The Food Thread

Comments

• lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,928
    Alright peeps, here is a question.

Has anyone ever tried grinding a non prime, lower choice ribeye for burgers? I assume it'd come out somewhere between 70/30 & 80/20 depending on the cut. 

Trying to play around with a few different blends I have in mind, but son suggested this first. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Noooo idea. But do share 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Looks great, need to try that way
    First time I ever had it that way. Was surprised at how well it came out 
    My brother smoked our turkey too. Really tasty.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited November 2021
    Noooo idea. But do share 
    I just grinded it. Looks closer to 80/20. Going to pattie them up and grill them tonight (had leftovers for lunch, so breaking it up for dinner haha). 

I'll update on how they turned out. Doing a brisket/chuck blend tomorrow to put in the freezer.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Noooo idea. But do share 
    I just grinded it. Looks closer to 80/20. Going to pattie them up and grill them tonight (had leftovers for lunch, so breaking it up for dinner haha). 

I'll update on how they turned out. Doing a brisket/chuck blend tomorrow to put in the freezer.
    Sounds delicious
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Noooo idea. But do share 

What do you have for a grinder? Kinda interested in this. Would like to do something like this, or homemade sausage.
    edited November 2021
    I actually use the grinder attachment for our Kitchenaid mixer. Works great! 

Been wanting to try sausage as well.

Post edited by lmckenney24 on
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    I always get a hot chicken sandwich when I visit family in Nashville. This spot is the original, before Hattie B’s, which is probably the most popular (and very good). Fried chicken breast smothered in hot sauce, pickle and coleslaw (I left it on the side). The number of heat options was crazy. Plain, light mild, mild, medium, hot, x hot, xx hot, xxx hot. I told her I like spicy stuff and wanted to sweat a bit, and asked if they could do half hot, half x hot. She was adamant to not get the x hot. Hot was habanero based and x hot was ghost pepper based. Turned out she was right as the hot was extremely spicy, but it’s crazy they have 3 higher levels and push hard to not go there. Very good sandwich. Crappy picture, btw…

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I would love to have that, sounds like an awesome meal!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    edited November 2021
    You know what they say about Nashville hot chicken, damn good going in, not so much going out  =) And I still get it each time I am in that town!
    ^ Amen!  A must have every time I’m there. I’m finding that there is no universal definition of hot, x hot, etc. from spot to spot. This place (Prince’s Hot Chicken) was by far the spiciest. I could have handled the next level, but would not have tasted the food. 
    bbiggs said:
    I always get a hot chicken sandwich when I visit family in Nashville. This spot is the original, before Hattie B’s, which is probably the most popular (and very good). Fried chicken breast smothered in hot sauce, pickle and coleslaw (I left it on the side). The number of heat options was crazy. Plain, light mild, mild, medium, hot, x hot, xx hot, xxx hot. I told her I like spicy stuff and wanted to sweat a bit, and asked if they could do half hot, half x hot. She was adamant to not get the x hot. Hot was habanero based and x hot was ghost pepper based. Turned out she was right as the hot was extremely spicy, but it’s crazy they have 3 higher levels and push hard to not go there. Very good sandwich. Crappy picture, btw…

Princes? I am dying to have this. 
    bbiggs said:

Damn that looks good!
    bbiggs said:

Princes? I am dying to have this. 
    Yes sir. Princes. Definitely recommended if you’re down there. 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    bbiggs said:

Wow. Looks amazing. I started to sweat and slightly panic with your description of the heat levels!
    Papaya salad and fried baby Calamari with Thai dipping sauce.

Looks great!
    Homemade dim sum night (cheated on the actual buns, they were frozen)

Great spread. 
    Those spicy cucumbers look tasty. And those peppers...
    eddiec said:

Great spread. 
    Those spicy cucumbers look tasty. And those peppers...
    Thanks man. Good work too. Calamari looks amazing 
    Yes!
    Cooked this last night after my brother sent me the recipe.
    Duck Soba with seasoned spinach and crispy scallions.

Looks amazing.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    eddiec said:

Udon, not soba? Kamo nanban inspired.
    eddiec said:

Damn that looks delicious. Nicely done, as always. 
    edited December 2021
    Get_Right said:
    eddiec said:

Udon, not soba? Kamo nanban inspired.
    The recipe was for Soba, but when I went through my noodle drawer, I realised I was out and it was too late to go the Asian shop. I substituted with Udon.

Yeah, it's Dashi broth with soy and mirin.
    Post edited by eddiec on
    Truffle night

Truffle risotto
    Truffle pasta

Decadent.  Really strong flavors.

Oh hell yeah. I need to hear more about this. What is that box? How was doing the risotto? Never made it 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    Truffle night

Truffle risotto
    Truffle pasta

Decadent.  Really strong flavors.

Looks amazing. Very decadent. Enjoy!!

That was the top of the pasta box.  Dried.
    Here is the bottom

The risotto was easy.  The ingredients came in a jar.  Boil some water, add the ingredients, and lower heat.  From there it is on how you like it, how much butter or Parm (or whatever else) you add.
    Really good.
    Stuff was ordered from an online place - I was ordering some fish eggs and saw these.  Couldn't resist