What book are you reading?

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    On to another music book.  This one's a bit technical here and there bust mostly quite readable and enjoyable.  And it's about my current music obsession!  John Litweiler's Ornette Coleman; A Harmolodic Life
    Ornette Coleman by John Litweiler

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    RiotZact said:

@RiotZact - you live in Fishtown right? Keep an eye out for Jane's Walks around you, good stuff:  https://janeswalkphl.org/
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    RiotZact said:

@RiotZact - you live in Fishtown right? Keep an eye out for Jane's Walks around you, good stuff:  https://janeswalkphl.org/
    That’s awesome! I will be looking into that for sure. I’ve since finished the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586

This may be the rare book I put down mid-way.  I want to see how the guy turns out, but his self destructive journey is tough to walk through as a reader, or at least it is to me.
    Addiction is such a monster for the people who wrestle with it. 
    A book written with what appears to be full transparency. 
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757

This may be the rare book I put down mid-way.  I want to see how the guy turns out, but his self destructive journey is tough to walk through as a reader, or at least it is to me.
    Interesting. One of the reasons I enjoyed Tweak, as opposed to the dad's take in Beautiful Boy. Just brutal honesty of all the shit he did.

Interesting. One of the reasons I enjoyed Tweak, as opposed to the dad's take in Beautiful Boy. Just brutal honesty of all the shit he did.
    Yeah, I didn't read either of those but sometimes it can be tough to keep reading.  

• a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,833
    Just finished Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut, just awesome, have to get more of his stuff.
    Reading Amerika by Franz Kafka now. Preface was about his life, sounds like he was one gifted dude who never wanted his work out there, but it got released once he died.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• YardenYarden Posts: 820
    He is so good.
    Let us know how that one is....
    Erik Larson - The Splendid and the Vile

really enjoyed this one. would recommend to anyone who is interested in history and even people who are wary of non-fiction history. his writing style draws you in.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    a5pj said: Reading Amerika by Franz Kafka now. Preface was about his life, sounds like he was one gifted dude who never wanted his work out there, but it got released once he died.
    About to finish this one. I'm halfway through Naomi Klein's On Fire, as well.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    Yarden said:
    He is so good.
    Let us know how that one is....
    Erik Larson - The Splendid and the Vile

really enjoyed this one. would recommend to anyone who is interested in history and even people who are wary of non-fiction history. his writing style draws you in.

Nice, thanks.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689

• GlowGirl said:

Would you recommend this book @GlowGirl?
    GlowGirl said:

Would you recommend this book @GlowGirl?
    I just recently started it, but so far I like it. I just read his other book, How to Stop Time, and I really liked that one - so I thought I would try more of his books. So, I would recommend it.

• a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,833
    Pap said:
    a5pj said: Reading Amerika by Franz Kafka now. Preface was about his life, sounds like he was one gifted dude who never wanted his work out there, but it got released once he died.
    @Pap You gotta help me then. I got about 15 pages in and haven't picked it back up. It was very disjointed and hard to follow the tangents he went off on. Also seemed like the main character is an anxious, socially awkward mess, and I don't need that right now lol. 

Anyway, just bought 3 more Vonnegut, Monkey house, Mr. Rosewater and Breakfast of Champs. Excited for them. 

Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

a5pj said:
    Pap said:
    @Pap You gotta help me then. I got about 15 pages in and haven't picked it back up. It was very disjointed and hard to follow the tangents he went off on. Also seemed like the main character is an anxious, socially awkward mess, and I don't need that right now lol.
    Don't put it down that early my friend. Some really nice adventures are just about to begin! :wink: The main character is a good dude who's going to meet some good and bad persons on his way. It's all about the struggles of an immigrant on a new country. Unfortunately(?), the context is pretty much still the same everywhere, I guess. I'm a foreigner in the UK myself, so I can somehow relate to his journey. Not really, but some aspects of it could apply to some of my moments abroad. Kafka's writing is exquisite and always reminds me of that Gogol Bordello line from Immigraniada: In corridors full of tear gas / Our destinies jammed every day / Like deleted scenes from Kafka / Flushed down the bureaucratic drain.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820

Infinite Country - Patricia Engel

55919704 sy475

Just finished this, on recommendation from this thread.

I liked it, by the end.  I do admit to not loving the Cause And Effect (TNG!) type of storytelling when it comes to time travel stories but I stuck with it, and it paid off.  (Much like Cause And Effect)
    Good book!

I liked it, by the end.  I do admit to not loving the Cause And Effect (TNG!) type of storytelling when it comes to time travel stories but I stuck with it, and it paid off.  (Much like Cause And Effect)
    Good book!

I loved that book. You might have gotten that recommendation from one of my posts. I have read a few more books by her as well. Interesting themes. 

I’m about halfway through. So far, so good. 
    GlowGirl said:

Good book!

I loved that book. You might have gotten that recommendation from one of my posts. I have read a few more books by her as well. Interesting themes. 
    Indeed!
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487

On book 4, Age of Legend.
    Michael Sullivan.
    Very good series - the first three were page turners.
    2 more after this one....I like when the series is already done and you can binge read it 
    Waiting a year or two between books and forgetting so many plot points kinda sucks.
    This series would make a killer show.

Finally finished Kafka's Amerika and now I'm about to finish Klein's On Fire
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Michael Sullivan.
    2 more after this one....I like when the series is already done and you can binge read it 
    Waiting a year or two between books and forgetting so many plot points kinda sucks.

what age are these geared to? My daughter (15) loves fantasy, and reads at a pretty elevated level. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Michael Sullivan.

what age are these geared to? My daughter (15) loves fantasy, and reads at a pretty elevated level. 

Nothing too heavy - they are not Young Adult targeted but she could certainly read them w/o issue.  Thematically...they have a focus on strong women characters (which might be a bonus for women reading) and if she likes High Fantasy she might enjoy.
    Likely worth the $10 on Amazon to find out with the first book.  (Although that might be more in Canada)

Also, at around 400 pages each they are short reads, for the genre.  She might love the 1000+ page books but many are put off by that.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    cool, thanks for the info. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD