacific blue cross
  • Options
    tish said:
    tish said:
    ^ I found an insurance company that would have paid for 10 of those days 300 a day max, qualification for coverage required vaccination.

Can you share please?

I have purchased travel health/travel insurance for each of the trips I've made to the US during covid and, since I've made I think 7 trips, the costs are stacking up.
    Pacific blue cross

Thanks! I'll check into that option for my next trip. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Ottawa woman in two-week quarantine says she couldn't access ArriveCan app

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ottawa-woman-in-two-week-quarantine-says-she-couldn-t-access-arrivecan-app-1.5694643

you know what works always, showing the minions who man those booths your vaccination receipt from your provincial government.  What can we expect from the dolts in the government…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Pulling my receipt out of my wallet does not require a smart phone or an internet connection…amazing eh!!!  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Oh, so now it’s a Trudeau thing. Save it pal, not interested. 
  • Options
    Ya I got Blue Cross, $66 For my wife and I 
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,493
    Well let me tell you, if you get to Florida, nobody is gonna care if your vaccinated or even if you bother wearing a mask.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Well let me tell you, if you get to Florida, nobody is gonna care if your vaccinated or even if you bother wearing a mask.
    Part of the reason it is frightening to go. No one cares and you get Covid and have to pay for an additional 14 days in the US under quarantine. 
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,493
    Part of the reason it is frightening to go. No one cares and you get Covid and have to pay for an additional 14 days in the US under quarantine. 
    Honestly I really shouldn't pick on Florida. Pennsylvania isn't much different, but at least the school mask mandate is still in effect. It's probably gonna be gone in a month or so.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Apparently they will now be more flexible at the border with people coming back…

you know what never fails.  The vaccine receipt in my wallet…

Too bad Canada did not have a competent government somewhere, anywhere?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Well have to say that was pretty smooth getting thru all the security. Had all my ducks in a row. It took just under an hr to get thru it all. Just waiting now
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:
    Well have to say that was pretty smooth getting thru all the security. Had all my ducks in a row. It took just under an hr to get thru it all. Just waiting now
    Best of luck for a smooth, safe and great trip. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,813
    edited December 2021
    There are other cheaper tests you can use to arrive back in Canada. We got a NAATs test and it was cheaper with quicker results than a PCR. You have to have the test 72hrs or sooner from the time of your scheduled departure flight not when you actually cross the border. Also keep in mind that if you have a connecting flight and not a direct flight from Florida to Canada you have to use the time of your connecting flights departure as the time stamp on the 72hrs. 

Acceptable tests to get back into Canada

PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
    Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
    Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)

Also to get into the US you have to test the day before you travel. The actual time of the test does not matter. You can also use an anitgen test for this method which helps with those stricter timelines and the wallet. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    There are other cheaper tests you can use to arrive back in Canada. We got a NAATs test and it was cheaper with quicker results than a PCR. You have to have the test 72hrs or sooner from the time of your scheduled departure flight not when you actually cross the border. Also keep in mind that if you have a connecting flight and not a direct flight from Florida to Canada you have to use the time of your connecting flights departure as the time stamp on the 72hrs. 

Also to get into the US you have to test the day before you travel. You can also use an anitgen test for this method which helps with those stricter timelines and the wallet. 
    All decent advice, but I doubt it was cheaper than free. 
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited December 2021
    …..
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,813
    PJNB said:

Also to get into the US you have to test the day before you travel. You can also use an anitgen test for this method which helps with those stricter timelines and the wallet. 
    Free is good!  I actually took the time and read the whole thread all caught up now lol.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

Free is good!  I actually took the time and read the whole thread all caught up now lol.
    Hahaha. All good my man! 
  • Options
    Well we get to head home today, the wife and I both passed our PCR tests. It was a little nerve racking for myself waiting, I had to call the testing site and get them to hunt out my results. Slept like 3 hrs last night because ideas worrying too much. But set to go, I hope, fingers crossed.
    Oh and we got the PCR tests for free
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 696
    Piggybacking on this former thread.  I have EV tix and am just trying to navigate the current travel rules going from Canada to US and back.  Have the ability to go via air or land crossing (if there’s any difference).  I’d love to hear from anyone who has recent experience on navigating the current rules.  Wasn’t sure if the recent cutback in test availability in Ontario makes this more difficult.  Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any responses.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Try to get a positive PCR test so you don't potentially get stuck there for 11 days and-or buy covid insurance. (Then you won't require a  negative PCR test to get back in.) I found it useful to have a backup hotel plan just in case.

Look to the government websites for all your information as it constantly changes.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    I agree with keeping tabs on the government website as I would hate to steer you wrong. There haven't been any recent changes in requirements or testing that I'm aware of but there could easily be one in the next few weeks.

Testing on both sides of the border has been more difficult lately with the shortage of tests. I can't speak for Ontario but I do know that the last time I went through YVR (Vancouver airport) the lineups for testing were awful and people were missing their flights as it sometimes took hours to get through. If you can book and pay for a test at a private community clinic, do that in preference to an airport test centre, and that applies to both sides of the border. For peace of mind, on your way back best to book and pay for a rapid molecular test (which is expensive, I know) rather than a regular PCR test unless they have an airtight guarantee that you'll get it back in time - I've seen some private travel clinics charge for regular PCR tests but not promise to get it back in time. 

And yes to having travel insurance that specifically applies to covid, not just health insurance (which is a no brainer) but also for travel delays, flight cancellations, need to quarantine, etc. 
  • Options
    Great thanks for the responses. Was looking at the government sites too, just wondered about an lived experience tips and tricks.  Thanks again
  • Options
    As someone that recently travelled back from US (in Dec) before shit seem to hit the fan with the Omicron. We flew out of Toronto and was able to get   a rapid antigen test at Shoppers (which was all that was required) 24 hrs before my flight with results for $40 
    While in Florida, I found a state run facility that provided  PCR test for free and all we had to do was get it 72 hrs prior to our flight. Didn't even need to an appointment. Not sure if the 72 hr window is still the same for coming back into Canada from US.
    The wife and I were able to get Covid insurance thru Blue Cross to cover us for 1 week and it cost us $66 Canadian.
    Let me know if any other questions. 

And getting the ArriveCan app is essential
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Great thanks a lot
  • Options
    I’ve got to start paying attention to this again. Waiting with great anticipation for the PJ spring tour announcement. Still sitting on Denver GA tickets! 
  • Options
    Just thinking... if rapid tests can pick up disease from 90 days back, and PCRs are better, if we don't document omicron infection, we could get fucked traveling in the future if tests pick up this old (current) bug? 

Ok g'nite brain.
  • Options
    tish said:
    Just thinking... if rapid tests can pick up disease from 90 days back, and PCRs are better, if we don't document omicron infection, we could get fucked traveling in the future if tests pick up this old (current) bug? 

Ok g'nite brain.
    This was my biggest fear when we took the rapid test 24 hrs before our flight to Florida in December
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    That was my worry too, having recently had omicron (assumed based on rapid test only) in the family, but no way to document it.  Ended up canceling travel plans.