Artists you love but hate to admit :D

Comments

• mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    Def Leppard has always been my guilty little secret.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    And its precisely the main point.  Taylor is making more interesting, relevant, career defining and culture defining music than anyone in rock.  Whats the last big rock band to influence the world and culture?  I cant come up with one.  Yet whatever you think of Taylor, Ed, or even Doja, theres no question THEY move culture.  Theres no debate at all.  Thats why kids today listen to it.  Rock got stale and boring, which is a shame as its an amazing genre with rich history.  But if I want experimental, interesting, out there music, i'd go check out whats happening in hiphop and pop, sooner than rock.  Taylor changes image and sound up every single album.  Rock to my ears in the last 20 years, where's the innovation?  Its the same album, cycle after cycle.  Change it up a little, maybe!  Name an artists in ANY medium in the last 20 years who has changed culture more than Taylor.  She is it, literally.  I love me some grunge, but if I want stuff thats "of the moment and state of the art", id sooner play her music than turn on some bland rock music station playing "modern rock".  Its boring.  

I am absolutely serious when I say this: looking at the world today, I very much doubt I would have any interest in any band in recent years that might have influenced world and culture.  In fact, most everything that has come out in this century has been produced by people who are not big on the world picture and have not influenced the world as it is today.  Thank the music gods for the great lesser known music artists of this century!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:
    And its precisely the main point.  Taylor is making more interesting, relevant, career defining and culture defining music than anyone in rock.  Whats the last big rock band to influence the world and culture?  I cant come up with one.  Yet whatever you think of Taylor, Ed, or even Doja, theres no question THEY move culture.  Theres no debate at all.  Thats why kids today listen to it.  Rock got stale and boring, which is a shame as its an amazing genre with rich history.  But if I want experimental, interesting, out there music, i'd go check out whats happening in hiphop and pop, sooner than rock.  Taylor changes image and sound up every single album.  Rock to my ears in the last 20 years, where's the innovation?  Its the same album, cycle after cycle.  Change it up a little, maybe!  Name an artists in ANY medium in the last 20 years who has changed culture more than Taylor.  She is it, literally.  I love me some grunge, but if I want stuff thats "of the moment and state of the art", id sooner play her music than turn on some bland rock music station playing "modern rock".  Its boring.  

I am absolutely serious when I say this: looking at the world today, I very much doubt I would have any interest in any band in recent years that might have influenced world and culture.  In fact, most everything that has come out in this century has been produced by people who are not big on the world picture and have not influenced the world as it is today.  Thank the music gods for the great lesser known music artists of this century!
    Who specifically are you talking about here?  
    brianlux said:

As far as lesser known greats making music today?  These are some that keep me inspired these days:
    Besides better known and still at it favorites Dinosaur Jr and Lou Barlow's work:
    Steve Wynn: Including the reformed The Dream Syndicate with the amazing Jason Victor playing lead guitar. Also his bands The Baseball
    Project (which include half of R.E.M.), Steve Wynn and the Miracle Three, and Danny and Dusty.
    Juliana Hatfield:  Certainly not new to the scene, but putting out great music at a rate to match almost anyone half her age.
    La Hell Gang: Only one LP that I've been able to track down so far (Thru Me Again), but this Chilean make some amazing Neo-psychedelia.
    Follakzoid:  Amazing 21st century Krautrock, also from Chile.
    Wolf Eyes:  I don't know how to explain this band.  There is nothing out there like them.
    Earthless:  And anything else Isaiah Mitchell has been up to.  More powerful than a 6.2 earthquake.
    Kikagaku Moyo:  Amazing young Japanese that includes and electric sitar thing- at least that's what it looks like.  Very cool!

These, among others.  None of them are going to show up on your daily feed or maybe not even make it on the cover of Rolling Stone.  They are not shaping culture, but they are shaping the minds of curious listeners seeking something beyond the pale of the vast majority of today's uninspired, re-fried, and regurgitated music.  Not that any of that is bad.  (I don't believe in bad music.)

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

They are not shaping culture, but they are shaping the minds of curious listeners seeking something beyond the pale...

Isn't this technically shaping the culture? 

edited November 2021
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

They are not shaping culture, but they are shaping the minds of curious listeners seeking something beyond the pale...

