60 Minutes tonight

gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
edited February 2007 in A Moving Train
Tonight, Sunday, Feb 25, service members, including IVAW members, will be
appearing on CBS's 60 Minutes at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

Please take the time away from the Oscars to watch our troops tell Lara Logan
why they are appealing to Congress for an immediate withdrawal from Iraq.

The Appeal for Redress is gaining new signatures everyday. Please watch the 60
Minutes coverage of this key initiative to give active duty servicemembers a
voice in the growing resistance to the Iraq war. Please look online for more
information at; http://www.appealforredress.org/ and
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/22/60minutes/main2505412.shtml

Sincerely,
Kelly Dougherty
Executive Director
Iraq Veterans Against the War

Appeal for redress:

http://www.appealforredress.org/

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely watch it.
    "Where there is sacrifice there is someone collecting the sacrificial offerings."-- Ayn Rand

"Some of my friends sit around every evening and they worry about the times ahead,
    But everybody else is overwhelmed by indifference and the promise of an early bed..."-- Elvis Costello
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Looks interesting, it's about time something like this gets into the mainstream news. Though I'm not sure immediate withdrawl is the right thing to do, it's about time that veterans against the war are being heard.
  • what's IVAW?
  • I'll check it out, thanks.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    what's IVAW?

Iraq Veterans Against the War
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    2 stories in tonights episode and its fairly well infuriating, so far......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat said:
    I wasn't surprised at the FB piece.  I also don't think it's much of a whistleblower story.  The girl sounds like she has an axe to grind though.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    both FB and IG are down right now. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mickeyrat said:
    I wasn't surprised at the FB piece.  I also don't think it's much of a whistleblower story.  The girl sounds like she has an axe to grind though.

this woman has an axe to grind? what gives that impression?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Some of the things she said, I don't recall exactly, but a few things she came off as wanting to stick it to FB.  

That is what I got from it.

I was also not the slightest surprised by the story.  It's been known for a while now that this is what they have been doing.

What was the other story that angered you?  The student loan one?  That blew me away and none of it was new either.  The part of that one that got me though was when the gal explained that her minimum payment was a cent under to qualify as a payment.  That one my jaw dropped.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Some of the things she said, I don't recall exactly, but a few things she came off as wanting to stick it to FB.  

I was also not the slightest surprised by the story.  It's been known for a while now that this is what they have been doing.

What was the other story that angered you?  The student loan one?  That blew me away and none of it was new either.  The part of that one that got me though was when the gal explained that her minimum payment was a cent under to qualify as a payment.  That one my jaw dropped.
    Student loans are a complete scam.  Programmed all through school that the only way to get a future is to get an education. For those of us with less advantages, we get stuck borrowing at high compounding interest rates our whole lives. Unless we get lucky and get a decent job, then we pay those loans off for years before we actually get to begin building any sort of wealth.  There is a better way out there for sure.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    The FB story is amazing but we knew this already. FB is a fucking cesspool of ignorant tRumpsters. This is the main source of anti-vax behavior right now.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Student loans are a complete scam.  Programmed all through school that the only way to get a future is to get an education. For those of us with less advantages, we get stuck borrowing at high compounding interest rates our whole lives. Unless we get lucky and get a decent job, then we pay those loans off for years before we actually get to begin building any sort of wealth.  There is a better way out there for sure.
    My kids will be paying off mine.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

luckily they don't transfer down the line...they may not receive any inheritance but they won't have to pay for yours at least.
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    dankind said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

luckily they don't transfer down the line...they may not receive any inheritance but they won't have to pay for yours at least.
    That must be a recent change. My wife and I have always filed separately so that my debt doesn't impact her credit and also so that her salary isn't included in the calculations for my payment plan. I wonder if we can file jointly now with neither of us being penalized for the stupidest decision I've ever made in my life (i.e., higher ed).
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited October 2021
    so it was announced that loan forgiveness is happening for a ton of people and a revamp of the program is in the works

Post edited by mickeyrat on

dankind said:
    static111 said:
    dankind said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

That must be a recent change. My wife and I have always filed separately so that my debt doesn't impact her credit and also so that her salary isn't included in the calculations for my payment plan. I wonder if we can file jointly now with neither of us being penalized for the stupidest decision I've ever made in my life (i.e., higher ed).
    Spouses are a different story.  I meant for your kids. When you die you take your debt and your wife’s debt with you.
    Scio me nihil scire

• mickeyrat said:
    so it was announced that loan forgiveness is happening for a ton of people and a revamp of the program is in the works

I hope this is true.

dankind said:
    static111 said:
    dankind said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

my GF has been paying for years and still owes 6 figures
    mickeyrat said:

The one time you don't post an article...
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:

The one time you don't post an article...

couldnt find it. info from an adbook post.

found one..

