NCAA College Football -

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    They should start every year off as a double elimination season.  Winner at the end is the National Champion.

Wouldn't that be fun?
    How would that work? There’s usually a couple undefeated and a few 1-loss teams at the end. So there’s have to be some sort of playoff where they face each other.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,601
    mace1229 said:
    They should start every year off as a double elimination season.  Winner at the end is the National Champion.

Wouldn't that be fun?
    How would that work? There’s usually a couple undefeated and a few 1-loss teams at the end. So there’s have to be some sort of playoff where they face each other.
    And how many teams play 2 games for the year... losing both
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    I feel like the committee did their part to try to make sure the PAC 12/BIG 12 had 1 representative between the 2, the B1G has a team there (2, IF Georgia beats Bama) and 2 SEC schools. 

Their initial rankings really seemed to me like they were done in order to make it difficult for that to happen. Try to ensure that neither Cincinnati, Wake Forest or Notre Dame creep in...without complete November chaos setting in. Not griping 1 bit, just my observation.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • mace1229 said:

Wouldn't that be fun?
    It's an elimination game.  There would most likely be only 1 undefeated team if any.

It's a bracket type of season w losers going to losers bracket, winners stay on.  Everyone keeps playing until last team w 1 or no losses is left.

They do it in other sports all the time.  Softball tourneys are big for that.
    mace1229 said:

Wouldn't that be fun?
    It's an elimination game.  There would most likely be only 1 undefeated team if any.

It's a bracket type of season w losers going to losers bracket, winners stay on.  Everyone keeps playing until last team w 1 or no losses is left.

Right so you have football programs that play only two football games for the year.  You really think that works?
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mace1229 said:

Wouldn't that be fun?

Yeah, most sports have a bracket. But most aren’t considered the championship except basketball. So you’d have to expand it to 64 teams make the bracket, is that what you’re thinking?
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    THEosu is gonna have to beat MSU, michigan and win the championship game to get into the CFP. if they can do that, they're deserving (assuming they don't lose to someone else).
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:

Wouldn't that be fun?

Right so you have football programs that play only two football games for the year.  You really think that works?
    You know, I never thought of that...

Have a regular season then do the eliminations.
  • mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Wouldn't that be fun?

Yeah, most sports have a bracket. But most aren’t considered the championship except basketball. So you’d have to expand it to 64 teams make the bracket, is that what you’re thinking?
    Something like that yes.
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    Last 3 weeks of the regular season coming up.  Should be an exciting finish!  GO DAWGS!
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    I was so hoping Bama would lose to LSU so they could have been moved down to 3 in the playoff rankings :)
    pjhawks said:
    I was so hoping Bama would lose to LSU so they could have been moved down to 3 in the playoff rankings :)
    Ha!  
    JojoRice said:
    Last 3 weeks of the regular season coming up.  Should be an exciting finish!  GO DAWGS!
    I think it will be an exciting finish. Now I'm just having fun with the hypotheticals:

•If UGA beats Bama, does a 2 loss Bama make it in over undefeated OU and/or CIN team?

•If Bama & UGA each finish with 1 loss, they are both in. Who gets the other 2 spots? Oregon/OSU/OU/UM/CIN/ND/MSU? 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited November 2021
    Manti Catfish would say ND!
    ;)

Those are good questions.
    Bama would beat either of those teams you list, I feel, but no....I think they take those teams over a two loss Bama squadron.

The other scenario?
    OU, Oregon.... although I have a tough time seeing Oregon not choking a game away, first, and letting OSU in.

Who knows.  Still so much crazy action.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    No way Bama makes the final 4 with a 2nd loss. 

Manti Catfish would say ND!
    ;)

Those are good questions.
    Bama would beat either of those teams you list, I feel, but no....I think they take those teams over a two loss Bama squadron.

The other scenario?
    OU, Oregon.... although I have a tough time seeing Oregon not choking a game away, first, and letting OSU in.

Who knows.  Still so much crazy action.
    And Matthew Ballroom Dancing is a real class Leinart would say....well, it doesn't matter what he would say! 🤣

So many factors to consider, so many games to play and several of the aforementioned teams will absolutely lose. 

Think: Penn State beats UM. OSU beats MSU. Then UM beats OSU. UGA beats Bama. Baylor beats Oklahoma. Any one of those likely changes the playoff picture. It will be an eventful few weeks. 
    JojoRice said:
    No way Bama makes the final 4 with a 2nd loss. 
    I agree.  Everyone would have to have 2 losses. 
    seems like georgia is the only REALLY good team. I’m not sold on anybody else.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Opinions on the 2nd round rankings? 
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Opinions on the 2nd round rankings? 

Same as I said before. They are for ratings and media buzz at this point. 
    edited November 2021
    Current Playoff predictions anybody?

1: Georgia
    2: Oregon
    3: Ohio State
    4: (committees biggest fear) Cincinnati 
    First team out:
    5: Notre Dame
    6: Alabama

*Not based solely on games to date, but also guessing what will happen the reso of the season.
    Post edited by darwinstheory on

4: Cincinnati 
    First team out:
    No way Bama is out unless they lose again, presumably to GA.  Is that basically what you are predicting here? If so, then I would agree.  
    still not the least bit convinced by oregon...Utes get them next week. if the "good utes" show up, they can win.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    mrussel1 said:

4: Cincinnati 
    First team out:
    No way Bama is out unless they lose again, presumably to GA.  Is that basically what you are predicting here? If so, then I would agree.  
    Yes, that is my prediction. That was the reason I edited it. 

I am also not convinced by Oregon, but trying to guess just how the CFP committee will rank everything. Weird arguments to be made everywhere. Oregon is over OSU because of head to head. Then UM over MSU despite losing head to head. CIN over ND because of head to head. 

I suspect OSU beats MSU & UM and wins the B1G. This eliminates MSU & UM

I think Oregon still wins out in a very weak PAC 12.

Big 12 and ACC are out. 

Cincinnati wins out.

ND wins out.

UGA beats Bama in the SEC title game.

Utah beats oregon (at least once).

would like to see THEosu beat michigan and MSU, but not so sure.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Here's to hoping Utah beats Oregon! 🍻
    ready for saturday:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    GO DAWGS!!

• Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910

Sticking with my Cincinnati gets screwed because Bama beats UGA in the SEC Championship theory.

1) Bama
    2) UGA
    3) Ohio State
    4) Oregon
    Jumb0 said:

Sticking with my Cincinnati gets screwed because Bama beats UGA in the SEC Championship theory.

1) Bama
    2) UGA
    3) Ohio State
    4) Oregon
    Don't sleep on the Cowpokes.  Can Oregon beat Utah twice?  If they can't, I think we're looking at Cincy or Ok State.  

Ohio State has three tough games remaining as well.. Sparty, scUM and likely Wisky.