Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    edited October 2021
    AW124797 said:
    Hello, friends! Need some help here. I'd like to get some NY vinyl - one live and one studio. Where should I start? Thanks for any input.

Tough question, AW. 
    For the studio pick, it kind of depends on what "style" Neil you want.  If you want the mellower side, Harvest would be a good place to start.  If you want classic rocking Neil Young with Crazy Horse, Everybody Knows This is Nowhere is a great album or later NY and Horse, Rust Never Sleep is excellent.  And if you want something more late night moody Tonight's the Night is phenomenal (but probably not the best place to start, right NY fans?).
    Live is a tough choice to.  Live solo is probably going to get thumbs up from most people for Massey Hall.  The performances are great, I didn't like all the chatter (but most fans don't care or even like it).  For live Horse, Weld is pretty hard to beat, Live Rust is classic.

Wait for more responses as others here will have differing takes on it.  And when you finally decide, it would be interesting and cool to hear what you go with.  And once you get started, you'll probably want to keep going!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• shorty4568shorty4568 Seattle, WA Posts: 173
    AW124797 said:
    Hello, friends! Need some help here. I'd like to get some NY vinyl - one live and one studio. Where should I start? Thanks for any input.
    If you are brand new to NY, go with Harvest (NYA ORS 04) & Carnegie Hall 1970 (OBS 01). Each can be found for about $35 new.  They are mastered from the original tapes and sound fantastic on vinyl. 
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    AW124797 said:
    I would recommend joining the Neil Young Archives. Everything Neil has released is on there and can be streamed. Find stuff you like, and buy the physical record. I think it’s $20 a year.

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    edited October 2021
    Just finished listening to all four sides of the Carnegie Hall album. Wow!! Live Rust has always been my favorite live NY album, but this one is really spectacular. I love the version of After the Gold Rush (one of my fave NY songs). I have been lucky to have seen Neil Young in concert several times. The last time I saw him he did a great acoustic set (which this album reminds me of), and then brought out Crazy Horse for the rest of the show. 
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    "Song Of The Seasons", the first song from the new NYCH album is streaming now on NYA  =)

'Barn' has a 12/10/21 release date on the info card.

After a couple of listens, it's a nice acoustic song, with Nils playing accordion. It wouldn't sound out of place on a mellow record like Prairie Wind.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    edited October 2021

Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    I dig it. 
  • adusickadusick Posts: 1,367
    Calling all NYA Patrons! Check your email, something special in 1 hour…!!!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Argh!  I ordered the wrong format (wanted vinyl, got CD) for Carnegie Hall.  Returned it at a loss of about $8 and now find the LP is really expensive.  Can't win them all.  Gotta save my money for when the Crazy Horse LP comes out!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Very cool to be on a Zoom call with Neil and some of the NYA team this morning!

(Tim Rogers)
  • adusickadusick Posts: 1,367
    goldrush said:

That was so fun!! What a cool thing to do for the fans. Legend.
    Highlights from the Patrons Zoom Call with Neil (as transcribed by one of the FB group admins)

Text which seems to be quotes may not be exactly verbatim unless enclosed in quotation marks. 

° Harvest 50th Anniversary Edition
    Includes a 2-hour movie with “a lot of unseen footage”, some remixes and things you have never heard before, “a song not on the album”, studio takes, more from the “behind-the-barn” interviews. “4 outtakes I would consider putting out” - he mentions takes of Dance Dance Dance and Bad Fog, possibly forgetting that outtakes of those have already been released. See The Sky (presumably April 1971 Quadrafonic) probably won’t make it again “for a very good reason” but he didn’t say what.

° Barn movie
    There will be a full length “making of” movie but with Daryl’s touch and lots of natural scenes, speeded up nature footage, all the songs. There aren’t any album outtakes. “Everything we did” is on the album and in the film. 

° What does Nils bring to CH?
    Finesse, “something the Horse is not known for” (Ed. !), a great spirit. His sympathy for the music is so cool. He’s always been one of the originals of CH. No music overdubs used on the Barn album just some vocals. 

° Touring?
    “When it’s been proven to me that it’s safe… I’m not there yet.”

° Archives Volume 3
    “It’s so big!” The CD package will have the full Blu-ray content except for the movies. So many songs, almost twice as big as the other volumes. Really got a lot of depth. Albums I’ve never finished before, some reordered with new songs added to them. Nothing that is just a replay of anything [Ed. i.e. no repeats of any previously released album]
    2 audio documentaries: One I’m playing around a table with Linda Ronstadt and Nicolette Larson, “It’s like you’re there with us”. Another one recorded on a small tape recorder in Union Hall, Nashville, practising for the benefit gig the next day in Miami. “We went through the whole show live”… really great versions.

° NYA
    Surprising how much a part of my life it is… “to be in communication with all the people”. 