Isn't this technically shaping the culture? 

It would be if our culture had more people curious beyond the popular stuff that makes the rounds.  I don't mean to sound harsh or condescending, but the average person really doesn't care enough about music to look past the easily consumed and/or readily available popular music.  And popular and readily available music, at this point in time, is really not adding much to the culture. When I ask, who is our Louis Armstrong or Charlie Parker, or John Coltrane of Jimi Hendrix or The Beatles or Brian Eno of today, about the only answer I get is "Kanye".   Jeez, how do I respond politely to that?  But I do think something revolutionary will happen again in music.   We're overdue.

I don't mean to put down passive listeners- although I do love to turn people on to really great, lesser known music.  But, like, cuisine culture.  What do I know?  Very little.  I cook, and I cook often, but I improvise and do my own thing (my latest creation is something I call "Brian's North of the Border Tacos").  But real top-notch cuisine?  It's just not something I'm into. 

• Check out the media just this week about Britney.  And specifically "Im a slave 4 U", which caused all us rockers to roll our eyes and gag, and caused society at large to meltdown about her image, the message she was sending kids and young girls.  Now 20 years later, the song is being looked at again and in a new context.  So who was right and who was wrong back in 1999 about Britney?  Was it us, the rockers who looked down our nose at those teenyboppers listening to that when they should have been listening to underground rock?  Or was it the bubblegum pop fans who enjoyed the hell out of the music back then and continue to?  At some point you gotta evolve, dude.  
    I never stopped evolving.

In the mid 90's we started to get spoonfed "grunge" acts.  That killed that genre and industry real quick.  I didn't care if the band was major signed or indie signed.  if it sounded good I listened to it.  So I might have listened to Slant 6 or Smashing Pumpkins to Chemical brothers and E40.

Radio is spoonfeeding you music, to deny that would be disingenuous.  They have playlists on rotation for a reason.  I enjoy college radio and hiphop stations more than any rock stations.  Are there any rock stations anymore?

• My son put us on his unlimited iTunes downloads that he pays for (wasn’t even Christmas or birthday) and it’s the perfect gift.  
    Started listening to more stuff by Katy Perry and Lady Gaga….if you have a young daughter make sure you read the lyrics cause these girls can be filthy (slight innuendo throughout some songs).  And some excellent lyrics about accepting and loving yourself.
    I’m good with it but don’t have a daughter.  Everyone labels everyone and everything so bubble gum music, I don’t care cause these women can sing their asses off. Im agreeing with musicismylife and a lot of other postings above. 
    Katy Perry and Lady Gaga are NOT bubblegum pop either.  Both are perfecting their crafts.

One hit wonders are generally the bubblegum stuff I would think of.
  • brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

As far as lesser known greats making music today?  These are some that keep me inspired these days:
    Besides better known and still at it favorites Dinosaur Jr and Lou Barlow's work:
    Steve Wynn: Including the reformed The Dream Syndicate with the amazing Jason Victor playing lead guitar. Also his bands The Baseball
    Project (which include half of R.E.M.), Steve Wynn and the Miracle Three, and Danny and Dusty.
    Juliana Hatfield:  Certainly not new to the scene, but putting out great music at a rate to match almost anyone half her age.
    La Hell Gang: Only one LP that I've been able to track down so far (Thru Me Again), but this Chilean make some amazing Neo-psychedelia.
    Wolf Eyes:  I don't know how to explain this band.  There is nothing out there like them.
    Earthless:  And anything else Isaiah Mitchell has been up to.  More powerful than a 6.2 earthquake.
    Kikagaku Moyo:  Amazing young Japanese that includes and electric sitar thing- at least that's what it looks like.  Very cool!

These, among others.  None of them are going to show up on your daily feed or maybe not even make it on the cover of Rolling Stone.  They are not shaping culture, but they are shaping the minds of curious listeners seeking something beyond the pale of the vast majority of today's uninspired, re-fried, and regurgitated music.  Not that any of that is bad.  (I don't believe in bad music.)

This is where you and I would differ.  I think artists like Jay Z, Kanye, Drake, Beyonce are all making a difference.  Not in the way you would most likely think of but they are changing a culture and a message.

Hell Fiineas and Billie Eilish are making doing good things.

