What book are you reading?

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Just started this one. 

She’s my new favorite author, so I figure I should buy and read her books. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    :lol:.  Let us know if you admire her writing as much as her ballsy approach to life 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    Not very far into,but good so far.
    If there is one thing the main character knows is that a women's sexuality is directly related to the size of her areola.

Aztec Aztec 1 Jennings Gary 9780765317506 Amazoncom Books

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594

That looks interesting!  Gotta check that one out.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

This autobiography is going to rank up there with one of the best music bios I've come across.  Really, really good!
    See a Little Light The Trail of Rage and Melody Mould Bob 9781573449700  Amazoncom Books

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    brianlux said:
    This autobiography is going to rank up there with one of the best music bios I've come across.  Really, really good!
    See a Little Light The Trail of Rage and Melody Mould Bob 9781573449700  Amazoncom Books

@Wobbie      Did you read?  I know old Mould is one of your boners.

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Finished this one last night:

And started this one right after:

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    books i've read/ listened to recently:

Truman Capote - In Cold Blood                                       Philip Pullma - The Golden Compass                 
    5096865119322 sx318

Homer - The Iliad: a new translation by Caroline Alexander       Quentin Tarantino - Once Upon a Time In Hollywood
    25806615 sy475                  58413351 sy475

Bernard Cornwell - Sharpe's Waterloo
    Just finished this one, which was beyond brilliant!

I’ll start this one tomorrow. 

Her voice really resonates with me. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Rereading an old favorite. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    brianlux said:

@Wobbie      Did you read?  I know old Mould is one of your boners.

I did read. the gay sex was a little graphic. :tired_face::lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,834
    Just finished Welcome to the Monkey House, going to start God Bless you Mr. Rosewater soon. :)
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

On book 4, Age of Legend.
    Michael Sullivan.
    Very good series - the first three were page turners.
    2 more after this one....I like when the series is already done and you can binge read it 
    Waiting a year or two between books and forgetting so many plot points kinda sucks.
    This series would make a killer show.

Age of Death
    and then the last one....
    Age of Empyre

The back half was not quite as good as the first, although it might make for better television adaptation.  Good series, glad I read.

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    The Age of American Unreason In a Culture of Lies : Susan Jacoby
    Women, Race & Class : Angela Davis
    The Lightning Thief: Rick Riordan (with my daughter)
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Folks over on Twitter are giving NYT Books the business for this inaccurate story. Many creative responses giving the proper credit to Mary Shelley, but I think this was one of my favorites...

• Hobbes said:
    Folks over on Twitter are giving NYT Books the business for this inaccurate story. Many creative responses giving the proper credit to Mary Shelley, but I think this was one of my favorites...

This is a fine example of how awesome you are, Hobbes. I bow in gratitude. :bow:
    Awesome!
    edited November 2021
    Just started this one, one of those books that somehow got lost in the shelves among other music books and forgotten about.  How could it be?!  I met Bill Minor in the summer of '85 at a writing workshop.  He's an amazing jazz/poet soul well deserving of the description "cool".  Looking forward to this long-overdue read!
    Unzipped Souls: A Jazz Journey Through the Soviet Union, William Minor 

Unzipped Souls A Jazz Journey Through the Soviet Union by William Minor

• RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    First read Dune about a year ago in anticipation of the Denis Villeneuve film. He is my favorite working director. Really loved the book, and seeing the film made me really want to read it again, as well as the other 5 Frank Herbert sequels. Which I hear get progressively weirder as they go on. 

Anyone have any experience past the first novel?

• a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,834
    RiotZact said:
    First read Dune about a year ago in anticipation of the Denis Villeneuve film. He is my favorite working director. Really loved the book, and seeing the film made me really want to read it again, as well as the other 5 Frank Herbert sequels. Which I hear get progressively weirder as they go on. 

Anyone have any experience past the first novel?

5 Sequels?!?! I have not read, or even knew that there were, any of em. If you plan on taking the dive let me know how they are. Dune was great.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

I read some way back when, can't remember where I left off.  I liked them but must have tailed off or I would likely have finished.
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    There’s actually a ton of sequels, but only the first 6 books are by Frank Herbert. His son and some other guy took over after that and milk the franchise for everything it’s worth. Most fans of the Frank Herbert books hate anything beyond the first 6.
    Looking a little ragged these days.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    dankind said:
    Just finished this one, which was beyond brilliant!

I’ll start this one tomorrow. 

Her voice really resonates with me. 
    I just bought Normal People today. I am looking forward to starting it.
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483

only a few pages in on a very short book,
    but haunting, to put it mildly.

See the source image
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

I’m about to start this one. I am a big fan of Stephenson’s work but it isn’t always easy reading. I’m looking forward to diving in!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Last night, I started reading Malcolm Margolin's The Ohlone Way.  The writing is beautiful and, having grown up in the Bay Area, this is an overdue read for me and one I'm certain to appreciate.  The first chapter, which describes the land, animal life, and climate of this area as it was 200 years ago, was very disturbing to me to read.  The vast abundance of wildlife that existed then ("To the Ohlone, the grizzly bear must have been omnipresent, yet today there is not a single wild grizzly bear left in all of California") which is now gone,  the behavior of animals so totally changed ("Foxes, which are now very secretive, were virtually underfoot"), the climate that was moist, now turned semi-arid... all of this changed in a mere 200 years.  This is hugely unsettling.
    But I will look forward to settling into this one and perhaps, as Margolin suggests in the Introduction:
    "If we look long enough, if we dwell on their joy, fear, and reverence, we may in the end catch glimpses of almost forgotten aspects of our own selves."

IMG

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    the book on the history of Big East conference basketball
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Finished this one last night

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024