The Golf Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Yeah, I'd think JT's bag is a gold mine.  At absolute minimum, if he gets 5%, which he definitely gets more especially for top 10s, he would have made upwards of $325k this year
  • Would think caddying for JT pays better than NBC but curious.
    I would think so but I'm not positive. Caddies, especially successful ones like Bones, can earn like $3,000 weekly as a salary, as well as a percentage of the player's winnings. Considering that Thomas earned $6.5 million this past season, I'm sure his caddie did pretty damn well for himself too.  
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • If you've been able to stand Phil for 25 years, I guess JT can't be much worse.  Though I personally doubt I could last a week dealing with either of them.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.

• 2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600

12 holes?
    No thanks
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Of course. Fuck that.

But...I'll be rooting for the less douchey of the two, I guess. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 624
    Maybe Bryson will win, if he doesn't wear the stupid hat.  Now is the perfect time to pivot.  Remember how you liked me at the Ryder Cup when I wasn't wearing the stupid hat?  Now I'm likeable normal hat Bryson!
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    ddeschler said:
    Maybe Bryson will win, if he doesn't wear the stupid hat.  Now is the perfect time to pivot.  Remember how you liked me at the Ryder Cup when I wasn't wearing the stupid hat?  Now I'm likeable normal hat Bryson!
    He's soooo much more likable when he wears a regular hat.
    ddeschler said:
    He's soooo much more likable when he wears a regular hat.
    He also needs to lose the B.A.D. book in his back pocket.  I assume those are his initials, but that's douchey. 
    Rickie and Rory in the final group of CJ Cup and they won't start TV coverage until they're on the back 9.  Unreal.
    Played on Friday. Glorious day for golf in the Delaware Valley. Had one of my best front nine's ever...a 40 capped off by a bird on the par 3 ninth. And that ninth hole is not easy. It's like 180 yards with water along the left side that curls a little in front of the green. If people are aggressive, the water gets you more times than not...if you're conservative, you're usually off the green to the right. I landed my tee shot 15 feet from the pin, which was back left, and fucking drained the putt. It was a thing of beauty. 

Was sitting on a 72 through 16 and the proceeded to get a 6 and then a 9 on the par 5 18 (went in the water--only ball I lost all day).

Normally I'm pretty stoked about an 87 but....fuck, that could've been low 80's. So frustrating! Anyway--just makes me wanna get back out there again ASAP. Fall's finally here. I love playing with temps in the 50's and 60's...

chinese-happy.jpg
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 624
    Fall golf is indeed the best in the midwest.  Weekend afternoons the course is not crowded, with many folks watching football instead.  Temps are perfect, wind usually down.  Makes me sad knowing winter is coming though.  Time to start planning some trips.  Need that Phoenix PJ show rescheduled, so I can get some winter golf planned around that!
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    ddeschler said:
    Fall golf is indeed the best in the midwest.  Weekend afternoons the course is not crowded, with many folks watching football instead.  Temps are perfect, wind usually down.  Makes me sad knowing winter is coming though.  Time to start planning some trips.  Need that Phoenix PJ show rescheduled, so I can get some winter golf planned around that!
    Good call on combining Phoenix golf with the show.
    edited November 2021
    Has been a busy last couple weeks with golf planning.  I am the trip planner which is good in that I can drive the discussion of where to play.
    If you are planning golf trips I would suggest to start as early as possible.  Been planning the following trips:

1) August 2022 - five day Michigan trip.  Playing Harbor Shores, both courses at Arcadia Bluffs, and then the three courses at Forest Dunes.  I am looking forward to Forest Dunes as they have the Loop which has 18 greens and reverses directions each day.  May tack on the Warren Course at Notre Dame on the way back.  Spend an afternoon fly fishing (although not the best time of year for it).

2) August 2023 - Bandon Dunes.  Reservations open up on Dec. 1st.  Crazy that 2022 lodging is fully booked through September.

3) Ireland July 2022 - need to use the credits from the last two years that were canceled due to Covid.  It is a puzzle but think I figured it out.  Plan is to work from Ireland for 11 days in between the PJ shows I want to see and fit in the golf on the weekends and early mornings.  

4) January 2022 - Hilton Head.  Work remotely for 2-3 weeks and squeeze in some golf on the weekends and afternoon.  Work mornings and evenings.

I am one lucky son of a gun if this all works out!  Although some may say I am unlucky as I was given a personality and looks that unfortunately repels the ladies and keeps me single to afford the trips and time away.

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • The quality of the golf in Michigan is ridiculously high.  You can stumble into a 4-star course by accident.  Don't sleep on the Grand Rapids area: Pilgrim's Run, The Mines, Diamond Springs, all great affordable public options designed by Mike DeVries.  I really liked the Arthur Hills course at Boyne Highlands, Belvedere GC (in Charlevoix), and Black Lake GC (kinda near Boyne).  Harbor Shores only has 1 green with a view of the lake (the course name is a misnomer).  Arcadia is sweet.  Haven't played their new old-style course yet.  You may want to watch No Laying Up's Tourist Sauce season in Michigan which has new episodes currently airing Wednesdays on YouTube, for some ideas.  They really didn't like the Loop, fyi.
    edited November 2021
    Thanks for the tips.  I am hoping to spend a lot of years to come going up to Michigan. I can see where someone wouldn’t like the Loop.  I want to try it in part just for the uniqueness of it. Am a fan of Tom Doak’s work too.  I may get kicked off the planning committee if the group doesn’t enjoy it.  Ha.
    That is quite a lineup you have there!  Just booked a long weekend in WPB in February for some golf. 