The bands you do bring up are for higher learning maybe?  When kids shuffle off to college and enter someone else's dorm room?

I like this music talk.  It's fun.
  • I also think it’s important to note a lot of people are changing the culture whatever that means, in music, and that doesn’t mean they necessarily have easily have a message, or even one you agree with.  A poster seemed to balk at the idea that people like Taylor or pop artists are absolutely and have changed culture the last 10plus years to an extent not seen in rock or other genres.  I think it’s undeniable someone like Taylor’s impact.  It’s extremely self evident.  Or as someone brought up, Kanye.  You can love or hate him, it’s completely undeniable his influence on music, art, culture, hip hop, and even other genres.  Your appreciation of his music and art or him as a person isn’t dependent on that.  Can something be a classic and essential album and not be appealing to you?  Absolutely.  I was pointing out the influence on a gargantuan level that someone like Taylor has, versus some rinky dink rock band.  I was also trying to point out how malleable our viewpoint is.  The poster saying how awful the culture is that new big time artists are espousing and influencing, could very well and likely will be viewed quite differently by that poster, the participants and culture at large in 20 years.  Ithe redemption of Britney being the most current example.  People weren’t writing think pieces on her in 1998 and saying she was a deep thinker and had a valuable voice or function in society.  She was mocked, told she was promoting promiscuity and sexuality to a teenage audience, and her music itself was ridiculed.   I agree the mentality we were sold In The 90s was harmful, but it wasn’t just record labels spoonfeeding is that.  Ed promulgated that, as did Kurt.  We weren’t supposed to like “corporate magazines or corporate rock”, we should hate hair metal and GnR, we need to listen to “authentic rock”.  Ultimately music is music.  If it’s good it’s good, reguardless or record label status or pop star status or whatever people say.  
  • pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,786
    edited November 2021
    I used to listen to Tonic back in the day. Their debut and next album Sugar were pretty solid albums. I even went to see them a few times back in the 00’s. 
  • My son put us on his unlimited iTunes downloads that he pays for (wasn’t even Christmas or birthday) and it’s the perfect gift.  
    Started listening to more stuff by Katy Perry and Lady Gaga….if you have a young daughter make sure you read the lyrics cause these girls can be filthy (slight innuendo throughout some songs).  And some excellent lyrics about accepting and loving yourself.
    I’m good with it but don’t have a daughter.  Everyone labels everyone and everything so bubble gum music, I don’t care cause these women can sing their asses off. Im agreeing with musicismylife and a lot of other postings above. 
    Katy Perry and Lady Gaga are NOT bubblegum pop either.  Both are perfecting their crafts.

Maybe not now especially with Gaga, but both absolutely have been labeled as bubblegum pop.  When “I kissed a girl and liked it” came out that was viewed as bubblegum pop and viewed as crap by rock elitists.  And when Gaga was wearing odd clothes to award shows and singing about her poker face, was she taken seriously and as a serious musician by society, or as a pop star.  Hell, I’m sure if you look at the thread for A Star is Born, right here, there were people whining about how a pop star like that was going to be in the movie and not a “real musician”.  Gaga’s appreciation as a “real singer” is very recent, that movie specifically changed it, as did her duetting with Tony Bennett.  It’s malleable as I just said.  The same people who slagged both off as bubblegum pop in 2009, now call them serious musicians.  At a certain point it just becomes silly.  
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

This is where you and I would differ.  I think artists like Jay Z, Kanye, Drake, Beyonce are all making a difference.  Not in the way you would most likely think of but they are changing a culture and a message.

Hell Fiineas and Billie Eilish are making doing good things.

The bands you do bring up are for higher learning maybe?  When kids shuffle off to college and enter someone else's dorm room?

I like this music talk.  It's fun.