Troubled student loan forgiveness program gets an overhaul
    By COLLIN BINKLEY
    Yesterday

The Biden administration is temporarily relaxing the rules for a student loan forgiveness program that has been criticized for its notoriously complex requirements — a change that could offer debt relief to thousands of teachers, social workers, military members and other public servants.

The Education Department said Wednesday it will drop some of the toughest requirements around Public Service Loan Forgiveness, a program that was launched in 2007 to steer more college graduates into public service but, since then, has helped just 5,500 borrowers get their loans erased.

Congress created the program as a reward for college students who go into public service. As long as they made 10 years of payments on their federal student loans, the program promised to erase the remainder.

But more than 90% of applicants have been rejected. After making a decade of payments, many borrowers have found that they have the wrong type of federal loan or repayment plan to be eligible for the program. Thousands have ended up stuck with debt they thought would be cleared.

Under the temporary changes, those borrowers will now be eligible to get their loans erased.

Through October 2022, borrowers who have worked 10 years in a qualifying job will be eligible for loan relief no matter what kind of federal loan or repayment plan they have. Past loan payments that were previously ineligible will now count, moving some borrowers closer to the finish line.

The change will immediately make 22,000 borrowers eligible to get loans canceled, and another 27,000 could become eligible if they get previous payments certified, according to the department. In total, more than 550,000 borrowers will be moved closer to forgiveness, the agency said.

“Borrowers who devote a decade of their lives to public service should be able to rely on the promise of Public Service Loan Forgiveness,” Education Secretary Miguel Cardona said. “The system has not delivered on that promise to date, but that is about to change for many borrowers.”

It’s a particular boon for borrowers with Federal Family Education Loans, from a defunct loan program that issued federally backed loans through banks. Loans in that program, which ended in 2010, were previously ineligible but can now be cancelled through the updated rules.

Among other changes, the department will allow military members to count time on active duty toward the 10 years, even if they put a pause on making their payments during that time.

And starting next year, the department will automatically count payments by federal workers and military members toward the required 10 years. Under existing rules, applicants have to apply to get their payments certified.

The changes are seen as a short-term fix while the agency considers permanent improvements through a federal rulemaking process. The department started holding hearings this week as part of a process that could bring sweeping change to federal student aid programs, including the public service benefit.

Advocacy groups praised the temporary changes. Aaron Ament, president of the legal group Student Defense, which has represented students in lawsuits over the program, called it a “huge step in the right direction.”

Randi Weingarten, president of the American Federation of Teachers, said the change is welcome.

“Today we breathe a collective sigh of relief as the Kafkaesque system that dashed the dreams of far too many finally starts to be dismantled,” she said.

The program has been a source of bipartisan scorn — Democrats and Republicans have agreed that the program is flawed and needs to be updated. But Republicans said the Education Department is overstepping its authority by moving to alter a program that Congress created.

Rep. Virginia Foxx, R-N.C., the top Republican on the House education committee, said President Joe Biden's administration is “circumventing Congress through executive action.”

“We agree this program is in desperate need of reform; however, such reforms require Congressional action, and we encourage you to work with us to fix the federal loan and repayment program,” Foxx said in a letter to Cardona.

It marks the latest of several attempts to fix the program. In 2018, Congress set aside $700 million to temporarily expand the benefit to all types of loans and payment programs, but after a year, most applications were still being denied.

A report from the Government Accountability Office found that President Donald Trump's administration had created a “confusing and inefficient” process that often disqualified borrowers for rules they were never told about.

In June, a report from the Education Department drew attention to the program’s shortcomings saying it “has spawned much confusion and frustration” while forgiving loans for just 5,500 borrowers.

• If anyone understands how to go about this debt forgiveness labyrinth, please let me know.

Thanks
    mickeyrat said:
    found one..

Troubled student loan forgiveness program gets an overhaul
    By COLLIN BINKLEY
    Yesterday

The Biden administration is temporarily relaxing the rules for a student loan forgiveness program that has been criticized for its notoriously complex requirements — a change that could offer debt relief to thousands of teachers, social workers, military members and other public servants.

The Education Department said Wednesday it will drop some of the toughest requirements around Public Service Loan Forgiveness, a program that was launched in 2007 to steer more college graduates into public service but, since then, has helped just 5,500 borrowers get their loans erased.

Congress created the program as a reward for college students who go into public service. As long as they made 10 years of payments on their federal student loans, the program promised to erase the remainder.

But more than 90% of applicants have been rejected. After making a decade of payments, many borrowers have found that they have the wrong type of federal loan or repayment plan to be eligible for the program. Thousands have ended up stuck with debt they thought would be cleared.

Under the temporary changes, those borrowers will now be eligible to get their loans erased.

Through October 2022, borrowers who have worked 10 years in a qualifying job will be eligible for loan relief no matter what kind of federal loan or repayment plan they have. Past loan payments that were previously ineligible will now count, moving some borrowers closer to the finish line.