I've only played a handful of courses in Michigan but they have all been great.  Harbor Shores is beautiful and I absolutely loved Ravines in Saugatuck.  
    That is quite a lineup you have there!  Just booked a long weekend in WPB in February for some golf. 

I've only played a handful of courses in Michigan but they have all been great.  Harbor Shores is beautiful and I absolutely loved Ravines in Saugatuck.  
    The Ravines looks awesome.  There are so many great courses out there to discover.
    ddeschler said:
    The quality of the golf in Michigan is ridiculously high.  You can stumble into a 4-star course by accident.  Don't sleep on the Grand Rapids area: Pilgrim's Run, The Mines, Diamond Springs, all great affordable public options designed by Mike DeVries.  I really liked the Arthur Hills course at Boyne Highlands, Belvedere GC (in Charlevoix), and Black Lake GC (kinda near Boyne).  Harbor Shores only has 1 green with a view of the lake (the course name is a misnomer).  Arcadia is sweet.  Haven't played their new old-style course yet.  You may want to watch No Laying Up's Tourist Sauce season in Michigan which has new episodes currently airing Wednesdays on YouTube, for some ideas.  They really didn't like the Loop, fyi.
    Tourist sauce is pretty much the only thing they do that I don’t get into. Not a jealous guy, but I have a tough time watching a bunch of buddies travel the world playing some of the best courses. 

Strapped, on the other hand, I love 
    ddeschler said:
    The quality of the golf in Michigan is ridiculously high.  You can stumble into a 4-star course by accident.  Don't sleep on the Grand Rapids area: Pilgrim's Run, The Mines, Diamond Springs, all great affordable public options designed by Mike DeVries.  I really liked the Arthur Hills course at Boyne Highlands, Belvedere GC (in Charlevoix), and Black Lake GC (kinda near Boyne).  Harbor Shores only has 1 green with a view of the lake (the course name is a misnomer).  Arcadia is sweet.  Haven't played their new old-style course yet.  You may want to watch No Laying Up's Tourist Sauce season in Michigan which has new episodes currently airing Wednesdays on YouTube, for some ideas.  They really didn't like the Loop, fyi.
    Tourist sauce is pretty much the only thing they do that I don’t get into. Not a jealous guy, but I have a tough time watching a bunch of buddies travel the world playing some of the best courses. 

Strapped, on the other hand, I love 
    Yeah I'm a big fan of NLU in general but the tourist sauce is tough to watch.  Like you said, just watching this group of friends play incredible courses all over the world.  Major FOMO.  Haven't watched any Strapped yet....will have to check that out.
    Having for the first time this year played some of the courses they feature, I do enjoy watching some of the videos like tourist sauce for those courses I played.  Helps keep the memories fresh.
    Anyone with a good travel bag recommendation?  Deciding between a full hard shell or a soft case with hard shell top.  Either way these things are super expensive.
    I have used a maxfli soft travel bag for a while now.  I like it as you can fold it up when not using and doesn’t take up much space.  I have probably flown with it 10-15 times now with no problems.  I haven’t looked into a soft bag with a hard shell top.  Seems like the best of both worlds.  I wouldn’t go hard case just because you can’t fold it up when not in use or you want to stuff it in the back of the trunk of the rental car.  
    Anyone with a good travel bag recommendation?  Deciding between a full hard shell or a soft case with hard shell top.  Either way these things are super expensive.
    Check out the Sun Country cube. I love it.  Breaks down to a tiny cube so super easy to store.  Padded and hard cap where the driver head is. 
    Sun Mountain I mean..

Sun Mountain Kube Golf Travel Cover Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WSDN6Z8/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_GAZG5AHF5G4V6Y70AXDX

mrussel1 said:
    Sun Mountain I mean..

Sun Mountain Kube Golf Travel Cover Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WSDN6Z8/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_GAZG5AHF5G4V6Y70AXDX

That looks great.  Thanks for the recommendation!
    https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger-woods-swing-video?utm_medium=email&utm_source=112121&utm_campaign=hitlist&utm_content=DM23075&uuid=b1664984-eabf-4754-8a72-c86dbef9355f

I feel the sensation of deja vu watching this clip of tiger.  Should we start the betting on a return to the Masters in April?  
    edited November 2021
    Fun watching the LPGA the last few weeks.  The top players in the game all bunched up at the top.  

No b.s.  Just golf.  
    edited November 2021
    https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger-woods-swing-video?utm_medium=email&utm_source=112121&utm_campaign=hitlist&utm_content=DM23075&uuid=b1664984-eabf-4754-8a72-c86dbef9355f

I feel the sensation of deja vu watching this clip of tiger.  Should we start the betting on a return to the Masters in April?  
    Love it. April is so soon. I doubt it. 

But he wouldn't put up a video, though, if he wasn't making good progress. 
    chinese-happy.jpg