Oh heck yeah!  I'm always up for talking about music!  :smiley:

I also think it’s important to note a lot of people are changing the culture whatever that means, in music, and that doesn’t mean they necessarily have easily have a message, or even one you agree with.  A poster seemed to balk at the idea that people like Taylor or pop artists are absolutely and have changed culture the last 10plus years to an extent not seen in rock or other genres.  I think it’s undeniable someone like Taylor’s impact.  It’s extremely self evident.  Or as someone brought up, Kanye.  You can love or hate him, it’s completely undeniable his influence on music, art, culture, hip hop, and even other genres.  Your appreciation of his music and art or him as a person isn’t dependent on that.  Can something be a classic and essential album and not be appealing to you?  Absolutely.  I was pointing out the influence on a gargantuan level that someone like Taylor has, versus some rinky dink rock band.  I was also trying to point out how malleable our viewpoint is.  The poster saying how awful the culture is that new big time artists are espousing and influencing, could very well and likely will be viewed quite differently by that poster, the participants and culture at large in 20 years.  Ithe redemption of Britney being the most current example.  People weren’t writing think pieces on her in 1998 and saying she was a deep thinker and had a valuable voice or function in society.  She was mocked, told she was promoting promiscuity and sexuality to a teenage audience, and her music itself was ridiculed.   I agree the mentality we were sold In The 90s was harmful, but it wasn’t just record labels spoonfeeding is that.  Ed promulgated that, as did Kurt.  We weren’t supposed to like “corporate magazines or corporate rock”, we should hate hair metal and GnR, we need to listen to “authentic rock”.  Ultimately music is music.  If it’s good it’s good, reguardless or record label status or pop star status or whatever people say.  

You can mention me by name, musicismylife, I don't mind.  I'm not at all opposed to others having differing view points or having my word critiqued.  No problem!
    As for Kanye, you may be right, and if in time he proves to have a lasting legacy at the level of musicians such as those I mentioned- Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, and Brian Eno- I will eat my words.  Actually, by that time, worms will probably be eating me, but that's another story.  :lol: 

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I'm never ashamed of my taste in music, and I would like to just defend Taylor Swift by saying she's awesome, an amazing talent, and anyone embarrassed to say they like her music should get over it - it just means you have good taste and don't bow down to idiots who hate on music they've never even really listened to. A lot of weird assumptions are made about that woman and her music and I don't know why. I think they just decided to lump her in with a big low-talent pop crowd, but have no clue what they're talking about.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Never talked to anyone being ashamed to listent o Taytay. She's like a modern day Madonna/Michael Jackson pop genius. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • I’d argue he’s already there.  Just as I argued for Taylor being included as well.  Kanye’s accomplishments, awards, influence in hip hop, how many albums he’s released that are considered genre defining classics, becoming one of the first hip hop billionaires, his undeniable influence in fashion, shoes, clothes, how albums are released and understood.  You listed a bunch of interesting bands like Juliana Hatfield and others but the idea that they are influencing their own genre much Less society at large to the extent Taylor and Kanye have and continue to, is something I disagree with strongly.  My guess is you aren’t a fan of “pop” music.  And that’s fine.  Do you have to like the Beatles or John Coltrane to understand their important, and why they are legends?  No.  Same with Kanye or any of the artists I listed.  You seem to have a disdain for current culture and a love of old eras.  More power to you.  That doesn’t mean however that the people influencing culture NOW are less important or have less value.  I don’t understand Cardi or Megan Thee Stallion but to suggest they don’t have a huge influence on culture is kind of absurd frankly, no disrespect to you intended. 
    Taylor and Kanye influenced society at a massive level and to deny this is to deny reality.  I’d argue there’s very few who have influenced culture more so.  Kanye is routinely listed in Best Rappers of All Time lists among the top 5, and has numerous albums in the genre that are widely recognized as some of the best albums of all time.  Taylor is one of the richest pop stars of all time and undeniably the most successful pop star of our lifetime other than Michael Jackson.  The idea Taylor and Kanye aren’t there yet just isn’t reality.  They are there.  I agree I don’t think they have reached Hendrix or Beatles level but they are literally right there.  In the room.  In the conversation.  And that’s more than 99.9 percent of their peers will ever achieve.    And Paul himself has co-signed both of them.  There’s a reason for that.  You seem to be signaling for some ambiguous time period when Taylor or Kanye are reknowned as being one of the best of all time.  As if that time is 10 years, 20 years into the future.  Or that that time may never come.  The time is here.  They both literally are at that tier.  It’s now.
  • Put another way, what do Kanye and Taylor have to do to achieve one of the best ever status?  In my view they’ve achieved it all and ticked all the boxes.  Albums and songs considered classic, sustained success lasting over a decade, critical and commercial success, business empire success, both have used their platforms to address larger cultural and societal issues making their mark larger than their fanbase or art form, respect of the people in their field who already are deemed best ever all time, Kanye and Taylor specifically are two of the best selling artists of all time.  And both have influenced society just as the greats did, fashion, art, music, politics, both are gigantic and larger than life just like the greats.  They are there alresdy
    No arguments from me here.  Just talkin' music.  :smile:

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    Love me some:

Sia

Taylor Swift

John Denver

Candlebox

Motley Crue/hair metal

Enya

Yanni

Skid Row
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    My son put us on his unlimited iTunes downloads that he pays for (wasn’t even Christmas or birthday) and it’s the perfect gift.  

Are you yelling at me (?) cause I said everyone else labels them and that I don’t care!  I get clobbered even when I agree with people! 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    I used to not want to admit that I liked the Carpenters. But now I don't care who knows. Karen Carpenter had an awesome voice!
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    GlowGirl said:
    I used to not want to admit that I liked the Carpenters. But now I don't care who knows. Karen Carpenter had an awesome voice!
    It’s awesome when you’ve learned, grown, matured enough to stop worrying what other people think isn’t it?  Didn’t happen to me till 50. 
    GlowGirl said:

Absolutely!  And a good drummer as well!

• Put another way, what do Kanye is and Taylor have to do to achieve one of the best ever status?  In my view they’ve achieved it all and ticked all the boxes.  Albums and songs considered classic, sustained success lasting over a decade, critical and commercial success, business empire success, both have used their platforms to address larger cultural and societal issues making their mark larger than their fanbase or art form, respect of the people in their field who already are deemed best ever all time, Kanye and Taylor specifically are two of the best selling artists of all time.  And both have influenced society just as the greats did, fashion, art, music, politics, both are gigantic and larger than life just like the greats.  They are there alresdy
    All due respect to Kigagaku Moya but the comparison isn’t even close.  It’s like comparing her influence of a local author who is popular in state, and someone like JK Rowling.  One has an influence sure, the other is literally the culture itself.  
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I used to listen to Tonic back in the day. Their debut and next album Sugar were pretty solid albums. I even went to see them a few times back in the 00’s. 
    Did you listen to the acoustic Lemon Parade reissue some years back? I love love love that record. Saw them in 96’ promoting it. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited November 2021
    Put another way, what do Kanye is and Taylor have to do to achieve one of the best ever status?  In my view they’ve achieved it all and ticked all the boxes.  Albums and songs considered classic, sustained success lasting over a decade, critical and commercial success, business empire success, both have used their platforms to address larger cultural and societal issues making their mark larger than their fanbase or art form, respect of the people in their field who already are deemed best ever all time, Kanye and Taylor specifically are two of the best selling artists of all time.  And both have influenced society just as the greats did, fashion, art, music, politics, both are gigantic and larger than life just like the greats.  They are there alresdy
    All due respect to Kigagaku Moya but the comparison isn’t even close.  It’s like comparing her influence of a local author who is popular in state, and someone like JK Rowling.  One has an influence sure, the other is literally the culture itself.  

Are you sure you know what you are talking about? Kikagaku Moya is a band, not a her.
    Post edited by brianlux on

• toolietoolie Posts: 388
    I just sent my wife a ticket link to Air Supply in case....you know, she wanted to go or something. I'd be fine tagging along, I guess :)
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
    edited November 2021
    Yes, typo

brianlux said:
    Put another way, what do Kanye is and Taylor have to do to achieve one of the best ever status?  In my view they’ve achieved it all and ticked all the boxes.  Albums and songs considered classic, sustained success lasting over a decade, critical and commercial success, business empire success, both have used their platforms to address larger cultural and societal issues making their mark larger than their fanbase or art form, respect of the people in their field who already are deemed best ever all time, Kanye and Taylor specifically are two of the best selling artists of all time.  And both have influenced society just as the greats did, fashion, art, music, politics, both are gigantic and larger than life just like the greats.  They are there alresdy

Are you sure you know what you are talking about? Kikagaku Moya is a band, not a her.

Post edited by musicismylife78 on
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
    edited November 2021
    Post edited by musicismylife78 on