Gabby Petito

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I agree that the cops/911 bungled the initial report about Brian being seen hitting her but I believe them separating them was the right thing to do.  That gave Gabby the opportunity to get away if that was what she wanted.  Very sad.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Why wouldn't you help your son?  I can see that.
    if he murdered someone in cold blood? no. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Exactly
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Just the idea of them bringing his car back to their house is strange. Why bring it back unless you knew he wasn't going to be retrieving it.

• Why wouldn't you help your son?  I can see that.
    mfc2006 said:
    Exactly
    Some people would do anything for their kid.  I'm not sure what I'd do in this situation.
    mfc2006 said:
    Exactly
    Some people would do anything for their kid.  I'm not sure what I'd do in this situation.
    We don't know what the kid told his parents at this point.  If he told them that he just abandoned her and they believe him then him not talking to the police is a wise legal strategy but horrible optics.

If my son told me that he killed his fiance I would take him directly to the police with an attorney.

• of course there is the "whiteness" element to it, but apparently she was also a social media influencer of some sort. that's the reason this hit social media way before MSM
    Oh settle down Joy Reid
    mfc2006 said:
    Exactly
    We don't know what the kid told his parents at this point.  If he told them that he just abandoned her and they believe him then him not talking to the police is a wise legal strategy but horrible optics.

If my son told me that he killed his fiance I would take him directly to the police with an attorney.
    agreed. 

of course there is the "whiteness" element to it, but apparently she was also a social media influencer of some sort. that's the reason this hit social media way before MSM
    Oh settle down Joy Reid
    who?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• of course there is the "whiteness" element to it, but apparently she was also a social media influencer of some sort. that's the reason this hit social media way before MSM
    Oh settle down Joy Reid
    Pretty appropriate. I thought the Joy Reid comparison was good…even before seeing that she actually said the same thing. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    of course there is the "whiteness" element to it, but apparently she was also a social media influencer of some sort. that's the reason this hit social media way before MSM
    Oh settle down Joy Reid
    Pretty appropriate. I thought the Joy Reid comparison was good…even before seeing that she actually said the same thing. 

uh, that's not what I said at ALL. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I guess you both missed the part where I said the main reason was because of her social media following.....
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Holy shit, academic types study this shit. Seems Joy wasn't too far off the mark. Sorry, not sorry, that makes some uncomfortable. Quick, name the last Black, gone missing women that you can recall in the new media. Hell, don't even have to remember her name, just a general outline of the circumstances. Everyone knows race has nothing to do with anything, anything at all (footnotes left out as they create a formatting nightmare).

B. Defining Missing White Woman Syndrome Missing

White Woman Syndrome20 refers to the overabundance of coverage that mainstream media outlets dedicate to missing persons cases of White women and its correlating lack of coverage of missing people of color.21 The term “Missing White Woman Syndrome,” also alternatively known as “Missing White Girl Syndrome,”22 was first coined by Gwen Ifill, a PBS news anchor.23 Missing White Woman Syndrome also refers to the media’s tunnel-vision-like focus on “young, white, attractive . . . rich females.”24 Some have characterized the phenomenon as “round-the-clock coverage of disappeared young females who qualify as ‘damsels in distress’ by race, class, and other relevant social variables.”25 Others have called this same idea “damsel in distress syndrome.”26 Some researchers have considered the occurrence of racial bias in news media to be a product of profitdriven business models and news media organizations attempts to gain the attention of “the majority audience group[s].”27

Missing White Woman Syndrome has been well-documented by mainstream media’s failure to represent and depict missing persons cases in the same proportion that they appear across races.28 In a 2010 study, Seong-Jae Min and John C. Feaster found that while minorities were disproportionately represented in news coverage, African American missing children in particular “were significantly underrepresented when compared to national statistics.”29 The pair of researchers compared 19.5%, the percentage of African-American missing children cases covered in news media, with 33.2%, the actual percentage of reported incidents from the FBI’s data.30 The concluded that racial disparity is prevalent in media because “AfricanAmerican missing children cases are underrepresented in national television news compared to their actual rates of incidence.”31 In 2015, Clara Simmons and Joshua Woods replicated Min and Feaster’s study and found that although African-American missing children amounted to a shockingly low 7% of media references, they accounted for 35% of the National Crime Information Center’s cases.32

A mid-2000 study conducted by Scripps Howard News Service found that although White children accounted for only 53% of the 37,665 cases reported to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, and 54% of cases in a study conducted by the U.S. Justice Department, they were covered in 67% of The Associated Press’ (AP) missing children news coverage, and 76% of CNN’s news coverage.33 Conversely, Black children accounted for 23% of missing children cases reported to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, and 19% of the cases studied by the U.S. Justice Department, but were only represented in 17% of AP’s stories and 13% of CNN’s stories.34 The study chose to focus on AP because it “is the largest producer of print news in the United States,” and CNN because “it was the largest provider of national television reporting” during the years of the study.35 Although it focused on only two of the largest national reporting services, experts suggest that the results of “this study are indicative of reporting practices throughout the nation’s news media.”36

The Forgotten Victims of Missing White Woman Syndrome: An Examination of Legal Measures That Contribute to the Lack of Search and Recovery of Missing Black Girls and Women (wm.edu)
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    Holy shit, academic types study this shit. Seems Joy wasn't too far off the mark. Sorry, not sorry, that makes some uncomfortable. Quick, name the last Black, gone missing women that you can recall in the new media. Hell, don't even have to remember her name, just a general outline of the circumstances. Everyone knows race has nothing to do with anything, anything at all (footnotes left out as they create a formatting nightmare).

