Options

Hit and run posts with no source.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,682
Dear mods,
Can we put an end to these hit and run trolling memes, especially the ones that not not include the source?  It's obvious trolling and is making a bad joke out of some of the threads here.  I know of other forums that do not allow simply posting memes with no content from the poster and no source.  Seems like a good idea.  Thanks for considering it.
(Just a heads up from the get-go, I will ignore any snarky remarks and trolling of this post.)
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    brianlux said:
    Dear mods,
    Can we put an end to these hit and run trolling memes, especially the ones that not not include the source?  It's obvious trolling and is making a bad joke out of some of the threads here.  I know of other forums that do not allow simply posting memes with no content from the poster and no source.  Seems like a good idea.  Thanks for considering it.
    (Just a heads up from the get-go, I will ignore any snarky remarks and trolling of this post.)
    I post a lot of GIFS. I hope those are ok! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ^^^
    As far as I know, a gif posted by itself with no comment is allowed (although I can't say for certain).   I just think it's better to include a statement of one's own.  But I'm not a moderator, so that's just my take. 
    What I find irritating are gif meant merely to troll a thread, especially when the do not include a source.  They just take up space and are meant to pester.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Where would society be. If one would not be allowed to respond with a single GIF.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Where would society be. If one would not be allowed to respond with a single GIF.

Real?

• Options
    I get what you are saying sort of.

However I read words in a lot of these threads and people are not sourcing what they are writing with footnotes and a bibliography page.  I’ve found some factual inaccuracies.

where does it end? A meme is meant to convey a thought, an idea, a point, and in a funny way.  Pretty much by definition it’s not supposed to be taken literally.

as long as it’s on topic I have less of an issue with a meme than reading a paragraph that is also made up and inaccurate.  At least with the meme I know it’s not supposed to be treated as fact, I can’t say that for a written comment. 

A picture says a thousand words. If I found a GIF instead I would save you the time of reading several paragraphs 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    I get what you are saying sort of.

However I read words in a lot of these threads and people are not sourcing what they are writing with footnotes and a bibliography page.  I’ve found some factual inaccuracies.

where does it end? A meme is meant to convey a thought, an idea, a point, and in a funny way.  Pretty much by definition it’s not supposed to be taken literally.

as long as it’s on topic I have less of an issue with a meme than reading a paragraph that is also made up and inaccurate.  At least with the meme I know it’s not supposed to be treated as fact, I can’t say that for a written comment. 

A picture says a thousand words. If I found a GIF instead I would save you the time of reading several paragraphs 
    return of the jedi episode 6 GIF by Star Wars
    www.cluthelee.com