The change will immediately make 22,000 borrowers eligible to get loans canceled, and another 27,000 could become eligible if they get previous payments certified, according to the department. In total, more than 550,000 borrowers will be moved closer to forgiveness, the agency said.

“Borrowers who devote a decade of their lives to public service should be able to rely on the promise of Public Service Loan Forgiveness,” Education Secretary Miguel Cardona said. “The system has not delivered on that promise to date, but that is about to change for many borrowers.”

It’s a particular boon for borrowers with Federal Family Education Loans, from a defunct loan program that issued federally backed loans through banks. Loans in that program, which ended in 2010, were previously ineligible but can now be cancelled through the updated rules.

Among other changes, the department will allow military members to count time on active duty toward the 10 years, even if they put a pause on making their payments during that time.

And starting next year, the department will automatically count payments by federal workers and military members toward the required 10 years. Under existing rules, applicants have to apply to get their payments certified.

The changes are seen as a short-term fix while the agency considers permanent improvements through a federal rulemaking process. The department started holding hearings this week as part of a process that could bring sweeping change to federal student aid programs, including the public service benefit.

Advocacy groups praised the temporary changes. Aaron Ament, president of the legal group Student Defense, which has represented students in lawsuits over the program, called it a “huge step in the right direction.”

Randi Weingarten, president of the American Federation of Teachers, said the change is welcome.

“Today we breathe a collective sigh of relief as the Kafkaesque system that dashed the dreams of far too many finally starts to be dismantled,” she said.

The program has been a source of bipartisan scorn — Democrats and Republicans have agreed that the program is flawed and needs to be updated. But Republicans said the Education Department is overstepping its authority by moving to alter a program that Congress created.

Rep. Virginia Foxx, R-N.C., the top Republican on the House education committee, said President Joe Biden's administration is “circumventing Congress through executive action.”

“We agree this program is in desperate need of reform; however, such reforms require Congressional action, and we encourage you to work with us to fix the federal loan and repayment program,” Foxx said in a letter to Cardona.

It marks the latest of several attempts to fix the program. In 2018, Congress set aside $700 million to temporarily expand the benefit to all types of loans and payment programs, but after a year, most applications were still being denied.

A report from the Government Accountability Office found that President Donald Trump's administration had created a “confusing and inefficient” process that often disqualified borrowers for rules they were never told about.

In June, a report from the Education Department drew attention to the program’s shortcomings saying it “has spawned much confusion and frustration” while forgiving loans for just 5,500 borrowers.

Definitely a step in the right direction.  Imagine making payments for 8 years thinking you are doing the right thing, and consolidating to more easily manage the loan and then poof all your progress was wiped out.
    Scio me nihil scire

mickeyrat said:

I hope this is true.

dankind said:
    static111 said:
    dankind said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

why wouldn't people open a low interest line of credit so they can pay it off decades earlier?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mickeyrat said:

I hope this is true.

dankind said:
    static111 said:
    dankind said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

why wouldn't people open a low interest line of credit so they can pay it off decades earlier?
    You'd have to ask her why it is structured and why she has tried to get it consolidated and can't.  She has done many a thing and hit a wall each time.
    mickeyrat said:

I hope this is true.

dankind said:
    static111 said:
    dankind said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

You'd have to ask her why it is structured and why she has tried to get it consolidated and can't.  She has done many a thing and hit a wall each time.
    The principals are huge because the cost of higher education in the US is through the roof. Interest rates don't get much lower than they do on student loans. But with principals at six figures, those interest payments alone can be similar to a mortgage payment. And the balances just get bigger every year for a lot of us. Mine is well more than double what I originally borrowed at this point.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    that's insanity. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    plus a line of credit would need to be secured by something....if you already have a home it isn't likely there is enough equity to take care of the student loan and if you don't have a home the bank would want security in something else.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    that's insanity. 
    Hence so many of us here that came from lower income families being pissed about the situation we are in.
    Scio me nihil scire

dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:

I hope this is true.

dankind said:
    static111 said:
    dankind said:
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

The principals are huge because the cost of higher education in the US is through the roof. Interest rates don't get much lower than they do on student loans. But with principals at six figures, those interest payments alone can be similar to a mortgage payment. And the balances just get bigger every year for a lot of us. Mine is well more than double what I originally borrowed at this point.
    Mine was double what I actually borrowed.  For a couple years I put everything extra towards it.  Been making decent payments since the cares act lowered rates to zero.  I am now just below what I originally borrowed, nearly a decade later.  I might actually have a chance at paying it off if they decide to extend the interest freeze.

My wife really wants to buy a house, but I am in the lets not buy a house until we pay off our student loans camp, which would basically mean we may possibly never reach homeownership before becoming geriatrics, and we don't even have 6 figure debt combined.
    Scio me nihil scire