White Woman Syndrome20 refers to the overabundance of coverage that mainstream media outlets dedicate to missing persons cases of White women and its correlating lack of coverage of missing people of color.21 The term “Missing White Woman Syndrome,” also alternatively known as “Missing White Girl Syndrome,”22 was first coined by Gwen Ifill, a PBS news anchor.23 Missing White Woman Syndrome also refers to the media’s tunnel-vision-like focus on “young, white, attractive . . . rich females.”24 Some have characterized the phenomenon as “round-the-clock coverage of disappeared young females who qualify as ‘damsels in distress’ by race, class, and other relevant social variables.”25 Others have called this same idea “damsel in distress syndrome.”26 Some researchers have considered the occurrence of racial bias in news media to be a product of profitdriven business models and news media organizations attempts to gain the attention of “the majority audience group[s].”27

Missing White Woman Syndrome has been well-documented by mainstream media’s failure to represent and depict missing persons cases in the same proportion that they appear across races.28 In a 2010 study, Seong-Jae Min and John C. Feaster found that while minorities were disproportionately represented in news coverage, African American missing children in particular “were significantly underrepresented when compared to national statistics.”29 The pair of researchers compared 19.5%, the percentage of African-American missing children cases covered in news media, with 33.2%, the actual percentage of reported incidents from the FBI’s data.30 The concluded that racial disparity is prevalent in media because “AfricanAmerican missing children cases are underrepresented in national television news compared to their actual rates of incidence.”31 In 2015, Clara Simmons and Joshua Woods replicated Min and Feaster’s study and found that although African-American missing children amounted to a shockingly low 7% of media references, they accounted for 35% of the National Crime Information Center’s cases.32

A mid-2000 study conducted by Scripps Howard News Service found that although White children accounted for only 53% of the 37,665 cases reported to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, and 54% of cases in a study conducted by the U.S. Justice Department, they were covered in 67% of The Associated Press’ (AP) missing children news coverage, and 76% of CNN’s news coverage.33 Conversely, Black children accounted for 23% of missing children cases reported to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, and 19% of the cases studied by the U.S. Justice Department, but were only represented in 17% of AP’s stories and 13% of CNN’s stories.34 The study chose to focus on AP because it “is the largest producer of print news in the United States,” and CNN because “it was the largest provider of national television reporting” during the years of the study.35 Although it focused on only two of the largest national reporting services, experts suggest that the results of “this study are indicative of reporting practices throughout the nation’s news media.”36

The Forgotten Victims of Missing White Woman Syndrome: An Examination of Legal Measures That Contribute to the Lack of Search and Recovery of Missing Black Girls and Women (wm.edu)
    Can we keep this out of this thread?  Holy shit. The girl is dead. Go discuss race in one of the other 68 threads. 
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    nicknyr15 said:
    Holy shit, academic types study this shit. Seems Joy wasn't too far off the mark. Sorry, not sorry, that makes some uncomfortable. Quick, name the last Black, gone missing women that you can recall in the new media. Hell, don't even have to remember her name, just a general outline of the circumstances. Everyone knows race has nothing to do with anything, anything at all (footnotes left out as they create a formatting nightmare).

Can we keep this out of this thread?  Holy shit. The girl is dead. Go discuss race in one of the other 68 threads. 
    It is relevant to the thread tho
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • nicknyr15 said:

Tell it to the OP who originally brought it up. Are there 68 other threads about race?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    I think it's relevant here.  I can't say I totally believe it is "white girl" related but I understand the perception.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    nicknyr15 said:

Tell it to the OP who originally brought it up. Are there 68 other threads about race?
    My earlier question alluded to this too…MWWS. 
  • Holy shit, academic types study this shit. Seems Joy wasn't too far off the mark. Sorry, not sorry, that makes some uncomfortable. Quick, name the last Black, gone missing women that you can recall in the new media. Hell, don't even have to remember her name, just a general outline of the circumstances. Everyone knows race has nothing to do with anything, anything at all (footnotes left out as they create a formatting nightmare).

Over the summer, girl from Freeport .  It was all over our news.  They ended up finding her dead.

I've seen a few other missing persons posts along the lines of "why aren't we talking about this person" but the circumstances were different and not just race.  

The known suspect is the key to a big story.

• I've seen a few other missing persons posts along the lines of "why aren't we talking about this person" but the circumstances were different and not just race.  

The known suspect is the key to a big story.
    We have a lot of special needs teens that go missing that get broadcasted.
  • Maybe he went on a walkabout?  Not sure how long one can live off the land in the everglades?
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Maybe he went on a walkabout?  Not sure how long one can live off the land in the everglades?
    Growing up down that way, my friends and I would all aim for a live-off-the-woods week; we never lasted that long, though. There’s only so much saw palmetto a person can eat. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Jon Benet Ramsey Part II?

How many people every day die...and we fixate as a country (I know it was shared this is somehow global news) on a single case.

Not saying it is not sad, but the coverage is also sad.  16,000+ people were murdered in the US in 2019. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    yeah, but Im not going to pay attention to 44 cases a day
  • I guess you both missed the part where I said the main reason was because of her social media following.....
    No I caught that too. But you also mentioned “whiteness” like that matters. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    I guess you both missed the part where I said the main reason was because of her social media following.....
    No I caught that too. But you also mentioned “whiteness” like that matters. 
    you don't think it has any bearing on how the media treats these cases? none at all?

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

710 indigenous people (mostly women) went missing in that same area between 2011-2020. did we hear of any of them?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Juarez maquiladora workers, anyone?
    I SAW PEARL JAM