Other stuff

° Rufus Thibodeaux: “Enthusisam…. greatest cajun fiddler of all time, some great Rufus playing on AV3.
    ° Analog recording: “When we can, we record analog…” On Barn “we recorded analog… analog mixes”.
    ° Atmos technology: “A terrible threat to the originality of the original music… manipulated digitally… don’t know anything about the artists… the respect for the original music is not as important” as having something new.
    ° Chance of a new “electronic album” ever? “Anything is possible”
    ° More in the Bootleg series coming?: We’ll see how it goes
    ° A favorite cover version of one of your songs?: Not off the top of my head… I don’t have a favorite.
    ° How about an Arc-type album in the studio?: If it comes our way we’ll do it. There is a song called Human Race on Barn and the end of it is a lot like Arc.
    ° Ever meet Elvis? I think I saw him on Sunset Blvd once... I would have liked to have played guitar with him…
    ° Buffalo Springfield shows as Timeline Concerts?: Nope… none that are recorded well enough to use. I have only heard about tapes but when you try to find them, they are not there.
    ° Anything to say about the song "Gone to Hell" from the Sleeps with Angels sessions?: “Never heard of it” he says and then laughs wryly. “That’s a straight answer (hoho)”. (Ed: Something is happening here Mr. Jones)
    ° Truly appreciates the commitment of the Patrons: “We don’t give you anything and you pay more!”
    ° More about Barn? Jams?: There is a jam, Welcome Back, 9 minutes or something… you’ll recognise the Horse… This record is a complete gift…. great all the way through… an amazing experience… “undoubtedly one of the most special records that I’ve ever made”.
    ° Already looking at the next record: “I’m in the process of completing one song… going to be more spread out… long jams… maybe more than one disc.”
    ° “The detail that I’m able to get into, with the amount of focus I have, without having to travel around the world, without having to be on stages everywhere, without having to live up to all the things that I ‘m expected to do, that’s a gift. We now have the time to just spend on the real thing. on the music and the shows will follow.”
    ° Lost Cortez verse recorded somewhere?: It was lost, no chance, the power went off, we had to edit to make it work, we don’t have any copies of it.
    ° 1969 Canterbury House Timeline Concert: I was thinking of just putting it out for NYA …. a 3 CD set, I’ve actually worked on the cover.
    ° How does it feel being a grandpa?: Great, they’re just as cute as buttons…I think I played I Am A Child and Sugar Mountain for them on Facetime… (Edit) "First time I've ever seen my grandson zone right in instead of moving around."

(Tim Rogers)
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Finally getting around to joining this weekend....can't wait to dive in.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    goldrush said:

Incredible! That's absolutely amazing. Neil is such a special artist. Just ordered the Barn LP, can't wait to hear it. Sounds like he has plenty more new stuff cooking as well, thanks for the stuff provided above!
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Air23Air23 Roma Posts: 1,351
    Does anybody know where the US version of the Carnegie Hall vinyl has been pressed? Thanks
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Air23 said:
    Does anybody know where the US version of the Carnegie Hall vinyl has been pressed? Thanks
    I would think RTI.  The discogs entry says mastered at  BG studios and RTI, but RTI is a plating and pressing plant. 
    pretty sure its RTI.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2021
    The new CY horse song is nothing.

Neil needs to find a new way to sing, other than that broken falsetto. His "Razor love" moody dark voice is a lot better.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I get big Silver and Gold vibes from it. Maybe Prairie Wind. Dig it. 
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    I really like the new song. That's just Neil's voice now, I think. Already ordered the album :grin:
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
    Weld is 30 years old. I know what I’ll be playing all weekend!

(Tim Rogers)
  • IM GONNA END MY SUNDAY NIGHT BY BUYING SOME NEIL VINYL.

Is it worth buying both the Carniegie Hall show and the Young Shakespear show? Or skit the Young Shakespear one?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    IM GONNA END MY SUNDAY NIGHT BY BUYING SOME NEIL VINYL.

Is it worth buying both the Carniegie Hall show and the Young Shakespear show? Or skit the Young Shakespear one?
    I own both and think both are worth owning if you have the desire, budget and space. No question Carnegie is the superior album if you are going to choose. Carnegie is a longer set list, 2 LP and cut from analog tape. YS is single LP from digital source. Lots of overlap but each show has some unique qualities.   
  • IM GONNA END MY SUNDAY NIGHT BY BUYING SOME NEIL VINYL.

I own both and think both are worth owning if you have the desire, budget and space. No question Carnegie is the superior album if you are going to choose. Carnegie is a longer set list, 2 LP and cut from analog tape. YS is single LP from digital source. Lots of overlap but each show has some unique qualities.   
    Why digital source for YS?
    IM GONNA END MY SUNDAY NIGHT BY BUYING SOME NEIL VINYL.

Why digital source for YS?
    IDK, probably the best source available. 
  • return to greendale has skyrocketet in price in sweden... :/
    ‘Heading West’ from Barn is now streaming on NYA

(Tim Rogers)
  • What is the difference between the WAY DOWN IN THE RUST BUCKET 4-LP set and the set with the 4-LP and the CD/DVD? It's the same box but they have just thrown in the CD and the DVD in the box? 

Or does it differ in any way... packaging wise?
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    What is the difference between the WAY DOWN IN THE RUST BUCKET 4-LP set and the set with the 4-LP and the CD/DVD? It's the same box but they have just thrown in the CD and the DVD in the box? 

Believe it's the same and not really worth the difference in price.  If you want the video I'll send it to you. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    What is the difference between the WAY DOWN IN THE RUST BUCKET 4-LP set and the set with the 4-LP and the CD/DVD? It's the same box but they have just thrown in the CD and the DVD in the box? 

Believe it's the same and not really worth the difference in price.  If you want the video I'll send it to you. 
    Its just 10 dollars difference here in Sweden. Expensive to begin with though. 

But I think I'll stick with just the vinyl anyways :)